• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, apparently I did, why?

Videogameplus is notorious for having awful security for their payment pages and not giving a fuck/denying that fact. A ton of people (including myself) have had a bunch of fake charges on our cards after a set number of months. The shared pattern: Every one of us used our card on VGP, and all of those fraud charges happened approximately the same number of months after the VGP purchase (likely to divert suspicion of source).

Don't know if it's fixed yet or not (happened to me when I bought Valkryia Chronicles Remastered for PS4) but it's enough to make me not want VGP to even be advertised or promoted by this thread, the discord, or either game deal twitter account. Even with a Paypal-only warning.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Had Mastercard for 8 years clean.
Used VGP without PayPal two years ago and two weeks after I used them my CC got compromised.
Never shopped from them again and never had that issue again.

You know at one point you have to just stop supporting this shit or their lack of giving a shit.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
vgp is kinda bitter sweet. I order from them a lot (yes, with paypal), I have a great time talking with their guys over facebook chat, they put a lot of stuff on the side for me, etc. They ship Collector Editions in actual boxes instead of padded envelopes. I want them to succeed and shit maybe even start to rivalize play-asia (been pushing them to stock more English-friendly asian imports for Switch and PS4)

But their mobile website is atrocious and the lack of security is appalling.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Used VGP without PayPal two years ago and two weeks after I used them my CC got compromised.

You know at one point you have to just stop supporting this shit or their lack of giving a shit.
Very similar to me.
The one time I had a credit card compromised was shortly after ordering from VGP.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Videogameplus is notorious for having awful security for their payment pages and not giving a fuck/denying that fact. A ton of people (including myself) have had a bunch of fake charges on our cards after a set number of months. The shared pattern: Every one of us used our card on VGP, and all of those fraud charges happened approximately the same number of months after the VGP purchase (likely to divert suspicion of source).
Sounds like this is an inside job rather than an external hack... . They just use their client's cards and the clients will think it was security mismanagement.

Last edited:

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Man videogamesplus has some seriously bad shipping, I ordered a game from then on boxing day and still haven't gotten it. Wouldn't mind so much if they didn't charge for shipping..
Did you just order a single game, and they just charged you ~$4 for shipping? If yes, your game is shipping Canada Post, lettermail. VGP isn't Amazon and doesn't have the shipping contracts they do. Shipping that way is the cheapest way VGP can manage. Also Canada Post is probably still backed up with extra volume from the strike.
When buying from VGP it's better to buy more than 2 games, so you hit the free shipping threshold, and they're unable to slip your order into lettermail. So you get a better shipping method, and it's free.

Oct 25, 2017

Had the same problem back in September 2016 after ordering a game on a credit card that I didn't use online that frequently.

Credit card was compromised mere weeks later.

using paypal with them is fine though, and I highly recommend actually shopping with them as they have some great deals & exclusives.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CL5rtH1.png

I have an Ace Combat 7 preorder for 54 bucks (it comes with a download copy of ace combat 5). I can try to beat it and if I want, I can get most of my money back as long as I beat it within the month. Great deal for me, I really only lose out if I decide I'd rather keep AC7 for good, or if there's a double trade in credit while AC7 is still worth more than 25 EB-bucks (which is impossible to predict this far in advance)

Question though:

Is it 30 days after the release of the respective game, or 30 days after the first listed run date of Jan 7th? I'd imagine the former since RE 2 isn't out until after Feb 3, but EB games has fucked me before despite stuff listed flat out on their site.

CaptainCanada

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if theres actually a spot to check and change credit card info for futureshop kingdom hearts orders or is it just via phone? I got an email from Best Buy making it sound like I could use their site to check it but I didnt see the order there.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Does anybody know if there will be any way for me to save on mortal Kombat 11. Me and the wife would want it day 1 but I'm a cheap ass

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was checking around to see what the prices are like for the PSX Classic and was blown away by seeing that some people are offering them on Kijiji for as low as 50 OBO BNIB. These things are absolute bricks. Wow.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Was checking around to see what the prices are like for the PSX Classic and was blown away by seeing that some people are offering them on Kijiji for as low as 50 OBO BNIB. These things are absolute bricks. Wow.
Considering they dropped down to 60 bucks, if someone was hoping to cash out on them, they screwed up.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Ok so I've been using Alexa for my smart devices but have not been super happy with its ability to answer questions as well as skills missing etc. Does google home work better in this regard in Canada?

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
It's a bit surprising. Yes it's crap right out of the box, but it is a pretty powerful little emulation box. Hacking on them still has a ways to go, but apparently people have already gotten Retroarch and such onto them.

Oct 26, 2017
Also Canada Post is probably still backed up with extra volume from the strike.

The mailman I worked with said that the Union saying there was a backlog was complete bullshit, and that his supervisor kept sending people home because there weren't many shipments to receive, process and deliver. I sent an application for school that required my transcripts to be sent over, and that reached my potential school in less than 2 days. Purely anecdotal but I would have expected the Canada Post strike to delay that shipment to January, so less than 2 days was really surprising.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Is $80 the new price for the PS Classic? Seems to be that everywhere now. Gonna wait until it's about $30-$40 before jumping on it.

Still waiting on another sizable price drop on the C64 Mini. Was $50 a little bit back at Walmart but hasn't dropped to that since.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The mailman I worked with said that the Union saying there was a backlog was complete bullshit, and that his supervisor kept sending people home because there weren't many shipments to receive, process and deliver. I sent an application for school that required my transcripts to be sent over, and that reached my potential school in less than 2 days. Purely anecdotal but I would have expected the Canada Post strike to delay that shipment to January, so less than 2 days was really surprising.

Could be anecdotal. I live in Brampton, and had two Canada Post shipments arrive pretty quickly (quick enough for someone who didn't know of the strike to eve suspect anything). On the other hand, a cousin who lives in the other end of Brampton straight up didn't get their late November package until this week. Could simply be certain areas?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

Don't know if it's fixed yet or not (happened to me when I bought Valkryia Chronicles Remastered for PS4) but it's enough to make me not want VGP to even be advertised or promoted by this thread, the discord, or either game deal twitter account. Even with a Paypal-only warning.

In my case I was hit with CC fraud mere weeks after buying there online. Only time I was ever hit with CC fraud. Many people here got hit too. Don't buy from them.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I've been using Alexa for my smart devices but have not been super happy with its ability to answer questions as well as skills missing etc. Does google home work better in this regard in Canada?

IMO, Google Home/Assistant is in another league when it comes to assistant type features(answering questions, giving you updates based on location/calendar etc.) compared to Alexa. Alexa's strength comes in the sheer amount of compatible products that can be controlled by it.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
IMO, Google Home/Assistant is in another league when it comes to assistant type features(answering questions, giving you updates based on location/calendar etc.) compared to Alexa. Alexa's strength comes in the sheer amount of compatible products that can be controlled by it.
Sigh that's what I thought. Now I have a bunch of echos that I'll have to sell.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
CL5rtH1.png

I have an Ace Combat 7 preorder for 54 bucks (it comes with a download copy of ace combat 5). I can try to beat it and if I want, I can get most of my money back as long as I beat it within the month. Great deal for me, I really only lose out if I decide I'd rather keep AC7 for good, or if there's a double trade in credit while AC7 is still worth more than 25 EB-bucks (which is impossible to predict this far in advance)

Question though:

Is it 30 days after the release of the respective game, or 30 days after the first listed run date of Jan 7th? I'd imagine the former since RE 2 isn't out until after Feb 3, but EB games has fucked me before despite stuff listed flat out on their site.

I believe it's 30 days from the games release date*

*Subject to change

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Hoping to get some advice on a new TV.

Looking mostly for 4K & HDR (OLED preferred) with minimal lag for use with a PS4 Pro.

Upgrading from an old 36" Sony HDTV so most things should be an improvement but 55" is probably my max size. I'm in no hurry, so the biggest priorities are that it meets my needs and I can get a good price. Have a gift certificate for a few hundred bucks for Best Buy so that'll be my top choice of retailer.

Saw they have this LG 55" (OLED55B8P) for $2200 ($500 off) for another few days. Don't really want to pull the trigger unless this is an especially good deal.

Most of the models I saw on a ResetEra TV thread that looked appropriate don't appear to be available in Canada. Not sure if prices will drop further after the Super Bowl or in the next couple months?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to get a laptop. I was interested in a MBP. I had a 2011 model and I loved it. It was an i7, 15". It seems like those now go for over $3000. The $1700 13" models seem lacking in specs.

What laptops would one recommend with a budget of $2000?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to get a laptop. I was interested in a MBP. I had a 2011 model and I loved it. It was an i7, 15". It seems like those now go for over $3000. The $1700 13" models seem lacking in specs.

What laptops would one recommend with a budget of $2000?
Try the refurb section. I got a pretty solid MBP from the refurb section of the Apple website for like $2100, it was actually like the $2500 model. Apple refurbs are incredible, it's like buying a brand new computer. Can even still get Apple Care on them if you want.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Try the refurb section. I got a pretty solid MBP from the refurb section of the Apple website for like $2100, it was actually like the $2500 model. Apple refurbs are incredible, it's like buying a brand new computer. Can even still get Apple Care on them if you want.
Sweet, I'll check it out.

Went and looked. All the 13" are overpriced still. There was one 15" for 2500 that I'd consider. I'll have to see what my PC fetches me. I'm guessing only 300-400.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Minimum $10 trade in at EB on Thursday for PS4/XB1/Switch games. Time to trade in those $2 Star Wars Battlefront 2 and $4 Titanfall 2 games.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any easy way to stream BBC shows like Would I Lie To You or QI on demand in Canada? I think it would my dad would love it but I need something simple that doesn't involve something more complicated than signing into hotmail.

Last edited:

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Thanks. Maybe this is a stupid question but when these codes are available do they only work for items with a fixed price or also on items you bid on ? I'm new to buying of eBay.
I presume they work on auctions. I've never bothered though. You only find out about these coupons the day they happen, so getting a coupon to sync up with an auction you've won is very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.