• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think that Resident Evil could work as an annual franchise?

• Yes.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • No.

Votes: 84 70.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first part of Capcom's strategy involves aiming for steady annual releases on the global market of its core IPs like Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter. They intend to analyze the factor behind the Monster Hunter World success, and proactively recruit new graduates to bring the developer workforce to 2,500 by 2021. This will be done in order to increase the number of major new worldwide releases.

Capcom intends to maximize revenue from current core IPs, while also utilizing dormant IPs. The company recognizes that "the creation of new IP is also indispensable for
medium- to long-term growth" so they aim to continually create new brands as well.

https://www.dualshockers.com/capcom-annual-releases/

Here's a timeline of the Resident Evil game's releases. The series took one year arbitrary breaks in 1997, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2017, with 2013-2014 being the only time the series took a two year break after RE6's launch.

WL2WOzz.png

Do you think that Resident Evil could work as an annual franchise now as it used to during 1998-2005?

MOD UPDATE:

Just FYI. This doesn't mean a Resident Evil game every year. It means at least one of their core IP's (RE, MH, DMC etc...) being released each year.

It's part of Capcom's 60 month development plan to have multiple teams creating games so they have at least one major IP release each year.

img_growth01_04.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Resident Evil is probably the only franchise that can do annual releases unless they want to bury MegaMan again lmfao

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this it what Capcom means.

It probably means they want to release at least one of their biggest IP each year, for example one Monster Hunter in 2019, one Street Fighter in 2020 and one Resident Evil in 2021, to take the three examples in the article.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil is probably the only franchise that can do annual releases unless they want to bury MegaMan again lmfao
Mega Man has never been AAA. never will be

doubt this is about 1 IP, and more about releasing one major IP every year (think MH one year, RE the next, whatever else the following year)

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this it what Capcom means.

It probably means they want to release at least one of their biggest IP each year, for example one Monster Hunter in 2019, one Street Fighter in 2020 and one Resident Evil in 2021, to take the three examples in the article.
This is how I'm reading it as well.

At minimum, one of their flagship IPs every single year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Err... don't they just mean that they want to release a core game every year?

Not that they want to release an annual entry for each series.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man has never been AAA. never will be

doubt this is about 1 IP, and more about releasing one major IP every year (think MH one year, RE the next, whatever else the following year)

Megaman was most certainly what one would consider a AAA title on the Super Nintendo. You could argue MM3 was for the Nintendo.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just FYI. This doesn't mean a Resident Evil game every year. It means at least one of their core IP's (RE, MH, DMC etc...) being released each year.

It's part of Capcom's 60 month development plan to have multiple teams creating games so they have at least one major IP release each year.

img_growth01_04.png

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So if last year was a Street Fighter and Resident Evil year, this year was Monster Hunter, next year is Resident Evil and DMC...

...2020 is Dragon's Dogma 2?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Monster Hunter did this for years, and largely because asset reuse made this easy.

World just means we're going to have a new era of asset reuse ripe for doing that all over again.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I can see it with big DLC/expansion, but no way big games like RE are gonna work with yearly new full releases.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I made a separate thread at about the same time where they note that they want to release approximately 3 major titles every year: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...imately-3-major-games-every-fiscal-year.74435

I think that's probably a much more accurate read on what they were talking about, since before, they'd sometimes only have one (or arguably zero) major releases in a given year.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has RE Engine cut a lot of Dev time? Anyway, I'm down.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Biennial releases of Resident Evil games would be pushing it, but is definitely doable if the quality is there. Annual releases would just be silly.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

img_growth01_04.png

I figured that's what this meant. It's a solid plan, too. They've kept to it for awhile now. 2017 was RE, 2018 was MHW, 2019 will be DMC. I could see 2021 being Street Fighter maybe? No clue what 2020 would be tho.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad you posted that timeline because I was going to say, I already saw it as an annual franchise, once you add in HD remasters like Revelations HD and Remake HD it is one.
Even without remakes, they have enough flavours of RE to approach one a year without it feeling like they are going overboard, and I think they are rumoured to have three games in the works simultaneously, which are likely RE2, Revs. 3 and RE8. I can see those releasing a year apart and maybe even a REmake3 following them up.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Including ports and re-releases Resident Evil has been annual for a while now hasn't it?

2011: RE4 HD, Code Veronica HD
2012: Revelations, Operation Raccoon City, RE6
2013: Revelations HD
2014: RE4 HD Windows
2015: REmake HD, RE0 HD, Revelations 2
2016: RE4 HD 2.0, RE5 HD, RE6 HD, Umbrella Corps
2017: RE7, Revelations HD 2.0,
2018: RE7 Switch (ok, bit of a cheat there...)
2019: REmake 2

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

img_growth01_04.png

Oh! Well, I'm dumb then. Yeah. That is a pretty good plan of attack.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
here's an idea, why not get external devs to make some of their games! what could possibly go wrong?
Not really anything new for RE. They've already outsourced or codeveloped a bunch of stuff before with partners like Tose (Survivor, REmake, RE0, Mercs 3D, RER, RER2), Nextech (RECV, GS2) and Cavia (GS3, Dead Aim, UC, DSC) and also western devs like Slant Six (ORC) or M4 (Gaiden).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really anything new for RE. They've already outsourced or codeveloped a bunch of stuff before with partners like Tose (Survivor, REmake, RE0, Mercs 3D, RER, RER2), Nextech (RECV, GS2) and Cavia (GS3, Dead Aim, UC, DSC) and also western devs like Slant Six (ORC) or M4 (Gaiden).
that's the joke. unless they bolster their numbers like crazy, I question if they'll be able to maintain their output like they desire. I know they outsource a lot, but having all their leads in japan could possibly limit their output

unless that's pretty much what they're going for. they already whittled the number of IPs down, so I guess they'll just maintain that, with the occasional mid-budget title (for that sweet switch support)

Oct 27, 2017
It could work if they manage to stay consistent with the level of polish for each game. That's always the fear, that you water down the experience because a new one comes out every year.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved pretty much everything Capcom has put out this gen, especially in the last couple of years and next year looks to be no different. So keep up the good work and I'll keep buying them.