• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
You don't own anything forever with current gen games. Way too many games, especially on PS4 and Xbone, require updates, patches, or an online connection. If your internet goes out completely, a staggering amount of your PS4 and Xbone games are now useless.

wBENDERw your questions are valid and good BUT CloseTalker speaks the truth. I've been a huge physical only buyer but over the past year pretty much gone all digital because of all the patches and quick price drops (physical and digital).

You will own the disc forever yes but except for Nintendo stuff everything seems to have this online component whether it's patches or server dependent.

Gamepass shows incredible value. As an adult there's MORE than enough to play and it's going platform agnostic. If you really love a game then can buy it discounted digital.

But even as a physical braggart as I have been for many years, now I employ the strategy of using digital subscriptions as a "rental" service, something sorely lacking from video games since blockbuster went away.

Gamepass is the new Blockbuster video.

EB's edge satisfaction guarantee is perfect for short full priced physical games like link's awakening.

IMO buy digital buy later and buy less. Use Gamepass to fill in the gaps.

If twice a year you wanna splurge and go the full $80 digital on AAA where you want to support the dev like TLOU2 and FF7R no harm done.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Sigh. Finally got my Zelda Dreamer Edition from EB Games, and they shipped it in a bubble mailer. So the front/side are totally smushed up. One would think a company selling collectables would have half a brain not to destroy them and need to take in returns, but no.

jaxxs

Oct 27, 2017
if anyone is thinking about getting burger time party on oct 8 for switch its 24.99 on eshop while all retailers are listing the physical copy at 39.99

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about getting a Samsung Note 10, is there any deals out there other than the $100 off at Samsung stores?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
wBENDERw your questions are valid and good BUT CloseTalker speaks the truth. I've been a huge physical only buyer but over the past year pretty much gone all digital because of all the patches and quick price drops (physical and digital).

You will own the disc forever yes but except for Nintendo stuff everything seems to have this online component whether it's patches or server dependent.

Gamepass shows incredible value. As an adult there's MORE than enough to play and it's going platform agnostic. If you really love a game then can buy it discounted digital.

But even as a physical braggart as I have been for many years, now I employ the strategy of using digital subscriptions as a "rental" service, something sorely lacking from video games since blockbuster went away.

Gamepass is the new Blockbuster video.

EB's edge satisfaction guarantee is perfect for short full priced physical games like link's awakening.

IMO buy digital buy later and buy less. Use Gamepass to fill in the gaps.

If twice a year you wanna splurge and go the full $80 digital on AAA where you want to support the dev like TLOU2 and FF7R no harm done.
This.

I can play any game that's there, it's not a perfect selection but it's pretty damn good... and if I like it enough, I tend to buy it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that Walmart "Ran out" of copies of Star Wars and CoD. I'm amazed that they're almost out, but also hope this is just their standard message that they seem to send for every game.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I haven't been to Canada's Wonderland since I was like, 6 years old - and I'm planning to go to Halloween Haunt with some buddies. Which package is the best bang for my buck? The "All-Inclusive" pass speaks to me because it includes parking, but I don't know if anyone else is getting a Fright Pass, or if we'd even have time for rides/eating between all the other stuff.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I haven't been to Canada's Wonderland since I was like, 6 years old - and I'm planning to go to Halloween Haunt with some buddies. Which package is the best bang for my buck? The "All-Inclusive" pass speaks to me because it includes parking, but I don't know if anyone else is getting a Fright Pass, or if we'd even have time for rides/eating between all the other stuff.
You think this but I had the same dilemma when I went to Cedar Point in Ohio, and if you're gonna be there from either half day or even open to close someones gonna want to eat.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Sooo. EB mailed me my Zelda Dreamer Edition in a bubble mailer, and naturally it arrived squished. I knew I couldn't get anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try and contact customer service and complain, what could it hurt?
So I email them, and they want pictures of my game. That sounds fair, so I send them them. What do I get in reply to that? A copy paste of their return policy, showing that they don't take returns on damaged goods, and if I mail it back to them they'll just throw it out and not give me a refund. Good game EB, good game.
I'm guessing they want me to complain to Purolator, or hit them with a chargeback, or something.
Why do we hate Amazon again?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo. EB mailed me my Zelda Dreamer Edition in a bubble mailer, and naturally it arrived squished. I knew I couldn't get anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try and contact customer service and complain, what could it hurt?
So I email them, and they want pictures of my game. That sounds fair, so I send them them. What do I get in reply to that? A copy paste of their return policy, showing that they don't take returns on damaged goods, and if I mail it back to them they'll just throw it out and not give me a refund. Good game EB, good game.
I'm guessing they want me to complain to Purolator, or hit them with a chargeback, or something.
Can't you take it to a store?

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Can't you take it to a store?
Certainly. But, nobody gives a shit about my complaint. I do want the game, just not fucked up. Amazon would've at least given me $5, and not socially engineer me into a trap.

Edit: Oh I just glanced at that crap they sent me and noticed this little gem in there
We recommend you attempt to get a refund by going to one of our local stores. Please note that the store will not be able to give you full price if they accept to take it back. Because the game package has been opened, the store will not be able to sell it to another customer at full price value.
The game is unopened, of course, my pictures showed that. And I literally never asked to return it, I just complained that it was damaged.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry to hear that dude :(

best buy, amazon and costco have the best return policies. Though I realize it's tough finding stock of limited editions in general.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I don't do Twitter. I do do Paypal though, so I just filed a claim with them.

You haven't even tried returning it. Right now you have the item and EB has your money. PayPal will look at it and shrug their shoulders saying the transaction was completed.

If you sent it back and EB didn't refund, then you have a case to complain to PayPal. Right now you're just abusing their policy.

And creating a Twitter account to publicly put EB on blast is minimal effort. You could even shame them on Facebook.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I don't do Twitter. I do do Paypal though, so I just filed a claim with them.
You haven't even tried returning it. Right now you have the item and EB has your money. PayPal will look at it and shrug their shoulders saying the transaction was completed.

If you sent it back and EB didn't refund, then you have a case to complain to PayPal. Right now you're just abusing their policy.

And creating a Twitter account to publicly put EB on blast is minimal effort. You could even shame them on Facebook.

Yup, you're going about this all the wrong way, and it's only going to be your fault when nothing works out.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Did some research before ultimately opting for a dedicated 8bitdo controller. I hear good things about it, but you may also want to look at the mayflash magic-ns dongle as well.
I never had any problem with mine. Works perfectly with XB1 and DS4 controllers. I never tried using it on my Switch yet.
They're good, just a fairly short range on it, so be prepared to maybe sit closer or at a better angle for the Switch.

The PC portion of it is weird, because it's not a traditional Bluetooth adapter.
Thanks for the feedback, all. I opted for the Mayflash (cost a few bucks less) and it works swimmingly on the Switch and PC. I updated the firmware and had the Wii U Pro pad paired in minutes. The right analog position can be a little awkward, but otherwise I love the feel.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017

You'll definitely have to have time for eating, and when i went to halloween haunt couple years ago there was really no need for fast pass stuff.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Alright, my peeps. I got an amazon-related question.

If you order something, in my case a Reptile Food Dish, and it becomes out of stock. But the person (company?), fulfilled by Amazon, gets more in stock. Will they eventually ship it, or do I need to contact Amazon to get it moving again?

Seems they don't have email support anymore, and It's not important enough to do a Chat/Phone call about it.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Yup, you're going about this all the wrong way, and it's only going to be your fault when nothing works out.
I think you actually need to look at their return policy. The first sentence clearly shows their position.
"Unopened new merchandise in saleable condition can be returned or exchanged."
Opposites are inferred from that. Shipping damages equal unsaleable product, and EB reserves the right to refuse returns. I did nothing wrong except email them when I received a squished game and basically asked "hey can I exchange this or something?" Their clearly don't give a fuck. I'm not going to be held accountable for shipping damages caused by inadequate packaging. I could attempt to return the game in store, but I have no idea if they've gone and flagged my order # as unsaleable, so it's not worth the effort when I have protection. This is 100% a PayPal chargeback moment IMO.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the gentle reminder that there's no release date for my pre-order of Prime 4 yet, Walmart. I had almost forgotten.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the gentle reminder that there's no release date for my pre-order of Prime 4 yet, Walmart. I had almost forgotten.
I'd completely forgotten I had that preorder with them, lol

I bet we'll get a 2D metroid or the trilogy before Prime 4, and Walmart will apply this order to that...

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I think you actually need to look at their return policy. The first sentence clearly shows their position.
"Unopened new merchandise in saleable condition can be returned or exchanged."
Opposites are inferred from that. Shipping damages equal unsaleable product, and EB reserves the right to refuse returns. I did nothing wrong except email them when I received a squished game and basically asked "hey can I exchange this or something?" Their clearly don't give a fuck. I'm not going to be held accountable for shipping damages caused by inadequate packaging. I could attempt to return the game in store, but I have no idea if they've gone and flagged my order # as unsaleable, so it's not worth the effort when I have protection. This is 100% a PayPal chargeback moment IMO.

Let's say your chargeback succeeds and PayPal refunds you. Now you have your money back and the product. According to EB (and likely criminal law), you've just committed theft, and they have every right to pursue you for the item, or at the very least blacklist you from ever buying from them again.

Policies are intentionally vague and one powertripping CSR who goes "lol no" is not a denial of return. If you actually go in store and get rejected, and escalate to their District Manager, and then the Head Office, and they all say no, then you'd have a case. Being too lazy to even attempt to return the product is not what a chargeback is for.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Let's say your chargeback succeeds and PayPal refunds you. Now you have your money back and the product. According to EB (and likely criminal law), you've just committed theft, and they have every right to pursue you for the item, or at the very least blacklist you from ever buying from them again.

Policies are intentionally vague and one powertripping CSR who goes "lol no" is not a denial of return. If you actually go in store and get rejected, and escalate to their District Manager, and then the Head Office, and they all say no, then you'd have a case. Being too lazy to even attempt to return the product is not what a chargeback is for.
I disagree. I'm fairly sure the first CSR I hit escalated me to a supervisor.
I've sent them several emails, I haven't stopped talking (also the first step in a Paypal dispute is talking) although they seem to have stopped. If they tell me to return it for a full refund, I will.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone know which US retailer can ship Ellie edition of TLou2 to Canada? I know amazon. Com says no. I missed it at eb. Also anyone know where I can buy official dual shock 3 controller?

Neithardt

Banned
May 22, 2019
Has anyone been able to find a physical Doom Eternal for Switch up for pre-order anywhere? Everything I've seen still points to a November release but only PS4/XB1 are available. Am I missing something here?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Has anyone been able to find a physical Doom Eternal for Switch up for pre-order anywhere? Everything I've seen still points to a November release but only PS4/XB1 are available. Am I missing something here?
Perhaps they're going digital-only with it like they did the last Wolfenstein.
No, wait... that's not it. 'Cause Gamestop US has a physical version up. Hmmm...

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
Any Canadian sites I can order from carrying The Shining 4k?

I checked Best buy, Walmart and Amazon. Amazon had a reseller listing but that's its.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us Part II is up on Walmart.ca.

Time to start stalking the site for a preorder sale.

Also LOL at Amazon saying the regular price of The Last Of Us Part II is $86.01.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Any Canadian sites I can order from carrying The Shining 4k?

I checked Best buy, Walmart and Amazon. Amazon had a reseller listing but that's its.
No, super annoying. I went on amazon US, ended up being just over $40.

Apocalypse Now was the same. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, maybe it's a common studio or something. Amazon and Best Buy both got Stand by Me 4K, which is a smaller catalog release than The Shining and Apocalypse Now. Canada isn't usually left out of things like this, really frustrating.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm annoyed at not being able to find the shining too. It's only $15 digitally and I'm debating it, but I'll give it another few weeks to see if it pops up anywhere before I cave. I might be wrong but I think mission impossible took a little bit before it was available in Canada, so I've just learned to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.