• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Canadian Deals & Discussion thread. Here, we go full consumer on video games because in this industry you can put a price on art and right now that price is usually $79.99+tax which none of us want to spend. Please share deals you find here. We will often also stray off topic to other topics that affect us as Canadians. Usually this will be somewhat related to the topic of gaming or deals and it's fine, hold on to your butts, the thread will get back on track in time.

Thread title suggested by Arthois, logo by Kaiyo, original thread by Firestorm.

VdmYyKL.png

If you're looking for limited edition items or want to know right when new deals are posted, it's highly recommended you join our Discord Server and set up the appropriate notifications. Most of our members have been able to get SNES Classics, Switches, and whatever other item they need with this setup. This thread is still awesome for normal sales and advice from other Canadians, but if you're posting deals here anyway, be sure to give the Discord Server a shout too!​
The Canadian Gaming Deals ERA Discord Server (V3):
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Current Discord Features (as of 11/12/2018):
  • Landing/Welcome Page with Detailed Rules, FAQ, and Layout
  • 5-Minute Member Delay & Auto-Role
  • Custom, User-set Notifications (Divided by Console/Theme/Hunt)
  • Provincial Rank/Role notifications (For retail store offerings in your area)
  • Full mobile support & push notifications.
  • Friday Game Nights w/ Voice Chat Support
  • General & Spoiler Channels for Discussions
If anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please contact us through discord or reply to this post.​
Please remember to read the rules in #welcome and the latest server updates in #news-and-updates before posting & discussing deals on the server. If it's a local deal or you're looking for something, try to say what city!

YBw43ij.png

Here are some sources for Canadian Gaming Deals that we've found across the internet. Feel free to suggest more so we can populate this list with resources for everyone.

7alMQsf.png

If you're in Metro Vancouver...
In Out Parcel in Point Roberts is probably the most used service. You can set it up to use lockers so you don't even need to deal with a person. It's $3.75 per package and you have 2 weeks to pick it up with 24/7 access. When you sign up you're given an address to use. Very simple.​

u7jNLr7.png

Shoppers Drug Mart
A store you wouldn't think sells games but does. The deals to be had are using their PC Optimum Program. You can earn and redeem PC Optimum points for almost everything (except prepaid cards and subscriptions). You earn 15 points per dollar spent at Shoppers Drug Mart. At 10,000 points, you can redeem for $10 off at Shoppers and other Loblaw's stores (Superstore, No Frills, Your Independent Grocer, Loblaws). You can redeem up to 500,000 points ($500) in one transaction.​
That said, it's best to call your store in advance to see if it sells games, as your mileage may vary on if yours does or not.​
20x Events
You need to make a purchase of $50 before tax, but you will earn 300 points per dollar. This equates to 30% of your pre-tax purchase back in points. So if you buy a $500 PS4 Pro, you will get (15x20x500) 150,000 points ($150) which you can use in a future transaction on essentials such as controllers and games. Oh and groceries too, if you're into that.​
Bonus Point Events
These are usually 25,000 points ($25) for a $75 purchase or 45,000 points for a $125 purchase. The ratios are slightly better than a 20x event (33% and 36% back in points), but only if you spend to the threshold. These promos are usually best for one $80 game, for example.​
Bonus Redemption Events
You can redeem at above the normal redemption rate at these events. Usually it's 60,000 for $75 (extra $15), 130,000 for $175 (extra $40), and 250,000 for $350 (extra $100). 20x is usually better, but you have to redeem your points sometime. Again, redeem as close to the threshold as possible. So the highest tier would be best for a Switch, for example.​
Family & Friends
While no substitute for your real family (us fine folk on Resetera and Discord), these events (usually on a Tuesday) offer 20% off a regular-priced item. Again, 20x the points is better but if you can stack with a points offer or prefer to pay less money out of pocket, then this deal is for you.​

Walmart
Especially during E3, their pre-order and sale prices can be the best in the country (low bar), and Amazon usually matches them. The catch is that you can't change your order, address, payment, or cancel an order 30 minutes after placing it. (Oh, and that they like to charge and refund your card for pre-orders. A side effect is that refunds can take a while.)​

Amazon.ca
Pales in comparison to its US brother, but they match most sales and promotions. You can sometimes get lucky with random price drops that will stack with E3 promotions but their shipping is awful. You will not receive your game on Day 1 so if that's important to you don't bother. Prime is now dead to those buying games, so don't expect any added value if you're a prime-member. Avoid unless you're buying full price anyway and don't mind shipping delays.​

Best Buy
The only trade-in alternative (chain-wise) to EB. Don't trade in games there. They are the other option from Amazon for E3 and, in 2015, Black Friday offered 30% off all pre-orders. Recently their promos have been significantly worse. You'll get the game Day 1 in most cases if you're in a major city but their order management on the web leaves much to be desired.​

The Source
Clearance games can drop to under $5. Website ships to store for free. Their eBay site has decent stuff.​

Indigo
Games are exclusive to their website. Free shipping to stores but it's very slow. Sometimes has coupon sales that also apply to consoles.​

EB Games
There is no price matching or protection here so be wary of purchasing anything at full price unless you have to. Their trade-in promos in the last year have been solid around console launches. Don't trade in games if there's no promo.​
EB Games also offers trade-in deals every Thursday, often doubling Values - so wait and watch their emails/flyers!​

Staples
They sell games on their website, but seem to have abandoned it at the store-level.​

Superstore
They only seem to sell consoles and controllers during special events now, but they'll offer gift cards and no tax.​

Toys'r'Us
Yes it's still around. Sometimes they have coupons, so it's worth checking.​

E3
During E3, Walmart, Amazon, and Best Buy usually have pre-order deals on all the games announced at the show. You aren't charged until they ship and can cancel at any time so it's a good idea to pre-order! These range from 30% off to $20 off each title. Check this thread at E3! At this point it's the only time people buy games.

Black Friday
Black Friday and Boxing Day have similar deals and it's usually a chunk off popular games from major publishers in the year. It's not something really worth waiting for.​

Boxing Day
It's basically online shopping on Christmas Eve now.​

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Now have a mod move this to Hangouts where we should've been a long time ago.

Is that a bunch of new info in the OP? Too bad nobody will read it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Over a year for a new thread! Man, we used to get at least two or three a year on Gaf. Canada needs to step it's shit up with the deals.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The Black Friday PS4 deals were posted in the last thread right?

If I can get my hands on a Black Friday $259 PS4 Spider-Man slim, I'll finally own a PS4 again. If it sells out too quickly though, I'm going Switch instead and I'll wait for the PS5 or NextBox.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
New info for retailers:

Shoppers Drug Mart
A store you wouldn't think sells games but does. The deals to be had are using their Shoppers Drug Mart PC Optimum Program. You can earn and redeem PC Optimum points for almost everything (except prepaid cards and subscriptions). You earn 15 points per dollar spent at Shoppers Drug Mart. At 10,000 points, you can redeem for $10 off at Shoppers and other Loblaw's stores (Superstore, No Frills, Your Independent Grocer, Loblaws). You can redeem up to 500,000 points ($500) in one transaction.

20x Events
You need to make a purchase of $50 before tax, but you will earn 300 points per dollar. This equates to 30% of your pre-tax purchase back in points. So if you buy a $500 PS4 Pro, you will get (15x20x500) 150,000 points ($150) which you can use in a future transaction on essentials such as controllers and games. Oh and groceries too, if you're into that.

Bonus Point Events
These are usually 25,000 points ($25) for a $75 purchase or 45,000 points for a $125 purchase. The ratios are slightly better than a 20x event (33% and 36% back in points), but only if you spend to the threshold. These promos are usually best for one $80 game, for example.

Bonus Redemption Events
You can redeem at above the normal redemption rate at these events. Usually it's 60,000 for $75 (extra $15), 130,000 for $175 (extra $40), and 250,000 for $350 (extra $100). 20x is usually better, but you have to redeem your points sometime. Again, redeem as close to the threshold as possible. So the highest tier would be best for a Switch, for example.

Family and Friends
While no substitute for your real family (us fine folk on Resetera and Discord), these events (usually on a Tuesday) offer 20% off a regular-priced item. Again, 20x the points is better but if you can stack with a points offer or prefer to pay less money out of pocket, then this deal is for you.

Superstore

They only seem to sell consoles and controllers during special events now, but they'll offer gift cards and no tax.

Best Buy no longer has Reward Zone.

Walmart

• The good: Their preorder and sale prices can be the best in the country (low bar), and Amazon usually matches.
  • The bad: Good luck trying to change your order, change your address, change your payment, or even cancel an order after 30 minutes of placing one. You can't.
  • The ugly: They will constantly charge (and then refund) your credit card for a pre-order.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There once was a thread about deals
Primarily filled with shipping feels
I saved money, indeed
That I now spend on weed
And my Amazon Prime is repealed

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
With Shoppers I would mention that whether a store sells games or not is a big crapshoot and it's always best to ask the store even if you don't see any game displays; I've been to at least one Shoppers where all the games were in an enclosed drawer behind the counter and you would never have known otherwise that they sold games.

Walmart should definitely be on the list as one of the most reliable sources of E3 deals now; with the death of blanket discounts, it's almost always Walmart that leads the charge, and the other retailers that follow. Toys R' Us is probably also worth a mention for the occasional coupon.

Oct 25, 2017
With Shoppers I would mention that whether a store sells games or not is a big crapshoot and it's always best to ask the store even if you don't see any game displays; I've been to at least one Shoppers where all the games were in an enclosed drawer behind the counter and you would never have known otherwise that they sold games.

Walmart should definitely be on the list as one of the most reliable sources of E3 deals now; with the death of blanket discounts, it's almost always Walmart that leads the charge, and the other retailers that follow. Toys R' Us is probably also worth a mention for the occasional coupon.

Unless you need to change something about your order with WalMart lol

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you need to change something about your order with WalMart lol

At this point that's almost every online retailer now. Amazon forces you to re-place your order if you need to change anything after one of your games has shipped. Best Buy requires you to call in to change a credit card for the same reason. Walmart literally removes the cancel option after a half hour.

I guess you could buy all your stuff from EB, Indigo or the Source. Oh, and Toys R Us.

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We're on thread 2 now? I didn't even realize the old one was so close to 400 pages. Anyways cool, cant wait to complain about Amazon some more.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017

Walmart also got my $50 Red Dead to me on launch day as well. Getting a game day 1 from Amazon and BestBuy almost never seems to happen to me.

I'm just hoping they manage to do the same for Smash...

superbad

Jan 9, 2018
It seems that EB Games/PlayStation are distributing $100 off PSVR coupons again this year.

Does anyone know if EB will accept these during the Black Friday promotion?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame Canada deals are so few and far between (basically non existent). Just curious why Firestorm didn't create this new thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.