• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
This probably could be conveyed in a more professional manner, with examples of other games, details, and various screenshots to prove my point. However, this is pretty candid as I'm writing this after spending over an hour in Monster Hunter World's Character Creation. Fortunately, the beta didn't allow for very detailed character creation so I was unaware till now of the limited hair style options in the game.

Upon watching previews and reviews of the game I was impressed with how detailed the character creation seemed in Monster Hunter World, I've been playing the series since the PSP and have enjoyed the evolution of the series. However, this game, like many others in its genre, tends to leave out hairstyles and facial features which many would describe as being features or physical attributes commonly seen in Africans, African-Americans, Aboriginals, i.e. Black Features. Regardless, my complaint today is the lack of a freaking simple buzz cut!!!

I just want to make a character that looks like me... I feel that it's always been a challenge, especially with JRPG's or MMO's with Japanese developers. Heck, even Western games with character creation give me trouble. I was pretty surprised when even the safe bets of Afros, Dreadlocks, or even Cornrows didn't appear in this game; Monster Hunter World.

Tweeted about it here with a photo of myself and the avatars I gave up on. Going to my default, playing as a Female Avatar. On the, old site, I complained about Xenoblade Chronicles X having a similar issue.
https://twitter.com/KoKuTanLuFi/status/957116822175719424

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback guys, I did manage to settle on a female character with partial braided hair, reminding me of Sombra (Overwatch) and Laura (Street Fighter V). The hairstyle was actually DLC (Free).
img_20180127_133744.jpg

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Still don't understand why most game developers just don't licence the CAC system from APB. It was the only thing that fucking game did right.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
If you can't create yourself, create Tommy Wiseau.

I understand your frustration though. MGS V/Survive has a similar issue. If you want to create a seemingly meaty customization system, go all the way. Do all the hair styles, not just a few.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're a pretty good looking guy, but yeah this is the same problem I have with a lot of games with character creations (not just RPGs) in video games. But instead of wanting to make myself I always try to make this one single character I always RP as, but most games lack features that would enable the player to make a character that is otherwise completely human outside of the scope of the "theme" of the game. Plus, yeah most skin sliders in games are literally just a colour tint, but games like MGSV, The Division (as horrible as that game is) and Dragon's Dogma let you make people/characters of different ethnicity quite accurately.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the exact same boat as you OP, I'm really disappointed in the options they had so I just made a female character and did whatever. Strangely enough they don't even have the usual absurd afro, not even worthy of putting in joke representation >:(

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Hair options seem to be the most often missing feature in character creations like this. It's often the first thing you see from other players, so with limited options we'll see a lot of people sporting the same haircut.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Video game developers have never seen curly hair before. The struggle is real :(

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that sucks, really feels like a robust comprehensive off the shelf character customiser (that devs then tweak to suit their game) should really be a thing by now. It is to some extent a design problem, but feels like it's more of a solvable technical problem. I get that resources are always limited, and when choosing from presets there is always going to be some things that are excluded, but it's pretty clear that certain sections of the playerbase are given fewer options in many games.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Souls series and Bloodborne are huge offenders. You can spend hours tweaking a dozen different controls that subtly change the shape, size, color, and position of your eyebrows and every other thing, but then you get to hairstyles and it's pigtails or emo cut.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks OP. It is a challenge in many Japanese games. Last year was the first one I remember where I was able to play as a black character in many Nintendo games, if that's any indication of how slow changes like this happen.

I do think the very small number of black people living in Japan may be a factor, at some level. I actually watched this video earlier today (it's a bit old at this point), about a black comedian who is on the Japanese analog to Sesame Street. Hopefully his presence and continued feedback to devs helps this improve in the future and for future generations.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
That sucks OP. Hair styles are too model based as well. Should have some procedural options in there as well, similar to how you can adjust jawbones and hairlines, except with hair length thickness curliness etc- so that we can create our own hair types and styles as well to fill in the inevitable gaps.

I can never make myself because I lack the patience to do the minute adjustments and readjustments.

Then I play around with stuff like beards and end up with Jesus.

Then I make Jesus fat.

Then I make Jesus super short and fat.

Then I play dragons dogma with short fat Jesus because I find the idea of short fat Jesus Jumping on a griffins face and lighting himself on fire delightfully absurd.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Back at the old place there was a thread talking about this with games and poc characters that actually had our type of hair. It was great to see some good black hairstyles and cuts done right.

The only thing we can do is shout to studios to get a bit more creative with hair styles instead of using the default templates that's been used for the last 15 years. You'd be surprised how complex and fantastic low cut fades can get, guys.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Not gonna lie i was pretty annoyed when I noticed that you can't make a Hispanic character, like you said something as simple as buzz cut isn't in the game.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's a bald monk head, not a buzz cut. That blows.

On the other hand grats on being ripped OP. You could probably hunt monsters in real life.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Austin Walker tweeted about it earlier.

There is progress, but it's going a bit too slow unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, that dude you made looks like you. Nobody is able to make carbon copies of themselves. You just make as close as you can get.

Nov 4, 2017
When OP turns out to be dreamy...
giphy.gif

They don't have buzzcut or dreads?! But buzzcut, dreads and cornrows are the standard "minimal effort" PoC hairstyles!! Seriously, gaming needs more diversity...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, hair that looks like hair that black people have in real life, which is not just 'white people hair' but dark, or bald, or an afro.

It's kind of weird with MHW, even for other hairstyles, they have a LOT of them but I feel like over 50% are vary slight variations on short messy hairstyles that are barely different.

Like, for a game with 30 haircuts or something it sure doens't have much variety.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume genuine ignorance rather than you being disingenuous.

I really don't understand this "disingenunous" term, i'm a brown skinned guy, not white, not black but may hair is normal? I don't see "White people hair" and "Black people hair", even white people use "Afro cut" or "Dreads" so i don't understand the "Black hair", that's it.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand this "disingenunous" term, i'm a brown skinned guy, not white, not black but may hair is normal? I don't see "White people hair" and "Black people hair", even white people use "Afro cut" or "Dreads" so i don't understand the "Black hair", that's it.
People of different ethnicities literally have different hair texture, which affects how hair moves, looks, feels, hangs etc. When people refer to "black hair" in games, they're referring to hair that looks like it has the same physical texture as "black hair" irl.

There are also black hair styles, as in hair styles which are fashionable or popular within that community, which games often skip over as well, falling back on "cornrows or shaved".

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Are you saying you don't know what disingenuous means? I essentially assumed you didn't know and you weren't just trolling.

Essentially, black people do not have straight hair. Also straight isn't "normal" just like afro hair texture isn't "abnormal."

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
I was never able to make myself so at a certain point i decided to create a female character(i'm male) and damn that was eye opening! Why looking for dozens or hundreds of hours at a male character when i can look at a female character i like?

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
No fucking way.
You're really serious with this bullshit...???

Oct 26, 2017
No fucking way.
You're really serious with this bullshit...???

Yes i'm serious with this "bullshit", you have some problem if you need to separate or put in different groups hair styles, "black hair", "white hair" and so on.
Also i don't fucking care, i asked a question and i got my answer, so your comment is basically useless.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes i'm serious with this "bullshit", you have some problem if you need to separate hair styles, "black hair", "white hair" and so on.
Also i don't fucking care, i asked a question and i got my answer, so your comment is basically useless.
You have to be awfully fuckin obtuse to not be able to see the difference in hair qualities between race. Or is this some diet racist, "I don't see race" bullshit you're trying to pass by us?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't I ever give my characters a good fade...
Was just having this dilemma last night when I started playing MHW.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes i'm serious with this "bullshit", you have some problem if you need to separate or put in different groups hair styles, "black hair", "white hair" and so on.

I'm shocked that you think people have "problems" for acknowledging different biological features. Black people dont have straight hair, and for the most part we're the only ones with out hair texture, ergo, black hair, and the stylings of that hair texture, being black hair styles. I can deal will ignorance, but dont be willfully ignorance when the facts are explained to you.

example, this is a black hair style

3-afro-temple-fade.jpg

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I was SHOCKED that I couldn't pick my traditional joke afro that's usually included in these character creators. Don't really care too much though since you barely ever see your hair (or face for that matter) when you've got armor on in MH.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
The issue here is that no one actually explained what is meant by those terms.
There are 4 types of hair textures:
1. Straight
2. Wavy
3. Curly
4. Kinky

Types 2-4 has an a,b, and c subset Which represents how strong/tight the texture is. When they refer to "black people" hair they are taking about type 4 hair and the styles associated with it.

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
I'm shocked that you think people have "problems" for acknowledging different biological features. Black people dont have straight hair, and for the most part we're the only ones with out hair texture, ergo, black hair, and the stylings of that hair texture, being black hair styles. I can deal will ignorance, but dont be willfully ignorance when the facts are explained to you.

3-afro-temple-fade.jpg
As an aside, that haircut is amazing.

What games actually do have good character creators for people who aren't white?

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Always disappointing
Sometimes I end up making a female just to make the hair more reasonable

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017

3-afro-temple-fade.jpg
Could an interface to produce hairstyles in that style look like a texture drawing interface? (where you put the hair gradient where you want)

I don't think there currently is a recognised and agreed-upon database for "must-have harcuts for any personnalisation game" (as far as I know) but that could also be a technical solution. Sets down an easy-to-access "minimal implementation" base convention.

Truezeldafan

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Maaaan I hear you brotha. Was pretty disappointed as well. Had to resign to my dude rocking the perm to end all perms....I mean can they at least throw us a Jheri curl? I'm trying to let my soul glow. Heh

Wish they'd all look at GW2. That game had some great "Rpg hair" for black guys options.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I feel you dude.
The lack of the buzzcut is super dissapointing, i thought of going with a female mc but my co-op partner went with one and i like having my shit different than his.
One would think that a buzzcut would be one of the simple ones to make too.
But this is how it usually is with the exception of something like 2k.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We just going to ignore the OP flexing?

Also - as a white guy, even I struggle with hair in a lot of games. I just want to look like me, but the games never have simple hair styles. I've never seen a game where you could just create your own hair. That would be cool, shape it how you want, lengthen the parts you want etc. Probably doesn't work with modern character modelling techniques. Maybe something like the tech Dreams is using could do it.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I haven't had a chance to open my copy yet, but it's expected of every game at this point.

Nice Dragon Ball shirt tho

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at this point I just assume that devs will just do the most token effort on black hair unless they really have no choice.

So basketball games, which I don't play so fuck it.