• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever cancel a Walmart order using their email forms? I really don't feel like waiting on hold...

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon's nonsensical, Walmart's system doesn't work and is a nightmare, and Gamestop / EB is dying.

Guess we're all moving to digital soon!

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of digital, the digital deluxe edition of Part II is more expensive on PSN than the special edition on Amazon. Is there a difference between the two? Other than obviously getting the steel book and physical version of the art book if you get the special edition.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Who said EB is dying? Please stop buying into this RFD tier fear-mongering.

Uh, have you been following the news about Gamestop in the past couple months? Their outlook is horrible. Now I don't know if the canadian entity is wholly owned by Gamestop, so this may change things, but with how things are currently looking, Gamestop isn't long for this world. They failed to sell the company, and their stock price plummeted to absolutely horrid levels.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping they survive until the new consoles are out, I have like $300 in store credit with them somehow

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping they survive until the new consoles are out, I have like $300 in store credit with them somehow
I don't think you need to worry about that, then again I didn't expect their stock to sink lower than 5 USD this year either. They were hovering around 40 USD at the start of this gen, btw. Which is why people rightfully say they are dying. They just are, unless they're able to turn things around, things are looking very grim at the moment.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Uh, have you been following the news about Gamestop in the past couple months? Their outlook is horrible. Now I don't know if the canadian entity is wholly owned by Gamestop, so this may change things, but with how things are currently looking, Gamestop isn't long for this world. They failed to sell the company, and their stock price plummeted to absolutely horrid levels.

I'm definitely aware but that's the American side. Toys R Us is still around in Canada, isn't it? I wouldn't expect EB to go anywhere anytime soon in Canada.

Oct 26, 2017
EB Games could very well be saved by Fairfax like Toys R Us was. I don't see EB leaving us, even if GameStop sinks.

If anything EB cutting ties with GS can only be a very good thing. The store to more or less 50% non-game related merchandise and most of that is Funko stuff. They need to go 100% gaming and only keep actual game-related merchandise like Nintendo stuff and whatever else.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely aware but that's the American side. Toys R Us is still around in Canada, isn't it? I wouldn't expect EB to go anywhere anytime soon in Canada.

Well, having just looked it up- EB is indeed wholly owned by Gamestop US, while Toys R Us Canada was simply owned by a different parent company than its US counterpart, so not at all the same thing, really.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Well, having just looked it up- EB is indeed wholly owned by Gamestop US, while Toys R Us Canada was simply owned by a different parent company than its US counterpart, so not at all the same thing, really.

The Canadian stores were sold to Fairfax AFTER the American side declared bankruptcy.

Once again, unless we start seeing reports of EB stores struggling in Canada and lots of closures, I wouldn't worry about them. Back before the Switch launched, EB had many great tradein promos and people were fearmongering then too about not keeping credit at EB because they're gonna go bankrupt any minute now.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The Canadian stores were sold to Fairfax AFTER the American side declared bankruptcy.

Once again, unless we start seeing reports of EB stores struggling in Canada and lots of closures, I wouldn't worry about them. Back before the Switch launched, EB had many great tradein promos and people were fearmongering then too about not keeping credit at EB because they're gonna go bankrupt any minute now.

I mean, sure, it's possible a buyer would come in for the canadian side. But it doesn't refute my point at all. As of right now, there's a lot of reasons to believe Gamestop won't be around much longer. When their liquidate their assets, it's possible some company will save their canadian operations, but it's not at all fear mongering to state the situation as it is right now.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do what I did and use that credit on Visa gift cards. I'm sure EB will be around for a bit yet, but I wanted to get any large sums of money out of there

Didn't know you could use credit to buy gift cards and prepaid cards. Every retail locations I worked in explicitly prohibited that.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 4-5-6 collection.

Never had a game shipped at a higher price than normal but maybe there's exceptions.

Ah, gotcha. I missed that, probably because I ended up pre-ordering somewhere else.

I kind of suspect they'll drop the price on everything else too but it's still offputting to see, for example, Atelier Ryza at $91 (!!!!!!!) a month away from release when EBGames has it for the expected $69.99. I wonder if Amazon's doing it on purpose to reduce the number of pre-orders they have on the books for some reason.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
$99 for the game, steelbook, and artbook. I'm gonna have to think on that, but I really wanted that steelbook.

Also sucks BestBuy still doesn't have Yakuza Remastered. >.>

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ah, gotcha. I missed that, probably because I ended up pre-ordering somewhere else.

I kind of suspect they'll drop the price on everything else too but it's still offputting to see, for example, Atelier Ryza at $91 (!!!!!!!) a month away from release when EBGames has it for the expected $69.99. I wonder if Amazon's doing it on purpose to reduce the number of pre-orders they have on the books for some reason.

Yeah idk why they do that..

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Success, finally found a switch lite today at shoppers. Also friendly neighborhood reminder, when you can, buy your video game systems from them!! I had two promotions on my account (5k points for every $20 & 100k points if I spend $400 by Oct 31) that could stack and I was able to net a whopping 163885 points in total (~$164 in points).

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone know which US store also carry the TLou2 ellies edition and ship to Canada? I know amazon.com says they don't ship to Canada so that's out.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I didn't know Air Miles stocks games, when did that start?

They even have some pre-orders

I wonder if it's worth it
It's intermittent for whatever they stock. My brother got 3DS and Vita bundles from there years ago.

Unless you fly, I'd argue that no Air Miles rewards are worth it. Any actual cashback system, even if it pays half as much will work out better for you. Because with cash you can get things you actually need/want, and you can probably find things on sale.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
79.99 at BB and on PSN

Haha yes, I said $89 AFTER tax. Way too much for any videogame IMO. I've never paid that much. Always get pre-order discounts or wait a few months after release.

It wont go on sale if it's not out yet.

Lots of games get pre-order discounts. I have Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dogs 3 pre-ordered for $55 plus tax from during E3 for example. A few games for $50 too.

But I agree that it's not likely The Last of Us Part II will have a pre-order discount between now and February. It's certainly possible though. They've done Black Friday pre-order discounts before.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Haha yes, I said $89 AFTER tax. Way too much for any videogame IMO. I've never paid that much. Always get pre-order discounts or wait a few months after release.

Lots of games get pre-order discounts. I have Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dogs 3 pre-ordered for $55 plus tax from during E3 for example. A few games for $50 too.

But I agree that it's not likely The Last of Us Part II will have a pre-order discount between now and February. It's certainly possible though. They've done Black Friday pre-order discounts before.
I was going to ask if that's ever been done before during black friday.

I doubt they'll discount it, but I think I'd bite if they did.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Success, finally found a switch lite today at shoppers. Also friendly neighborhood reminder, when you can, buy your video game systems from them!! I had two promotions on my account (5k points for every $20 & 100k points if I spend $400 by Oct 31) that could stack and I was able to net a whopping 163885 points in total (~$164 in points).
You're making me jealous. I got a great deal buying my 3DS from a Shopper's and that was without even using Optimum/PC Plus. I don't think any in my city carry electronics anymore though.

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you

BUT let me pose this Q to you (just for fun)

Are you willing to pay 10 dollars a month to play these games on PSN? (and you don't own anything)

or

instead of buying them for 90 dollars? (own forever nobody can take it from you)

-----------
and would you buy regular price game that's hard copy (79.99+tax)

OR

discounted 10-15 dollars digital + tax

this is a dilemma for me I could see sony going this way and currently I'd rather own my own stuff forever

and buy whichever version is cheaper digital or hardcopy

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you

BUT let me pose this Q to you (just for fun)

Are you willing to pay 10 dollars a month to play these games on PSN? (and you don't own anything)

or

instead of buying them for 90 dollars? (own forever nobody can take it from you)

-----------
and would you buy regular price game that's hard copy (79.99+tax)

OR

discounted 10-15 dollars digital + tax

this is a dilemma for me I could see sony going this way and currently I'd rather own my own stuff forever

and buy whichever version is cheaper digital or hardcopy
You don't own anything forever with current gen games. Way too many games, especially on PS4 and Xbone, require updates, patches, or an online connection. If your internet goes out completely, a staggering amount of your PS4 and Xbone games are now useless.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
You don't own anything forever with current gen games. Way too many games, especially on PS4 and Xbone, require updates, patches, or an online connection. If your internet goes out completely, a staggering amount of your PS4 and Xbone games are now useless.
I'm shocked patch archives don't exist to future proof the games.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Has anyone else been trying to preorder the Last Of Us 2 SE from BestBuy.ca and are unable too? I mean, it says it's available.. but I guess it's really not?

wBENDERw

Oct 27, 2017

okay got it
NOW

then if you don't own anything in regards to games is there any point in getting hardcopy if it is not discounted?

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah at E3 time I have a bunch too but last of us part 2 will not get a discount sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.