• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this earlier in the main thread discussing today's Nintendo data leak but seems this is big enough to deserve its own thread.

Basically in 2004 iQue proposed a mainline online Pokémon game for PC that used the GBA as the controller. Check the thread, there are lots of details.

Here's the full PPT found in the 1GB leak (extracted by myself):

www.docdroid.net

OnlinePokemonProject_Design.ppt

ONLINE POKEMON PROJECT iQue Ltd. Nov., 2004. Contents Project Base Line Offline Features (Inherit from FR/LG) Offline Features (Different to FR/LG) Online Features Explanation for Some Design Features Release Plan. iQue Ltd. Confidential. 2. Project Base Line Game Story will be based on Fire Red...

Also an additional document:

www.docdroid.net

PokemonExplained.doc

POKEMON O N L I N E M U LT I P L AY E R M O D E S [email protected] 09/14/04. Features of the Single-Player Mode ________________________________________ 1 Game Boy Multiplayer modes _____________________________________________ 2 Game Cube Multiplayer Modes ...

Oct 27, 2017
That actually sounds pretty cool. It's interesting a lot of ideas found themselves in D/P (2006), but some like having a server control the pokemon distribution of an area didn't show up till SwSh. Although it actually seems way more ambitious and MMO like than SwSh with actual scarcity and rarity to Pokemon. I'm not sure how that would've worked in practice

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
good thing it didn't happend, i am, this could happen if there was real online pokemon game

c104276dee6374d5ddb30205a57547e7.jpg

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure that posting illegally-obtained documents isn't against this forum's rules?

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the PC stuff would have been like Pokemon Stadium from what I understand. Treasure Hunt I guess was what became the underground in P/D/Pt.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I so hope they'd do this someday even if on Switch and/or PC. Sounded like a decent concept tbh

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
That's incredibly fascinating. I'm not sure how it would be have been quality-wise (though I'm sure Nintendo would have been intimately involved if it went through) but having Pokemon online in 2004 would have been awesome even if it was PC only.

Considering how adverse Nintendo was with online back then (and even now really), there was little chance of this happening though.