• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll throw in Link's Awakening (realistically it would probably be one of the older games though) as part of any promo to make up the difference.
Who are we kidding, no difference will be made up. The optics of a "trade in your old system, get a brand new one" is more than enough to get people in the door. 98% of people won't even know there was once a better offer.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a whole bunch, is there something specific you're looking for? Just looking to walk in and catch live music of any kind? Want to see touring bands or random locals?

Usual go-tos I know of include the Horseshoe, Lee's Palace, Velvet Underground, (most nights) the Phoenix, the Garrison, the Opera House, etc. Also you could just look at this list of tickets on sale to get a sense of popular venues in town. There are a lot of local venues not on that list that do mostly local bands, those I wouldn't know as much. If you're looking for jazz stuff, the Rex downtown always has someone playing (though I can't vouch for whether the Rex is actually good or not, feels a bit tourist-y). I know the Top of the Senator used to be a thing but I think that's gone now.
What kind of music?

Horseshoe is a classic spot for rock and up and coming acts, the Garrison is good for more underground or smaller acts, and The Rex is a well known jazz spot. Many, many others from there too, depending on what you're looking for.
Thanks, I'll look into these, I just have no idea currently of things to do in downtown, not familiar at all with the area.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

GO GO GO (If you care about vinyls)

Picture discs, though...(still pre-ordered and very excited for it)

giphy.gif

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Now I just need Nintendo to release the other version - a home only Switch that has no screen and is therefore 200 bucks. lol

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Try to get it from Shoppers when they have a 20% off day.

This is the best bet. Jumping on the first 20% off day after the Switch Lite comes out in Sept. and will redeem all my PC Optimum points towards it too ($160 worth as of right now). A game + memory card will end up costing me more than the system. Hopefully the holiday rush on them won't start right away, or they could be impossible to find at a Shoppers.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I put my Switch Pro controller up on kijiji with a carrying case, people have the gall to ask for 30-40 for it...screw it, think I'll keep it now. Kijiji didn't always use to be like this :(

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any alternatives to kijiji? I generally had good luck with it before when I used it heavily for a while. But the past year or so has been a nightmare...I have so many active ads that are so old, too.

Was planning on replacing my pro controller with an SN30 pro or a Bluetooth adapter for my dualshock 4 (anything easier to transport) but I'm only about to break even for those alternatives, I'll just keep the pro controller

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Any alternatives to kijiji? I generally had good luck with it before when I used it heavily for a while. But the past year or so has been a nightmare...I have so many active ads that are so old, too.

Was planning on replacing my pro controller with an SN30 pro or a Bluetooth adapter for my dualshock 4 (anything easier to transport) but I'm only about to break even for those alternatives, I'll just keep the pro controller
Facebook Marketplace tends to be a bit better, since there's a bit less anonymity tied to it.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I put my Switch Pro controller up on kijiji with a carrying case, people have the gall to ask for 30-40 for it...screw it, think I'll keep it now. Kijiji didn't always use to be like this :(
I was going to say $40 is a fair offer as I'm sure EB would only give half that. But I just checked, EB will give you $45 for a pro controller. Pretty impressive, weren't they $50 last time they were on sale?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that double trade in credit for controllers will happen any time soon, have some extra ps4 controllers I'm trying to get rid of too.

Deleted member 26909

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just got an email from Walmart cancelling my preorder on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. They are providing a $25 giftcard. Is this normal? I've never gotten a cancellation from Walmart before.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Draysoth

Oct 27, 2017
Also got that email - separate email will have the GC. Isn't $25 the difference between the preorder price and current price? EDIT - nope, its 10 bucks more via giftcard. Also, out of stock on the website. Can likely get it 7am at opening next Friday tho with this emailed giftcard. Works for me!

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
From someone who doesn't normally collect vinyl, what's wrong with picture discs? Every time I've seen them in stores I liked the look of them. Mainly the Disney ones as those are the ones I've seen.

The short answer is that picture discs can sound completely fine if it's a great pressing, but that the variability in quality is much more drastic compared to a standard black (or even coloured) vinyl disc. When it's a bad pressing it can have really bad sound quality.

Personally I'm not actually all that picky about sound quality and it's more of a fun thing to collect so it doesn't bother me all that much, and my main issue is that I'm not a fan of how they look compared to coloured vinyl.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The short answer is that picture discs can sound completely fine if it's a great pressing, but that the variability in quality is much more drastic compared to a standard black (or even coloured) vinyl disc. When it's a bad pressing it can have really bad sound quality.

Personally I'm not actually all that picky about sound quality and it's more of a fun thing to collect so it doesn't bother me all that much, and my main issue is that I'm not a fan of how they look compared to coloured vinyl.
Yeah, it's honestly less about the sound quality and more that they just look tacky. Why would someone prefer that over a really well colored vinyl? Feels like a toy.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Any RBC fiends ever use their points for gift cards? I used some for an $100 Amazon one and everything seems alright but how long does it usually take and is there ANY way for me keep track of it? Seems like I just sorta threw it out to the wolves.

Draysoth

Oct 27, 2017
Any RBC fiends ever use their points for gift cards? I used some for an $100 Amazon one and everything seems alright but how long does it usually take and is there ANY way for me keep track of it? Seems like I just sorta threw it out to the wolves.
I get them a fair bit - even around christmas no more than a week and a half to get them. They have 20% bonus offers now and then on gift cards via points - thats when I cash them in.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Using your points to get a gift card is a big no no. The value is usually bad compared using it to a statement credit. Or like the other guy said. Wait for a sale.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Got both emails regarding MUA3, the one mentioning the gift card and the one confirming the cancellation. We'll see if a gift card comes through.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone's Ultimate Alliance actually cancelled on the site? Both me and my friend got the emails, but the order still says in progress. I also have an authorized (not posted) charge on my credit card for it.

Last edited:

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No cancellation confirmation email and no GC for Marvel. Maybe a false alarm but who knows with them I guess. Will likely try customer service later if I still get nothing today.

Sealtest

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never even got an email besides the cancellation email for marvel and upon calling they aren't gojng to do anything for me. No gift card no assistance at all.

kreven

Oct 25, 2017
NB, Canada
I'm chatting with Walmart's customer service and they're telling me that all orders with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 are getting cancelled. "The vendor cancelled this item due to unforeseen circumstances and they have to cancel all the pre-orders with this game."

* Edit: The game now shows as cancelled on my order. :(

** Edit 2: They are 'promising' that I will receive a separate email with a $25 gift card...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.