• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Bought Spiderman from Amazon since I had a gift card and it being the same price as Best Buy.

When I jump into it is best to stick to the main story missions and avoid most of the side activities ? I've heard they get repetitive

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Bought Spiderman from Amazon since I had a gift card and it being the same price as Best Buy.

When I jump into it is best to stick to the main story missions and avoid most of the side activities ? I've heard they get repetitive
The side activities are really light. I'd do 5-10 mins of collecting then go back into the story. It's easy to dive in and out of the side content to break things up. Very digestible.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
The side activities are really light. I'd do 5-10 mins of collecting then go back into the story. It's easy to dive in and out of the side content to break things up. Very digestible.

Okay sounds pretty easy to deal with. I'm definitely not someone who tries to 100% open world games so I shouldn't have an issue doing some side stuff

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Getting something to get it over free shipping is also amusing as hell.

When I got DMC5 I ordered a box of freaking Kraft Dinner. I had to sign for it and everything. I couldn't help but laugh about how stupid it was they it shipped it on it's own. I would of "died" if I managed to get a bag of mr. noodles for $0.47.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to get a new Apple watch. Is there any good reason for me to pay a little extra for the S4 or S3? I've been looking at some comparisons, and it doesn't seem like the S4 offers a whole lot more.
Of course the Series 4... the new screen is amazing it terms of usability, it makes the old look so crowded and outdated.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Oh my, PlayStation Classics are doing well at $30. My local Bestbuy soldout, and sold my ISPU out from under me. When I showed up they scoured the place and found me an open box one and tossed me it for $20, so it worked out for me.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
30$ for the PS Classic is a good deal considering I want to setup an emulation box but man... The RetropPi UI with the online scrapper (and just network support as a whole) is sooo much better than having to use a USB key sticking out of your PS1 Classic to only get offline stuff

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I ordered some stuff on Amazon that totalled $287. Instead of doing one charge they split it into two charges.

One for $165 and one for $122.

The first charge goes through and the second doesn't and I get the email saying I have to update my card. So I go do it and then it just hits me with another $162 charge again. So I have two authorizations for the first amount and now I dont have enough on my card for the second charge. Not only that I have Days Gone coming and it would have been covered with the sum but now it isnt because I have these two authorizations on it.

Both Amazon and the bank said theirs nothing they can do and I have to wait until it comes off but in the meantime the rest of my order will probably get cancelled for non payment and my days gone will be late.

So frustrating.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I want to get a new Apple watch. Is there any good reason for me to pay a little extra for the S4 or S3? I've been looking at some comparisons, and it doesn't seem like the S4 offers a whole lot more.

The new faces on the S4 make a lot more sense (they feel strange on the S2 I used to have). Otherwise I'd say it depends on how much you like the lower profile screen edges.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got the series 4. The price difference wasn't really that bad, even if all I get out of it is a bigger screen, still worth it. Now I just need to get a Hermès band and I'm set.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the series 4. The price difference wasn't really that bad, even if all I get out of it is a bigger screen, still worth it. Now I just need to get a Hermès band and I'm set.
Yea, I plan to get at least one Hermes watch, as a gift, maybe one for myself. They just look so good and the watch faces are a must have, which I don't think you get if you buy just the bands? Should've sprung for the Hermes watch 😝

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yea, I plan to get at least one Hermes watch, as a gift, maybe one for myself. They just look so good and the watch faces are a must have, which I don't think you get if you buy just the bands? Should've sprung for the Hermes watch 😝
omg, I didn't know there were actual Hermès branded Apple watches! I thought it was just the bands.

My research going into this purchase was piss poor.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
omg, I didn't know there were actual Hermès branded Apple watches! I thought it was just the bands.

My research going into this purchase was piss poor.
Return and grab an Hermes one, the watch faces are worth it.

44-hermes-fauve-barenia-rallye-singletour-s4-1up

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Oh my, PlayStation Classics are doing well at $30. My local Bestbuy soldout, and sold my ISPU out from under me. When I showed up they scoured the place and found me an open box one and tossed me it for $20, so it worked out for me.
So I plugged in my open box PlayStation Classic, and it didn't work. I brought it back into Bestbuy and complained and they found a ISPU that wasn't picked up and swapped me it. So yay, I got a new one for $20.
Now to see if the new one works. I'm not positive the used one was bricked. Google suggests PSC's aren't compatible with all TVs, and I did only try it on one TV.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Getting something to get it over free shipping is also amusing as hell.

When I got DMC5 I ordered a box of freaking Kraft Dinner. I had to sign for it and everything. I couldn't help but laugh about how stupid it was they it shipped it on it's own. I would of "died" if I managed to get a bag of mr. noodles for $0.47.
I still don't get why companies don't let you pay the difference if it the fee is less than the cost of shipping otherwise. It just causes them more headaches this way.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still don't get why companies don't let you pay the difference if it the fee is less than the cost of shipping otherwise. It just causes them more headaches this way.

Very much agree with you. Walmart dropped it 4 cents below free shipping, for basically no reason.

I'm the sort that hates paying for shipping. I'll get an extra item, if it's on my "list", to avoid it. This was an instance of "nothing else I wanted".

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Very much agree with you. Walmart dropped it 4 cents below free shipping, for basically no reason.

I'm the sort that hates paying for shipping. I'll get an extra item, if it's on my "list", to avoid it. This was an instance of "nothing else I wanted".
I'm close enough to Walmart and BestBuy that I'll just return extra items... which makes it a waste of time on everyone's part. lol

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered a copy of Ace Attorney for switch from Amazon Japan on Good Friday, and it was delivered today. The total price was similar to buying it on eshop. If only amazon.ca was half as good.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered a copy of Ace Attorney for switch from Amazon Japan on Good Friday, and it was delivered today. The total price was similar to buying it on eshop. If only amazon.ca was half as good.

I did the same thing last month, was surprised how quickly it came from Japan. Amazon.ca hasn't been too bad for me lately in terms of shipping speed(I usually get things the day after I order them).

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Does anyone have suggestions on credit cards with good rewards we should go with? I just discovered my wife's card has an annual fee I didn't know about, without any rewards other than a lower interest rate (which is not useful), and I want her to ditch it.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Does anyone have suggestions on credit cards with good rewards we should go with? I just discovered my wife's card has an annual fee I didn't know about, without any rewards other than a lower interest rate (which is not useful), and I want her to ditch it.

With annual fees, Scotia Momentum (cashback one) is pretty good for grocery and gas, (4% back) and 1% on general purchases (and has a lots of perk if you use those).
Also the BMO World elite one has 1.5% on everything and lots of perks too.
Those are my 2 go to ones.

Without annual fee, I think Tangerine has a ok ones with 2% on 2 categories you pick.
A good one is Home Trust which is 1% back plus zero foreign transaction conversion fee. Really good for travel or on-line shopping for stuff outside Canada. I use that one as well.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you or your wife earns at least $80,000 ($150,000 household), then the Rogers World Elite will give you a 1.75% per purchase and 4% on foreign purchases. Or you could get the regular one which gives 1.25% cashback with 3% foreign purchases. You can combine it with Tangerine mastercard which gives 2% on 3 categories of your choice.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With annual fees, Scotia Momentum (cashback one) is pretty good for grocery and gas, (4% back) and 1% on general purchases (and has a lots of perk if you use those).
Also the BMO World elite one has 1.5% on everything and lots of perks too.
Those are my 2 go to ones.

Without annual fee, I think Tangerine has a ok ones with 2% on 2 categories you pick.
A good one is Home Trust which is 1% back plus zero foreign transaction conversion fee. Really good for travel or on-line shopping for stuff outside Canada. I use that one as well.
BTW, here's some quick math on fee vs no fee credit cards.

I've got the basic BMO no-fee cashback Mastercard, which has 1% cash back. The BMO World Elite costs $120 per-year and has 1.5% cash back.

I regularly put about $500 a month on my card, so I get $5 per month/$60 per-year (pretty much a free videogame, which beats my old Airmiles card, which only ever gave me a toaster). If I put $1000 per month on it, I'd earn $120 per-year, which is technically enough to pay for the upgrade to the World Elite card.

But why would I ever do that? The free card puts money in my hand. Spending that free money on a credit card takes my free money away and puts a slightly different color plastic rectangle in my hand. I would rather keep the $120, thankyouverymuch.

Okay but, the fancy upgrade card gives me 1.5%, so at $1000 per month spending, I'd get $180 in rewards. Which means it pays for the card, and it also gives you $60. Which really just means that it's giving you $60, for $1000 a month worth of spending, when the free card could've given you $60 at $500 a month, and at this $1000 level it could be giving you $120.

What you need is for the annual fee card to pay itself off, AND beat what the no-fee card could've been paying you.

Which in the case of these two BMO cards, is $2000 per month in credit card spending.

With $2000 per month, you're getting $240 cashback per year with the 1% card, and $360 cashback per year with the 1.5%. That gap finally covers the $120 per year difference that the annual fee card costs. That's the point where (if your spending is steady and reliable) you should switch to a paid card, because anything you spend beyond $2000 is where the paid card starts to pull ahead of the free card.

Is your wife spending more than $2000 a month on her credit card?

(The math gets way less simple when you get something like 4% back for groceries and gas.)

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hold up, Amazon Canada has a shipping company? Since when? I legit thought that was a US thing.

My package shipped with AMZN, and went from a Friday to a "tomorrow" delivery. I was expecting/hoping for CanadaPost - the "drop off" location is only 5 mins away. What level of fuckery should I be expecting here? I'm not home until 4:30-ish.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the RBC Platinum Avion so I can spend points on travel, every 3-4 years of usage gets you a free two-way ticket for one to Europe. And of course there's perks for travel like insurance and flight booking benefits.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, Amazon Canada has a shipping company? Since when? I legit thought that was a US thing.

My package shipped with AMZN, and went from a Friday to a "tomorrow" delivery. I was expecting/hoping for CanadaPost - the "drop off" location is only 5 mins away. What level of fuckery should I be expecting here? I'm not home until 4:30-ish.
Yeah they've been doing the Uber-esque driving thing for a while now. I've had good experience except the one time the guy (or a neighbour) decided to throw my package in a snowbank. On the one hand, at least the white envelopes are waterproof... but you also can't see them against the snow. :p

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I personally use NBC's Mastercard Escapade and earned a bunch of stuff throughout the years. I never really shopped around since I've been satisfied with it though. For example, right now, I could get a 700$ Best Buy gift card. So, if/when my TV dies, it'll be much easier to swallow.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah they've been doing the Uber-esque driving thing for a while now. I've had good experience except the one time the guy (or a neighbour) decided to throw my package in a snowbank. On the one hand, at least the white envelopes are waterproof... but you also can't see them against the snow. :p

...that sounds even worse than I imagined it would.

I ordered the Yakuza 6: After Hours edition, so now I expect to come home and find the glasses smashed and with my luck Amazon will be a mess to deal with.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Do you live in a house, condo or apartment? Based on my experienced (living in an apartment), if they can't get through the main door it is very likely they will leave the package in the main door. Or if they somehow get through, they will leave it in front of your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.