• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... Is there a website I can use to setup an alarm when a product I want goes on sale? I know that many websites offer some kind of price alert system but I'd like something more...global...

For example, I'm looking into replacing my PC Speakers and I'm interested in this soundbar (I'm not necessarly a fan of Razer but this looks like the best product I could find at a reasonable price... If anybody has better suggestions for a good set of PC speakers, I'm all ears (pun intended)).

I'd be curious to know if it ever goes on sale on any websites (not just Amazon)... Is there a way to know that?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
For Amazon only you can use the Keepa Chrome extension. It shows you a price histogram on each product page and you can set up customized alerts (in browser, emails ,etc) when the item reaches the price you want.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
For Amazon only you can use the Keepa Chrome extension. It shows you a price histogram on each product page and you can set up customized alerts (in browser, emails ,etc) when the item reaches the price you want.
CamelCamelCamel is another popular extension that does the same, except in-browser alerts. That actually might have me switch to Keepa, and also be the first time I use browser notifications for anything.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Cells is only $10.99 on iOS ($26 on Switch) and with controller support for xbox ps4 coming really soon to apple devices I'm gonna have to start looking more closely at mobile releases for indies.
Is it worth the downgrades, both visual and performance, and having to play on a small device?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at a Switch Lite.

If I go with Amazon is there any hope in hell it ships early or on 9/20 or best to just walk into a Bestbuy?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth the downgrades, both visual and performance, and having to play on a small device?

There are no downgrades. Zero. If anything it loads faster and looks beautiful on the display. Then AAA stuff like dead cells and final fantasy tactics 2 is WAY cheaper than console.

iPad mini and the the current gen iphones with the big screens (which I personally dislike as actual phones) are all extremely comfortable to game on, with a controller, or touch screens fine for jrpgs.

I simply don't game on mobile because touch screen controls are mostly awful for anything not puzzle or role playing.

Total game changer once we can use PS4 controllers on these devices. I urge you to try it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... I'm still using an old iPad 4 as my only tablet and it's really starting to show it's age (really slow and bad Wifi compared to any other modern devices I have).

In a perfect world I would love to get an Android tablet since the iPad is the only remaining Apple product I use but from what I can see, the Android tablet market is practically non-existant which is a real shame...

I could get a new iPad but man those things are really expensive... I'm guessing that my best bet would be to get an old model but Apple's naming convention for the iPad is super confusing so I'm not sure which one to look for?

All I use my tablet for is to watch Youtube, Twitch, Plex and maybe like Amazon Video/Netflix... That's it... I don't play games, I don't use any other kind of apps or anything really super demanding.

What would you guys think is the sweet spot for iPad model that fits my needs and that is not too expensive?

Also, anybody knows a good place to order refurbished tablets online? I know I could check Kijiji/Craigslist but man, fuck those places, they just give me anxiety everytime I have to use them lol.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys... I'm still using an old iPad 4 as my only tablet and it's really starting to show it's age (really slow and bad Wifi compared to any other modern devices I have).

In a perfect world I would love to get an Android tablet since the iPad is the only remaining Apple product I use but from what I can see, the Android tablet market is practically non-existant which is a real shame...

I could get a new iPad but man those things are really expensive... I'm guessing that my best bet would be to get an old model but Apple's naming convention for the iPad is super confusing so I'm not sure which one to look for?

All I use my tablet for is to watch Youtube, Twitch, Plex and maybe like Amazon Video/Netflix... That's it... I don't play games, I don't use any other kind of apps or anything really super demanding.

What would you guys think is the sweet spot for iPad model that fits my needs and that is not too expensive?

Also, anybody knows a good place to order refurbished tablets online? I know I could check Kijiji/Craigslist but man, fuck those places, they just give me anxiety everytime I have to use them lol.

So, TBH I can't help you on the iPad part; but the new ones are quite expensive.

Is the tablet form factor a must-have? I mean, aside from Samsung (which can be pricey) and some budget options, Chrombooks pretty much killed the Android tablet. Maybe low to mid range Chromebook would be able to meet your use case?

Or if you REALLY want to save some money and have an even half-way decent old laptop kicking around, you could put Cloudready on it. That's basically what I did after my Galaxy Tab A became too slow to be useful... I dug out some old Acer Aspire 1 laptop from years ago, put Cloudready on it, and the thing is leagues better than my tablet for those kind of use cases and cost me $0. About the only thing Cloudready can't get you is Android apps (unlike a "real" Chromebook, but then usually only the $500+ ones can do that).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So, TBH I can't help you on the iPad part; but the new ones are quite expensive.

Is the tablet form factor a must-have? I mean, aside from Samsung (which can be pricey) and some budget options, Chrombooks pretty much killed the Android tablet. Maybe low to mid range Chromebook would be able to meet your use case?

Or if you REALLY want to save some money and have an even half-way decent old laptop kicking around, you could put Cloudready on it. That's basically what I did after my Galaxy Tab A became too slow to be useful... I dug out some old Acer Aspire 1 laptop from years ago, put Cloudready on it, and the thing is leagues better than my tablet for those kind of use cases and cost me $0. About the only thing Cloudready can't get you is Android apps (unlike a "real" Chromebook, but then usually only the $500+ ones can do that).
Yeah not a bad idea (and I'm not necessarly against the idea of using ChromeOS if it can meet all my needs as far as video services I use) but on a strictly physical requirements, having a laptop formfactor is not ideal... I love to watch my tablet in bed before falling asleep so having a useless bulky keyboard in the way is not great.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You could get an Amazon Fire tablet, sideload the Google AppStore and be on your way.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
You could get an Amazon Fire tablet, sideload the Google AppStore and be on your way.
Yeah that's definitely something I've looked into in the past... I've only heard terrible thing about them tho as far as performances and screen quality...

Edit: Yeah...Now that I think about it, this still probably makes the most sense... Not as good as an iPad but it's also like 1/3 the price lol... I can probably live with the inferior screen to watch my shitty Youtube videos lol

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's definitely something I've looked into in the past... I've only heard terrible thing about them tho as far as performances and screen quality...

Edit: Yeah...Now that I think about it, this still probably makes the most sense... Not as good as an iPad but it's also like 1/3 the price lol... I can probably live with the inferior screen to watch my shitty Youtube videos lol

I have the Fire and it seems fine for those limited use cases you mentioned. I don't do too much on it either.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations on receiving that from Japan before Amazon Canada has even shipped some to those here. 😆

Really wow? LOL

Anyway I picked it up on Amazon JP because they had a sale price for the CE. With shipping and exchange rate taken into account, there wasn't that much of a price difference buying it versus the retail copy here in BC.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Dead Cells is only $10.99 on iOS ($26 on Switch) and with controller support for xbox ps4 coming really soon to apple devices I'm gonna have to start looking more closely at mobile releases for indies.
I saw that on the app store and was bothered by the vastly superior price, because I knew it'd be shit with touch controls. Being able to use a PS4 controller without hacks is the change I've been waiting for, but didn't think would ever come!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that on the app store and was bothered by the vastly superior price, because I knew it'd be shit with touch controls. Being able to use a PS4 controller without hacks is the change I've been waiting for, but didn't think would ever come!

Haha oh man I was surprised how well it controlled with touch screen but closed it up after 5 minutes to give it a go once ios 13 is released.

Also remote play for PS4 should theoretically allow an actual controller too.

Game. Changer.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

I use an ASUS tablet for the same thing. Try looking into that brand.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use an ASUS tablet for the same thing. Try looking into that brand.
The latest Samsung tablet (Galaxy Tab S5e) is also pretty great as a multimedia consuming device. It's generally more expensive than the tablets listed here though, about 550 pretax.

I have the S5e and the latest iPad Air, and I only use the iPad Air for browsing and stuff like that. Movies and videos I go with the Samsung

Corey31

Oct 25, 2017
The latest Samsung tablet (Galaxy Tab S5e) is also pretty great as a multimedia consuming device. It's generally more expensive than the tablets listed here though, about 550 pretax.

I have the S5e and the latest iPad Air, and I only use the iPad Air for browsing and stuff like that. Movies and videos I go with the Samsung

Speaking of Samsung tablets, I have the Tab A which is a little cheaper and still are pretty good tablets. So if you wanted to save a little money you could look into the Tab A series.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

If you want a cheaper iPad but also under warranty use the refurbs. Their basically brand new and have a year warranty

www.apple.com

Refurbished iPad Deals - Apple (CA)

Save up to 15% on a refurbished iPad at Apple Online Store with free delivery. All models are Apple-certified with a 1-year warranty.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zero Dark Thirty is missing from the iTunes store, what the hell?? Only the french version is available.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
REVERSE DEAL: What the fuck is up with amazon.ca preorders being more expensive than MSRP? First Yakuza, then Psikyo and La-Mulana are now 8-20$ more expensive than they are at vgp.ca (all 79.99$)

Status
Not open for further replies.