• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Scheer began the election campaign in Vaughan on Sept. 11, pitching his affordability message to 905 residents. But in the dying days of the campaign, his message has shifted in emphasis to dark warnings of New Democrats propping up a minority Liberal government unless Scheer gets a majority mandate on Monday.
lol, pathetic.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Tuesday Morning will be the reckoning of all the Aggregators.

Robert Martin
Eric Grenier
Philippe J. Fournier
and *cough* Bryan Breguet *cough*

will all be judged

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Scheer and the Conservatives need to pick up seats in the GTA if they have any hope of gaining power after Monday's vote. But Conservative sources both involved in the Scheer campaign and in Toronto were not optimistic that the vote-rich 905 will turn blue in a big way.

This is key. Internal polling showing CPC softness in 905.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
FIPA is the real reason why they're signing off on all these projects in BC. If it wasn't and they just wanted more pipelines, then the Libs would've pushed for Keystone XL(was 100% possible during Trump's first two years in office) and sure why not, Energy East in Quebec, because Justin just loves pipelines.

It's not about just any pipelines, it's about pipelines that benefit China, which Energy East Isn't to my understanding.

Trudeau cancelled Northern Gateway and banned tankers from northern BC coast so that should have cost Canada a big chunk of $$.

Just look at any energy projects and see if China is involved and if the answer is yes then you know why it's going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to Scheer's little troll smirk getting wiped off his face tomorrow and the collective shriek of conservative morons ringing out through the internet as we continue to move forward as a country.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Despite Ottawa's widespread efforts to prevent online disinformation from distorting the election campaign, a website based in Buffalo, New York, has been freely posting viral stories about Canadian politicians that have no apparent basis in fact — and there's nothing the Canadian government can do to stop it.
Since the beginning of the year, the Buffalo Chronicle has published unsigned articles based on unnamed sources that allege backroom dealings at the highest levels of the Canadian government. Several of the stories have been deemed false or unsupported by news organizations, including the Agence France-Presse, which was contracted by Facebook to debunk fake news.
The website is run by Matthew Ricchiazzi, 33, an Ivy League graduate who has sought office in several New York state elections but never got his name on the ballot.
A BuzzFeed News–Toronto Star investigation has confirmed that Ricchiazzi once offered to publish positive or negative coverage of political candidates for a fee. He also placed ads on his website for individuals and businesses that had never heard of him.
Ricchiazzi would not agree to an interview before next week's election. However, in a reply to emailed questions, he wrote: "We report in good faith and would never knowingly publish a falsehood. We are confident in all of our reporting to date, and believe it reflects a fair articulation of information obtained from confidential sources."
Among the apparently uncorroborated stories published by the Buffalo Chronicle is one alleging former Supreme Court justice Frank Iacobucci "insisted" that former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould be kicked out of the cabinet. Another claims the former CEO of SNC-Lavalin and his wife fled Canada to avoid being arrested on bribery charges.
The website found real success with its report earlier this month that Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau paid more than $2 million to suppress a report about sexual misconduct. Despite being debunked by the Star, Snopes, and the Agence France-Presse, that story and its follow-up generated close to 100,000 shares, likes, and reactions on Facebook.
While the Buffalo Chronicle has been publishing stories about politics in western New York since 2014, a shift to sensational Canadian content earlier this year has brought Ricchiazzi success on social media. Eight of the Buffalo Chronicle's 10 most popular articles on Facebook are about Canadian subjects and were published in the last eight months. Collectively, they were liked, commented on, and shared on Facebook more than 200,000 times by accounts with a total of 4.4 million fans.
Facebook has refused to take down the Buffalo Chronicle posts. "Misinformation as a whole does not violate our community standards," a Facebook spokesperson said. "We don't have a rule that says that everything you post needs to be true."
This week, Ricchiazzi and the Buffalo Chronicle have had their Twitter accounts suspended. However, the posts remain online.

More in the link.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
Tuesday Morning will be the reckoning of all the Aggregators.

Robert Martin
Eric Grenier
Philippe J. Fournier
and *cough* Bryan Breguet *cough*

will all be judged
My impression is that Frank Graves and Evan Scrimshaw (leantossup) are relatively bullish about Liberal's majority chances.
Quito Maggi and Robert Martin are less so but still insist on a very strong majority ~160 seats of so.
The rest are all "really close" or "slight Liberal plurality"
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
While I'd greatly prefer a Liberal majority over a Conservative minority, I don't want to see another Liberal majority.

I don't want the Liberals rewarded with yet another majority after Trudeau broke his promise on electoral reform, and his handling of the SNC Lavalin debacle.

I would LOVE to see a Liberal minority where they are forced to work with the NDP! Historically, whenever the Liberals are forced to work with the NDP great things have happened.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And they're pro-Trump because Trump is anti-CCP. ANYTHING that disadvantages the Chinese government is considered the greatest thing ever to them, with no consideration for the harm it does elsewhere.

They're going to be disappointed to learn that Trump isn't as anti-CCP as he appears.

That's why they want post secondary education to be as hard as possible to get.

Keep 'em poor, keep 'em dumb, keep 'em voting conservative.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

What happened to that Liberal lead in Atlantic Canada?????

It's gonna be a bloodbath in New Brunswick. I think The North is gonna Stay Liberal but the south will be mixed with conservatives and liberals. Southern New Brunswick always fucks up when re-electing a liberal government because the conservative kool aid is too sweet to drink. I'll give an example.

The Fundy Conservative promised new jobs for a potash mine since Harper was in power, he did nothing for that area and is a backbencher and it looks it's headed back to conservative after 4 years of liberals.

Biggest Hypocrite in New Brunswick Federal politics.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
The poor voting against themselves is such a vicious cycle. Born into poverty > lower education > less opportunities for jobs > "they took our jobs" > the CPC will kick out all the immigrants!!!!!

People with lower education also tend to have children earlier, and therefore pass on the same cycle. It's just shitty.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I took a good brake from this thread and it was for the best.

At the very least it ends tomorrow. One of the most awful campaign I had to watch. Trudeau and Scheer weren't very interesting to see and it seems they both failed badly in their own way. It definitely won't end well for one of them tomorrow considering each one of them couldn't beat a weakened opponent. The fact both seems to be constantly polling at 30% no matter what isn't reassuring for what's ahead for us. May completely blew it considering how climate change became a hot topic and she couldn't get anything from it.

No matter what happens this country will be in trouble for the long run I feel. Prairies won't tolerate their oil being landlocked for long and all current possibilities won't help their case as a liberal minority or majority will not really push for more pipeline and a conservative minority won't survive a throne speech if he tries to push his program on the NDP.

This election also showed that some province are definitely more important and catered too than the rest which propably won't help for the overall mood after this underwhelming campaign.

Will be interesting to see how accurate the polls and projections were. They all failed pretty badly for the QC provincial election. Only Quito Maggi got it right for that one.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be an exciting Monday night watching the results come in if there's the tiny potential for another Lib Majority. I'll be hoping for a minority. It's served well in BC these last two years.

Jagmeet Singh says minority governments 'are a good thing' in final push for votes in B.C.

VANCOUVER—On the last day of a federal election campaign where Jagmeet Singh was all but written off as a contender for power, the leader of a newly invigorated New Democratic Party called on voters to entrust the NDP with at least enough influence to push the next parliament in a progressive direction.

"We know that the Liberals do not deserve a majority. They do not deserve your vote because they've let you down," Singh said, speaking at an orange lectern in a downtown community centre as the characteristic drizzle of this west coast city spattered the panes of glass behind him.

"Vote enough new Democrats and we'll form government. But vote enough of us either way, and we're going to make sure that your life is better," he said.

Singh's final pitch can be seen as an implicit argument against strategic voting to keep the Conservatives out of power, a familiar line of reasoning that Liberals have trotted out as national polls suggest the race for power in the next parliament could be very close. In his final news conference of the campaign, Singh echoed a declaration that B.C.'s NDP premier made during a jam-packed rally in Victoria this week, that "Canadians should celebrate a minority government."

"Minorities are a good thing. Yes, they are," Singh said Sunday, after stating in French that New Democrat MPs will use whatever power they earn in Monday's election to "force" the next parliament to the political left.

Last week, Singh laid out his "urgent priorities" for the next parliament, including pharmacare, dental care for Canadians that earn less than $70,000 per year, and more spending on affordable housing. The NDP will also press for the elimination of interest on federal student loans, "bold action" on climate change like the elimination of subsidies to fossil fuel companies, the implementation of its "super wealth tax" on the richest Canadians and a cap for cellphone and internet bills.

The possibility of the NDP implementing any of these policies seemed less realistic 40 days ago, when Singh launched the NDP's election campaign at a Goodwill centre in London, Ont., amidst concern about the party's limited war chest, retiring incumbents and low standing in the polls.

Since then, the NDP leader has seen a boost in voting intentions as Singh hammered the same left-populist message over and over: that Liberals and Conservatives are beholden to the wealthy and massive corporations, and that Canada needs to jack up taxes on the rich to pay for its expensive suite of priorities.

On Sunday, Singh summed up his campaign as "an incredible ride" that has seen the NDP leader speak to consecutively packed rallies in the days before the election, first in his political hometown of Brampton, where he first was elected as an Ontario MPP eight years ago, and then through B.C. as he hunkered down on the west coast to close out the race.

He accused Justin Trudeau and the Liberals of disappointing Canadians during their past four years in government, arguing they should have moved faster to implement pharmacare, build new affordable housing units and advance reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. And he accused the Conservatives of planning cuts to services as they seek to find savings to balance the budget in five years — a promise neither the Liberals or NDP are prepared to endorse.

Later, the NDP leader set out to greet voters in downtown Vancouver, where he strolled through the gay village amidst a steady rain and intermittent honking from passing cars, before stopping in to meet people as they ate brunch in a Davie Street restaurant.

After making calls from his campaign bus to NDP staff working phones to drum up support in Ottawa and B.C., Singh stopped in Surrey, a suburban city east of Vancouver, where he was swarmed by shoppers as he slowly made his way through the Guildwood Town Centre mall.

Val Dmitrieff, 37, had just finished her shift as a store manager when she spotted the NDP leader engaging in his marathon of selfies and handshakes towards the food court. An American voting in Canada for the first time, Dmitrieff said she is still wrapping her head around how Canadians elect parliaments of MPs that form governments, rather than casting ballots directly for a prime minister.

That could be an important fact to keep in mind if, as Singh would hope, neither the Liberals or Conservatives score enough seats for a majority on Monday.

"We talk about environmental issues, we talk about health issues, we talk about the rights of the Canadian people, and out of all the candidates he actually voices what I want my prime minister to believe in," said Dmitrieff.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Trudeau had two shit weeks

Blackface week was a total disaster week, probably cost allot of youth voters.

Consortium Debate Week was his absolute worst, he didn't know how to take advantage of the short answer format of the debate and allowed Singh to Out-Trudeau Trudeau.

That said, this Liberal Minority Win will feel like getting 2 points in an NHL OT shootout.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
For all the shit talk about electoral reform a Liberal minority would be practically the same result as would have been guaranteed under PR. The details of who specifically got elected might vary, but with party lines so very strong in Canada it doesn't seem like a material difference.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
For all the shit talk about electoral reform a Liberal minority would be practically the same result as would have been guaranteed under PR. The details of who specifically got elected might vary, but with party lines so very strong in Canada it doesn't seem like a material difference.

uh

it would make a huge difference

conservatives would never likely be able to shape policy under MMPR

why? because even if they win an election, 66% of the chamber would be left wing

it'd be like rob ford in toronto, they try shit and the adults slap him around

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Pollsters seem to have issues with QC once again. Forum has Bloc at 36,7%, Léger at 32%. Mainsteet at 33,7% and Ekos at 22%.

I would be surprised if they get that much considering they have no money and no team to push out their votes compared to the LPC and CPC (yet the NDP managed to do it once so who knows).

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
how would PR work pertaining to Provinces?

I think that in Federal system that empowers Provinces too much that PR results per Provinces would also be weight in a shitty Proportional Electoral College
fashion

Pollsters seem to have issues with QC once again. Forum has Bloc at 36,7%, Léger at 32%. Mainsteet at 33,7% and Ekos at 22%.

I would be surprised if they get that much considering they have no money and no team to push out their votes compared to the LPC and CPC (yet the NDP managed to do it once so who knows).
Bloc is the agent of Chaos this year , we will only find out who was right by the end of tomorrow night or Tuesday morning

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
While I'd greatly prefer a Liberal majority over a Conservative minority, I don't want to see another Liberal majority.

I don't want the Liberals rewarded with yet another majority after Trudeau broke his promise on electoral reform, and his handling of the SNC Lavalin debacle.

I would LOVE to see a Liberal minority where they are forced to work with the NDP! Historically, whenever the Liberals are forced to work with the NDP great things have happened.

The Liberals were not perfect. But in my opinion, the concrete actions of the government during the last four years in many areas like environment policies/investments, foreign affairs, and internal affairs resulted in a huge net positive for the country. Considering this, I wouldn't mind another Liberal majority.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
FINAL WEEK SNAPSHOT POLLS

EHXpURUXkAA-QJ3.png:large

*bookmarked to compare on Tuesday morning

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
uh

it would make a huge difference

conservatives would never likely be able to shape policy under MMPR

why? because even if they win an election, 66% of the chamber would be left wing

it'd be like rob ford in toronto, they try shit and the adults slap him around

CPC would team up with the Greens(two right wing parties). Those two would probably combine for more than 50%, add PPC and CNP too.

Both parties also hired Kinsella, not so different in the end after all.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
338 has Laurier-Ste-Marie back to TossUp Liberal by a sliver

did Mainstreet get more detailed data per riding in their last polling for the subscribers?

Morrigan I hope our riding goes Liberal, I just want to be represented for once, LOL
I'm not sure where that tweet saying the Bloc was in the lead got its data from. It was quoting Mainstreet but I couldn't find a primary source. If the LPC is in the lead again, that's hopeful but.. TBH I am not sure of anything for Laurier and don't take anything for granted. It's possible that the NDP gained back a few votes that could have gone to the Bloc (young Quebeckers who don't like the Libs much), maybe? I still don't think the NDP will take it, but who knows, 2011 shocked everyone after all so maybe all the polls showing NDP in the teens were completely inaccurate...

Whatever. I'll vote LPC and hope my SO does the same. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.