• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I can't find his post, but Smelly said he saw many PPC signs in Richmond, BC? That's great because that will take CPC votes away. The Richmond Centre MP almost lost last election, that doesn't help her for re-election if that's the case. Same applies for the Steveston-Richmond East CPC candidate,

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Andy keeps lyin'

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says that Elections Canada issued a ruling in support of the party's advertising practices, but the elections watchdog is contradicting that claim.
The agency said it simply provided guidance to the Conservatives in an e-mail this week, including a suggestion that the party should consider how the public might perceive its advertising decisions.

The Conservative Leader made the comment Wednesday as he defended the fact that his party and the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers have both awarded campaign advertising contracts to an ad firm co-founded by Mr. Scheer's campaign manager, Hamish Marshall.
Changes to the Canada Elections Act that took effect in June state that it is against the law for a political party to collude with a registered third party in areas such as advertising. The fact that both CAPP and the Conservative Party are using the same advertising firm during this campaign is raising questions as to whether those rules are being followed. The ad company says its work for the two clients is kept separate and CAPP said it complies with Canada's elections laws.
The contracts were first reported Wednesday by The Globe and Mail. The Globe previously reported in April that Mr. Scheer, Mr. Marshall and CAPP president Tim McMillan all spoke at a private gathering in Alberta to discuss strategies for defeating Justin Trudeau's Liberal government. At the event, Mr. Marshall spoke on a panel about "rallying the base" by using like-minded interest groups that operate independently of the party.

It feels like G&M is doing a slow drip on the ties between Scheer and the fossil fuel industry.

Last edited:

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I just don't understand it. I suppose in QC since we have our own separate QC pension plan the reality is different. From what I understood is that the guy is managing an investment fund and the current taxation level when you invest money in BC (taking into account the federal and provincial rate) is 13% on your savings. Which the guy think is really high compared to the total payrolls of his 800 people company (the 13% is much higher than the payroll of the whole company). So basically when you invest money the 13% tax directly goes into CPP?

Scheer then answer about TFSA (which is cut from the excerpt) and working to reduce this 13% tax on savings. I guess it makes sense if this tax goes all into CPP.

EDIT : In QC it's directly taken from my pays. Both my Public QC pension and private pension.

So, are we admitting that indeed it does seem quite likely scheer will target cpp?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

On the plus side: That's what we hoped the PPC would do.

On the negative side: @ millennials
4ea.jpg

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of fascism isn't demographically-bound.

Until something is done about the recruitment and radicalization of people online to fascist ideology it will ensnare more and more people over time.

If they don't win an election, they'll eventually do their own Mussolini march to Parliament Hill and take over.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brampton had a town hall with federal MPs and candidates, including the PPC, which had the odd white guy and a bunch of Uncle Tom Indians, many who could barely speak English. Speaking as a person of South Asian descent, it was embarrassing and hilarious at the same time, considering the PPC would ban immigrants like these candidates first.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Until something is done about the recruitment and radicalization of people online to fascist ideology it will ensnare more and more people over time.

If they don't win an election, they'll eventually do their own Mussolini march to Parliament Hill and take over.
And anything that happens to them as they choose to advance their cause in public will fall upon their own heads. They and their ilk have already claimed too many lives.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I can't find his post, but Smelly said he saw many PPC signs in Richmond, BC? That's great because that will take CPC votes away. The Richmond Centre MP almost lost last election, that doesn't help her for re-election if that's the case. Same applies for the Steveston-Richmond East CPC candidate,
That would be amazing if PPC ends up making the Cons lose.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PPC has to try to push the CPC to lean left through backends with contacts in the press and such, so that they themselves can present themselves as the real right. Every time the CPC doesn't go all out on abortion, against immigration, against gun control, against the environment, the PPC can come in and say some crazy stuff to pull the carpet from under their feet. But it doesn't seem like there's much money behind the PPC so they will remain marginal in their ability to take votes from the CPC.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone wants to listen to the entire Brampton town hall, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/CityBrampton/videos/393377308242516/

Trudeau, Singh, Scheer, and Bernier also sent a video message.

Be ready to cringe, especially if you're brown/South Asian...not to mention the moderator butchering everyone's name (don't worry, he's an equal opportunity butcher and messes up even "English"/"white" names).

The NDP candidates were the most outstanding of the lot, though.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
And anything that happens to them as they choose to advance their cause in public will fall upon their own heads. They and their ilk have already claimed too many lives.

I'm worried not enough people see what's brewing.

They're starting small by attempting to silence others first.

In broad daylight, a woman is captured on security camera footage taking a Liberal election sign from the front lawn of a home in south Windsor.

It happened Monday afternoon near the intersection of Northwood Street and Dominion Boulevard, according to former city councillor Al Maghneh, who posted security camera footage of the incident on social media.

Maghneh couldn't believe someone would remove an election sign so brazenly, so he asked the woman what she was doing.

"She said, 'We're starting with the cleanup of the small signs first,'" Maghnieh told CBC News, adding he explained that election day wasn't until Oct. 21.

In this case, the taken sign featured Windsor West Liberal candidate Sandra Pupatello.

Her campaign team confirmed they haven't directed anyone to remove election signs while the campaign is still ongoing

You have to be a messed up person to do this.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I fucking warned people that they would poison the electorate.

Like Singh said, Bernier never should have been there to begin with. Screw "civility", everyone who's responsible for getting him in there despite not meeting 2 of the 3 requirements for qualifying in the debate should never have a moment's peace in public ever again.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Like Singh said, Bernier never should have been there to begin with. Screw "civility", everyone who's responsible for getting him in there despite not meeting 2 of the 3 requirements for qualifying in the debate should never have a moment's peace in public ever again.

The debate commision should have stuck to its rules and kept them out. There was no reason why the PPC qualified to be there given that it failed to meet 2/3 requirements explicitly laid out by the commission. They held them to a complately different standard than even the bare minimum that the bloody Greens were held to.

We're going to come to regret opening up this pandora's box of trouble. Because now that its opened we won't be able to slam it shut again. These fuckers are going to only pull the electorate to the right, pull the conservatives more extreme and then pull a Reform and assimiliate themselves back in.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

I'd think they were already poisoned, Maxime just gave them someone to vote for. People who think Scheer is just a blue colored Liberal.

At least we will know how many we have to deal with.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd think they were already poisoned, Maxime just gave them someone to vote for. People who think Scheer is just a blue colored Liberal.

At least we will know how many we have to deal with.
While xenophobia is not an alien concept to Canada (see: literally any part of Canada's history, pre or post-Confederation) and exists in various forms from one coast to the other, Bernier being given a stage alongside the other major parties provides his fringe biker bigots a level of legitimacy that their views and party would not earn otherwise (at this point, it's doubtful that even Moron Max was going to hold his seat, let alone for the piss party to have any seats across Canada but who knows what new projection there is), nor would it have given them the opportunity to normalize their garbage politics. There is no doubt in my mind that Bernier's bile being given a place on the debate stage has radicalized at least one more Canadian than there would otherwise have been were his racist ass rejected by the commission and that fucking disgusts me.

That's just concerning the PPC part of the equation; we're already seeing the CPC try to appeal to these bigots with their recent anti-immigrant, anti-refugee policies that they announced on Roxham Road of all places. They are blowing that dog whistle as hard as they can.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
While xenophobia is not an alien concept to Canada (see: literally any part of Canada's history, pre or post-Confederation) and exists in various forms from one coast to the other, Bernier being given a stage alongside the other major parties provides his fringe biker bigots a level of legitimacy that their views and party would not earn otherwise (at this point, it's doubtful that even Moron Max was going to hold his seat, let alone for the piss party to have any seats across Canada but who knows what new projection there is), nor would it have given them the opportunity to normalize their garbage politics. There is no doubt in my mind that Bernier's bile being given a place on the debate stage has radicalized at least one more Canadian than there would otherwise have been were his racist ass rejected by the commission and that fucking disgusts me.

That's just concerning the PPC part of the equation; we're already seeing the CPC try to appeal to these bigots with their recent anti-immigrant, anti-refugee policies that they announced on Roxham Road of all places. They are blowing that dog whistle as hard as they can.

You're totally right.

And it gives me an opportunity to repost this tweet from the middle of last debate which I think is very funny, but also sadly accurate:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I saw and yeah I would absolutely love that.

(Not 100% sure which of the two Richmond districts the signs were at, Im not 100% sure which side of the riding lines they were - let's assume both)

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm disappointed that CBC is legitimizing Bernier by giving him a platform to espouse his bullshit

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the hope is that despite the polls, Liberals do a full sweep again to gain a majority and this causes a Conservative collapse. I can only hope NDP makes gains by eating into the conservatives, but a lot of the "working class" has been doing economically okay, so they're probably turning blue or at least more economically centrist in order to "protect their wages from taxation" more than anything.

I'm not a fan of the NDP repeating American "leftist" talking points much like I don't like the Cons using american right ones. Can we stop confusing ourselves with America?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I saw and yeah I would absolutely love that.

(Not 100% sure which of the two Richmond districts the signs were at, Im not 100% sure which side of the riding lines they were - let's assume both)

Aberdeen Mall is a good cutoff point.

I'm volunteering for the LPC incumbent for Steveston-Richmond East.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have some back-dated stuff to call back to because I've been wrapped up tight dealing with some work stuff, but first, to the Bernier tidbit:

Millennials are not a monolith and there are a contingent of them who get snookered into social conservatism, it's unavoidable. So let's not pretend that it's anything more than Bernier capitalizing on Scheer's minimal support from that generational cohort who would rather see a leader and a party that isn't trying (and failing miserably) to talk out of both sides of his mouth. For that voter group, only the direct approach and the loudest of dog whistles will suffice. It's the dark mirror of millennials who find Liberals too centrist for their taste, but those voters have enough election experience to know when alternatives might not be electable. Given that this is the first time many of these younger right-wing voters have had another option, they don't have that experience and are going to take the opportunity to vote elsewhere for the first time, with the same end result as it typically is for left-wing voters.

And the primary difference between Scheer and Bernier is the level of blatance in their proposals, very little else. Scheer will apply his veneer of acceptability to appeal to moderates and then immediately betray them as earliest opportunity, just like Harper did.

Does he realize that impeachment doesn't mean removal?
Does he know that impeachment doesnt mean removal?
I'm sure he knows this, but it's entirely feasible that, even if the Senate doesn't complete the impeachment (which is still a bit of a maybe, since Republican Senators might see it as their only way to maintain their electability as time goes on), it can serve to delegitimize the President in such a formal way that other world leaders may/will be less inclined to hold their tongues or couch their disgust and be able to get away with it.

I still don't agree with the decisions Singh has made regarding how he discusses how his relationship with Trump and the US would look like, but there's something to be said about how mere perception changes the nature of our relationship with Trump.

You want to finish the quote at least.

climate change is a real issue but it's unrealistic to think the country is going to completely change at the snap of a finger.
No one would suggest that, not even Thunberg. But there's no roadmap to get us where we need to be, either, and being disappointed by that lack is entirely realistic.

Yeah I got into a row with Tiktaalik about this. I think I'm done with the subject lol.

TBH(and I've spent too many hours the last few months reading on this) that's why JT bought the pipeline and won't let it die. We will be sued.

I'm not certain about why he approved it given that he cancelled Energy East and Northern Gateway with no apparent problems.

The full text of that agreement is confidential and you won't find it anywhere. A law professor with expertise in international trade read it before it was ratified and wrote many articles(and a book which I'm slowly reading) slamming it as did May and Mulcair at the time when the CPC was about to agree to it.

Like the Saudi deal It's very possible Harper left poison pill agreement like this forcing Canada to do things or be sued outside the courts. Both of these deals have a lot of non-disclosure clauses which prevent the government from saying much, which isn't normal at all.
So they can't even acknowledge that their arm has been twisted into buying the pipeline? If so, given how it would be extremely useful information to the public to know how Harper boned us, not being permitted to speak to the reason decisions are being made during an election is tantamount to foreign interference, in my book, because we would have been openly prevented from making an informed choice by having vital information hidden behind a gagged government.

But if not, or if there is a way around that, the government needs to air this dirty laundry in short order. And I think there absolutely should be a way to do so, even if it is not immediately apparent. Nothing's preventing the media from asking questions about it, even if only to get a no-comment, so they absolutely should be and touting it as election interference from an authoritarian regime regardless of the answer.

If this is such a pivotal aspect of this major wedge issue, where the hell is the reporting? China can't penalize a government for the independent media, after all.

Greens in second place in SK too tho.
I saw a lot of shock over this result in that one poll, but I've looked into it on the ground here, and GPC is actually running legit non-paper candidates in some key ridings here, which is very unusual for them and seems to have made a difference for reasons I'll explain shortly.
My mother is actually personally acquainted with the Green candidate in Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River (I hate how spelling this riding name autocorrects in "Mississippi") and the Green candidate has been working hard on the campaign trail, which is a first there. Less surprising is Shawn Setyo, leader of the SK Green Party, running in Saskatoon West, who had the benefit of being the only PoC candidate in a much more diverse riding than it was even 4 years ago, but that went away when the LPC FINALLY appointed a candidate in the riding and followed the Greens' lead. (just a side note on the reason I bring that up: many 1st-generation Canadians born of immigrant families and younger immigrants who are applying for citizenship in huge numbers are going into their first election and I can see that having a significant impact on demographics here.)
And campaigning to left-leaning households in SK that aren't exactly enamoured with Liberals at the best of times and could be reasonably worried about a very weak NDP feel like they need another party to pin their vote to. When the main left-wing party that gets elected here is so notably weak and the Liberals are a non-starter, for some left-wing voters, there's only one viable option left.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
DP cause y'all are asleep

The daily nanos back and forth. But the liberals has been consistently ahead of the CPC since the TVA debates.

Dunno why JT is wasting time in Carleton. Come to Kanata!

Last edited:

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
No matter how many seats they will loose. I hope Singh stays.
I feel like his personality started resonating with people but people have already been influenced by the polls.
Next time he might do a lot better.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I see a lot of articles and opinion pieces on JDM/JDQ speaking about how all the federal leaders, except Blanchet of course, are against the will of Quebecers because of the Bill 21 and how the ROC do not respect Quebec and blabla. I wonder how many of these will influence people to vote Bloc. This stupid bill seems to revive the souverainiste flame within some Quebecers, but mostly boomers, if I look at the comments sections of these websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.