• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, my Pro is the Spidey one and I won't trade that away. Plus, I like having old hw even if the new one is bc.

Me too(except I have a 500 million Pro). I'll probably use it as my movie/streaming device as well. No need to have that wear and tear of use on the new console when the old one does the trick perfectly fine.

Unless 4k blurays stop being ridiculously overpriced and I end up buying some.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time really trying to shop for good deals on PC parts so I have to ask...

Historically, does Canadian Black Friday have good deals on CPUs (specifically Ryzen), GPUs, or mobos?

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to whenever next gen consoles hit so I can start planning on building a new PC 🤣

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really going to be 700 dollars?

I just went through buying computer parts and everything was generously marked up at or beyond the USD exchange rate. Even came across one component that was literally 1.41 markup at retail USD vs CAD.

40+% !!! It's ridiculous.

If PS5 is at $499USD = $665CAD and that's with no fx fees so I'm betting on $689.

The specs being talked about in the various PS5 threads, OMG. 8 core cpu, SSD, 4K bluray drive, 16GB RAM. Even with volume discounts at the supplier level the build of materials is looking like $450 USD minimum.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

If PS5 is at $499USD = $665CAD and that's with no fx fees so I'm betting on $689.

The specs being talked about in the various PS5 threads, OMG. 8 core cpu, SSD, 4K bluray drive, 16GB RAM. Even with volume discounts at the supplier level the build of materials is looking like $450 USD minimum.

Yup. I'll probably be getting the PS5 1-2 years later, and it'll be most likely be 650$.

We're fucked.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I just went through buying computer parts and everything was generously marked up at or beyond the USD exchange rate. Even came across one component that was literally 1.41 markup at retail USD vs CAD.

Yeah, just looking at 5700 XTs on PC Part Picker, there are some cards going for $400 USD and $750 CAD (conversion is $532 CAD). Like, it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer (some cards are literally 1:1 conversion, thankfully), but yeah it's pre nuts

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just looking at 5700 XTs on PC Part Picker, there are some cards going for $400 USD and $750 CAD (conversion is $532 CAD). Like, it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer (some cards are literally 1:1 conversion, thankfully), but yeah it's pre nuts

lol yeah that was one of the cards I looked at, and ended up with nvidia because the exchange rate was more reasonable (even though it cost more).

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. I'll probably be getting the PS5 1-2 years later, and it'll be most likely be 650$.

We're fucked.

Yeah, I'm not a day 1er next generation. I'll chill until these things are more affordable. If this thing isn't running every playstation console game preceding it (physical and digital), then the price isn't justified in my eye. I'll chill.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck with having to buy consoles, there's just something about them that makes it nicer to play open world games, third-person shooters, and indies on the big screen and with a controller. I like the PC for games that play truly better on PC, like R6 Siege.
I'm switching between the Xbox One X and an 8700K/1080 Ti PC when playing Gears 5, and even though it looks considerably better on PC with that sweet AO intensity cranked up and 144Hz Gsync, I still prefer the Xbox version. 🤷🏻‍♀️
And yes I have my PC plugged into the same TV, and using a wireless Xbox controller.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The exchange rate is a tough one. Politicians like it when we have a softer dollar because it makes US companies want to invest in us (like Netflix opening up production studios). But for consumers, it makes foreign goods (aka every electronic we use day to day) ludicrously expensive.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Memory Express is great, I've been using it since 98 to build and upgrade my PCs. I just built my new PC a few months ago, and while it cost about $70 more to use ME over Amazon/NewEgg ($1250 all in), it was nice to both support local and give Amazon the middle finger.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
DEAL

3 free chicken tenders with the purchase of a large drink at participating Ontario Popeyes locations on days the Leafs play at home. Today is one of those days.

1. Download the Toronto Maple Leafs official app
2. Click "Fans" at the bottom of the screen and find the promo under "Contests & Promotions"
3. When in line at Popeyes you enter a name and email address and wait for the cashier to watch you hit the submit button. If the cashier doesn't watch you do it then they can deny you the deal
4. Get the spicy tenders + blackened ranch dipping sauce or else MrNewVegas will yell at you

It ends up being about $2.60 after taxes depending on how much a large drink costs at your location.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like my time with consoles is coming to an end. I might not buy next gen at all. I barely play games these days, only the biggest ones with occasional indies in between. And unless something drastically changes next gen, I feel that I've more or less had my fill of Sony's style of AAA games. Might just build another PC, but from the prices of everything it might be hard to build a decent one for around 500 CAD including tax, which is all I can really afford...

Don't forget the heavy tax, depending on your province!

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
DEAL

3 free chicken tenders with the purchase of a large drink at participating Ontario Popeyes locations on days the Leafs play at home. Today is one of those days.

1. Download the Toronto Maple Leafs official app
2. Click "Fans" at the bottom of the screen and find the promo under "Contests & Promotions"
3. When in line at Popeyes you enter a name and email address and wait for the cashier to watch you hit the submit button. If the cashier doesn't watch you do it then they can deny you the deal
4. Get the spicy tenders + blackened ranch dipping sauce or else MrNewVegas will yell at you

It ends up being about $2.60 after taxes depending on how much a large drink costs at your location.
The only dipping sauce worth it's salt.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the good ole days of buying the PS4 at launch for 399 CAD, and a bunch of the launch titles for 39.99 each.

+ that weird promo at best buy where you could trade in ANY 360, PS3, or Wii game at all for Battlefield 4

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I paid $699 for the Ps3, and if the PS5 is as strong as I hope. I'd have no trouble paying it. Hell, slap PS3 playability and I'd pay more.

Granted, unlike the ps4, I'd need to put a bit on a credit card. It's the only hobby I got though.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
I made the mistake of not pre ordering at launch for PS4 and it took me months to find one.

It was really difficult to find one after it launched and it was pretty much sold out everywhere in the coming weeks. But miraculously it was in stock online and the shelves were fully stocked the day the price went up due to the currency adjustment.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a pretty decent promo for the original PS4 when the Pro came out...Anyone remember approximately what that was?

Oct 25, 2017
^This and you can avoid shitty buyers/sellers. Majority are good but there are times where you get the terrible ones. They wastes your time, gas, and patience.

yeah I'm in the same kinda situation selling my iPhone 8. I could get $350-450 depending on things (though there's a million for sale right now) or get $275 from the AppleStore, where I wanna get an Apple TV etc anyway. I'm busy as hell with work and a kid so I don't wanna deal with private selling shit. So Im A bit up in the air of what to do right now.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Who would pay $350 or more for a used pro? I would never lol

how do you think eb and the indie stores stay in business.

most people don't care about new vs used. 10% off is 10% off.

I watched a couple of millenials return a used ps4 for another used ps4 and destiny 2. They couldn't care less the system was broken and happily exchanged for another...and didn't know D2 was going free to play.

^general public

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

I watched a couple of millenials return a used ps4 for another used ps4 and destiny 2. They couldn't care less the system was broken and happily exchanged for another...and didn't know D2 was going free to play.

^general public
Fair enough, I would just much rather pay the 10% and have it new and dont understand it.

Oct 25, 2017

^general public

Milennials or gen z?

Status
Not open for further replies.