• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Cyke's XvSF theme sounds like something from an SNES Capcom game X3

His CotA theme though is great

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now you mention music in the Vs series, I always wondered what the heck was going on with Wolverine's theme in MSH Vs SF:

Its just so... relaxing? Its completely at odds with what I think of musically when I think of Wolverine. Especially when guys like Spidey, Cap and Blackheart get really good remixes of their MSH themes. Wolvies MvC/MvC3 theme though, that hits the spot.

That said, I quite like Vega's theme in MSH Vs SF:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Logan's theme in MSHvSF sounds like a smooth jazz kinda thing...
I am now envisioing an art piece of Logan just sitting on a chair relaxing while listening to that track.

Also, yeah, Dictator's theme is really good.

As a side note, Pyron's theme is...wonderful

...and because it is one of my fav. Darkstalkers characters, here is Phobos/Hutizil's theme

Bonus: Garuda's theme from the EX series

BTW that street writer blog is neat! Here's something I noticed: Phobos/Huitzil's Vampire Hunter stage resembles Sentinel's X-Men CotA stage in that they both involve constructing a giant robot.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
O0GFBkh.png

I don't like how randomly arranged the characters are in the original EX2 chara select screen. Curiously enough, it didn't include Dictator at least. V. Rosso and Area wouldn't be included until Plus too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah SFEX2... I really love that the game is one of the few back then to buck the trend of having Dictator as the final boss, getting Garuda (who is so damn cool) instead. EX2+ did do some things right - as you say Rosso and Area show up, Pullum is also back (yay!) and so is Sagat and Dictator as the final two bosses (yay...?)
And weirdly, Hayate is a hidden character (at least in the console version). Never understood why they did that... Also while thinking about cuts, remember SFEX2 having the stage "Crash Power Plant"? Well that's for some reason cut? from arcade mode, though it remains in for Vs mode, with its remixed theme no less:

Just seems strange that its completely kept in, but not ever used in arcade mode. Wonder what the story was there...
Also, sticking to music, and Garuda - More Stronger:
EX2 Arranged Album:
(48:45 is Garuda's theme, for some reason I can't find the individual track anymore :( )

EX2+ (PS1):

Pity that Blair especially was removed in favor for her inclusion in Fighting Layer, Allen I can take or leave with the whole Shoto clones thing in EX1 but Blair was pretty cool and unique.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, Passage of the Lotus is a fantastic remix as well, slow to start, but that build up rocks when the full theme hits. Shadow Geist's theme kicks ass as well, way better than his remix in EX2+ on the PS1.

One thing I loved about the Arika series is their music. Granted the games look dated now (still super fun to play mind you) but the music hasn't aged at all, its still so damn good. Honestly, leagues better than anything Capcom has put out for the series since Third Strike. Well, aside from the stage themes in EX3, those sucked... Garuda's new theme in that game (for 1 player mode, not Vs mode) is so limp and lifeless compared to Stronger.

Ah... I really should boot up Fighting EX Layer again. That game was such a wonderful sequel to the EX series. Pity about the apparent bad blood between them and Capcom probably dooming any sort of future crossover between series. I'd love Garuda, Skullo and a couple of others to jump over the SF again... I actually had hoped SF5 season 2 would have Garuda in it (I forget why on earth I thought that would happen!)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I really need to lesrn the history behind how arika got the ok to make the sfex series as well as their design docs on characters as well as the story.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
While on the topic of SFEX, I'll repost one of the more bizarre pieces of art relating to the game (maybe NSFW, so spoiler tagged)
CoitCOZoftryQJnY5vrAyvxe6s5XAgB9tYnzD3RvYtU.jpg

Just... why does this exist? And what are they doing to Ryu?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Converting him into skullo mania

Skulo is based on kamen rider. Some early kame rider series i involved turning a human into...well a monster solider at least by the villain organisation :p
Look up the firet 3 or 4 kamen rider series for a better idea.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought he was a salary man turned super hero (Marvel style almost). That's just... a creepier way of looking at it! Interesting though.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I always thought he was a salary man turned super hero (Marvel style almost). That's just... a creepier way of looking at it! Interesting though.
That's Skullo's backgrounds tory which is more comical in nature I guess, but now that I'm on my Laptop I can link to this
kamenrider.fandom.com

Kamen Rider V3

For the series' main character, V3, see Shiro Kazami. Kamen Rider V3 (仮面ライダーV3(ブイスリー), Kamen Raidā Bui Surī, "Masked Rider V3" in English), is a Japanese tokusatsu drama in Toei Company's Kamen Rider Series. It is the second series to debut in the Showa Era, serving as a direct sequel to the...

I remember there was a YT video clip of the first 2 Riders assisting in turning Shiro into a Kamen Rider, but I can't find it ^^; It'd basically be 'inspiration' for that artwork.
As an added bonus, DanganRonpa V3 would gets its title from this particular series too.

BigMex

Jan 5, 2020
Long Beach
I am going through and closing all my tabs I've had open for weeks, and just got to this one. I have no idea what happened with that last post. I am pretty sure I was starting to write something like

"Oh, I didn't know you posted here, I love your site!!!"

but somehow I accidentally hit post way too early and didn't notice. Sorry my dude!
No worries, I'm editing new podcast episodes on the brawling genre now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, wanted some time away from Yakuza 7 and fired up Fighting EX Layer. Its a real pity that Arika and Capcom couldn't colaborate and add a SF character or two to the game (well, sequel) as going back to it, it feels fantastic to play. Really fast paced, easy to pick up and has that perfect SFEX+@ feel, only faster.
Oh well, at least we got Terry Bogard at least!

Speaking of Capcom games though, I really gotta get back to playing through my Capcom backlog (almost done with 1994's games...), I sorta got side tracked thanks to Yakuza and Shenmue. But hey, at least I got some great time in with RE3 - ended up playing both the original alongside the remake as I wanted to compare what was included in the original to the remake. Can't quite decide which of the two I prefer - I absolutely love the feel and pace of the new game, but I prefer the locations and puzzles in the old game...

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell Capcom.
www.gematsu.com

Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi Anniversary Edition launches July 21 in Japan

Capcom will release a Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi Anniversary Edition for PlayStation 4 on July 21 in Japan for 5,990 yen, the publisher announced.
Kill me.
Not a single addition. Not even the lame characters from the Yukimura spin-off. It's Sumeragi, which is already on PS4, not even a port of the superior Utage which is stuck on PS3, or a compilation of the older ones.
It's not even a new package: the DLC are codes to enter manually, they didn't even bundled it.

I am so angry right now. There are dead franchises, and then there are dead franchises where the dev spits in everyone's faces periodically.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Such a bizarre move to basically re-release a game already on the platform... Oh well, this did open my eyes to the fact that I never got Utage on the PS3, so I'll definitely import that one.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Capcom... since you refuse my polite requests to port Warzard to literally anything, you've forced this on me:

Yup, I now own a CPS3 setup. Its a modded Darksoft setup, which basically means the shitty suicide measures the board/cart had are now removed and so its not prone to just dying on its ass randomly. It also means I can play any CPS3 game easily, though yeah this is mainly for Warzard/Red Earth.

And boy do I like the game. CPS3 was always unfortunately an under utilised board and its such a pity since the sprites on this game are huge, and look/animate fantastically. Its basically what I'd imagine a next gen (at the time) Darkstalkers game might look like (some of the designs and overall feel of the game really feel similar to DS)
Combat wise the leveling system is an interesting idea, though with passwords I could just automatically use a max level password but I'm enjoying replaying the game leveling up Leo bit by bit.

I think that's it for me for the more exotic side of Capcom purchases. I'm honestly running out of the random and rare! I look forward to December when I can get my hands on that physical DMC5 SE though!

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Dear Capcom... since you refuse my polite requests to port Warzard to literally anything, you've forced this on me:

Yup, I now own a CPS3 setup. Its a modded Darksoft setup, which basically means the shitty suicide measures the board/cart had are now removed and so its not prone to just dying on its ass randomly. It also means I can play any CPS3 game easily, though yeah this is mainly for Warzard/Red Earth.

And boy do I like the game. CPS3 was always unfortunately an under utilised board and its such a pity since the sprites on this game are huge, and look/animate fantastically. Its basically what I'd imagine a next gen (at the time) Darkstalkers game might look like (some of the designs and overall feel of the game really feel similar to DS)
Combat wise the leveling system is an interesting idea, though with passwords I could just automatically use a max level password but I'm enjoying replaying the game leveling up Leo bit by bit.

I think that's it for me for the more exotic side of Capcom purchases. I'm honestly running out of the random and rare! I look forward to December when I can get my hands on that physical DMC5 SE though!

Congrats on the CPS3. I've always wished Warzard got a port as it's such a beautiful game! I've been holding off on getting one because of space (I'm hoping MiSTer will get there one day for FPGA emulation) but man I would be a-okay with just Third Strike let alone Warzard/JoJo. Can you imagine CPS3 versions of Darkstalkers/SF Zero/Marvel VS with the then peak Capcom art team? oooooh lord

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the CPS3. I've always wished Warzard got a port as it's such a beautiful game! I've been holding off on getting one because of space (I'm hoping MiSTer will get there one day for FPGA emulation) but man I would be a-okay with just Third Strike let alone Warzard/JoJo. Can you imagine CPS3 versions of Darkstalkers/SF Zero/Marvel VS with the then peak Capcom art team? oooooh lord
Thanks :) Yeah its a really pretty game with some fantastic character designs, really creative and weird. I feel like looking at several of them gives us an idea of how amazing DS on CPS3 would have been - I mean the Oni dude and killer sphinx feel straight up out of DS in places (the sphinx has one of Felicia's moves as well which made me chuckle)
And yeah, a Marvel (VS) game on CPS3 would probably be the prettiest thing ever... it'd undoubtedly have a smaller roster but just imagining Spidey with CPS3 level animation... amazing indeed!

leder

Oct 25, 2017

Oh man that's really cool, congrats.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Been on a bit of a Capcom spree as of late (both buying and playing). These arrived this week:

Ultra Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter II'

Gigawing 2 for the Dreamcast and Forgotten Worlds SE (with Avenue 3 button pad) for the PC Engine CD

Storm Collectibles Zangief (been after this one for a while)

And lastly, another big purchase:

Darksoft CPS2 PCB/kit - basically its a CPS2 board that has every CPS2 game on it. Saves on space etc. and means I can play all the CPS2 releases on my Supergun, including several that I don't have/havent ever been ported. Cant wait for the CPS1 kit to materialise.

The Darksoft set is amazing. I had the CPS3 one they did (mainly for Warzard) and couldn't resist since having every CPS2 game to play on my Supergun was just too good to pass up. Been playing around with it this evening and its just as great as I'd expect. The fighters as you can imagine are brilliant - X-Men Vs SF, Darkstalkers, Hyper Street Fighter 2 etc. plus the 19XX games, the brawlers and even the forgotten gems - yes I'm talking about Jyangokushi! (its a really fast paced Mahjong game, I love it but I love Mahjong!)

I've also been playing around on a few different versions of Super SF2 Turbo lately and its still one of the more interesting Capcom releases due to all these ports...

The 3DO port is excellent hurt only by the awful default pad for the console. I wasn't up for spending extra for a pad I'll use just on one game which I only play every once and a while. Still, considering the time period this was released in, its easily the best SSF2T port technically until the PS1/Saturn version a few years later. Blows the console ports of New Challengers out of the water, that's for sure (though that's not exactly a fair comparison).

The Switch exclusive "Ultra" SF2 is a weird one. I don't mind that its basically just Remix with a couple of new pallet swaps, that's still fun (if you have a decent dpad at least) but have you tried playing the motion controlled "way of the hadou" mode? Its bloody awful, inputs that dont work and just terrible gameplay. It only takes a couple of minutes to finish and yet I still feel robbed of my time!

Next up is the actual HD Remix game on the PS3. I'll be honest, I don't dislike the art (I'm more critical of some music choices honestly). I like some of the motion changes (works great on a pad this way) and its a fun alternative way to experience the game (not like I dont have plenty of other ways to experience it arcade perfect!)

And lastly, is Hyper SF2 for the arcade. Which I've actually started to really enjoy. Its unbalanced as heck, but that's kinda the charm of it. Playing as the different versions of each character is a nice novelty and sets it apart from the other versions. Pity that its never been ported since the PS2 era... it deserves a modern port (in the same way that SFZ3 Upper should have also been ported for the 30th Anniversary collection)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, jealous. I've been looking at getting a darksoft CPSII for years.
Its really an awesome piece of tech. I've got both a CPS2 and 3 set now and boy am I going for that CPS1 kit when its eventually released. Pity that Capcom can't do official ports of all the games but its understandable what with the licensed games (and at least they are making a fresh effort with the arcade stadium coming next month, which I'll be grabbing as well!)

Needless to say, between this and my other recent purchases I have enough Capcom to go round for at least until GnG and MH Rise are released! Really looking forward to both of those, what with how good GnG is looking (and I'm glad to hear classic difficulty is something they are looking to stick with) and I've played that Rise demo plenty of times, it had me glued to my Switch for days. And a RE8 showcase is coming this week... stop spoiling me Capcom!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its been awhile since I posted anything, but I finally have something cool Capcom related to shill for...

Its a Darksoft CPS1 board. What does that mean? Well...

Here's me playing King of Dragons earlier with my Supergun. A great time was had. But really, what I wanted it for was...

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs! But also, for any other licensed Capcom games that wont see release in stuff like arcade stadium (so that's Punisher, Nemo, Willow etc.)
All are playable, all look gorgeous via my Upscalers, play beautifull via my Supergun... basically imagine the very best way to experience these games minus the extreme price and storage of owning every PCB, and not needing to worry about boards suiciding etc. That's what these Darksoft boards do (I have the CPS2 and 3 boards as well, they are equally as amazing)

They did not teach me a lesson.

Capcom's been doing a good job with their ports lately. BN collection is coming, the fighting collection FINALLY ported Warzard (wonder how many times in this thread I asked for that port!) and they have Arcade Stadium 2 coming soon as well, but the one thing that continues to hurt them arcade/legacy game wise, is the inability to re-release the licensed titles. AvP, C&D, almost anything Marvel, even smaller stuff like Willow and Nemo... Its nice to have a way outside of emulators for me to be able to play these - I love using real hardware instead of emulation and this is the best way of doing it save for actually buying the PCBs (which as mentioned above, would be a cost, space issue. So I think this weekend I'm gonna revisit some of the classic CPS1 Capcom games, definitely doing C&D alongside the Punisher. Maybe I'll try Willow again to see if I can change my opinion on it!

Darkwing Duck

Sep 5, 2023
I hope Community Threads are fine to necro.

Was looking through the Capcom leak from a few years ago ahead of their TGS event and tried to piece together what I could, some things could be wrong. Separated by released/announced and unnanounced.

- MH NS G (QY F22) Monster Hunter Rise (March 26, 2021)
- MH Stories 2 (Q1 FY21) Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Jul 8, 2021)
- DGS 12 (Q1 FY21) The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Jul 8, 2021)
- "Indies 2" (Q1 FY22) Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium (Jul 21, 2022)
- RESIDENT EVIL 4 REMAKE (Q4 FY22) Resident Evil 4 (Mar 23, 2023)
- STREET FIGHTER 6 (Q3 FY22) Street Fighter 6 (June 2, 2023)
- SHIELD (Q3 FY21) Exoprimal (Jul 13, 2023)
- Dragon's Dogma 2 (Q2 FY22) Dragon's Dogma 2 (2024)
- REGOLITH (Q4 FY21) Pragmata (TBA)

- RESIDENT EVIL OUTRAGE (Q4 FY21)
- ROCKMAN MATCH (Q3 FY22)
- ONIMUSHA NEW WORK (Q4 FY22)
- SHIELD G (Q4 FY22)
- Monster Hunter 6 (Q2 FY23)
- BIOHAZARD APOCALYPSE (Q3 FY23)
- CAPTAIN COMMANDO (Q4 FY23)
- SSF6 (Q4 FY23)
- NEW C (Q1 FY24)
- FINAL FIGHT REMAKE (Q2 FY24)
- POWER STONE REMAKE (Q3 FY24)
- NEW B (Q4 FY24)
- Ultra SF6 (Q4 FY24)
- Resident Evil Hank (Q4 FY24)

Really curious as to what New C and New B are but it will probably be some time before those are known.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I imagine some stuff has shifted or gotten cancelled.

The things that have most likely "survived" are those beat'em up remakes. Especially after how well Streets of Rage 4 and TMNT have done.
Also I still bet that "Onimusha" ended up turning into Kunimitsu: PotG

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want all those to live, I dont know... We'll see what they announce in the next year or so - at this point I feel we should be seeing a few of the soon to be announced stuff assuming it still exists - especially Mega Man.

Darkwing Duck

Sep 5, 2023
I imagine some stuff has shifted or gotten cancelled.

The things that have most likely "survived" are those beat'em up remakes. Especially after how well Streets of Rage 4 and TMNT have done.
Also I still bet that "Onimusha" ended up turning into Kunimitsu: PotG
I hope the beat'em up remakes are still a go. Captain Commando, Final Fight, Mega Man Match, and Power Stone are my most wanted games in that leak outside of anything Street Fighter related. Really hope we get to finally see what Mega Man Match is this TGS.

As much as I want all those to live, I dont know... We'll see what they announce in the next year or so - at this point I feel we should be seeing a few of the soon to be announced stuff assuming it still exists - especially Mega Man.
Yeah, after more digging. RESIDENT EVIL OUTRAGE was apparently Revelations 3 and that may have been internally cancelled.