• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
So we're getting Disney+ bundle as well with Hulu and ESPN too?

How is that going to work, I thought Bell owned those rights with Hulu shit being on Crave and ESPN/TSN is owned by Bell?

Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ Canadian launch is November 12th for $8.99 CAD per month or $89.99 per year.

That is a good price for sure.

I gotta see what is on there though. Is it just more Marvel and Star Wars shit? Mentally I can't take anymore of that stuff.

So we're getting Disney+ bundle as well with Hulu and ESPN too?

How is that going to work, I thought Bell owned those rights with Hulu shit being on Crave and ESPN/TSN is owned by Bell?

It works by us not getting it.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Hulu has officially launched in Canada yet. But Disney will definitely cut Bell off sooner or later.

I wonder what HBO Max will be like in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if Warner doesn't bother and licenses everything to Bell.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I only ask because I just got Bell internet and Crave came with it, I got excited at first until I started using it. Quite possibly the worst streaming apps and service of all of them out there. They have the content with HBO and Hulu stuff on it, but the app runs like pure shit, especially on Android TV boxes and the quality of the video holy shit, how is this allowed in 2019. This shit isn't even 720. Its 480p with artificials up the ying yang. God damn how is this offered as a paid service. The quality is so shit, it reminds me of those free content apps.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I only ask because I just got Bell internet and Crave came with it, I got excited at first until I started using it. Quite possibly the worst streaming apps and service of all of them out there. They have the content with HBO and Hulu stuff on it, but the app runs like pure shit, especially on Android TV boxes and the quality of the video holy shit, how is this allowed in 2019. This shit isn't even 720. Its 480p with artificials up the ying yang. God damn how is this offered as a paid service. The quality is so shit, it reminds me of those free content apps.

The quality is absolutely horrendous. I don't end up watching anything that's too visually exciting on Crave because it really hampers the experience. Game of Thrones - The Long Night is completely unwatchable. I wanted to watch Into The Spiderverse but I ended up passing on it because the macroblocking was so bad.

Continue Watching never gets the episode right. It doesn't consistently keep track of what episodes I've watched and what I haven't. I always need to go back into the season list manually and figure out where I was.

It also signs me out quite often on my FireTV and I have to resign in through the website, which sometimes refuses to work on iPhone Safari (claiming cookies aren't enabled).

It really is an embarassment. I would never pay for this service.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys seen that the new Final rates for aggregated wholesale high-speed access services that were published by the CRTC this week? They are ridiculously low! This means that third party ISPs who are using Bell/Videotron/Rogers/Cogeco's lines will now pay a LOT less for those lines which, in turn, means that the price to the consumer will go down by a lot soon too.

Here's the thread on DSL Reports about it in the EBOX sub forum (my ISP).. Even the EBOX CEO cannot believe it lol

And here's an handy table showing you the prices and the difference with the old rates from 2016 (first column is Speed)

9362f6c33486ced2fcd0f983e43fa659.png

That is looking promising!

I really hope I can leave Rogers soon. I have a great deal ($60 for Gigabit), but I have to renegotiate in November. I just hate having to call in every year to haggle down the price.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I canceled Crave and just buy the shows on iTunes instead. It's honestly cheaper.

The downside is that you can't watch shows as they're airing. But how many HBO shows are watercooler shows? For the most part, you can watch stuff like Big Little Lies and Succession after the fact and it's not a big deal.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not gaming related but I bought a sleeveless hoodie from Roots of fight.ca on sale. THey shipped it on saturday and I just got a call from FEDEX.
I have to pay 44$ worth of customs and taxes on the damn shirt. This feels Excessive, so I called Fedex. They say that it's due to a 20% tarif basically because it's made in china. The damn thing was shipped out of california. This makes no sense to me. They waved their customs fee of 11$ but then again, the tarif charge still makes no sense, since i'm not the one who imported it from China into the US.

Anybody else had to deal with such bullshit?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not gaming related but I bought a sleeveless hoodie from Roots of fight.ca on sale. THey shipped it on saturday and I just got a call from FEDEX.
I have to pay 44$ worth of customs and taxes on the damn shirt. This feels Excessive, so I called Fedex. They say that it's due to a 20% tarif basically because it's made in china. The damn thing was shipped out of california. This makes no sense to me. They waved their customs fee of 11$ but then again, the tarif charge still makes no sense, since i'm not the one who imported it from China into the US.

Anybody else had to deal with such bullshit?

Sounds like the seller is just offsetting the tariffs to the customer in this instance? It is a new thing I deal with at work when I ship things to the US, where there are tariffs and additional fees now on many things, especially if made in a different country like China.

In regards to clothes coming from the US, I have only had to pay customs, but that was before things really changed.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the seller is just offsetting the tariffs to the customer in this instance? It is a new thing I deal with at work when I ship things to the US, where there are tariffs and additional fees now on many things, especially if made in a different country like China.

In regards to clothes coming from the US, I have only had to pay customs, but that was before things really changed.

But why is Fedex charging me for the Tarif? That's where it doesn't make any sense. The damn thing was already in the US, so the company probably already paid the tarif and the company, not fedex, should have charged me that amount.

Last time I order from that place. I've sent them an email and have yet to receive feedback.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why anybody would replace Netflix with just Disney. I can't imagine only watching PG content.

They own Fox (and FX) too.

Animated you got Simpsons, King of the Hill, Futurama, Family Guy.

FX you have The Shield, Justified, American Horror Story

Then something for everyone with 24, X files, they ruled the 90s.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why anybody would replace Netflix with just Disney. I can't imagine only watching PG content.

They own FOX, FX and Nat Geo.

Netflix is also bleeding content from all major studios that want their own platform now. Have been a Netflix subscriber since the Canadian opening and will leave for the Disney stuff as soon as it's up. There's very little must have for me on the service anymore.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
They own FOX, FX and Nat Geo.

Netflix is also bleeding content from all major studios that want their own platform now. Have been a Netflix subscriber since the Canadian opening and will leave for the Disney stuff as soon as it's up. There's very little must have for me on the service anymore.
What's must have on Disney +? You only enjoy PG content? I could see it as a second service sure but a replacement? Nah. Its just far too limited.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Disney + is only PG content though. Adult content is hulu and hulu isnt in Canada yet.

Oh damn you're right. Just read the CNET article about it. Hype deflated.

That said with no Hulu in Canada they could licence the content to another provider.

One of whom will bless up with 480p quality and a queue that never seems to work right.

Ah competition.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They own Fox (and FX) too.

Animated you got Simpsons, King of the Hill, Futurama, Family Guy.

FX you have The Shield, Justified, American Horror Story

Then something for everyone with 24, X files, they ruled the 90s.

I wonder if this means Malcolm in the Middle will finally hit a streaming service. Pretty sure Fox had a hand in that.

I'd be there day one to rewatch that show!

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

That said with no Hulu in Canada they could licence the content to another provider.

One of whom will bless up with 480p quality and a queue that never seems to work right.

Ah competition.
If they launch hulu here then yeah it's easy to see why others would replace Netflix with a Disney + hulu combo.

I assume Disney will do that at some point.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
What's must have on Disney +? You only enjoy PG content? I could see it as a second service sure but a replacement? Nah. Its just far too limited.
I'm a prime subscriber too so I have some stuff I really love on there like the Expanse. Maybe one service only isn't enough but I'm ready to change the second one and get a good price to have the disney catalogue available. I seem to have run out of really great stuff to watch on Netflix.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I'm a prime subscriber too so I have some stuff I really love on there like the Expanse. Maybe one service only isn't enough but I'm ready to change the second one and get a good price to have the disney catalogue available. I seem to have run out of really great stuff to watch on Netflix.
I still need to watch the expanse.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Ah competition.
Crave will have to last till it also starts losing shows

Also does anyone know of any dates roaming around for the apple card release in canada?

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Sorry my mistake I thought we were on a discussion board. My bad.

I'm saying, 6 shows over 3 years is pretty poor. Netflix has 6 seasons of shows every few weeks lol.

Netflix took years to get to their current output not to mention a lot of their shows are mediocre. I can't even think of any remarkable Netflix shows besides Black Mirror and Stranger Things. I'm sure there's plenty of content to sift through but anytime I'm at a friends house we'll put on Netflix but can never find any show or movie actually worth watching.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
They have every historic Disney Channel show and original movie, which I would literally pay 8.99 a month for alone.
Chances are you've already seen everything you already care to. And given the previous MCU TV shows, chances are all the upcoming ones will suck.

It's best to wait and see if they put out anything good, and if they do, then sub for a month.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Netflix took years to get to their current output not to mention a lot of their shows are mediocre. I can't even think of any remarkable Netflix shows besides Black Mirror and Stranger Things. I'm sure there's plenty of content to sift through but anytime I'm at a friends house we'll put on Netflix but can never find any show or movie actually worth watching.
Mindhunter and glow new seasons just dropped and are fantastic. They have a lot of good to great shows.

I don't know, when people say Netflix has nothing it strikes me as strange because I literally cant keep up. So either people watch Netflix all day every day or they have very narrow tastes/arent willing to look around. Or it's one of those paralyzed by choice things.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017

720p and STEREO BABY! What do you have all those silly speakers for anyway, right?

This is "allowed" because our CRTC is a sham that allows monopolies and disallows American content, as long as you can have a shell of an analog to the American service you're fine, even if you have one company owning it all and splitting the content as willy nilly as they please. One of the worst examples of this was when The Wire HD came out, and it was ONLY ON CRAVE where in USA it was broadcast on HBO, you know what happened to bell for breaking continutity with HBO USA and splitting the content forcing Canadians to not only buy their HBO Canada(for other things) but also their Crave for the content that USA was getting from one service... nothing happened at all. I made a well worded complaint and CRTC wasn't exactly happy with what was done, but they couldn't do anything to Bell.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
720p and STEREO BABY! What do you have all those silly speakers for anyway, right?

This is "allowed" because our CRTC is a sham that allows monopolies and disallows American content, as long as you can have a shell of an analog to the American service you're fine, even if you have one company owning it all and splitting the content as willy nilly as they please. One of the worst examples of this was when The Wire HD came out, and it was ONLY ON CRAVE where in USA it was broadcast on HBO, you know what happened to bell for breaking continutity with HBO USA and splitting the content forcing Canadians to not only buy their HBO Canada(for other things) but also their Crave for the content that USA was getting from one service... nothing happened at all. I made a well worded complaint and CRTC wasn't exactly happy with what was done, but they couldn't do anything to Bell.
Its ridiculous.

Honestly I wouldnt care as much if they just put out a quality service. But crave is crackle level of not giving a fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.