• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Hold up, Amazon Canada has a shipping company? Since when? I legit thought that was a US thing.

My package shipped with AMZN, and went from a Friday to a "tomorrow" delivery. I was expecting/hoping for CanadaPost - the "drop off" location is only 5 mins away. What level of fuckery should I be expecting here? I'm not home until 4:30-ish.

You can login via the app and leave instructions for the delivery (like a gate code).

Dozens of deliveries and zero issues.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
...that sounds even worse than I imagined it would.

I ordered the Yakuza 6: After Hours edition, so now I expect to come home and find the glasses smashed and with my luck Amazon will be a mess to deal with.
They are supposed to take a picture of your package at your door to confirm delivery if you're not there... just this one time the person decided not to do it. I was going to complain further if only so the driver doesn't do this to someone else, but they already gave me 5 bucks and I just decided to give up.

I also learned that the drivers are tracked by GPS so they know when they were outside your house... they just need to go the next step and force them all to wear bodycams. lol

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I want to cancel my Scotia Momentum... lol
If it was my $500 math example that spooked you, consider this.

The Scotia Momentum annual fee cashback (the smaller one) offers 2% cashback on gas, groceries, prescriptions, and regular bill payments. 1% cashback on everything else. But it only costs $39 per-year. If your $500 monthly credit card bill is mostly made up of those basic essentials, then you're probably getting around $120 annual cashback, rather than the $60 I would get with my unremarkable no-fee 1% card. And $120 in annual cashback for $500 in monthly spending is an easy win, regardless of the $39 per-year cost of the card.

And then there's the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite cashback (the bigger one), which offers 4% on gas and groceries (with 2% on prescriptions and regular bills, 1% on everything else), for an annual fee of $99. If your $500 per-month is mostly spent on gas and groceries, then you could be looking at $240 in annual cashback. Again, that earns it's money back very quickly, and goes on to totally crush the basic no-fee 1% card.

Some of these perks really complicate the math (because you have to figure out your monthly/yearly food bills and/or your monthly/yearly fuel bills, rather than simply looking at your monthly credit card statement), but if you game the system you can totally take advantage of the perks to score big wins.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If it was my $500 math example that spooked you, consider this.

The Scotia Momentum annual fee cashback (the smaller one) offers 2% cashback on gas, groceries, prescriptions, and regular bill payments. 1% cashback on everything else. But it only costs $39 per-year. If your $500 monthly credit card bill is mostly made up of those basic essentials, then you're probably getting around $120 annual cashback, rather than the $60 I would get with my unremarkable no-fee 1% card. And $120 in annual cashback for $500 in monthly spending is an easy win, regardless of the $39 per-year cost of the card.

And then there's the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite cashback (the bigger one), which offers 4% on gas and groceries (with 2% on prescriptions and regular bills, 1% on everything else), for an annual fee of $99. If your $500 per-month is mostly spent on gas and groceries, then you could be looking at $240 in annual cashback. Again, that earns it's money back very quickly, and goes on to totally crush the basic no-fee 1% card.

Some of these perks really complicate the math (because you have to figure out your monthly/yearly food bills and/or your monthly/yearly fuel bills, rather than simply looking at your monthly credit card statement), but if you game the system you can totally take advantage of the perks to score big wins.
I do have the 40 dollar cheaper Momentum card at the moment, yeah... but interesting. So from your first example, that extra .5% makes a big difference then?
I spend around 600-1000 a month on the card since I dump everything on it for the cashback bonus and I end up with like 200-300 bucks back at the end of the year, but I never thought to do the math to see if it works out.

Also off topic, but do these cashback cards offer those extended warranties that people seem to get with other credit cards? I remember looking at the T&Cs one year, but didn't see anything about that.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do have the 40 dollar cheaper Momentum card at the moment, yeah... but interesting. So from your first example, that extra .5% makes a big difference then?
Yeah, 1.5% vs 1% gives the annual fee BMO card a slower start than 2 or 4%, and the $120 barrier to entry gives it a significant hill to climb before it can start winning. But once it beats the no-fee card (at around $2000 a month), that's when it starts to show it's benefits. Because at $2000 a month, you're not exactly buying gas and shopping at Safeway anymore. And the Scotia Momentum card with it's "1% for everything else" has no real advantage beyond the basics.

For the big spenders, the BMO card seems to have advantages. For daily needs, the Scotia card has advantages. If you travel regularly, a card with travel bonuses probably works out best.

I spend around 600-1000 a month on the card since I dump everything on it for the cashback bonus and I end up with like 200-300 bucks back at the end of the year, but I never thought to do the math to see if it works out.
If you're spending $600-1000 a month, then a flat 1% no-fee card like mine would be netting you $72-120 by the end of the year. It definitely pays to be using your Scotia Momentum card (which only costs you $40).

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
BTW, here's some quick math on fee vs no fee credit cards.

I've got the basic BMO no-fee cashback Mastercard, which has 1% cash back. The BMO World Elite costs $120 per-year and has 1.5% cash back.

I regularly put about $500 a month on my card, so I get $5 per month/$60 per-year (pretty much a free videogame, which beats my old Airmiles card, which only ever gave me a toaster). If I put $1000 per month on it, I'd earn $120 per-year, which is technically enough to pay for the upgrade to the World Elite card.

But why would I ever do that? The free card puts money in my hand. Spending that free money on a credit card takes my free money away and puts a slightly different color plastic rectangle in my hand. I would rather keep the $120, thankyouverymuch.

Okay but, the fancy upgrade card gives me 1.5%, so at $1000 per month spending, I'd get $180 in rewards. Which means it pays for the card, and it also gives you $60. Which really just means that it's giving you $60, for $1000 a month worth of spending, when the free card could've given you $60 at $500 a month, and at this $1000 level it could be giving you $120.

What you need is for the annual fee card to pay itself off, AND beat what the no-fee card could've been paying you.

Which in the case of these two BMO cards, is $2000 per month in credit card spending.

With $2000 per month, you're getting $240 cashback per year with the 1% card, and $360 cashback per year with the 1.5%. That gap finally covers the $120 per year difference that the annual fee card costs. That's the point where (if your spending is steady and reliable) you should switch to a paid card, because anything you spend beyond $2000 is where the paid card starts to pull ahead of the free card.

Is your wife spending more than $2000 a month on her credit card?

(The math gets way less simple when you get something like 4% back for groceries and gas.)
Absolutely, those annual fees DO need to be factored in.
That's is why I separated between cards with fees and no fees.

What you need to factor in too is the perks. If you go outside Canada, you need medical travel insurance which those cards provide (and cards without fees don't)., that alone make it worth it. The extended warranty can be nice too. I used it a few times to claim few hundred dollars on things that broke after manufacturer warranty.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on how some people said Amazon treated their E3 pre orders, I wonder if my Days Gone pre order from 2016 is going to get delayed.

Samstrike

Oct 27, 2017
My Days Gone pre-order from Amazon shipped yesterday which was quite surprising to me because I will probably get it by tomorrow. Can't remember the last time I got a game before the release date from Amazon. What's funny is I don't even have time to play the game right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Like clockwork, amazon won't ship my preorder till next week like they've done for ALL my e3 orders.
They're already giving me a delivery estimate of between may 2nd and 8th lol. Also I live literally 15 min from a distribution warehouse.
They legit have a hate boner for me.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017
Like clockwork, amazon won't ship my preorder till next week like they've done for ALL my e3 orders.
They're already giving me a delivery estimate of between may 2nd and 8th lol. Also I live literally 15 min from a distribution warehouse.

the same, but i guess i can wait i'm still on the Sekiro train

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Anyone know of any good 1tb SSD deals going right now? my HDD is about to bite the bullet and I want to clone it over to an SSD before that happens

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
They read Era, just like Purolator.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Mine says arriving May 8th... Thankfully this was the last of my Amazon pre-orders.Their garbage shipping will not be missed.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Man it sure didn't take long for them to go from most games getting delivered day of or the day before to like a week late. Yikes.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
Should I wait for next year line of cards, get the mid-high range so it is on par with ps5/xboxwhatever or should I start window shopping now?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Should I wait for next year line of cards, get the mid-high range so it is on par with ps5/xboxwhatever or should I start window shopping now?
If you're concerned with being on par with next-gen consoles, you should be more focused on high core CPUs - like, minimum 6c12t (ideally 8c16t). Next-gen graphics won't be more powerful than a GTX 1080, so you can buy a card today and be good for years.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm late to the credit card discussion, but Cheerilee hit it on the head regarding annual fee versus higher cashback. If you spend enough, the annual fee cards are worth it.

A couple of options I would recommend:

TD Infinite Cash Back Visa: $120 annual fee, but this is waived if you maintain $5000 in an All Inclusive account. That's the equivalent of your $5000 earning 2.4% annually. The account does come with a lot of perks (assuming you maintain that $5000 balance to avoid the $30 monthly fee): unlimited free transactions, no ATM fees, free Interac e-transfers, and free cheques, money orders, and a small safety deposit box. The card has 3% on groceries, gas, and recurring bill payments, and travel insurance.

PC World Elite Mastercard: No annual fee, 3% back at all Loblaws banner (Superstore, No Frills, etc.) and Shoppers Drug Mart stores, 3 cents back at Esso/Mobil. Pretty good if you do most of your shopping there. Also comes with the insurance perks. Does require a high income though.

Costco Capital One Mastercard: No annual fee, 3% back at restaurants, 2% on gas, 1% elsewhere. No benefits to shopping at Costco unfortunately, but a decent card for eating out.

Credit card churning is also a thing: people apply for cards and take advantage of the sign-up bonuses (extra points/miles, no annual fee the first year), then cancel. The hit to your credit score is fairly negligible. https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
If you're concerned with being on par with next-gen consoles, you should be more focused on high core CPUs - like, minimum 6c12t (ideally 8c16t). Next-gen graphics won't be more powerful than a GTX 1080, so you can buy a card today and be good for years.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into both, given this is something I plan on doing during the course of a year, so I am in no rush.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Got the shipped notification from my copy of Days Gone on Amazon in Tuesday, the tracking hadn't updated since then and now its saying its being returned to the seller on Amazon because Canada post couldn't deliver? What the hell.

All my mail gets held at the post office not sure why on Earth I could get a failed to deliver.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Got the shipped notification from my copy of Days Gone on Amazon in Tuesday, the tracking hadn't updated since then and now its saying its being returned to the seller on Amazon because Canada post couldn't deliver? What the hell.

All my mail gets held at the post office not sure why on Earth I could get a failed to deliver.
It's a sign. Just take the refund

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody want a Days Gone pre-order bonus code? I no longer need it.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It seems that Scotiabank AMEX Gold (August 1st) will join a bunch of canadian credit cards that doesn't have any forex fees.

So thats:
HomeTrust Visa
Brim Financial Mastercard
HSBC World Elite Mastercard
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite
Scotiabank AMEX Gold

Special mention: Rogers World Elite - 1.5% NET cashback

Since Amazon Visa went under, we got 5 (6) credit cards without any forex fees. I hope it keeps on coming.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought 2 items today were Typo-0 and Nornary Games with just $23 CAD.

Will replay Nornary first (Beaten 2 last games on Vita, except 999), and then Typo-0 and find out why people was hostile toward it.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
It seems that Scotiabank AMEX Gold (August 1st) will join a bunch of canadian credit cards that doesn't have any forex fees.

So thats:
HomeTrust Visa
Brim Financial Mastercard
HSBC World Elite Mastercard
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite
Scotiabank AMEX Gold

Special mention: Rogers World Elite - 1.5% NET cashback

Since Amazon Visa went under, we got 5 (6) credit cards without any forex fees. I hope it keeps on coming.
I still hate my Fido Mastercard, with its rolled back cashback %, and pain in the ass yearly cashback redemption. What's the best way to get out of this card? I'd just stop using it, or cancel it, but that'd forfeit the cashback I've earned so far this year?

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I still hate my Fido Mastercard, with its rolled back cashback %, and pain in the ass yearly cashback redemption. What's the best way to get out of this card? I'd just stop using it, or cancel it, but that'd forfeit the cashback I've earned so far this year?
Yeah, you will forfeit your cashback if you cancel it before redeeming. By the way, you can now redeem your cashback to any purchases at any time. You don't need to wait for a year to redeem it as long as you reach the $20 limit.

Nov 1, 2017
To those who ended up buying Ace Attorney from Amazon Japan, can I please trouble you to let me know how much it ended up costing? Were you worried about being hit with fees once it was delivered? I'm just wondering if it's worth importing, or picking it up from We Got Gamez for 60.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
To those who ended up buying Ace Attorney from Amazon Japan, can I please trouble you to let me know how much it ended up costing? Were you worried about being hit with fees once it was delivered? I'm just wondering if it's worth importing, or picking it up from We Got Gamez for 60.
I'd assume We Got Gamez has a markup on what it cost them to import.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Amazon Japan charges the import fees upfront and then later you get a partial refund for some of those fees. I've never ordered anything from Amazon JP where I didn't get a partial refund (usually a buck or so but sometimes more).

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Bought FFX from them for around $90 CAD after conversion and no hidden fees :) delivered in 3 days

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017

I imported the Switch version. It cost me 3885 Yen at checkout. I got a refund of 323 Yen after few days. Import any games from Amazon Japan without thinking, it's priced competitively and the shipping speed is amazing.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I recently wrote that Walmart sent me an email about not having Days Gone in stock and that my order would be cancelled. The game is released and my order is still processing. Anyone that ordered the game from WM got their copy?

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
I recently wrote that Walmart sent me an email about not having Days Gone in stock and that my order would be cancelled. The game is released and my order is still processing. Anyone that ordered the game from WM got their copy?

I did not order Days Gone but from multiple posts of past experience of different people here & on reddit. Wal-Mart shipping will do what shipping want, no matter what billing or CS says.

My prediction: you will get the game. It will show up to your home BEFORE you get a shipping email.

Status
Not open for further replies.