• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

Dg4iZzWU0AAOey8.jpg:large

Not a massive price cut but nice nonetheless.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Ha wow I thought I lost my Switch yesterday and was already wondering how much it would cost me to get a new one so this would have been a nice little surprise for me.

Turns out my Switch was just sitting in my dock at home and I forgot to put it in its soft case.

I was quite relieved!

We're getting murdered with game prices though. I haven't seen them this expensive since the early N64 days.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
20$ down? Hum, good deal. They probably saw some lower sales compared to expectations, and that not a lot of unit were selling. It's not just that, paying a Switch + a game was close to 550$ with taxes, so I can understand how it can be hard to swallow that pill

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20$ down? Hum, good deal. They probably saw some lower sales compared to expectations, and that not a lot of unit were selling. It's not just that, paying a Switch + a game was close to 550$ with taxes, so I can understand how it can be hard to swallow that pill
It's topped charts in Canada every month since launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How in the world is Aces "half finished"?

Cut corners everywhere (announcer, sound/voice effects, game modes)
No unlockables or single player content whatsover beside 2 hour "story" mode
Busted online

Bought this shit day 1 and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Its clear the budget was kneecapped and the value proposition just isn't there but I digress, this thread is about the Switch price drop.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This lines up pretty well with the July 13th date that is looking pretty suspicious based on Japan's preorder that has been discussed a lot in the Media Creates threads.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Unless there is a worldwide price drop there is nothing to this other than a slight hell yeah for Canadians.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
What are we looking at?

Octopath and Captain Toad launch that day, plus Pokémon and Smash have their preorders opening. Preorders open after a Direct in Japan almost every time.

People speculated about a lunch for a revision, a price cut or maybe both for a month in the topics.

A cheaper SKU (for Nintendo and for the consumer) with no Nvidia flaws could be a huge boost for Nintendo.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I did mind a one time high priestess for a system. I do mind high prices for games though so no sale.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any price drop is good. The Switch was selling for worse than the exchange rate at launch.

Of course, Nintendo might pull a dick move and not drop the Canadian price further when the US gets its first cut.

Last edited:

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Reggie probably lobbied for the Price drop because he knows how much Canadians love Zelda.

It is when Canadian wages typically aren't any better than they are in the US. We're taking home the same dollar amount in local currency, but paying 25% more for consumer goods.

Also this is the truth, and it is horrible.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They ain't doing a Nintendo New Switch .

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I got a used one for 350 2 weeks ago...damn you, Nintendo.

But yeah, it's the games and controllers that are a killer on the wallet. I got Blazblue and I'm only getting Splatoon 2 because of today's EBay discount.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It is when Canadian wages typically aren't any better than they are in the US. We're taking home the same dollar amount in local currency, but paying 25% more for consumer goods.

I'm not sure I follow, in the US not factoring taxes taken out of wages or applied to the purchase, it takes about 41 hours to earn enough to buy a Switch at minimum wage, if we look at Washington which has the highest minimum, above federal, its about 26 hours.

In Canada, if you live in Saskatchewan it's just under 35 hours to earn enough to buy a Switch, and if in Ontario, it's a bit over 27. All in all, not all that different.

In Japan, if you live in the northern part of Honshu, it's just under 42 hours, and in Tokyo, it's just over 32 hours.

So I really don't understand the complaints in pricing. Canadian prices for the hardware are relatively on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

To Canadians it is. Not like we are getting paid more money since our currency is weak.

The minimum wage in Canada is 10.96, or 8.34USD, the minimum wage in the US is 7.25, and the minimum wage in Japan is 716 yen, or 6.47 USD...

When the USD starts to fall against other currencies do their prices increase?

Ask someone in the US, in Japan we are always dealing with that shit.

Last edited: