• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I can't wait for this to end, my confidence levels are dropping

I see a lot of articles and opinion pieces on JDM/JDQ speaking about how all the federal leaders, except Blanchet of course, are against the will of Quebecers because of the Bill 21 and how the ROC do not respect Quebec and blabla. I wonder how many of these will influence people to vote Bloc. This stupid bill seems to revive the souverainiste flame within some Quebecers, but mostly boomers, if I look at the comments sections of these websites.
the Quebec media is skewed.

mostly owned by Pierre-Karl Péladeau a Right Wing Seperatist who holds a grudge towards both Federal Liberals and Provincial Liberals.

JdM is stacked with either Conservative Duplessistes or Seperatists.

you turn on TVA and LCN, the Show la Joute has zero Liberal representation, it's either Conservative or Péquiste on the show.

Quebec news media is shit.

the French version of CBC (Radio-Canada) tries too hard to compete with PKP's media and has lots of pro-PQ journalists/ anchors on the payroll

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
DP cause y'all are asleep

The daily nanos back and forth. But the liberals has been consistently ahead of the CPC since the TVA debates.

Dunno why JT is wasting time in Carleton. Come to Kanata!

Conservatives won that riding in 2015 only by 3% and 2000 votes. The Liberals must think it can swing their way.

Kanata seems to be close too but the incumbent is popular and the Conservative candidate is Faith Goody's bff.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Conservatives won that riding in 2015 only by 3% and 2000 votes. The Liberals must think it can swing their way.

Kanata seems to be close too but the incumbent is popular and the Conservative candidate is Faith Goody's bff.

Karen has been good, but I don't know if the general public knows about the badge of her rival.

Here, Quito confirms mainstreet polls is seeing what EKOS is seeing.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Can it be possible that Singh seem the most likeable but not leader material? That's my feeling about him. He's a nice and I think passionate guy but someone like Trump or the other idiots of the world would wreck havoc on him etc.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Can it be possible that Singh seem the most likeable but not leader material? That's my feeling about him. He's a nice and I think passionate guy but someone like Trump or the other idiots of the world would wreck havoc on him etc.

it definitely can
I'm fantasizing about an NDP liberal coalition with him being a minister right now

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I have had that dream for so long (ever since i was eligible to vote!).. an NDP-propped Liberal minority or coalition that would work but.. I'm not so sure if the taste for power from either party would just end up screwing the coalition over and leading to a Conservative upset.. again..???

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

The daily nanos back and forth. But the liberals has been consistently ahead of the CPC since the TVA debates.

Passed by his bus this morning. If I knew about this earlier, I'd have waited a bit to go to work 🤦‍♂️

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That riding has really exploded in population in the last few years, especially with immigrants. If PP gets booted I will be ecstatic. I think he's at the patch on Bankfield.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
haha this was the exact conversation I was having with my girlfriend last night, I think he seems smart and knows his policies, but I can't imagine his chilled out and relaxed attitude when speaking to other world leaders. Maybe I just need to see a clip of him really mad.

Oct 27, 2017
Due to the multiple regions in play and tight splits, this election could go multiple ways. I'd say a Con majority is the only thing that is out of the question, but a Con minority or Liberal minority are almost certain now. Looks like the Bloc is back, which is bad for Canada. I'd rather have a Con minority and get rid of the Bloc and PPC forever, if such a trade were possible. Neither should have a stage to espouse their views.

I think people here are too comfortable with the Liberals' chances. They have built-in regional advantages for seats...but a 5% swing in the 905 can turn a Lib majority into a Conservative minority.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If the NDP do form a coalition, i hope that Bouleric
Due to the multiple regions in play and tight splits, this election could go multiple ways. I'd say a Con majority is the only thing that is out of the question, but a Con minority or Liberal minority are almost certain now. Looks like the Bloc is back, which is bad for Canada. I'd rather have a Con minority and get rid of the Bloc and PPC forever, if such a trade were possible. Neither should have a stage to espouse their views.

I think people here are too comfortable with the Liberals' chances. They have built-in regional advantages for seats...but a 5% swing in the 905 can turn a Lib majority into a Conservative minority.
you are not a true progressive if you are okay with any form of Conservative government

a Conservative Minority can only survive with the support of the Bloc. Think about it, your Con minority would be powered by the Bloc

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

That's what's lot of people think. His personal favourables have increased higher than party support I believe.

Oct 27, 2017
If the NDP do form a coalition, i hope that Bouleric

you are not a true progressive if you are okay with any form of Conservative government

a Conservative Minority can only survive with the support of the Bloc. Think about it, your Con minority would be powered by the Bloc

I don't need a True Scotsman argument from you, someone who would excuse dictatorship if it meant a permanent Liberal government.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't need a True Scotsman argument from you, someone who would excuse dictatorship if it meant a permanent Liberal government.
Bruh, Singh clearly said that he will not support a Scheer minority.

The Bloc has lots of Province Rights deamnds that the Conservatives agree with and the Bloc would prop up a Scheer Minority and my brother would lose his job a Revenue Canada if that happens.

Oct 27, 2017
Karen has been good, but I don't know if the general public knows about the badge of her rival.

Millennials in general or conservative millennials? Because PPC is definitely eating into the idiot meme crowd on Reddit.
That's exactly what's happening.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

In the here and now, this is good. Vote splitting on the right is long overdue. For the future, though...

QCV4HHh.gif

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
When Blanchet says that 70% of Quebec wants Bill 21, is that a real stat?

Bloc Québecois Leader Yves-François Blanchet channeled the absent Premier François Legault and mentioned the don't tread-on-us popularity of Bill 21 in the province—65 to 70 per cent, and nearly half the population "strongly" backs it.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm really looking forward to tonight's debate. Very curious about how Blanchet will perform with everybody piling on him.

I kind of think the crazy trend upward of the Bloc needs to stop...

The PPC is gonna take over the CPC like Reform did to the PC party.
I think people focusing on the specific impact of the PPC are misguided. Conservative parties in the western world have been drifting rightward on a lot of these issues en masse. So while the Reform/Conservative split was a specific mechanism for taking the Conservative Party further right in Canada, the overall political environment suggests that would have happened anyway. Likewise, taking a gander at the CPC rank-and-file and the sorts of things they circulate on social media, I don't think that, even at maximal impact, Bernier would be nudging them in a direction they weren't already going.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the NDP repeating American "leftist" talking points much like I don't like the Cons using american right ones. Can we stop confusing ourselves with America?

What's an example of this and why does it turn you off?

Personally I see American politicians like Bernie and AOC as straight talkers standing up to the status quo, and it's been refreshing to hear this in contrast with the more timid, centrist left in Canada. I've been happy to hear Singh and others start to adopt some American ideas and messaging, such as 'Green New Deal' and a Wealth Tax.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
"To be 20 years old and vote Conservatives in the suburbs of Toronto"

An interview with three 20 years old that will vote Conservative this election. It is... interesting. The video has a mix of French and English.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh lays out 'urgent priorities' for a minority parliament

OTTAWA—Having already ruled out supporting a minority government led by the Conservatives, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is laying out his most "urgent priorities" for whoever else takes power after the election.

Speaking in Ottawa across the Rideau Canal from Parliament on Thursday morning, Singh said he is running to become prime minister, but that he wants Canadians to know that New Democrats will push for a host of immediate issues regardless of who wins the most seats on Oct. 21.

"These are our terms of what we're going to fight for," Singh said, stating they will be conditions for supporting another party in a minority parliament.

"Whoever wants to sit down with us has to take seriously and has to deliver action on these things before we can move forward."

Singh said his six priorities are:

Universal, public pharmacare for all Canadians and public dental care for those that earn less than $70,000 per year. The NDP platform promised $10 billion per year to work with the provinces and set up a system to cover prescription medication for all Canadians by the end of 2020. "People cannot afford to wait another four years, or longer," Singh said Thursday.

More affordable housing. The NDP has called for an extra $5 billion in the next year and a half to start building 500,000 new affordable housing units. Singh said the NDP also wants to see a foreign buyer's tax imposed across the country to curb speculation in the housing market.

Waive the interest on federal student loans.

"Bold action" to fight climate change
. Singh said Thursday this should include more stringent targets for emissions reduction, the immediate elimination of federal fossil fuel subsidies, and help for workers transitioning out of these industries.

Implementation of the NDP's "super wealth tax." The NDP wants a new 1 per cent tax on all wealth — property, stocks, income, and more — that exceeds $20 million.

Cap cell phone and internet bills. Singh also underscored the NDP's desire to change the electoral system to make it more proportional to the popular vote, as well as increased spending for infrastructure and services for Indigenous communities, but did not include this as one of his urgent demands.

"Our six commitments are the urgent things we need to fix right away," he explained. "If you vote New Democrat, you'll get someone who is going to fight for these things."

Weeks ago, before the campaign officially started, the NDP ruled out supporting a Conservative minority government led by Andrew Scheer over "disgust" with his past statements against same-sex marriage.

Interesting stuff. Normally if you're 'running to be PM' (whether that's actually in the cards or not) you don't say this sort of stuff (ie. your support demands) before Election Day, but I wonder if getting this sort of message out there makes some sense in Quebec, where there will be voters perhaps choosing between Liberal, Bloc and NDP, and comparing what two parties will do in a minority parliament (ie. Bloc and NDP) is useful information to the voter.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I h

I'm sure he knows this, but it's entirely feasible that, even if the Senate doesn't complete the impeachment (which is still a bit of a maybe, since Republican Senators might see it as their only way to maintain their electability as time goes on), it can serve to delegitimize the President in such a formal way that other world leaders may/will be less inclined to hold their tongues or couch their disgust and be able to get away with it.

I still don't agree with the decisions Singh has made regarding how he discusses how his relationship with Trump and the US would look like, but there's something to be said about how mere perception changes the nature of our relationship with Trump.

He deflected a question with a joke that under scrutiny was kind of dumb. Doesn't mean he's unfit to lead but if Scheer had said the same thing it would be seen as a deflection.

Oct 25, 2017
The Bloc was a useful cudgel to beat down the CPC in Quebec, but now I'm worried that they're gaining too much popularity once again. Yet another debate in French seems like it will only benefit the Bloc, as they're just using Bill 21 endlessly now as their rallying cry.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
What's an example of this and why does it turn you off?

Personally I see American politicians like Bernie and AOC as straight talkers standing up to the status quo, and it's been refreshing to hear this in contrast with the more timid, centrist left in Canada. I've been happy to hear Singh and others start to adopt some American ideas and messaging, such as 'Green New Deal' and a Wealth Tax.
Because we're not America and it makes someone sound like a completely out of touch ideologue if you parrot another nation's political group's talking points. It's amateur hour stuff to be honest.

The Green New Deal refers to the New Deal from Rooselvelt to introduce more economic supports etc because America needed more welfare and it's brought up again because America lost its way and it needs to reintroduce a greenwashed version of social welfare and regulations. Wtf does that have to do with Canada given that we still at this time have these social supports and are working on things (albeit slowly) instead of dismantling everything like Trump and the GOP are doing to their country? Can't the Canadian left/progressive think of their own brand that is relevant to Canada's history? Don't just parrot "wealth tax" as if AOC or Bernie actually got that done so it's been proven (they haven't yet and not even close! what if it ends up a disaster? you want our efforts into similar policies to die the same way?). Call it the Canadian Reinvestment Expense Ratio or something at least lol.

A part of this is going to be due to some of the left's idealisms around an "international leftist identity and coalition" or something similar, I'm sure, but I personally want more nuance and applicability to our circumstances than that.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a good chance that the Bloc takes a majority of Quebec's seats, reducing the Liberals to second-place and allowing the CPC to form a minority.

Oct 25, 2017
"To be 20 years old and vote Conservatives in the suburbs of Toronto"

An interview with three 20 years old that will vote Conservative this election. It is... interesting. The video has a mix of French and English.

That 34 year old woman has EXACTLY the mindset of the current base of CPC support. Christian, fears religious suppression (only of Christians, of course) and thinks climate change is no big deal and we need to "secure our freedom." I guarantee you she's posting anti-Trudeau memes on the regular on FB.

I'm a few years older than her, and a Christian as well, and I could never square my ideals up with any sort of conservative rhetoric. It always blows my mind how easily they fall in line. Especially disappointing with the young 20 year olds just babbling about conservative talking points about Scheer being the best for the economy, etc.

I'm so tired of this ride. I want to get off.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
There's a good chance that the Bloc takes a majority of Quebec's seats, reducing the Liberals to second-place and allowing the CPC to form a minority.

What exactly is this statement based on?

The Bloc's resurgence is problematic, but the polls are still showing a healthy lead for the Liberals in Quebec.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting stuff. Normally if you're 'running to be PM' (whether that's actually in the cards or not) you don't say this sort of stuff (ie. your support demands) before Election Day, but I wonder if getting this sort of message out there makes some sense in Quebec, where there will be voters perhaps choosing between Liberal, Bloc and NDP, and comparing what two parties will do in a minority parliament (ie. Bloc and NDP) is useful information to the voter.

Doubt his demands would ever be taken seriously as outlined in this thread posted previously.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Layton almost killed the Bloc in 2011. I wish they stayed down.

Yeah, Layton nearly killed them a first time, and then their weird internal power struggles with Martine Ouellet nearly killed them a second time. At the beginning of this campaign I was sure the Bloc was dead... It's impressive how they could rise again and become so strong.

I kind of wish they would have stayed down too. Especially in this election.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of weasel Pierre is worth the trouble, but PMJT needs to push hard on Quebec in the face of this Bloc resurgence. I can't wait for this election to be over.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Watched Singh's interview this morning and had to shake my head at him referring to people in Quebec who support Le Pen as the problem in Canada when he himself sympathetically associates with those who celebrate Sikh terrorists who murdered Canadians. Singh's a hypocrite and coward and won't use some of that so-called strength of his he claims to have against those Sikh terrorist sympathizers and at least condemn the behavior.
It was so funny hearing how many times he said the word 'you' in his statement playing on all that selfishness. We're here for you. you. you. not us. not together. you. you . you. This fake caring for the Canadian community posturing is awful.

On the subject of visiting provinces, it's good that one reported asked Singh about why he hasn't visited Manitoba, and has hardly been seen in Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, PEI, and Newfoundland yet speaks about being a voice for Canadians. How is that when he doesn't go and talk to them.
The most interesting news this morning from a Sask pundit was that the NDP might lose all their seats in Saskatchewan. Libs might pick up one in the north with a solid candidate.

CBC radio had Kenney on and asking him about national unity and pointing out that he's busy campaigning in Ontario for Scheer. The Alberta pundit later was crying about empty office towers in Calgary like that's a sob story. Put some homeless people in them then. Wages are still incredibly high in Alberta and maybe if they developed more responsibly they wouldn't be overdeveloped now and have some cash in the bank instead of having pissed it all away when O&G were high.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Opposition is one thing, governing is a whole different ball game.

Yep, Horgan's NDP/Green coalition sure love pipelines and fracking quite a bunch after campaigning on hating pipelines and being pro-environment.

Edit: That link was from 2016, my mistake, but they're still doing fracking and are totally on board with the pipelines.

Here's a better article that's recent.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt his demands would ever be taken seriously as outlined in this thread posted previously.

Lol read the article. The big deal breakers (ie. TMX) aren't in his demands. The demands are all things that ought to be 'doable' by a Liberal government.

edit: From the more succinct CBC article:

• A national, single-payer universal pharmacare plan a national dental care plan.
  • Investments in housing.
  • A plan to waive interest on student loans.
  • A commitment to reduce emissions, to end subsidies for oil companies and to deliver aid to oilpatch workers to transition them out of fossil fuel industries.
  • The introduction of a "super wealth" tax and a commitment to closing tax loopholes.
  • Reducing cellphone bills.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Lol read the article. The big deal breakers (ie. TMX) aren't in his demands. The demands are all things that ought to be 'doable' by a Liberal government.

edit: From the more succinct CBC article:

No one is going to green light all those demands considering the NDP will make up a small part of a coalition government. At best they'll negotiate small enhancements to current liberal plans but they're in no position to dictate terms. Maybe 1 , if you're lucky, cabinet position but you're dreaming that a national pharmacare plan based off of NDP requirements will all of a sudden be okayed by the winning party.

Status
Not open for further replies.