• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom updated their million sellers page
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

At September 30, 2018
Street Fighter V (PS4, PC, DL) was at 2.2M units

At December 31, 2018
Street Fighter V (PS4, PC, DL) is at 2.9M units

That jump didn't happen for no reason, they very likely combined the sales numbers of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition.

Keep in mind that Capcom made no mention of SFV during the recent earnings result.

Note that this wasn't the only thing Capcom just combined.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
That's not bad, since the troll response was AE sold less than 100k. It's not amazing, but a fighting game pushing up on 3 mil lifetime on two platforms is decent. Making Capcom's top 20 ain't bad neither.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I enjoyed AE and still play it regularly.

Hopefully Capcom can launch SF6 in a better state.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This include costume sales? Cause that's the number I'm curious about, how much was that raking in for them?

Oct 25, 2017

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know the latest numbers given for Tekken 7? Or have they not said anything since announcing 3 million?

This include costume sales? Cause that's the number I'm curious about, how much was that raking in for them?

It doesn't. I really doubt this includes any of the DLC.

The original did 2.2 mil so that could be why Ultimate only did 1.2 mil.

I'm just clowning, but keep in mind that Ultimate wasn't a DLC upgrade for MvC3 owners. You had to buy the game separately.

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
They killed SF from the start and it was never able to recover since then. Meanwhile MK is doing bonkers. Terrible mismanagement.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know the latest numbers given for Tekken 7? Or have they not said anything since announcing 3 million?

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/dec/02/marduk-julia-and-armor-king-revealed-tekken-7/

December 2, 2018
Tekken 7 has now sold over 3.6 million copies worldwide according to Bandai Namco, and now some new characters will be coming to the successful fighting game very soon on the heels of the 2018 pro circuit finals.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Capgod would of gotten 5-6M LTD sales out of SFV, so there's still work to be done to reach that state of mind again. :p The fighting game division is the last barometer that will eventually determine if they go further beyond their current redemption arc. ;)

Oct 28, 2017
Interested to see where Capcom is gonna go with their next fighting game, surely they will have learned things from SFV.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah I think this is SFV's last year, at least support-wise, so hopefully they're cooking something very special for SF6.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Tekken 7 selling only 700,000 more copies is not a huge gap considering it's on Xbox.
It also did that in less time. Tekken 7 should be at 4 million at some point in 2019 (2 years) while SFV should be at 3 million by then (4 years).

It also didn't rerelease a new SKU with more content at a budget price.
That too.
The extra 700k is a combination of lower priced retail SKU, digital SKU and DLC.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Specifically, what do you mean by this?

From a personal standpoint, I don't think Capcom will ever go for any exclusivity or pushing the game before SP again. With gameplay, I think V triggers will be taking a break. I have no qualms with SFV personally, but I could see a push for something easier to play for the casual audience again like SF4 was.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter series, please dont die (again).
They killed SF from the start and it was never able to recover since then. Meanwhile MK is doing bonkers. Terrible mismanagement.
I highly doubt that SFV is gonna kill the series. Street Fighter has survived worse.

From a personal standpoint, I don't think Capcom will ever go for any exclusivity or pushing the game before SP again. With gameplay, I think V triggers will be taking a break. I have no qualms with SFV personally, but I could see a push for something easier to play for the casual audience again like SF4 was.
But SFV is easier for casuals to play than SFIV.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Bought both versions twice
All I hope for in next SF for its dlc to be accessible to all accounts on that system not just locked to one otherwise I won't buy it anymore

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I see what you mean. Though for the gameplay point, from what I understand, SFV was designed to be more casual-friendly with the removal of OSes and the V-Trigger system allowing for explosive comebacks. Increased buffer windows, a plethora of anti-fireball tools, removal of unblockables, etc.

They got beat up for their lack of single player content at launch, but I wonder... FighterZ single-player offering was pretty poor at launch, too (though much more substantial than SFV's). Still, that and an arcade mode will likely be priorities for Capcom's next game. The Fight Money system definitely won't be staying in this form.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
SFV didn't kill the serie lol. You'll definitely see another installment next gen. Let's hope they get it right from the start.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I highly doubt that SFV is gonna kill the series.

But SFV is easier for casuals to play than SFIV.

Yeah, no. At least not in my circles. The V triggers being different across numerous characters impacted playability (where some feel better than others since their V is something simpler) and no revenge meter meant comebacks were rare.

Like I said I have no qualms with the game. But these are the biggest issues I see in my casual circle. I'm talking casual city here, not mid-level play (there's of course things that will always be hard like charge characters).

This. Nothing about IV made it easier for casuals than V.

If we're talking about how things aren't as frame perfect as SF4 sure. But that's not the aspect I'm talking about here when I say casual.

Oct 25, 2017
They really screwed up with SFV. Everyone was so hyped with the reveal and they completely botched the launch. I consider that old Capcom though because they have bounced back strong with everything since then.

They'll get it right next time.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, no. At least not in my circles. The V triggers being different across numerous characters impacted playability (where some feel better than others since their V is something simpler) and no revenge meter meant comebacks were rare.

Like I said I have no qualms with the game. But these are the biggest issues I see in my casual circle. I'm talking casual city here, not mid-level play (there's of course things that will always be hard like charge characters).
The problem with universal mechanics is that not everyone can capitalize on them as well as others can, this was especially true of the Focus Attack system. Likewise, V-Trigger was the comeback mechanic, just one that was character-specific. Likewise, there were a ton of other things that were simplified in SFV to make getting into the series easier for newbies.

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder how many more copies they would have sold if they released the game on Xbox and Switch. Feel like a company that denies a product to a huge amount of potential customers has only themselves to blame when it doesn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of sales.

At least it is still a lot more respected (and played) than MvC:I so that's something.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It also didn't rerelease a new SKU with more content at a budget price.

Calling AE a new SKU may be technically correct, but it's practically not. It was a free upgrade for base owners. And Tekken 7 has been budget priced for a while too, and it's using the same season model as SFV.

It also did that in less time. Tekken 7 should be at 4 million at some point in 2019 (2 years) while SFV should be at 3 million by then (4 years).

I'm not sure how much momentum it has. The first 3 mil for T7 was sold shortly after release. I don't doubt it'll reach 4 million eventually.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wonder how many more copies they would have sold if they released the game on Xbox and Switch. Feel like a company that denies a product to a huge amount of potential customers has only themselves to blame when it doesn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of sales.

At least it is still a lot more respected (and played) than MvC:I so that's something.
Sony helped speed up the release of SFV, for better or worse, in exchange for permanent console exclusivity.

Going forward, I'd imagine that SFVI will be on PS5/Xbox Scarlett/PC (not Switch due to the huge gap in power that'll likely be a thing by then).

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
While it's so great to see all other Capcom IPs thriving, it's really sad to see SF struggling.
Please don't die SF :(

Maybe that's a little extreme. I just mean I want SF to sell a lot more.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom should combine a lot of other SKUs tbh.

SKUs that were Base Game + DLC like SSF4,SSF4 AE,USFIV,USFIV PC.

And also shit like the GC and PS2 RE4 counting as separate titles.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I see what you mean. Though for the gameplay point, from what I understand, SFV was designed to be more casual-friendly with the removal of OSes and the V-Trigger system allowing for explosive comebacks. Increased buffer windows, a plethora of anti-fireball tools, removal of unblockables, etc.

They got beat up for their lack of single player content at launch, but I wonder... FighterZ single-player offering was pretty poor at launch, too (though much more substantial than SFV's). Still, that and an arcade mode will likely be priorities for Capcom's next game. The Fight Money system definitely won't be staying in this form.

All I can talk about is personal experience and the groups I play with. SFV might've been designed with those ideas in mind, but I can't say it ever felt that way in the hours I have on it.
Especially when there was a party going on. People were more inclined to play 4 than V.

The problem with universal mechanics is that not everyone can capitalize on them as well as others can, this was especially true of the Focus Attack system. Likewise, V-Trigger was the comeback mechanic, just one that was character-specific. Likewise, there were a ton of other things that were simplified in SFV to make getting into the series easier for newbies.
That's the thing. There was definitely attempts to make it easier and somethings even I noticed. Mainly the ease of being able to chain combos in the training room compared to 4. But I still feel the ideas they had were not implemented well. Like not being more than a mediocre player at best, it's hard to explain. But for me, just because they tried to make things easier for the people at the bottom. Doesn't mean they did, even if someone higher up the ladder thinks so. That's about the only way I can explain it.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
All I can talk about is personal experience and the groups I play with. SFV might've been designed with those ideas in mind, but I can't say it ever felt that way in the hours I have on it.
Especially when there was a party going on. People were more inclined to play 4 than V..

I'd say which game being easier would depend on the general skill level of both players.

SFIV does feel like more classic Street Fighter. So around mid level SFV becomes hard because of its overwhelming offense. SFIV feels like it has more "breathing room".

But if you are an absolute casual ( mashing type ) , I cant see people finding much difference between the two. At least in V you can do your combos easier I guess and V triggers are easier to do and you feel more powerful.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Yup figured it didn't push past a million yesh that is sad. Curious what the plans are for the next Stret Fighter game with how SF5 turned out in the end.

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When SF4 launched, it was not anime. I feel like it captured some of that MK audience (UFC/football bros). SFV was anime as fuck from the start.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
How did they go from SFIV sales to this.... Well we all know why. It was because of Ken.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
When SF4 launched, it was not anime. I feel like it captured some of that MK audience (UFC/football bros). SFV was anime as fuck from the start.

SFVI to start using RE Engine confirmed lol.

But tbh it would be pretty amazing to see how SF would look in the style of DMCV and RE2. It would definitely cater to the dudebro audience more , but WW sales might get affected.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
At this point they should just ice SF6 for a while and do either Darkstalkers, Capcom vs Capcom, or Rival Schools for their next mainline fighting game. Let their be a few years with no SF to build anticipation back up for the next title.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I find the sales news of this game kind of meaningless at this point since they won't give numbers for DLC.
What does this even mean. SFV literally has an audience of people in the military.