• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Even if you don't believe in the climate crisis...we're going to save you too!

paraphrase of May but kick ass...
She should come out and say that then instead of continuing with this spineless appeal to the widest possible audience for her parties' quite frankly unremarakble (for a left-fringe party) environmental policies.
edit: thought this was a response to Kernel. Still feel the point is relevant though.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
If we can go another week without May waffling on some regressive shit that her candidates put forward I will take my L but I generally feel like I know trends when I see them

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

FFS don't let these people win.

And this is from PoliEra:

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney told oil executives that environmental groups might think twice about exercising their right to protest if Alberta took a firmer approach, citing Russian autocrat Vladimir Putin as one example.

In a fiery but carefully-worded speech to oil executives at the Oil Sands Trade Show in Fort McMurray Tuesday, Kenney worked to encourage resentment and animosity between business leaders and environmentalists.

"They figure they could push us around, that we were the weakest kid in the school yard," Kenney told the oil executives. "You know what happens in the school yard? The bully normally picks on the kid who doesn't push back."

Kenney was promoting controversial plans to create a $30 million "war room" and launch a public inquiry targeting environmental groups, when he cited examples of autocratic regimes known to jail or murder their critics in an apparent attempt to explain why Alberta needs to get tougher with environmentalists.

The Premier shared one anecdote, claiming Putin sends environmentalists to prison camps in Siberia and are never seen again — Kenney suggested he wouldn't advocate doing that in Canada, but underlined his belief that Putin's approach to dealing with environmentalists is very "instructive"

They're fascists.

This country is in serious danger.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Labour unrest a constant reminder of austerity under conservative governments.

A rare riding level polling in quebec riding.

Also, Leger poll.

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
The Conservative party is swinging hard right like the rest of the world right now. I just hope we can weather this storm.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Is there anything the Green party has said they won't allow their MPs to do? I mean, if the gates have been thrown wide open to allow them to push for harsh abortion laws and Quebec separatism, what else is on the table?

Recriminalization of marijuana?
Stripping Canadian citizenship from immigrants?
Appropriating land from our native populations and selling it to foreign investors?

What aren't they cool with? Can they even be regarded as the party that's most looking out for the environment and climate change if they're so flexible on everything else?

And yes, voting correctly is imperative at all costs to keep Canadians from being held hostage by the Fascist Conservatives.

Of course now the CBC talking heads are trashing Singh saying he was all over the place in contrast with the 'skillful' PM. Good grief the media bias is so obvious and incredible.
Nothing scares the entrenched media than the NDP gaining a foothold of power ANYWHERE in this country. (Not that they have anything to worry about on that front this campaign.)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Cons getting desperate and whistling for corrupt foreign help.

Let's see those new election laws in action! Help our American friends get some data to help secure their election where they can next year.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fucked up that you can draw a line from Gamergate to Trump to this.

I still can't believe there was a time when, as with the dawn of television, people looked at the Internet/social media, with unfiltered, unregulated content delivery and, like television, thought, "Of COURSE this is going to bring education, enlightenment, and critical thinking. Who's going to turn this into a vehicle for entertainment and propaganda when it can reach so many people instantly?"

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
LPC inching towards majority mandate.

It would be nice for a major Leftist party to win, particularly in a period where the Right-Wing parties worldwide are taking over....

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that Alberta is voting 60% conservative? lol... disgusting. Backwards fucking shit province full of bigoted rural hicks.

I hope Edmonton will at least go LPC. Seems to be the one city in that province that actually tries to be progressive. Calgary is a lost cause.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that Alberta is voting 60% conservative? lol... disgusting. Backwards fucking shit province full of bigoted rural hicks.

I hope Edmonton will at least go LPC. Seems to be the one city in that province that actually tries to be progressive. Calgary is a lost cause.

As someone who grew up in Edmonton but then left in the 90s, how did this happen? That Edmonton could be a bit more liberal while Calgary went more conservative? Does the presence of the U of A have anything to do with it?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

FFS don't let these people win.

And this is from PoliEra:

They're fascists.

This country is in serious danger.

Again, I take pleasure in the fact that they're fucking up the lives of their own kids or grand kids.
In the future Elon Musk is going to live on Mars with Earth-slaves sending supplies to him, but none of these people will be invited on his spaceship. :p

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Time for the daily Green Party fuck up.

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May denies that one of her candidates wants Quebec to split from Canada, despite MP Pierre Nantel saying as much one day earlier.

"He is not a separatist. He's a strong Quebecer within the context of Canada," she said Wednesday at an event to launch her federal election campaign in Victoria.

"I'll be talking to Pierre to make sure because we will not have a candidate who thinks they can work to break up our country," she added. "That's not on."

Oct 27, 2017

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

Why are you surprised at this? The province has been in a recession (or experiencing negligible growth) for half a decade now, sustained economic stress is always reflected in voting. The LPC will likely only lose 3-4 seats they had anyway. There are plenty of "rural hicks" out east you could equally focus your anger upon, they're the ones that will actually impact the election. Currently polls have CPC winning BC, AB, the prairies and rising numbers in QC, AB is the least of concerns.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
That is a depressing stat. That more than a third of Canadians will vote Cons. Haven't we learned from the last time. Yikes.

Something something taxes. Something something economy.

I'm actually pretty disengaged with the election right now. Ottawa is opening up our new light rail this saturday and I'm turning into a big rail nerd. City will finally start its first steps to the 21st century. This and the drunk racoons are really the biggest news item in Ottawa.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That is a depressing stat. That more than a third of Canadians will vote Cons. Haven't we learned from the last time. Yikes.

There's always going to be a 35%ish voter base for them.
Something something taxes. Something something economy.

I'm actually pretty disengaged with the election right now. Ottawa is opening up our new light rail this saturday and I'm turning into a big rail nerd. City will finally start its first steps to the 21st century. This and the drunk racoons are really the biggest news item in Ottawa.

Man growing up in Ottawa I never thought it would happen.

Well I saw the O-train go up.

Now years after I move away they finally do it.

The Sens arena will never happen though lol.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Yah, the Sens arena is part of phase 3. Which won't start until 2031. LOL. Stupid hockey traffic.

I wish I had this online when I was at Carleton. The O-train wasn't enough by itself.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. This attempt at astroturfing against the greens with this Nantel non-story is hilarious.
Here, at least try something a little fresh that applies to and informs readers about all parties.

Bill 21 is something all leaders were discussing. There's video responses in the link.

It's not astroturfing as much as shining a light on the normally hidden views of the greens. You've been in here the last few pages being a bit insufferable with your proping up the greens cause they are "environmentalist" while completely ignoring the ugly truth that they are nothing more than cons in green shirts who would be fine going back on important social issues that many minorities never want to go back on. You're basically a less fun gutter, cause as bad as he is, say least he sides with a party that isn't total garbage.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, I'm more excited for the LRT than the election right now also. It's been such a long time coming. I'm debating whether I should head out on Saturday and do an end-end ride LOL

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to imagine having a worse position on Quebec separation than the Liberals or NDP, but somehow the Greens managed it with their 'it's not part of our core platform so our MPs can voice any any feeling they want on it' policy.

Green MPs will be allowed to press for Quebec separatism in Parliament
Nantel, who is running for the Greens after he was booted from the NDP for secretly meeting with Green Leader Elizabeth May in August, told the radio station that he would vote to separate if there was a sovereignty referendum in Quebec.

Speaking in French, he said "we should separate quickly."

Asked why he isn't running for the Bloc Québécois, Nantel said he believes he should push for Quebec interests at the federal level while the province remains a part of the country.

In a statement to the Star Tuesday evening, Green spokesperson Rosie Emery said any MP representing the party would be allowed to espouse separatist views because the unity of Canada is "not one of the party's core values."

"Although the Green party has the utmost respect for the unique culture of Quebec, it does not support the sovereigntist movement," Emery said in an emailed statement. "However, (the Green party) does not whip votes and individual MPs are allowed to express their own opinions on this matter. Since our position on Quebec sovereignty is not one of the party's core values, candidates who support the movement are not screened out by our vetting process."

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm more excited for the LRT than the election right now also. It's been such a long time coming. I'm debating whether I should head out on Saturday and do an end-end ride LOL

I'm thinking of doing it. My mother who lives near the westboro station wants to try it out. I might head out later in the afternoon cause I hear they're holding events at every station up until 4:30. Or I can just take it easy on the Sunday.

It's hard to imagine having a worse position on Quebec separation than the Liberals or NDP, but somehow the Greens managed it with their 'it's not part of our core platform so our MPs can voice any any feeling they want on it' policy.

I find it so convenient that these policy items from the Greens keep making the news in the same way the Liberals are releasing videos of Scheer in an almost scheduled process. Something doesn't smell right.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm thinking of doing it. My mother who lives near the westboro station wants to try it out. I might head out later in the afternoon cause I hear they're holding events at every station up until 4:30. Or I can just take it easy on the Sunday.
I'm debating either doing it on Saturday, or on Monday on my way home from work. Unfortunately though, I'm Nepean region, so it'll only be like 2 stops to get to Tunney's.

I find it so convenient that these policy items from the Greens keep making the news in the same way the Liberals are releasing videos of Scheer in an almost scheduled process. Something doesn't smell right.
I was thinking the same thing a couple hours ago. It's awfully convenient that all of a sudden after the Green Party has been pulling in the low double digits for a couple weeks straight that all of this dirt is just magically making itself known. Either the Greens are the most incompetent party ever to kneecap themselves when they are finally being taken seriously, or somebody has it out for them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This is what's going to happen:

Dion's report, released last month, concluded Trudeau had contravened the Conflict of Interest Act when he tried to pressure former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould into intervening to head off criminal proceedings on corruption charges against the Montreal engineering giant.

"Clearly the RCMP are taking this seriously enough to start investigating individuals in the Prime Minister's Office," Scheer said Wednesday.

Is the RCMP really investigating people in the PMO? During an election campaign?

The RCMP has never said it is investigating the Liberal government — or, as Scheer claimed, people in the PMO — in relation to the SNC-Lavalin affair.

The most the national police force said, when everyone was looking for a reaction to the report from the ethics commissioner, was that it was "examining this matter carefully with all available information" and would follow up if need be.

This is going to be our Hillary's emails this election.

This nothing burger will dominate headlines.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is what's going to happen:

This is going to be our Hillary's emails this election.

This nothing burger will dominate headlines.

In a way, its funny. Literally every election going back since the 2000's both Provincially (Ontario) and Federally, the current government has without fail been under investigation by either the RCMP, OPP or in a couple instances, both at the same time.

It really puts into perspective what a whole shit-show our governments have devolved into.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
It is indeed a story, not baloney, that the PMO is putting up barriers that will limit the effectiveness of the RCMP investigation into SNC Lavalin, just like the PMO put up barriers to limit access by the Ethics Commissioner.

The article in question:

Ottawa blocks RCMP on SNC-Lavalin inquiry

The RCMP has been looking into potential obstruction of justice in the handling of the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., but its examination has been stymied by the federal government's refusal to lift cabinet confidentiality for all witnesses, The Globe and Mail has learned.

This means individuals involved in the matter cannot discuss events or share documents with police that have not been exempted from the rule of cabinet confidentiality, according to sources, who The Globe agreed not to identify so they could discuss the RCMP inquiries.

In Canada, the principle of cabinet confidentiality is intended to allow ministers to debate decisions freely in private. As a result, discussions involving cabinet matters must be kept secret unless a waiver is granted. In the SNC matter, the Liberals say that the Clerk of the Privy Council, who heads the bureaucratic agency that serves the Prime Minister's Office, made the decision not to offer a broad waiver to either the RCMP or to the Ethics Commissioner, and that the PMO played no role.

A source who was recently interviewed by the RCMP told The Globe that investigators indicated they are looking into possible obstruction of justice. The Criminal Code says obstruction of justice occurs when an effort is made to "obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice in a judicial proceeding."

The national police force will pause the operation because of the coming election campaign. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is scheduled to go to Rideau Hall Wednesday to ask the Governor-General to dissolve Parliament and call the vote for Oct. 21, and the RCMP has a policy to suspend politically sensitive operations during campaigns.

Justice Department spokesman Ian McLeod said the decision not to offer a broader waiver for the RCMP "was made solely by the Clerk of the Privy Council as guardian of cabinet confidences." Mr. Trudeau's director of communications, Cameron Ahmad, said the PMO was not involved in the decision.

Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion faced the same obstacle as the RCMP in his investigation into the SNC-Lavalin affair earlier this year, stating in his final report that nine witnesses were unable to provide full testimony because government allowed only a limited waiver on cabinet secrecy.

Mr. Dion found that Mr. Trudeau breached the Conflict of Interest Act. His report said the Prime Minister and senior federal officials improperly pressed Jody Wilson-Raybould when she was justice minister and attorney-general to order the director of public prosecutions to settle bribery and fraud charges against SNC-Lavalin without a trial.

The Department of Justice confirmed Tuesday that the RCMP received "the same access to cabinet confidences and privileged information" as the Ethics Commissioner and the justice committee of the House.

An order in council dated Feb. 25 offered a waiver to Ms. Wilson-Raybould and "any persons who directly participated in discussions with her" about the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin during her time as attorney-general. She was moved to Veterans Affairs on Jan. 14. The waiver allowed Ms. Wilson-Raybould to talk to the justice committee and the Ethics Commissioner, but did not extend further.

The Ethics Commissioner's report said a number of discussions between members of the PMO, ministerial staffers and officials at SNC-Lavalin were conducted without Ms. Wilson-Raybould's knowledge, and therefore were not covered by the waiver. The former minister is running as an Independent in the riding of Vancouver-Granville.

The RCMP has not officially launched a criminal investigation. The police force has said it is "examining this matter carefully with all available information." The examination is in the hands of the RCMP's national division, which is in charge of sensitive cases.

Last month, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said "significant grounds" existed for an investigation into whether Mr. Trudeau's action constituted obstructing justice.

Former RCMP commissioner Bob Paulson, who retired in 2017, said it will be difficult for the Mounties to complete their examination unless the government waives cabinet confidentiality entirely.

"The government is entitled to assert privilege …" Mr. Paulson said in an interview. "If [the RCMP] were serious enough, they could probably get a search warrant, but that would probably be shot down by the courts. The privilege is pretty strong at the cabinet level. I have not had an experience where we succeeded in getting cabinet documents that the government didn't want us to have."

He added: "In my experience, particularly, cabinet privilege is overasserted and I guess more widely applied than it deserved."

Mr. Paulson, who said he has no information on the RCMP probe, said it makes sense that the Mounties would focus on obstruction of justice.

"It strikes me there is sufficient information to be pursued," he said. "One need to only read the section [of the Criminal Code] on the elements of the offence and to put that against what the public record is and I think you have something that needs to be explored."

Mr. Paulson said the RCMP brought in new rules after an investigation came to light during the 2005-06 election campaign that may have contributed to the defeat of the Liberal government of Paul Martin. During the campaign, the RCMP sent a letter to the NDP saying it would conduct a criminal probe into allegations that Liberals leaked information to the financial markets on how they intended to handle the taxation of income trusts.

The force later announced that it would avoid discussing criminal investigations during election campaigns.
"We have a sensitive investigation policy that addresses this very thing. If the writ is dropped and particularly during the writ period – unless there is some compelling public reason to keep investigating – they are not going to keep investigating. Certainly if they are, they would be wise to just shut up about it," Mr. Paulson said.

The RCMP started looking into the SNC-Lavalin issue after The Globe revealed on Feb. 7 that officials in the PMO put pressure on Ms. Wilson-Raybould to order prosecutors to negotiate a deferred prosecution agreement in the case, which would avoid a trial in exchange for a financial settlement.

In his report, Mr. Dion said he had been hampered from conducting a full investigation because nine witnesses were prevented from sharing information they felt was relevant. "In the present examination, I have gathered sufficient factual information to properly determine the matter on its merits," he wrote. "Because of my inability to access all cabinet confidences related to the matter, I must, however, report that I was unable to fully discharge the investigatory duties conferred upon me by the [Conflict of Interest] Act."

These nine people, whom he did not identify, told him revealing this information would breach cabinet confidentiality. The Privy Council rejected Mr. Dion's request for a waiver.

A lawyer for Mr. Trudeau told Mr. Dion the Prime Minister played no role in Privy Council Clerk Ian Shugart's decision to deny the request.

Still, Mr. Trudeau has publicly supported the decision. "The decision by the Privy Council to not further extend into less relevant or non-relevant elements of cabinet confidentiality or solicitor-client privilege is an important one that maintains the integrity of our institutions and our capacity to function as a government without setting troublesome or worrisome precedents," he said last month.

Mr. Paulson said RCMP investigators are entitled to talk to any witnesses, but can't they compel people to talk to them if the government refused to waive cabinet confidentiality.

"It is up to the people to either assert privilege or decline to talk to us. My philosophy has been to be aggressive in pursuing the people who had information and then having them assert whatever reason they had not to talk to us," he said. "The witnesses generally talk to police unless they were protecting privilege."

It is no surprise really. The PMO and all the actors involved have been extremely evasive about the whole issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.