• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20190515/p2a/00m/0na/009000c

An English teacher from Canada working for a day care center here smacked a toddler on the bottom among other violent acts at the facility, city officials told the Mainichi Shimbun on May 15.

The incidents emerged after a person familiar with the situation posted a video showing the abuse on social media.

In the video, the Canadian instructor is seen spanking the then 2-year-old boy and tugging his clothes at the non-registered day care center, in Kitakyushu's Kokurakita Ward in western Japan, sometime between February and March this year. The boy reportedly suffered no injuries.

The municipal government conducted a special on-site inspection at the facility and issued verbal instructions to officials on May 14.

The day care facility, which looks after children aged between 1 1/2 and 6, features English conversation lessons with native-speaking instructors.

According to the city's child care division, a local resident reported the abuse to the city in April, sparking a probe. However, the day care facility initially denied taking any inappropriate response. After a resident called again on May 13 saying a video showing the abuse had been posted on social media, the city confirmed the Canadian man's violent acts captured in the footage.

The day care center subsequently admitted to city officials that the abuse had occurred, and suspended the Canadian instructor effective May 14. The facility held a briefing session for parents and guardians that evening.

When contacted by the Mainichi on the morning of May 15, a person associated with the day care facility declined to provide details, saying, "I cannot comment as we are looking after the children right now."

A guardian whose child is enrolled at the facility commented, "The fact that that the video was allowed to spread online without restraint shows a lack of consideration toward the children."

An official with the city's day care division commented, "We'll continue to give guidance to the facility and also monitor other non-registered child care centers and promote training sessions."

Foreign ESL teachers already have a bad rap among the expat community here and this kind of incident does not help.

Also concerning is one parent seemingly being more concerned that the video was being spread around more than the actual abuse that took place.

Edit: Theodran provided another article with even more footage of the terrible things this guy was doing:

https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00417702CX

Last edited:
Well, that's going to do wonders for foreigner teachers in Japan and further work against men in the daycare field. Attributing a comment on the video spreading to being more concerned about the videos than the kids is a silly stretch, though. That guardian can care about both and only be quoted for the one.

Feb 1, 2018
Foreign ESL teachers already have a bad rap among the expat community here and this kind of incident does not help.

Basically the people in our college who spent most of their time smoking weed/gaming/partying instead of studying, who got mediocre grades and didn't really learn anything, and who subsequently discovered (due to those decisions) that they're mostly unhirable after graduation, ended up going overseas to teach ESL. It was such a common occurrence that it became a running derogatory joke on campus to describe an underachiever.

Companies and institutions out there need to figure out a way to screen applicants harder and more effectively.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
My wife is Japanese and worked in Japanese preschools (specifically Tokyo) for many years. The horror stories she has are endless. It's actually why she wants to become a lawyer so kids like these, elderly, and disabled can get the defense they often lack in Japan. She's written essays on the stark contrasts between her years of preschool work in Tokyo and few years of Co-op preschool work in San Francisco.

Some Japanese preschools sound like military bootcamps.

OP
OP
Exius

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Basically the people in our college who spent most of their time smoking weed/gaming/partying instead of studying, who got mediocre grades and didn't really learn anything, and who subsequently discovered (due to those decisions) that they're mostly unhirable after graduation, ended up going overseas to teach ESL. It was such a common occurrence that it became a running derogatory joke on campus to describe an underachiever.

Companies and institutions out there need to figure out a way to screen applicants harder and more effectively.

As a stepping stone it actually is an easy way to get into Japan for those who are interested in doing so. I endured a few years of it myself before getting into game translation/localization. Its guys like this who clearly hate kids and have been doing it 10+ years and really start to have a very strong sense of self loathing that end up like this.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
An unregistered day care hired an unqualified, untrained, English "teacher." This shit is too common, all of us who live and work here or have, know the struggle of finding a decent job here that isn't some shady "teaching" job. These places have almost no standards and hire anyone. This can sadly be the result. Dude needs jail time, not just his visa getting revoked and the organization that both hired him and was not taking the accusations of abuse seriously for a month need to be taken down too. Has to be some bigger oversight on this stuff since these groups are hiring constantly and taking basically whoever shows up.

Especially given that only a few weeks ago all kinds of people are being put into question after that little girl died from abuse, after reporting it several times and not having it taken serious.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FUCK that guy.

So if it hadn't been for the video being posted online, they wouldn't have done anything, right?

I'm going to be really reductive here but sometimes it's just "does this person LOOK like the part/SELL the image we're going for for our English speaking school".

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As if ESL teachers here didn't have a bad enough rap already. Thanks, asshole. Who the hell smacks a 2 year old like that?

One of the other adults in the video walked right by him as he was dragging the kid away...I'm struggling to understand if it's trying to avoid confrontation or this was accepted at the place. Like, what the hell??

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man what the fuck is wrong with some people. If you're like that, why go and work with kids? Jesus christ

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Teaching English in Japan is one of the only ways for a lot of people to get a working visa sponsored, so for every person who goes there to legitimately teach ESL you get a billion who are just putting up with it so they can live here. As a result you have tons of "teachers" who hate children or literally don't even know the difference between a noun and a verb. It makes it difficult for people who are actual EFL teachers, or hell, even foreigners in general.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
One of the other adults in the video walked right by him as he was dragging the kid away...I'm struggling to understand if it's trying to avoid confrontation or this was accepted at the place. Like, what the hell??
Most likely to avoid confrontation. Bear in mind that at least one other teacher/assistant was filming it so I imagine she was aware of the misconduct and likely the video evidence being created.

I'm glad that this guy has been caught but on the other hand, this does no good for foreign people living in Japan. Natives tend to group all foreign people together as one type of people. Even if foreign residents are generally well behaved and obey the rules of society and laws (in many cases more so than the natives), if one person does a bad thing it reinforces the belief that foreign people = bad.

Seriously fuck this shit head for abusing children like that and fuck him once again for giving foreign people an undeserved worse reputation.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Teaching English in Japan is one of the only ways for a lot of people to get a working visa sponsored, so for every person who goes there to legitimately teach ESL you get a billion who are just putting up with it so they can live here. As a result you have tons of "teachers" who hate children or literally don't even know the difference between a noun and a verb. It makes it difficult for people who are actual EFL teachers, or hell, even foreigners in general.
Absolutely. Most of the ALTs in my town are basically just here on vacation. They do the minimal amount of work, and put more work stress on the teachers in their school. This grows into resentment. Then the those ALTs leave and a new bunch come in. Each time, the school staff are just a little less friendly towards them because they assume they'll just be the same and do nothing. The new ALTs complain that their school isn't welcoming enough. And the whole "us v. them" mentality continues and grows.

Oct 26, 2017
Why do I get the feeling that this guy basically just got caught, and that shit like that is the norm? If this video hadn't been shared online...

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Absolutely. Most of the ALTs in my town are basically just here on vacation. They do the minimal amount of work, and put more work stress on the teachers in their school. This grows into resentment. Then the those ALTs leave and a new bunch come in. Each time, the school staff are just a little less friendly towards them because they assume they'll just be the same and do nothing. The new ALTs complain that their school isn't welcoming enough. And the whole "us v. them" mentality continues and grows.

Then just stop hiring people without education background.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Paging Vinnk - any idea who that guy is? Do you know anyone at Little Gems?

Seeing this makes me blood boil, this stupid fucker gives all of us a bad name. Fuck that guy :/

My friend runs a rival English school in Kitakyushu but has never had issues like this.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Deregulation at work. Proper screening should be mandatory. The idea that unregistered daycare can be legal is absurd.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
If you know people personally who are using physical violence when working with children, maybe you should be reporting them instead of seemingly boasting about it on an online forum?

Not boasting man, one of them spent over a year in jail. The other had a victim who decided not to press charges.

My post was made to emphasize that it's possible to do some very fucked up shit and still be able to find work at other school or companies.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Well you could put the blame for that on the shitty dispatch companies that exploit their ALTs and the city halls that give contracts to said companies rather than hiring directly. Why should ALTs put in all the work and effort when they're getting paid far less than the Japanese teachers with none of the benefits or bonuses. Its easy to label people who work those jobs as lazy underachievers who couldn't get a decent job in their own country, but if the Japanese companies stopped exploiting their workers people might actually give a shit about their jobs.

With regards to that teacher, it's terrible what he did and he should be fired on the spot, but this is a common thing among Japanese teachers as well. The kindergarten I used to work at had female japanese teachers who would shout and hit the students all the time and no one did anything about it, even though there were security cameras recording everything in class. Also had one part-time japanese staff who was a complete fucking creep who had complaints from parents about sexual assault with 7 year olds and he was just given a verbal warning and wasn't fired or even suspended.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Also concerning is one parent seemingly being more concerned that the video was being spread around more than the actual abuse that took place.
This seems pretty unnecessary. You have no clue what the person actually thinks and what their priorities are. You only see a small quote in an article.

The article obviously won't quote everything everyone interviewed says. That comment was included on purpose to show a different perspective along with the harm of the abuse. It's a perfectly valid position to take. In a lot of countries the laws and conventions regarding sharing material having children in it online are a lot more strict. Personally I'd be pretty furious if I had a child who got beat up and then a video capturing the moment spread out for the whole world to see. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be furious about the abuse itself.

Obviously since I comment about this, it also means I don't care about the abuse but only care about the part in your post I quoted. /s

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
So....I did some digging, there seems to be more than one case of this happening at the moment, one with a Canadian guy listed in OP and one with an American guy as this article dated from today shows.

Seems like currently, both dudes are in their respective countries and were unaware until today that this was coming to light. They both seemed to have quit their positions earlier in the year so as to avoid being fired and will very likely be returning to Kyushu in the near future to find new work in the English teaching sector. I won't post more than that as I'm not into doxxing but still....f- these guys :/

OP
OP
Exius

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
This seems pretty unnecessary. You have no clue what the person actually thinks and what their priorities are. You only see a small quote in an article.

The article obviously won't quote everything everyone interviewed says. That comment was included on purpose to show a different perspective along with the harm of the abuse. It's a perfectly valid position to take. In a lot of countries the laws and conventions regarding sharing material having children in it online are a lot more strict. Personally I'd be pretty furious if I had a child who got beat up and then a video capturing the moment spread out for the whole world to see. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be furious about the abuse itself.

Obviously since I comment about this, it also means I don't care about the abuse but only care about the part in your post I quoted. /s

Have you gone through your entire life not knowing the meaning of the word "seemingly" or do you need help figuring it out?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm pleased to see the responses against physical abuse of children. It's such an encouraging change after the strong defences of spanking we saw on this forum just a few months ago.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Fire and deport all eigo senseis

Did they have videos and news stories about them

Yes on both counts. Don't think either of their stories made national news, but definitely spread like wildfire in my prefecture. One of the guys I'm talking about was my co-worker. He was a JET and I was a direct hire. I had to help my principal translate legal documents that he would read to the guy when he went to visit him in prison. Our students also had to deal with media vultures. The kicker was that the dude in question transferred to our school in his third year on JET because his other school didn't want him back. They new he was bad news. The crime he committed he did while he was working at his old school, but my school and my principal and my students were the ones who dealt with the fallout. Obviously it's nothing compared to the guy's victim and what he and his family went through, but it just once again illustrates how some places in Japan will just shuffle workers around instead of dealing with shit head on. I'm not saying his old school knew about what he did, but they knew enough and they still dumped him on us.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Yes on both counts. Don't think either of their stories made national news, but definitely spread like wildfire in my prefecture. One of the guys I'm talking about was my co-worker. He was a JET and I was a direct hire. I had to help my principal translate legal documents that he would read to the guy when he went to visit him in prison. Our students also had to deal with media vultures. The kicker was that the dude in question transferred to our school in his third year on JET because his other school didn't want him back. They new he was bad news. The crime he committed he did while he was working at his old school, but my school and my principal and my students were the ones who dealt with the fallout. Obviously it's nothing compared to the guy's victim and what he and his family went through, but it just once again illustrates how some places in Japan will just shuffle workers around instead of dealing with shit head on. I'm not saying his old school knew about what he did, but they knew enough and they still dumped him on us.
Are you not legally allowed to say what he did?

I actually heard a similar story a long time ago where some ALT (I think JET?) had sex with a high school student and just got transferred to another school... where he got another student pregnant. That's just hearsay though.

I'm willing to bet if these guys were late all the time they'd get fired though. Tardiness is worse than murder.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleased to see the responses against physical abuse of children. It's such an encouraging change after the strong defences of spanking we saw on this forum just a few months ago.

(Have not been involved in any of those discussions, but)

Man, when I read spanking, I was going into the video expected something wholly different from what I saw.

That's made me reflect on how I understand the word compared to the way it's being used. I'm not sure how anyone would come into this thread and defend this shit.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Are you not legally allowed to say what he did?

I actually heard a similar story a long time ago where some ALT (I think JET?) had sex with a high school student and just got transferred to another school... where he got another student pregnant. That's just hearsay though.

I'm willing to bet if these guys were late all the time they'd get fired though. Tardiness is worse than murder.

I think it's ok for me to say what he did, I just think it doesn't really matter I guess. In terms of this thread I mean.

There was another JET in my prefecture when I used to be a JET who kissed a student at his old school and was transferred to the school I ended up working at later when I became a direct hire. Between him and the dude who spent a year in jail, my former school is now known as the dumping ground for criminal ALTs. BoE doesn't give a fuck.