• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Capital gains are only taxed upon realization, which is a fancy way to say when you sell an asset. The point of the wealth tax would be to tax assets on an ongoing basis and regardless of whether a profit is being realized on it.

I'd imagine it'd be implemented a lot like a management expense ratio in mutual funds and ETFs, at least insofar as public financial securities go. And similarly to property taxes for real estate. The difficult part seems like it would be valuing private corporations whose shares aren't traded on a public stock exchange.

Art should totally be included too. Also there's no good reason for lottery winnings to be excluded. I'd put it at 0.5% per year on all wealth on everyone with more than 2 million dollars in net worth, but excluding TFSAs, RRSPs and other tax advantaged accounts from that net worth calculation, and the assets inside such accounts wouldn't be subject to wealth tax.

I fundamentally disagree with the ongoing basis part because it leads to a whole lot of confusion when an asset is underwater, and can lead to hoarding of "loss" assets to lower the overall tax burden.

We already have tax loss harvesting as a strategy for tax rich people; I don't want them gobbling up the rest of the assets out there.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Another clue the Conservatives don't think they're going to win right now is that in the last few days they've started talking up Singh on TV, which to me implies the "NDP is tanking in certain key ridings" thing is real and the CPC need them to be doing way better.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Another clue the Conservatives don't think they're going to win right now is that in the last few days they've started talking up Singh on TV, which to me implies the "NDP is tanking in certain key ridings" thing is real and the CPC need them to be doing way better.

Everybody has been talking up Singh. LOL. I mean, he was mediocre at best during the debates. But I haven't really seen him elevate his game. And his policy proposals leave much to be desired.

Her being on Putin's shit list was enough for me, but that's good as well.

Oh yah, so proud she's on his shit list.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine it'd be implemented a lot like a management expense ratio in mutual funds and ETFs, at least insofar as public financial securities go. And similarly to property taxes for real estate. The difficult part seems like it would be valuing private corporations whose shares aren't traded on a public stock exchange.

Art should totally be included too. Also there's no good reason for lottery winnings to be excluded. I'd put it at 0.5% per year on all wealth on everyone with more than 2 million dollars in net worth, but excluding TFSAs, RRSPs and other tax advantaged accounts from that net worth calculation, and the assets inside such accounts wouldn't be subject to wealth tax.

Yeah that's how I look at it to. So basically for the ultra wealthy class, their return on their publicly traded investments is 4% instead of 5% (grasps pearls).

Art could be included tho I wonder if the returns would pay for the added overhead of the bureaucracy having to chase down the valuations of all that. Maybe?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Real estate is always tricky because everyone needs a place to live. We can live without stocks or lottery wins but shelter is essential. Some of these paper millionaires are old and retired with little savings; they could sell and cash out, but then they don't have anywhere to go. You can't force them to sell or downsize.

There's already a system in place to fix this issue (at least in BC). At a certain elderly age you can defer your taxes endlessly. The taxes are then paid by whomever inherits the estate.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Singh seems like a good dude but he sort of comes off like he's running for student council.

Yah, that's my impression as well. He seems the guy who doesn't have that big of an ego that's required to be First Minister. Of course i'd get a selfie with him. But it doesn't mean he'd get my vote. Ripping up USMCA or giving veto power to provinces doesn't strike me as common sense.

so Trump is pro-ISIS for being okay with Turkey steamroll over the Kurds

Trump is a fucking idiot. I don't think he stands for anything other than pandering to his ego.

Oct 27, 2017
I think people here are underestimating how much Singh comes across as more likable than Trudeau and Scheer, especially among young people. His personal brand is quite good right now.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I think people here are underestimating how much Singh comes across as more likable than Trudeau and Scheer, especially among young people. His personal brand is quite good right now.

No one is denying his likeability. Politically he's nothing special. He reminds me of a lot of the anti-establishment NDP supporters I used to know in University. He channels that well. But when you dig down, his policies are absurd.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Someone at work noted there was a research that came out which showed Trudeau actually fulfilled most promises among Canadian PMs. Anyone know if it's true and point me towards the article? Wouldn't mind sharing with friends and even feel good about voting Liberal as it stand I was only gonna do it to prevent Con winning in my riding...i am still pissed about several of Trudeau's broken promises. Tnx in advance.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
People have been talking up Singh because... he's been doing really well. In the few weeks of the campaign his popularity has increased 10 points.

Singh's popularity soars, but party fails to follow suit: Nanos

TORONTO – Over the course of the campaign, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's personal popularity has been steadily increasing, but the same can't be said for his party.

That's according to polling data from Nanos Research, commissioned by CTV News and The Globe and Mail, which saw the NDP leader's support surge 10 points from the beginning of September.

Pollster Nik Nanos said Singh's support has grown from 36 per cent on Sept. 13 to 46 per cent on Oct. 8. in a survey asking respondents which party leader possesses the qualities of a good political leader.

"What the research clearly shows is that the one big winner on the brand front has actually been Jagmeet Singh," he told CTV's Trend Line podcast on Wednesday.

At the moment it doesn't look like an Orange Wave is about to sweep the nation, but the upside for the NDP at least is that it seems like Singh has made some gains and positive connections. This probably means that even if, as expected, there's a substantial regression of NDP fortunes in Quebec, there's not going to be a rush to boot Singh from the leadership role.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
People have been talking up Singh because... he's been doing really well. In the few weeks of the campaign his popularity has increased 10 points.

At the moment it doesn't look like an Orange Wave is about to sweep the nation, but the upside for the NDP at least is that it seems like Singh has made some gains and positive connections. This probably means that even if as expected there's a substantial regression of NDP fortunes in Quebec, there's not going to be a rush to boot Singh from the leadership role.

The NDP needs to keep Singh. He's the best thing the NDP has going right now.

Someone at work noted there was a research that came out which showed Trudeau actually fulfilled most promises among Canadian PMs. Anyone know if it's true and point me towards the article? Wouldn't mind sharing with friends and even feel good about voting Liberal as it stand I was only gonna do it to prevent Con winning in my riding...i am still pissed about several of Trudeau's broken promises. Tnx in advance.

It's from a book.

Trudeau fullfilled 50% to completion, 40% partially. If you combine he gets around 90% promise fulfillment depending on your point of view.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ripping up USMCA or giving veto power to provinces doesn't strike me as common sense

I'd expect common sense from the NDP more than any other party.

It's either naivety or he's just taking up a contrary position to Trudeau just for the sake of it.

Trump don't seem to know anything about anything. He just do stuff depending on his mood and whim.

Or based on whatever Putin wanted for his B-day this year.

At the moment it doesn't look like an Orange Wave is about to sweep the nation, but the upside for the NDP at least is that it seems like Singh has made some gains and positive connections. This probably means that even if, as expected, there's a substantial regression of NDP fortunes in Quebec, there's not going to be a rush to boot Singh from the leadership role.
I would agree that Singh has had a good campaign. Also helped, probably, by still being relatively unknown to low-information voters, who would only be getting a real look at him now.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
He will never win in Quebec, I'm not sure how the NDP ever hopes to win without winning over QC.

He's a good representative of the party.

True, he would need a wave like in 2015. Which is hard to synthesize considering they would have to leave out Quebec AND the pairies. But he could do the work to set the stage for a leader who can. Either way, the NDP will need to figure out how they break through.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
True, he would need a wave like in 2015. Which is hard to synthesize considering they would have to leave out Quebec AND the pairies. But he could do the work to set the stage for a leader who can. Either way, the NDP will need to figure out how they break through.

A big NDP breakthrough could maybe be possible after a number of years of Conservatives government, where people would be a lot more inclined to vote to the left.

Right now is just not the right context for the NDP. Not with Trudeau leading the Liberals, who is generally liked and seen as progressive.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My girlfriend received her voter card... and a vote card with someone else's name on it? Any advice on what to do?
If you didn't get your voter information card or if the information on it is wrong, your voter information may not be up to date. Use the Online Voter Registration Service, contact your local Elections Canada office or call us at 1-800-463-6868 to check and update your information.

You must register or update your information before October 15 to get a voter information card in the mail.

For any other errors (e.g. with your name), contact your local Elections Canada office.

You can also register or update your voter information when you go to vote.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Conservative internal polling must be bad if they are still continuing to spread likely false rumours about trudeau in newspapers like the Sun

Spreading rumors about election fraud is even worse, although I've seen PP do that before.

I can see PM Scheer enacting an "Old Stock Canadian Elections Act"

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the tip. Next time I post a video of Prime Minister Blackface making an ass of himself I'll make sure it's from a more appropriate source.
I'm not entirely sure what's so hilarious about that clip. He's apologizing to kids who asked a tough question. I thought he handled it moderately well?

Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.