• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix prices going went up

The standard plan (which allows users to watch content on two screens) will rise by $3 to $13.99 a month, while the premium plan (which allows up to four users) will rise by $3 a month to $16.99, the biggest price increase yet.

The company's basic plan will go up by $1 to $9.99 a month, which allows one stream and no ultra-high definition 4K video options.

Edit: Oh, these are effective immediately for new subs... Well then!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It sucks. I took a break from watching something and saw that as soon as I checked era.

I just subscribed, but got lucky getting a code for three free months so I'm good until mid-February and then will have to pay. I think I'm going to share the account with my parents though, so it'll be worth it. I also have a gift card for $30, which I was happy would cover me for almost 3 months afterwards, but I guess it'll only cover two now.

There's quite a bit of content I have to catch up on, and shows like Life in Pieces and Friends that I love to watch. But when it's been $9.99, then $10.99 and goes up to $13.99 in one jump, it feels like a lot.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
With the hike in Netflix prices, it's probably worth noting that coupon code "shudder3xca" gets you a free 3-month trial to Shudder, a horror streaming service with a small (but well curated) library.

I've only just signed up, but I've heard good things.

Crave's new HBO + Movies package for $20/mo including livestreaming of the HBO Canada 1 and 2 channels is looking mighty tempting...

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Last edited:

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Netflix app broadcasts in 1080p (or at least near it after the heavy compression), while browsers are only able to output crappy 720p.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
There's a guy that got kicked out of one of the Vancouver Buy/Sell groups for spamming a launch PS4 console for $320 a few months back. Since then, he's been regularly re-listing the same product on Craigslist. Last week, he jacked the price up to $340

Why wouldn't you just drop the price, sell it, and not have to deal with the admin anymore

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Netflix can do 1080p in the HD tier or 4K in the top tier (if supported).
Fuck that. We get to pay more for less as usual.
They are overestimating themselves with such a big hike.
Canadian Netflix is definitely better than American Netflix. 40% increase over two years is ridiculous but let's not pretend our service is somehow lesser. I think there's been one show I can think of in recent memory where an American friend has had that we don't (Great British Baking Show) whereas many shows have come up where we have it but they don't (Brooklyn 99 is a big one here)

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Canadian Netflix is definitely better than American Netflix. 40% increase over two years is ridiculous but let's not pretend our service is somehow lesser. I think there's been one show I can think of in recent memory where an American friend has had that we don't (Great British Baking Show) whereas many shows have come up where we have it but they don't (Brooklyn 99 is a big one here)

It's closer then it used to be but it still isn't the same. Series like sons of anarchy, Dexter, Agents of shield and lots of the BBC content isn't on the Canadian Netflix.

it depends on what shows you like I guess.

Last edited:

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Stupidly sold my Switch earlier in the year when I ran out of games to play, now I'm looking to buy a new one. Why didn't I think of this a week ago when there were actual deals

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Stupidly sold my Switch earlier in the year when I ran out of games to play, now I'm looking to buy a new one. Why didn't I think of this a week ago when there were actual deals
If you don't want to wait until BD then you can get one from Amazon with a $30 Amazon gift card. It's not as good as it was for BF/CM but it's not bad.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
With the $100 off a Xbox One X, I'm strongly contemplating one. (For the BC and Game Pass mostly)

before I do.. would it be dumb if I put my PS4 Pro on top of it? (Obviously wont have em both fully on at same time) Only way I'll have room for it, unless I put my PS3 away. lol

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
With the $100 off a Xbox One X, I'm strongly contemplating one. (For the BC and Game Pass mostly)

before I do.. would it be dumb if I put my PS4 Pro on top of it? (Obviously wont have em both fully on at same time) Only way I'll have room for it, unless I put my PS3 away. lol
Extremely. The top of the One X is the fan.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Put your bloody PS3 away :P. Yes it would be dumb.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I havea 28in 1920x1200 Samsung TV monitor that I need to get rid of, as I literally have no use for it. If anyone here is from Lower Mainland / Metro Vancouver let me know. Free, just take it.

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
Just checked my Smash preorder on Amazon and the delivery date is gone and replaced with this message:

Pre-ordered
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Does everyone else have this too? My other orders are normal, just Smash says this. I pre-ordered in June so there shouldn't be a problem -_-

platypo

Jan 9, 2018
I bought Atelier Lydie and Suelle at ebgames for 26$ new earlier today. I think this is the lowest it's ever been.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

lol what? Your conclusion is wildly inaccurate. There are tons of shows on U.S. Netflix that Canada doesn't have. In fact, most would argue that the U.S. has the better lineup. I will say Canada Netflix has thankfully come a long way, though.

Turbowolf

Nov 2, 2018
Bummed about the Netflix increase. $3 is pretty steep, too, considering we just had an increase not that long ago.

It's starting to get too expensive to run cable + streaming services. I might have to consider dropping one if these increases keep happening.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked my Smash preorder on Amazon and the delivery date is gone and replaced with this message:

Does everyone else have this too? My other orders are normal, just Smash says this. I pre-ordered in June so there shouldn't be a problem -_-

I've got the same message, and I ordered in June as well...

Just checked, same here. Time to get ready to fight and get some credit/refund. What was the highest offered comp after the RDR2 debacle?

I also ordered from walmart during their $50 e3 sale, I'll probably get that copy either release day or new years eve.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
smash bros never had a delivery date, i doubt mr mega ever had one, its a nintendo game, they dont get a delievery until a day or 2 before the release date

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, as I was checking my Walmart order, I saw this:

kl6hjAq.png

The item above smash bros is supposed to be FF7 Remake....So I guess I can expect to never get it since "it's gone from the system too bad" or something, huh?

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon and Mario party both had a release date for me. I don't buy that.

Looks like I will have to send an e-mail.

Pokemon and Mario party both had a release date for me. I don't buy that.

Looks like I will have to send an e-mail.
you'd be the only one than, cause for almost everyone, amazon orders for nintendo games stopped having delivery dates since shortly after the switch launched

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's closer then it used to be but it still isn't the same. Series like sons of anarchy, Dexter, Agents of shield and lots of the BBC content isn't on the Canadian Netflix.

it depends on what shows you like I guess.

You have to blame Bell for most of those, they now have the rights for BBC and Showtime shows, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.