• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone know where I can find a case that holds a ton of Switch games? Like 40-50+? There's a cool one on Etsy that doesn't ship to Canada and I can't find anything else.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rogers is offering a $60/15GB price plan to some BYOD customers.

Went in through the live chat and I was able to switch my line over from the $75/10GB Infinite plan no problem.
Uhh what are the odds I can swing them into giving me this. I'm a Freedom customer of 7(?) years who secured the Irresistible 35 plan (35$/mo unlimited everything) and want to get an Apple Watch with cellular service lol

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I got my glasses from Clearly Contacts some years ago, the eye doctors (opticians, technically) were avoiding telling you your pupillary distance, because they were trying to use that as an edge to combat online sales, since they get kickbacks from the stores they're attached to.

But then I just got my eyes checked a month ago (from a place in Superstore) and they measured my PD and wrote it on the prescription. I'm thinking maybe they don't care anymore. Either that or my eye doctor was really cool this time (he also said that my current glasses are fine, and that I don't really need to buy a new pair).

Apparently the best value in glasses is to avoid anything that is owned by Lenscrafters. They're trying to buy up and monopolize everything having to do with glasses (from frame designers to lens manufacturers), to try and control the prices (for their own profit margins, obviously, not to try to drive the prices down for you). Clearly Contacts got bought up by Lenscrafters.

Costco is apparently a very good place to get glasses, but their selection of frames is incredibly spotty, and varies from location to location. Independent mom-and-pop shops are apparently also good. Warby Parker could easily qualify as an independent, I dunno.

Clearly Contacts is owned be Lenscrafters now, really? Wow, I did not know that =/

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I just get my glasses at eyebuydirect. It's not that hard to measure IPD, especially with 2 people.

eleuin

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I know is that you need to get someone to give you a pupillary distance number or measure it yourself (which may mean your glasses need adjustment if you don't get the number right).
Thanks to you & cheerilee, my pd wasn't included in my exam so I'll have to ask for it, hope I'm not charged lol
Also didn't know WB had stores in Toronto now and there seems to be a bunch of nice independent places so online might not be necessary

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to you & cheerilee, my pd wasn't included in my exam so I'll have to ask for it, hope I'm not charged lol
Also didn't know WB had stores in Toronto now so online might not be necessary
If you're going in to a store, they should be able to measure it for you (assuming they have trained optometrists there... but even if they don't, they tell people to just use a ruler lol)

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly Contacts is owned be Lenscrafters now, really? Wow, I did not know that =/
Yeah, Clearly got bought by Essilor in 2014. And Essilor merged with Luxottica in 2017. Luxottica is the monopolistic parent company of Lenscrafters.

Luxottica - Wikipedia

Luxottica owns not only a large portfolio of brands (over a dozen[43]) such as Ray-Ban and Oakley but also retailers such as Sunglass Hut and Oliver Peoples, the optical departments at Target and Sears, as well as key eye insurance groups including the second largest glasses insurance firm in the US. It has been accused of operating a complete monopoly on the optical industry and overcharging for its products—for example, temporarily dropping competitor Oakley from its frame design list, then, when the company stock crashed, purchasing the company, then increasing the prices of its Ray-Ban sunglasses. In addition, it has been argued that, by owning the vision insurance company EyeMed, it also controls part of the buyers' market as well.[41]
In 2019, LensCrafters founder E. Dean Butler spoke to the Los Angeles Times, admitting that Luxottica's dominance of the eyewear industry had resulted in price markups of nearly 1,000%. In the interview, Butler noted "You can get amazingly good frames, with a Warby Parker level of quality, for $4 to $8. For $15, you can get designer-quality frames, like what you'd get from Prada." When told that some eyeglasses cost as much as $800 in the United States, Butler remarked, "I know. It's ridiculous. It's a complete rip-off."[47][48]

matthews

Dec 25, 2017
I've always bought my glasses in person, what are y'all experiences with Warby Parker? Or is there another online retailer that's good? Thank you!
Warby Parker has stores in Toronto and Vancouver if you're nearby. Their opticians will also measure the PD for you but they might say you have to order right then for them to do it. Just say you want to use a coupon or something at home. If you want to save some money, you can download the Drop app and buy through there. They give you 180 pts for every $1 spent. So you can redeem the equivalent of $25 worth of gift cards (Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) for a $150 purchase. Can also get an extra 5000 pts if you use a referral. Note that you have to give them the login to one of your online banking so that is pretty sketchy. Note that you if you have a high prescription, you can only order 1.74 index lenses in store. They also charge something like an extra $200 for them. Because most of their frames don't have spring hinges, you will probably have to get your glasses adjusted for a proper fit. They do this in store for free. If you don't live near a store, they provide a credit of up to $50 for you to bring to another store and get it adjusted.

The better option probably is to buy from Clearly. Rakuten gives you 6% cashback. And you can use the promo code first40 or prideto2019 to save 40% on frames and lenses. This only works on the lower end brands and a couple of others like Calvin Klein. If you want Ray Bans or another high fashion brand you can use the code 25rbo or rbo25 to save 25%. Clearly also has stores in Vancouver and Toronto that will measure your PD but again they will ask that you order right there.

Another option if your optometrist won't give you your PD is to use the free iOS app Eyemeasure. This requires an iPhone with 3D cameras and is pretty accurate. You can probably get a friend to download the app and try it out if you don't have a compatible phone.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought my contacts from PerfectLens the past few years, it consistently has the cheapest price that I've found.

Hamster0

Dec 4, 2018
Has anyone traded in their old switch for the new switch ( better battery) recently? how much did you get for the old one?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Rogers is offering a $60/15GB price plan to some BYOD customers.

Went in through the live chat and I was able to switch my line over from the $75/10GB Infinite plan no problem.

Is it a limited time deal? Does your price revert after a while? I'm on Fido QC 10GB for $50/mo, but this is almost tempting. $10 more for 5GB would give me a bit extra breathing space. But my Fido plan has no expiration so I don't want to go to a limited time deal.

I should probably try to be a bit smarter with my data so I don't approach my cap. I should probably stay with my $50 plan, I suppose.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
Is it a limited time deal? Does your price revert after a while? I'm on Fido QC 10GB for $50/mo, but this is almost tempting. $10 more for 5GB would give me a bit extra breathing space. But my Fido plan has no expiration so I don't want to go to a limited time deal.

I should probably try to be a bit smarter with my data so I don't approach my cap. I should probably stay with my $50 plan, I suppose.

By limited time, you mean to have the price like that? There's no expiration for it, but people I know that signed up for the $60 / 10GB boxing day deal 2 years ago had it go up by $5 like 6 months after - since you're month to month it can happen.

I switched to it, was still cheaper than what I was getting with a corporate discount. Agent online was like "but you'll lose your 30% discount" (it can't be used on this plan) - what good is 30% if it's still not cheaper / better than the loyalty plan? Lol sheesh

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
How is this in comparison to that Koodo plan from a few years back, that happened on Black Friday or Boxing Day? I vaguely recall that being 10th for $60 a month.

They all did a 10GB for 60 dollar plan

Koodo and I think Telus kept the price the same
Virgin, Bell (I think), Rogers and Fido bumped it up to 65

So this is a better deal if you can get it

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
My Gears 5 order from walmart saga continues. Link's Awakening arrived on time, but the random preauth charge for it (that was like 60 bucks?) converted to an authorized charge covering the full price of both games, even though Gears 5 still never shipped. Walmarrrrrttttttt!

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Koodo and I think Telus kept the price the same

Telus raised their price to fucking $70/mo and I hate it. I need an extremely large (by Canadian standards) amount of data as I live in a very rural area with poor internet and rely on it for hotspotting for work fairly often, and I'm still livid that they jacked up the price by 15%. I hit the 10gb limit most months within a day or two of my billing cycle, so I'd love to jump on something else if I could...but the problem is I don't want to switch to another carrier with less data out of hopes that I can eventually get a retention plan.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone was forced to use the garbage-tier service flixster to redeem digital copies of movies FYI they are shutting down and I received an email to transfer my digital copies to Google Play. Redeeming like 30+ titles now.

Getting googleplay copies was an unexpected but welcome twist.

Edit: I didn't really expect this, but in case anyone was curious it does not appear that any movies were updated to 4k copies during the transfer.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Flixster was still operating in Canada.

Oh Jeez you have to do this one episode at a time for TV shows???

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If anyone was forced to use the garbage-tier service flixster to redeem digital copies of movies FYI they are shutting down and I received an email to transfer my digital copies to Google Play. Redeeming like 30+ titles now.

Edit: I didn't really expect this, but in case anyone was curious it does not appear that any movies were updated to 4k copies during the transfer.
Check back in a few days, happened to me before, redeem as HD then eventually upgraded to 4K.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
it depends, some did the whole season and others did individual episodes some also just didn't carry over which didn't make sense
Yeah, I think all my HBO shows are like one at a time (and some don't convert lol).

I mean, at least they're doing this which I suppose they didn't have to. I'm happy as long as I get streaming access to The Wire and Justified to be honest. lol

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If i linked flixster through Vudu to MoviesAnywhere to Google months ago, do I still need to do this?

amprsand11

Jan 12, 2018
Canada
Neat, just added a ton of stuff to Google Play, apart from one episode of Rick and Morty. That it says isn't available on Google Play, yet is if I search it up.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
are we able to connect MoviesAnywhere to iTunes Canada yet?
Probably never. You need a US Itunes Account for it to import. Some movies have different distributors here and I guess the market is too small for the US to care. MA is US only too. They just don't VPN check once you created an account using one. VUDU is always IP locked now unfortunately.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada

Thanks for the heads up. I've mostly forgotten about all my redeemed digital copies because it feels like they're spread across a dozen different platforms. So annoying. At least my physical copies are in one place...

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Anyone Vancouver based that has a powerful PC with EGS launcher let me play Shenmue 3 demo this week? I will be getting code this weekend but no gaming PC to play it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.