• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slasj

Oct 25, 2017
My Walmart order of Smash hasn't even attempted to ship yet. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Kinda suprised since my other Walmart E3 deals showed up day one. Just want it before Xmas really.

So I didn't experience the same thing exactly as I didn't order Smash from Walmart but my PS Classic just finally arrived today from Walmart via UPS. It sat at Walmart's warehouse for a week before they picked it up. Not sure what is going on with them lately.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My brother told me he wants an external hard drive for his PS4, so he can download more games. Which one should I buy him?

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys how come I got charged $67.75 for FF7 Remake from walmart.ca?

Edit: Disregard, I just woke up from a nap and am tripping out. It was smash bros...

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
My brother told me he wants an external hard drive for his PS4, so he can download more games. Which one should I buy him?
I think you just go for whatever's on sale. The Seagate and WD ones go on sale fairly often and I assume they're practically the same nowadays (outside of whatever anecdotal evidence people have against either company).

Oct 25, 2017
I no longer know how to search a thread on this forum, so sorry if this is redundant, but can I change my currency to CAD on the Epic Games Store? It recognizes I'm in Canada but I don't see any option to change from USD to CAD.

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks to see people still waiting for Smash to arrive. Mine was delivered Monday. I would be really annoyed if I was still waiting for delivery.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks to see people still waiting for Smash to arrive. Mine was delivered Monday. I would be really annoyed if I was still waiting for delivery.
yeah I feel bad it been a while since i've gotten a game Day 0 from
WM/AMZN

i kinda gave up on the world of light stuff and the character unlocking BS

BubbaGum

Oct 26, 2017
Praying for more good holiday sales before the end of the year to pick up the last few PSN games on my wishlist without paying taxes. Then I probably won't buy any new games anymore unless they're $50 pre-orders or below $40 after a few months. Backlog is too big anyways.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say, it is ridiculous that Amazon refuses to refund the difference if a price changes on their own site within 24 hours of an order shipping, and require you to return and re-order.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Any of you guys that can recommend me the vest pc monitor I can get for 250$ that's with taxes included. My monitor is at least 12 years old and I need a new one

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think you just go for whatever's on sale. The Seagate and WD ones go on sale fairly often and I assume they're practically the same nowadays (outside of whatever anecdotal evidence people have against either company).
So he can just use any random external hard drive? There aren't any specific ones that will work best for PS4?

Also, my town doesn't have a Best Buy, so hopefully The Source or Walmart will have one of these.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So he can just use any random external hard drive? There aren't any specific ones that will work best for PS4?

Also, my town doesn't have a Best Buy, so hopefully The Source or Walmart will have one of these.
Someone recommended the WD Passport versions (admittedly, I use those too, but I haven't really had problems with Seagate myself either).

As long as they're USB3, they should be fine.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017

Sucks, I'll be buying a lot less digital next year, save for huge discounts.

I ended up contacting Walmart about my Smash order that never received a tracking number. "Due to high volume of orders" yadda yadda yadda "you should receive your order on January 3rd". Great. It also turns out that I was charged for the game back in November with my Spyro order.

Amazon is consistently a week late on my orders, but at least they're consistent. Walmart was great up until this Smash order.

Crankafoo

Dec 3, 2018
Canada
I just want to say, it is ridiculous that Amazon refuses to refund the difference if a price changes on their own site within 24 hours of an order shipping, and require you to return and re-order.

100% agree. Had an issue where something I bought dropped like $250 and they refused to just refund the difference. Customer service eventually said they'd give me a $10 credit to my account, but that's the most they could do, and they didn't even end up doing that.

The worst part is that I've had a CS rep refund me the difference before, so I guess it's either new policy or I got lucky the first time. Most other stores I've been to will do it without an issue.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
What does that mean? Will it be laggy when he plays games?

Good to know! I'll drop by The Source after work today.

External hard drives are basically an enclosure over a regular hard drive (the ones you find in PC's). They come in 2 "sizes":

1. Portable ones, which require no external power source (plug it into a USB port and go).
2. External ones which require an external power source (need to plug it into a power outlet and a USB port). These are usually cheaper than a portable drive but have a higher capacity.

Like all storage media, they can eventually fail. If you're using it with a game console, it's not a big deal as you can just re-download any lost data. If you're backing up photos/files from your PC, definitely keep a redundant second copy somewhere (a second external drive, cloud, etc.)

Some external hard drives are "bad" because the USB port is soldered directly to the drive. If the port/cable fails, you can't take off the enclosure to access the hard drive and the data.

With Boxing Day coming up, you should be able to get a good HDD for under $100.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
What does that mean? Will it be laggy when he plays games?
No. Claims that conventional Seagate or WD drives are better than each other nowadays are anecdotal. They both read/write about the same. Buy whichever happens to be cheapest.
The Source used to be an excellent place to grab the 2TB Seagate external drive, it was $99.99 all the time and you could sign up to their spam and get a $25 off $100 coupon, but I don't think they have those coupons anymore. Can't hurt to signup for spam to check though.

Not laggy but they have a higher chance of failing compared to wd drives.
No, they do not. That's old anecdotal information.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/most-reliable-hard-drives/

Last edited:

CaptainCanada

Oct 25, 2017
No. Claims that conventional Seagate or WD drives are better than each other nowadays are anecdotal. They both read/write about the same. Buy whichever happens to be cheapest.
The Source used to be an excellent place to grab the 2TB Seagate external drive, it was $99.99 all the time and you could sign up to their spam and get a $25 off $100 coupon, but I don't think they have those coupons anymore. Can't hurt to signup for spam to check though.

No, they do not. That's old anecdotal information.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/most-reliable-hard-drives/

I mean thats not entirely accurate. Those are all enterprise grade hard drives in that article of a much greater cost than the budget portable external laptop sized drives that WD and Seagate sell. Realistically you get what you pay for with hard drives. same goes for warranty length being longer in the more expensive enterprise series which is why WD Black is 5 years and their others are 2.

The article linked is also for specific hard drives for servers or a NAS not the brand in general. The seagate drive linked in the article is $471 on amazon and is a far cry away from their budget barracuda series.

However I would agree that at the price point between WD and Seagate in the small external drive market the failure rate would be about the same and the differences would be negligible. Get what is affordable and is the size for what you need.

EDIT: The general failure point of the WD passport series in my experience is the usb connector that is soldered directly on to the drive itsself. I see frequent I/O errors when they fail. They arent very serviceable if they fail as the drive cannot just be removed from its enclosure and placed into a SATA dock or PC because the sata connection is not present. Unsure if seagate follows this manufacturing practice on their series.

Status
Not open for further replies.