• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lol tsilon. Those were the days! I won the Mortal Kombat 9 fighting tournament that they held back in the day downtown Toronto at a cool pub. Won around $500 worth of stuff for it!I still wish to sit down one on one with whoever came up with the whole idea. That's a documentary right there.
It was at the Wheat Sheaf at King/Bathurst. It was a good time and I remember you winning it and them posting a pic of you holding everything.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Lol tsilon. Those were the days! I won the Mortal Kombat 9 fighting tournament that they held back in the day downtown Toronto at a cool pub. Won around $500 worth of stuff for it!I still wish to sit down one on one with whoever came up with the whole idea. That's a documentary right there.

It was Fyrewulff that ran it. Looks like he requested an account deletion and doesn't post here anymore.

It was at the Wheat Sheaf at King/Bathurst. It was a good time and I remember you winning it and them posting a pic of you holding everything.

I'm still salty I went the wrong way when that Mister entered the bar and walked around at Warp factor 9 then bolted.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm still salty I went the wrong way when that Mister entered the bar and walked around at Warp factor 9 then bolted.
N8QUWxPl.jpg

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
50% extra trade credit for Switch games August 16-18 at EB. They tend to hold value pretty well, so you could get a solid $45 for titles.

YoutherealMVP.gif

Seriously thanks for posting this. Got $40-$52 for each game. Excellent deal and several games all sold at once, waaaaaaay more convenient than running around with online buyers.

Switch lite incoming

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Tsilon was a golden age for deals. Got so many good deals. Went to the mortal kombat 9 tournament as well, they gave out copies of resistance vita there.

I literally would not be a vita collector if not for Tsilon. One of there accounts on steam, Mister R, is still active and plays games.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
tsilon was good times, good deals on games. I think I got one of those turtlebeach headsets from FS for like $10? That bullshit MGR CE with the lavalamp thing wasn't that much more expensive, but they sent me the wrong copy iirc. What a waste that whole thing was.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
Tsilon was amazing guys. Have so many memories of it. Still have my card as well. Still have Mister R and G and whoever on my various friends list.

Another cool event was going to the Assassin's Creed 3 press only event. Unlimited open bar in the distelleey district and for to play the prerelease game. For us it was being at like E3 or something.

And then the guy in sunglasses randomly comes in and starts handing out cards and then leaves. All this type of planning and stuff. I want to really know the story behind it!

But ya really good times. Still have my metal card as well. I'll try and find it.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
What was the metal card for? I was at the Assassin's Creed 3 press event but I missed the card ultimately.

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about Tsilon with some of the Misters involved a while back, and the work put into the challenges was actually pretty fascinating. They would actually do the challenges themselves to see if they were plausible.

I also believe that I was one of the only people to actually do the FF6 Paladin Shield challenge.

smh at you all sleeping on fighting 255 battles with the cursed shield

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I got from Tsilon: ACIII launch party invite, a bunch of $20 off preorders codes, that completely no strings attached free game(chose KOA: Reckoning), $70 off 3ds making it $100. $50 off WiiU preorder, and a pile of Cinema Now codes that I used to rent movies for a couple of years.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cousin is selling his PS3 (don't know if it's a launch that plays ps2 games), 2 controllers, two move controllers, a PS Eye and bunch of games. What can he expect, approx?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Cousin is selling his PS3 (don't know if it's a launch that plays ps2 games), 2 controllers, two move controllers, a PS Eye and bunch of games. What can he expect, approx?

Just sold mine.

The move controllers alone could net up to $40. Compatible with PSVR so there's value.

Console between $50-$80 assuming controllers are original sony brand and still work.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys seen that the new Final rates for aggregated wholesale high-speed access services that were published by the CRTC this week? They are ridiculously low! This means that third party ISPs who are using Bell/Videotron/Rogers/Cogeco's lines will now pay a LOT less for those lines which, in turn, means that the price to the consumer will go down by a lot soon too.

Here's the thread on DSL Reports about it in the EBOX sub forum (my ISP).. Even the EBOX CEO cannot believe it lol

And here's an handy table showing you the prices and the difference with the old rates from 2016 (first column is Speed)

9362f6c33486ced2fcd0f983e43fa659.png

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Have you guys seen that the new Final rates for aggregated wholesale high-speed access services that were published by the CRTC this week? They are ridiculously low! This means that third party ISPs who are using Bell/Videotron/Rogers/Cogeco's lines will now pay a LOT less for those lines which, in turn, means that the price to the consumer will go down by a lot soon too.

Here's the thread on DSL Reports about it in the EBOX sub forum (my ISP).. Even the EBOX CEO cannot believe it lol

And here's an handy table showing you the prices and the difference with the old rates from 2016 (first column is Speed)

Well, I assume I should get excited when someone can actually point me to a plan I can buy now and say "wow this is cheap!"

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Did they change the wholesale data rates? Data caps are more important. What good is gigabit if you have a 200gb cap and have to pay per gb after that?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm expecting Rogers and Bell are prepping to raise prices for their direct customers to make up for "lost revenue"

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

When does this go into effect?

I've currently got to renew my home internet and was about to call Rogers to get them to discount me on the student plan.. I don't want to get locked into higher rates for 12 months.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
When does this go into effect?

I've currently got to renew my home internet and was about to call Rogers to get them to discount me on the student plan.. I don't want to get locked into higher rates for 12 months.

Could be anywhere from a few weeks to several months to see any difference.

I could see independent providers start to simplify plans even further since the access rates between mid and high tier plans no longer has such a wide difference. So maybe we see something like:
30/5 for $30
150/10 for $40
250/20 for $50
Gigabit for $70

It's hard to say as every isp has their own metrics, cash flow situation, and long term strategy (eg growth in users vs growth in profit).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

What are the numbers representing? I get the Down/Up speeds, but is the 12,79 supposed to be $12.79 average for a 5/1 plan?

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Start.ca has the 250/20 for $90. If they are only paying $14.3 for that speed, I'm hoping the price will be at $50 max. I'll probably switch to them from Rogers.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting a while for this CRTC ruling, now to wait some more to hopefully see some good results for us end-users.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Start.ca has the 250/20 for $90. If they are only paying $14.3 for that speed, I'm hoping the price will be at $50 max. I'll probably switch to them from Rogers.

Excellent ISP. Referred a ton of relatives to them since they actually answer their phones and respectfully respond with advice. I'm hoping for the same!

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
I was talking about Tsilon with some of the Misters involved a while back, and the work put into the challenges was actually pretty fascinating. They would actually do the challenges themselves to see if they were plausible.

I also believe that I was one of the only people to actually do the FF6 Paladin Shield challenge.

smh at you all sleeping on fighting 255 battles with the cursed shield
Oh really? A lot of the challenges I legit did as well. Sometimes I had to do savestates on emulators, but I tried most of the time. If anything, they were real pictures for sure and not taken from somewhere online.

I always hoped the metal card would do something one day. :(

All in all I probably got close $1000 worth of items/discounts with Tsilon aka nolisT aka G-List. Good times for sure.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, One Bloor looks sweet as hell, but $3 million starting price, sheesh...
If I ever got rich that's where I'd live, with the one caveat is you'd run into sleazy CEOs and Justin Biebers every day.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Out here in the Atlantic provinces where Bell Alliant exists, the prices are already comparatively reasonable provided you're able to nab a special offer. Glad to see things slowly but surely move forward elsewhere.

That said, I am looking forward whatever personal savings may come for said provinces for Fiber Op.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Coextro has some really good rates now if 75mbps or 150mbps is good enough for you and you live in an area serviced by Rogers:

mKhw7CZ.jpg

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
I was able to get 300mbps with Rogers for $50 a month with no rental fees. I'm sure it depends a lot on where you live but I was able to get the plan with little resistance.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to get 300mbps with Rogers for $50 a month with no rental fees. I'm sure it depends a lot on where you live but I was able to get the plan with little resistance.

Older friends (60+) had some ancient capped plan at $80/mth approx since I got them into Netflix. Told them to call in and ask for them to match Fido ($60? Unlimited was key) and according to her they got resistance from CSR.

They eventually made it happen but she was questioning why they would even resist matching their own owned-brand lol.

I guess there's lots of people still on capped plans from 2005 with the annual $3-$5 increase tacked on.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Eastlink hasn't done anything with it's pricing yet... is this going to ever be enforced or is this just another fart in the wind from the CRTC?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Still on the gigabit plan for 40? 60? A month or whatever. Don't think I'm moving back to a reseller anytime soon. Don't recall any of them even going above 250-300 mbps. And with the new pricing, I kinda don't expect them to offer gigabit sub $60 anyway. Would love to be proven wrong though.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017

oh man I'm totally upgrading my service if and when the rates change

Status
Not open for further replies.