• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
I've always figured that the trendline in the polls is more important than the actual numbers. I like to imagine that polling is at least internally consistent even if it's not statistically accurate. And the trend has been liberals up, so that's good right?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed polls tend to bounce around a bit when big policy announcements come out. The CPC had their first tax cut announcements out first, right? I think we may see some more bouncing around in other directions now that the other parties are announcing things too.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Andrew Scheer's people say they're not troubled by the modest turnout of supporters at some of the Conservative leader's public campaign events. In fact, they say it's all part of the strategy.

While that might sound counterintuitive, a senior Conservative source said the campaign would rather see its volunteers out knocking on doors and handing out lawn signs instead of spending time and energy on organizing traditional rallies where supporters are used as a "human backdrop."

Scheer was asked about his crowd sizes on Tuesday during a news conference in Winnipeg, a day after an enthusiastic but small group of around 200 people showed up to watch Scheer's stump speech in Calgary.

LOL "it's all part of the plan".

No one is excited to see the pod person speak.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer voted against C-16? Don't tell me he believed that crap about "hurr durr the police are gonna put you in prison if you misgender someone".

Guess that's one more reason to hate him.

Well if Jordan Peterson said so, it must be true.

A position of strength? Andy can't even stand up to Trudeau.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
So when is the Libs gonna drop the big announcements and platform? I wonder if they'll have another quiet weekend or announce something big to talk about tomorrow.

The Libs won the last election because they did an unprecedented in a generation lurch to the left, surprised people with big bold promises, and turned out a whole bunch of new young and indigenous voters which never voted before.

I dunno I feel like "We're raising old age security payments by 10%" is not gonna yield the same turnout....

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's nothing but random quote from newspaper with scientists saying that a new ice age was coming by the year 2000 and stuff like that. They don't quote or show any kind of data whatsoever, it's just quotes that turned out wrong.
Yeah, there was little doubt about man-made climate change even as far back as the 70s, but scientists disagreed about whether it would cause a warming or cooling trend. That was mostly settled by the late 80s.
Nope. My mother saw him on the first debate and thought he was weak and useless. Some actual quotes:

"If you want to weaken Trudeau, try keeping his name off your lips every 10 goddamn seconds!"
"Best he can do is slam Trudeau because he's got no good ideas of his own, what a loser."

Her conclusion was that if this was the best the Tories could come up with, Trudeau absolutely deserves to win. And she hates Trudeau, so... that was a lot for her to swallow to be able to say that.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
That's what calling the Tories out as far-right dickbags is for. It forces Scheer further towards the centre to win older centrists AND motivates the youth vote at the same time.

This did not work in 2006.

My concern with this strategy is that the youth are just like, "lol all politicians are the same fuck this shit" and we end up with like a sub 60% turnout.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This did not work in 2006.

My concern with this strategy is that the youth are just like, "lol all politicians are the same fuck this shit" and we end up with like a sub 60% turnout.
I assume we're going to have a similar turnout anyway. Nothing about this campaign has really been energizing.
Means testing! *shakes fist*

"Down Payment" wording tho presumably means that there is still the overall goal of universal dental care.
I feel like that's the only thing they could do to avoid the "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR IT WITH YOUR MAGIC MONEY TREE" accusations from both centrist parties.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
this why it's good to have him at the debates, to force Andrew Scheer to clarify his double speak
What if him being there makes Scheer seem like a normal person next to that nutjob and it helps him?

Trudeau: "Scheer is a far-right extremist"
Scheer: "Me? Look at that whackadoodle Mad Max over there. I'm sane."

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Maxime Bernier Twitter account is wild!

UaeobA8.gif

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
What if him being there makes Scheer seem like a normal person next to that nutjob and it helps him?

Trudeau: "Scheer is a far-right extremist"
Scheer: "Me? Look at that whackadoodle Mad Max over there. I'm sane."

That makes the right wing whackos need to go for Bernier. And Scheer is holding on tight to the crazies.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
CPC seems to be scoring own goals like crazy so far. Hopefully they continue to run up the score that way.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
No one posted Leger polls yet?

Regionals.

In Quebec, Liberal support was at 36 per cent, compared to 22 for the Bloc Quebecois, 21 for the Conservatives, 10 for the Greens, seven for the NDP and three for the People's Party.

In Ontario, Liberals enjoyed the support of 38 per cent, five points ahead of the Conservatives. The NDP were at 13 per cent, the Greens at 12 and the People's Party at four.

The poll suggests the Liberals held a commanding lead in the Atlantic provinces, with 46 per cent support, more than 20 points ahead of the second place Conservatives.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That makes the right wing whackos need to go for Bernier. And Scheer is holding on tight to the crazies.
They're not a big enough group that losing them would cost him enough votes. They're loud enough to attack Trudeau though to convince "centrist" they're right and a "sane" Scheer is someone worth betting on.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They're not a big enough group that losing them would cost him enough votes. They're loud enough to attack Trudeau though to convince "centrist" they're right and a "sane" Scheer is someone worth betting on.

It could go either way, Max seems like a rambling drunk.

It will be telling if all the candidates must attack Trudeau, then Mad Max is just a kamikaze candidate like Kenney had one in AB.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not about Max making gains, it's about everything that Trudeau says about Scheer is more true about Max and it can push "centrists" to Scheer if they think Trudeau is being hyperbolic about him. Never forget the number of LPC voters that see the CPC as their second choice.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about Max making gains, it's about everything that Trudeau says about Scheer is more true about Max and it can push "centrists" to Scheer if they think Trudeau is being hyperbolic about him. Never forget the number of LPC voters that see the CPC as their second choice.

Yeah that's a worrisome outcome.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We've seen how effective deplatforming nut jobs is so I hate people cheering one getting national tv coverage in the hopes it might help the LPC. It's super dangerous and I'd rather not see him at all. If Trudeau feels like he needs him there for the debate instead of him making Scheer look dumb by himself then that should concern people also.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
We've seen how effective deplatforming nut jobs is so I hate people cheering one getting national tv coverage in the hopes it might help the LPC. It's super dangerous and I'd rather not see him at all. If Trudeau feels like he needs him there for the debate instead of him making Scheer look dumb by himself then that should concern people also.

Trudeau said he wants him there?

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that's the only thing they could do to avoid the "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR IT WITH YOUR MAGIC MONEY TREE" accusations from both centrist parties.

Pretty much. Look at the framing on this article about the affordable housing announcement.

I spotted last night that Lib MP Adam Vaughan leapt into the mentions to do what you expect, and say that Singh can't pay for it. I just went to grab this tweet to post and he deleted his tweet lol.

Singh himself nails it. Who asked 'how are we gonna pay for it' when the Liberals spent $4B on a pipeline? Who asked for that?

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
This is funny, when American personalities (Katy Tur) start retweeting this, I never knew how engaged they are in our election.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Pretty much. Look at the framing on this article about the affordable housing announcement.

I spotted last night that Lib MP Adam Vaughan leapt into the mentions to do what you expect, and say that Singh can't pay for it. I just went to grab this tweet to post and he deleted his tweet lol.

Singh himself nails it. Who asked 'how are we gonna pay for it' when the Liberals spent $4B on a pipeline? Who asked for that?

The Left always suffers from a ridiculous media-enabled double standard with this sort of thing, it's exhausting.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

It definitely is. I'm really not convinced that giving this man such a huge platform can be beneficial in any way. We'll see.

And because it looks like we all need a bit of fun, seems like a good moment to repost the jingle Bernier had made for his campaign when he was a Conservative MP in 2015. So catchy!

Status
Not open for further replies.