• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they release a special mahjong controller for NES or something?

My Yakuza 0 playthrough got totally derailed by Mahjong lol. Still not sure I totally understand the game, but it's still fun as hell.

Yeah, Capcom released two Mahjong games (that I'm aware of) on the Famicom and both game with special Mahjong controllers. I've got them both, the games are pretty basic but fun at the same time. Its a nice oddity for the collection!

I know the feeling with regards to Yakuza. When doing my Kiwami 100% I did the Mahjong league (basically raising my rank from 30 to 1st) as it was one of those "pay once, play forever" deals in the game (and I had little money at the time). Must have spent loads of time on that mode, but you got exclusive weapons through it so it made sense to grind out a few wins here and there. I've gotten to the point where I think I have a good understanding of basic rules of the game, but some of the special tiles still confuse the heck outta me!

grabbed a capcom game last week: too lazy to open but spine inside =)
D8MUwLVl.jpg

edit: also grabbed a copy of x4!
GUBb23il.jpg

Very nice :) X4 remains one of my most favourite X games (can't wait for the collections this month!) and the Generations games are really well done on the Saturn, I've been playing those through slowly. I really hope Capcom considers doing another collection, only this time really dip into more of the games they've never brought over (not licensed stuff) like Battle Circuit, Armoured Warriors, Warzard, M.A.D Gear etc.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the Neo Geo Mini being announced puts us any closer to the possibility of having a CPS1 or CPS2 mini? I would buy one so fast.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice :) X4 remains one of my most favourite X games (can't wait for the collections this month!) and the Generations games are really well done on the Saturn, I've been playing those through slowly. I really hope Capcom considers doing another collection, only this time really dip into more of the games they've never brought over (not licensed stuff) like Battle Circuit, Armoured Warriors, Warzard, M.A.D Gear etc.
Thanks man!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the Neo Geo Mini being announced puts us any closer to the possibility of having a CPS1 or CPS2 mini? I would buy one so fast.
That'd be interesting. I'd buy it for sure, but I'd also settle for a Capcom collection on current consoles and PC. I know Capcom is paying attention to its back catalogue more (see Mega Man 11) so its possible they branch out more (I hope)

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be interesting. I'd buy it for sure, but I'd also settle for a Capcom collection on current consoles and PC. I know Capcom is paying attention to its back catalogue more (see Mega Man 11) so its possible they branch out more (I hope)
Yeah I'd love that too. The Capcom Arcade Cabinet from last gen was amazing, but stopped at '88. I'll take anything that gets me a high quality CPS2 collection. That has a serious claim on best game hardware of all time for me. Almost every single game is top shelf.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its always a pity the only CPS2 stuff that seems to get released is Street Fighter games (or super rarely Darkstalkers). A real CPS2 collection would be amazing.

Anyway. More progress on my Capcom run today. After much grit and determination (and plenty of hestitation) I finally gave in and started Strider Returns for the Mega Drive and Master System. Krusty sums the games up best:

wnhIhk0UI3f1T1JcL-nJZl7A1Js=.gif

Seriously, this is the worst Capcom related game I think I've ever played (and I've played a whole ton of them). First off, the Mega Drive version:

The controls are utter garbage. Feels like there is a ton of input lag and over animation when you do anything. And the game feels like it runs in slow motion, so it basically feels like you have no control over Hiryu. So that's already basically ruined the game. But wait, it gets worse...

The level design is garbage and utterly forgetful. The mini bosses are bloody annoying, every last one of them... remember guys like Solo, the mecha Gorilla etc. from the first Strider? You won't find anything like them here, even when some returning faces like Solo, Grandmaster and that weird gravity device show up again they all feel woefully inferior to the original game. Its rather insulting the game is called Strider "2". Thankfully Capcom retcon this piece of shit out of existence when the game finally gets a real sequel years later. Anyway, back to the game... Graphically its ok I guess. Unremarkable but inoffensive. Music is mediocre with nothing standing out. The only thing I can praise is the voice samples between levels - those are really impressive - unlike other games (include Capcom's own Street Fighter 2 ports) these voices are insanely clear and crisp. Thankfully the game is pretty short, so at least you don't have to suffer for too long. Though its worth noting the Grandmaster final boss is just the second level boss made slightly harder. Which somehow fits perfectly in this game, nothing like lowing expectations further! Oh, and many later levels are pretty big and mazelike, but completely unfun to explore, unlike the linear but insanely well designed levels from the first arcade game. Oh, and I gotta mention these hideous lazer beam things you have to dodge in stage 2 a ton. They are incredibly slow, and push you back if you get hit. Good luck not smashing the cart trying to get by them!

Now the Master System version. It follows the MD version mainly but strips everything back as the MS can't handle the MD game as is. Less enemies are on screen at once, levels are mercifully smaller (bar 3 and 5 which are still pretty mazelike). Remember when I mentioned the iconic bosses from Strider 1 above? They are all completely absent here bar the gravity device thingy. Yes, even though the Grandmaster taunts you between each stage you never fight him. So who do you fight? The first two levels you fight some sort of helicopter boss (and you though DMC2's 'copter sucked), level 3 you fight a Military garbed T Rex with a rifle and sunglasses (at least I think that's what that thing was), level 4 is a giant wasp and the final boss is some dude in a trenchcoat (I'm really not making this up!)
Hilariously enough the controls feel better than the MD one. They still suck, but suck less than its big brother. The lazer beams are way faster now so are much less annoying. Interestingly, due to the restrictions of the controls, your main stationary attack is shurikens, not your Cypher, as you have to be moving, jumping or climbing and attack to use it. Your Cypher is also hilariously overpowered, you can run into bosses spamming it and win (for example, the third boss). Oh, and when your climbing walls, if you jump from one side to another, any enemies attached to the walls will blow up for some reason. Who knows.

So yeah, its awful. I'm not touching the Game Gear version (despite owning it) as I imagine it'll be a worse version of the MS game on a smaller, squished screen. I shudder to think what the computer ports were like (I only touch the console ports).

Its not all fun yet though, next up is the hilariously bad PC version of Mega Man produced by Hitech.

And with this, its interesting to look back on Inafune's plan to farm out their games to foreign studios a few years back. This of course almost completely failed as almost all the games sucked (I'll stick up for Grin because I personally loved their take on Bionic Commando). This approach was basically what Capcom did in the late 80's/early 90's with US Gold, Hitech and other studios letting them make licensed games/sequels to their properties (US Gold almost produced a licensed sequel to Street Fighter, but Capcom saw sense and put a stop to that!)
Thankfully Capcom seems to be back on top producing some fantastic games and have several other awesome looking games on the horizon. Can't wait for Mega Man 11 this Fall :)

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, yeah, the Basara fest came and went. No new game announcement, just VA fluff, cheap goodies, and the new school anime thing.
The future looks grim.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing :( With Capcom confirming (or in X's case, hinting at) sequels to many games I'd have hoped for another Basara game. At this point I should really check on which ones I'm short to fill in my collection gaps.

Anyway, spent more time playing through some more Capcom games this week:

Gargoyles Quest:
Firebrand (one of those little Red Arimer bastard) stars in this Ghosts n Goblins spin off, and it might actually be better than the series its based on (well, its damn close). Its an action game with an overworld and random battles like an RPG, but all the action is side scrolling action/platforming like GnG. The game is straight forward, speak to the leaders at several of the towns to forward the story and sometimes get new powers to reach previously unreachable areas. Firebrand has a nice hover move that improves greatly the more you play and the level design continues to improve as he does, by the end of the game they have some pretty awesome levels to traverse. Bosses are actually the easy part of the game, with none of them being all that hard at all!

Its one of my favourite Gameboy games, and I can't wait to get to its two sequels pretty soon. It controls great, looks great and the difficulty curve is just right. Another Capcom hit.

Street Fighter 2010:
The best way to describe this (unoriginally):
wnhIhk0UI3f1T1JcL-nJZl7A1Js=.gif

Yeah, its... well its very odd. You play as Kevin (or in the English version, Ken) who travels from planet to planet for some reason (I wasn't really paying attention, I'll guess its revenge) and you fight robots and aliens and the controller along the way. Don't worry, your cyborg enhancements help you out, unless you want to hit an enemy that's crawling its way toward you, then your basically screwed.
You can shoot straight ahead but enemies rarely come into your line of fire (or if they do, your about to get hit), and the rest of your moves are slow and unreliable - your crouching attack (which actually has you kicking up into the air) is useful and powerful, but so damn slow to use, and jump attacks are again slow and if you miss you have to wait until you land before attacking again. Enemies come in at weird angles at you, which makes fighting them harder than you'd think, and some of the bosses are rage inducing by design.
Graphically the game gravitates from fairly nice for an NES game to a complete clusterfuck of the senses, with it being almost impossible to pick out just what is happening on screen. The last level has you do a boss rush against several bosses, no checkpoint and very sparse power ups, until you figure out how to cheap it, it feels damn annoying.

Yeah, I didn't enjoy it, it could have been great with better controls, but as it stands its the second worst handling Street Fighter game (1 is still worse for me!). Speaking of which, I'd love to know why the Street Fighter name was used for this one, its so damn random especially as this game was made in 1990 so development on Street Fighter 2 must have been pretty far along by that point.

Anyway, onto Super Pang next.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, had some fun with a few Capcom releases over the last couple of days.

First up was Mega Man Unlimited. Its a fan game, but an actually well designed fan game. All new robot master designs, awesome new stages, backgrounds, enemy sprites and a decent soundtrack. Its the kind of thing Capcom could release officially and I'd be all over, I'm not usually a fan of MM fan games/hacks as they border on the cheap/terrible level design instead of doing something genuinely fun but this one is different. Not to say its not hard though, it is. I can walk through most Mega Man games no problem, this one had me stumped a couple of times as I learned the levels/bosses. Its actually nice to be challenged by a MM game for once, can't remember the last time that happened! I especially love the boss designs/patterns on this one, they are cleverly done and genuinely fun to learn. Oh, and if your crazy you can find the four "YOKU" letters in select stages and face off against Yoku Man's stage - probably the toughest stage of any MM game I've played through (hint, its a puzzle level with disappearing blocks!)
Definitely look this one up if your a fan of the series and want to try something different. Its definitely a top 3-5 MM game for me, and I still have the Wily stages to go.

Super Pang:
So its sequel time, with Super Pang being very similar in concept to its prequel - travel the world, fight things to burst into smaller things, repeat. It feels less like a sequel and more like an expansion pack of levels for the original game to be honest. Not that I mean that in a bad way, its still addictive and fun, just not particularly original. You get a couple of different designs in terms of enemies (ones that have slightly different bounce patterns) but that's it. The game is also harder than the first one - from the get go it feels harder - again making it feel like the second half of the original Pang picking up where it left off difficulty wise. Some of the level designs are quite tricky/clever as they are more than just popping balloons (or whatever the hell those things are), you have to either use the helper characters that appear in stages or maneuver your way to the right spot. Actually feels like Bubble Bobble at times with these lite puzzles.
But really, nothing could prepare me for the last stage of the game in this. Its bloody hard, must have continued several times to nail it down, its just the ultimate challenge when it comes to Pang especially if your like me and not the greatest person at this game! Its still fun, just a bit frustrating and unoriginal at times. Still worth your time though.

Now the game also gets a Snes port. The bad? No two player mode for some reason (guess it was an early release like FF or Magic Sword?). The good news? Tweakable difficulty that changes stage 40 (the final stage). So the game is easier. I think the game also runs a hair slower as well, so its easier to take out the enemies, I definitely didn't find it as hard as the arcade version. Then again, its not a direct 1:1 port of the arcade game - I spotted several new stages in both easy and normal difficulties that do not appear in the arcade game, which in turn eliminates some of the stages I disliked more in the arcade game (so I can't really complain there), also worth noting that normal difficulty loses some stages from easy mode, replaced with different stages (no idea if the same can be said for Hard/Extreme modes yet) - England for example gets different first stages on either difficulty, and the third stage is definitely completely different to its arcade counterpart which I remember having issues with.
Also different between difficulties are certain enemies only appear on normal difficulty, as does the ice stage hazard (not in easy mode at all), also interesting about ice is that you can get snow boots in the console port so you don't slide around, I never found these in the arcade version.

So in terms of which I prefer, I personally like the console port more - balanced difficulty, more fair stage design and it changes from difficulty to difficulty offering replay value.

Now onto Rescue Rangers and Mega Man 3 :)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am so psyched to play those beat'em-ups X3
Curious we're not getting Tenchi wo Kurau 1 (Dynasty Wars) though

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Good point, pity Dynasty Wars was skipped as I really enjoyed that as well. Maybe they can do another compilation in the future with it on, not like they don't still have plenty to port. I saw Warzard mentioned a few times in the other thread, and while its a 1 on 1 fighter, not a brawler I'd definitely love to see it ported to home consoles one day.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, forgot I typed that. Between this and asking for a Yakuza spinoff detective game in the past (which they announced this week as "Judges Eyes") I've been on fire recently with predictions. Feels good to have Capcom back on top form, and if they do announce something Phoenix Wright related at TGS (seems fairly likely) I'll be over the moon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So its been a while since I managed to focus on my Capcom Collection, well sorta. Been mainly playing Street Fighter V and Mega Man 11 (both of which I've been loving) but I managed to play through King of Dragons this past week on the Super Famicom. Seems like a fairly decent port, graphically its not quite as good as the arcade version but its still fairly accurate, likewise the gameplay feels really solid and bar some odd missing bits here and there (the dragons on the Black Knight boss fight are the most glaring omission that make things way easier). Thanks to the arcade collection released last month I've been playing the arcade version loads to and got most bosses down really well. Definitely one of my favourite lesser appreciated Capcom games. Well, until I played Ide Yosuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong II.

Its a Mahjong game, as the title implies. I happen to like Mahjong thanks to spending an unhealthy amount of time playing it in the Yakuza series over the years, which also meant I picked up the rules along the way. The first of the Ide Yosuke games is pretty bare bones in terms of options (well, its a Mahjong game, it does what it says on the box). The sequel adds an RPG mode which basically has you travelling an overworld participating in loads of Mahjong challenges and battles. Obviously aside from the Japanese language, the game is also impenetrable if you can't play Mahjong but if you can, its not insanely difficult (well, most of the time). The only gripe I have with it is that it makes the AI pretty darn evil once you pass the 6th (of 10) areas. I guess they couldn't figure out how to make a Mahjong game with an incremental challenge without the AI becoming super great/lucky. Still, you can equip items to make you more lucky as well, I'm at the final "boss" now, hoping to have the game finished this week. Oh, and it comes with this controller which I kinda like (you can use a standard Famicom pad to navigate the overworld though):

s-l1600.jpg

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That controller's awesome. I wonder if it works for any other games? I have the Capcom vs. Psikyo Mahjong game for Dreamcast but have yet to play it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That controller's awesome. I wonder if it works for any other games? I have the Capcom vs. Psikyo Mahjong game for Dreamcast but have yet to play it.
I can't imagine it would work, it plugs into a different slot on the Famicom (not the controller port) but I'll give Mega Man 2 a try with it just for a laugh! I do have the Capcom/Psikyo Mahjong game to play as well, quite looking forward to it as well. But I think this Mahjong game I'm playing at the moment is probably my favourite, unless that one also has an RPG mode for me to dip into.

Looking through my shelving for my collection and I see I've managed to make some more space for a couple of Mega Drive games. So I guess the next 3 Capcom games I go after are Mickey's Magical Quest 2 (which got a MD port for some reason, the only one of the 3 that did), Muscle Bomber, and the most expensive Capcom game I'm away of that I'm short of at the moment - The Punisher.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on a Final Fight kick since the beat 'em up collection came out, and just got around to downloading the GBA version on the Wii U. First impressions are... what the hell? This port is awful. The internet talks about it like it's a decent port. Enemies don't come out of doors, the screen is truncated even further making, the AI is cranked way up, it has the crappy Poison palette swaps, the cutscenes they spliced in aren't smoothly cut to and can interrupt mid-attack... The music sounds pretty decent for the GBA at least.

So far I've also played Double Impact and the recent release in the collection. They both feel subtly different but I can't really put my finger on it. The Double Impact has some great filter options. Wish there was a way to turn off the stupid achievement things.

Anyone know if there's any reason to play the Sega CD version other than the soundtrack?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
These days? The Mega CD version can't really compete with the last two ports (PS3/360 and current gen) in terms of amount of enemies on screen. Also colour/graphics wise its not quite as good. So basically your getting it for the amazing soundtrack (though Double Impact has a damn good one as well) and the exclusive survival mode. Oh, and the challenge of trying to finish it in the limited number of continues you get, which is pretty darn hard let me tell you!

The GBA version though I quite liked in some ways, though not the music. Cranking up the difficulty gets the number of on screen enemies closer to the arcade version, and playing the Japanese version means I avoid stuff like Poison's gender swap and Damnd/Sodom name changes. Plus I liked the SFA Guy and Cody getting in - SFA Cody + Max difficulty was a pretty fun ride I thought but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, managed to get round to finishing Yosuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong II yesterday evening. I'd say that was the most heart pounding, epic Mahjong battle I've ever done in any game so far. All round I really enjoyed the game for what it was. Granted, if you don't like Mahjong this won't change your mind any but I do so I really enjoyed the added structure to the game over other Mahjong games I've played. A real hidden Capcom gem.

Looking at my list of upcoming games, I've got a nice range of stuff - Knights of the Round (quite enjoyed that the last time I played it), Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for the Gameboy (no idea what that plays like) and Rockman 4 for the Famicom (finished it a ton of times, love it for Pharaoh and Skull Man alone!). Also got Captain Commando and Super GnG soon, can't wait :)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I dunno, I rather liked Final Fight One. There's not too many ways the SNES version of Final Fight could be salvaged, but One at least makes it interesting. SFA Guy and Cody are really just the cherry on top.

I definitely consider it one of the more thoughtful Capcom ports, in any case.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for the Gameboy (no idea what that plays like)
It's a top down adventure game! You can actually see a few of Goof Troop SNES' roots in the game design (Which makes sense given both are Mikami joints)

Oct 29, 2017
NL
So I went ahead and bought the DMC collection on Xbox even though Im not a big fan of the original series. Played 1 and 3 on the PS2 but never finished them. Didnt like 4 too but with DMC5 on the horizon I thought Id give them another try. Starting up 1 I was like, that tune, da hell? That sounds so familiar. The Stranger song from RE4! Mind blown

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's a top down adventure game! You can actually see a few of Goof Troop SNES' roots in the game design (Which makes sense given both are Mikami joints)

Its not too bad either. Honestly, once you get out of the first two acts it gets better. The first level (even though its insanely short) kinda sucks as the collision detection mixed with the depth perception of judging when attacks will hit you was really difficult for me to get my head round. Its pretty short and simple, and definitely not the greatest game by Capcom (or Mikami for that matter) that I've ever played but I did enjoy it all the same.

And looking at today's news, I'll be buying RE4 yet again as having a portable Switch version (with Mercs mode!) is just something I can't pass up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Some nice Capcom goodies that arrived over the last couple of weeks:
s-l1600.jpg

image by gouki16uk, on Flickr
image by gouki16uk, on Flickr

The DC games are pretty rare these days (well, SF and Puzzle Fighter are) so I'm glad to finally have those. The Magical Quest games have been on my buy list for ages. Pity I couldn't get all Japanese versions but in the Snes collection case I already had an old PAL copy that I didn't want to replace (yet) and I couldn't find a Japanese GBA verison of 3 anywhere, and this Euro version is in wonderful condition.

Also, game wise I've got through two more Capcom games - Mega Man II (earsplitting Gameboy version) and Knights of the Round (arcade "where's my block button" version).

So MM2 is pretty much as I remember. Certainly not bad but definitely not as good as the rest. Level design is bad/lazy in parts with some bosses hilariously neutered (Wily, Quint and Wood Man especially). Music is terrible but I still can't bring myself to hate it. It still plays like a MM game, runs fairly well and isn't broken. A solid 6/10 if there ever were one.
KotR is great fun, but bastard hard at the same time. The Snes port gives you a block button, which in my opinion makes it far better because the number of times I've messed up the block command on the arcade version and turned around instead has racked up a nice body count :( I do appreciate the extra layer of complexity to the gameplay though, plus the moves list is pretty deep when you really experiment with it. Solid fun but I definitely prefer King of Dragons and D&D for my fantasy hack n slash fix from Capcom.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys crossposting:

i got this Capcom game in the mail today! i hope it's fun =)
JWheIogl.jpg

5gksWK8l.jpg

YEmj1aBh.jpg

qK1LRLeh.jpg

bIVcMPCh.jpg

bmfxeTJh.jpg

5syPIeBh.jpg

edit:
so far, it's a cool game, a combination of Golden Axe and Final Fight.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Consider dropping the difficulty in the beginning. Its a good game but enemies take so many hits to kill that it sometimes feels drawn out and overly difficult. Out of Capcom's brawlers I personally prefer Captain Commando or King of Dragons. It does look darn nice though, and the Saturn port is fantastic.

Speaking of Capcom games - I've been working through 1992's releases and today I played through Bionic Commando for the Gameboy. Not quite sure if its a port (of the NES game) or a brand new game entirely - as there are loads of bits in the game. Its fantastic, it definitely has an even bigger focus on platforming, as there are a few stages in the end game where it really tests your skills by doing some pretty tough swinging sections - the toughest of which is the end area of the final level which has you swinging over a pit, dodging rocket boosters and the like. Definitely give it a try if you love the NES BC game.

Next up, Darkwing Duck and Mega Man III :)

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Got to play through Forgotten Worlds on an original cab recently. That game is so good. The last boss is bullshit though. Was interesting to finally play it with the weird click wheel thing it was designed around- definitely harder than playing with dual analogs or the side switch on Genesis. Am I alone in wanting this resurrected in some modern incarnation? I mean they should do Rival Schools and Final Fight first, but eventually I'd love some crazy jetpack spacebro shooter from Capcom.

cISuLb4.jpg

It always seemed to me in the way that games like Final Fight, Streetfighter, Rival Schools, etc. share a universe, there should be a shared universe between games like Plasma Sword, Forgotten Worlds, and Strider. (Maybe even armored warriors? That one is a bit more grounded though).

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Forgotten worlds on ps2 capcom collection has twin stick control which makes playing it much eadier.
Itis a neat game and i wonder if capcom plan on releasing an other arcsde classic collection this year that isnbased on the older ps3 release.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to play through Forgotten Worlds on an original cab recently. That game is so good. The last boss is bullshit though. Was interesting to finally play it with the weird click wheel thing it was designed around- definitely harder than playing with dual analogs or the side switch on Genesis. Am I alone in wanting this resurrected in some modern incarnation? I mean they should do Rival Schools and Final Fight first, but eventually I'd love some crazy jetpack spacebro shooter from Capcom.

cISuLb4.jpg

It always seemed to me in the way that games like Final Fight, Streetfighter, Rival Schools, etc. share a universe, there should be a shared universe between games like Plasma Sword, Forgotten Worlds, and Strider. (Maybe even armored warriors? That one is a bit more grounded though).
I've been wanting Unknown Soldier P2 in a fighting game since MvC1. Not the generic blonde guy, the black guy with a mohawk. Look at him. He's fantastic.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really love Forgotten Worlds. I did a run through on all the main console versions a little while back and I remember loving the Mega Drive port. Its not 100% perfect (think its missing a couple of levels/enemies here and there) but it plays so well. Ditto the Master System and PC Engine Versions (I think the PC Engine version might be the most accurate one to the arcade?). At least Capcom were smart and included options in the console version to let you have auto fire enabled so you only focus on moving and aiming, in practice it worked extremely well. And its definitely a game that benefitted from the dual analogue aiming in the collection released on the PS2/Xbox. Its among a long list of Capcom arcade games I'd love to see resurrected in some way.

I've been wanting Unknown Soldier P2 in a fighting game since MvC1. Not the generic blonde guy, the black guy with a mohawk. Look at him. He's fantastic.
Pity Capcom chose to use the blonde dudes skin for SFV recently, and not the P2 character :(

i wonder if capcom plan on releasing an other arcsde classic collection this year that isnbased on the older ps3 release.

I hope so. I'd love a full arcade collection that has decent trophy support. The PS3 collection was fairly great as it has a nice wide range of options, but was fairly limited in its games line up. If another collection were done I'd hope we'd also get stuff that is ignored like Warzard or L.E.D Storm (both the finished Beta and full game - they are rather different and both great in their own way). They've got an enormous backlog of stuff I'd love to have on Switch or PS4... On the bright side, I don't see them not doing another collection this year. I see something like 19XX, GnG, or another Mega Man collection not unlikely. I'd love another unlikely release like the beat em up collection - I put so many hours into that so far and I've still got a few games to get back to on it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
We need a GnG collection just so someone could make a charity marathon of top Dark Souls players trying their best to beat it and the frustration that follows :V

EDIT: Said collection should have
Makaimura arcade 1 and 2
NES & SNES Makaimura games
Demon's Crest
That updated PSP ver. of the game

Those games at least should be doable for $30 IMO.

Bonus: Include the MD ver. with the unfair(?) hitbox

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Been listening to the Forgitten Worlds OST lately as well, it's surprisingly good. Speaking of which, as good as Capcom's output of games has been lately, I've been pretty dissspointed in the OST department. MM11s is kind of boring and just doesn't feel like Rockman, MHW is ok but not necessarily a standout, SFV is a mix of good and absolute crap, RE2 is good but very sparse. I wonder what's going on with their compositions?

i wish they made that forgotten worlds 360 rotary joystick in the arcades for home console.
I'd definitely be tempted to buy one if they did. Seems like a good candidate for a kickstarter project?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom music wise for me...

SFV is my favourite, there's lots of remixes and new tracks I really love. Though it might just be me but some of the season 2/3 themes feel way too samey in being super quiet in the beginning - Juri (which is a terrible version of her theme to boot), G, Cody and Falke all feel like they all have similar quiet/slow buildups before their themes really get going - and in Falke and Juri's case they never really get going at all. Then you have Kage's theme which is just badass, I love that theme.

MM11 is ok when I'm playing. I find myself humming along to it and really liked Acid Man's theme but its definitely the weakest of the series OSTs no doubt.

MHW I did actually enjoy the music to when your fighting. Kicked in and felt suitably epic when you take down some of the larger monsters. Can't really comment how that stacks up to previous games though as World is the first I really put much effort into.

RE2... I don't really remember despite playing it most recent. Definitely prefer the original game in music department.

That said, I must have listened to the main fight themes in DMC5 hundreds of times so far, I have a feeling I'm going to love that OST.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that their recent OSTs are bad or anything, but they're not the instant classics of yesteryear. DMC music usually isn't my scene, but I actually really like the 4 soundtrack so maybe 5's will do it for me, though it seems to be more focused on the metal aspect which doesn't appeal to me as much.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I was agreeing with you, I just ended up going off on a tangent as always! As really SFV and parts of Mon Hun are the only two I really remember from their recently released games, and in SFV's case there's still several themes I dislike.
I hope if X9 gets made they go for a really rock vibe to the music, as classic X soundtracks for me (the early ones) always had a really rock influenced soundtrack, its one of the reasons I love the original X so damn much.

Anyway, this is on top enough, but got a couple of new arrivals for my Capcom collection:

Shin Onimusha (Dawn of Dreams over here) which I grabbed because the English version is poorly balanced in a few aspects (difficulty etc.) making the Japanese one the "better" version, and it has native English language support which is awesome. Also, for my never ending Mega Man collection, I found that there was a sequel to Rockmen R - imaginatively titled Rockmen R2 - they are doujin PC releases and I actually rather enjoyed the first one (especially the soundtrack), level design was a tad rough in places but mainly pretty fun, so I had to track a physical release of this one down. Looking forward to trying it out (I see while you get 8 new bosses, Guts Man is also back yet again!)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oh wow Rockmen R is something I ought track down haha.

OK so this is prob. gonna blow your mind; back in the 90s Capcom and Toei collaborated on a toku series called Guyferd, which got a game released on both Saturn and Playstation!

From the looks of it, there was barely any budget put into it and looks quite dull (how you gonna make a game based on a toku series and NOT make it at least a beat em up?!). While at first it appears as if nothing of value would've been lost to ignore this game...it is still part of Capcom's history :P

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I have had that game on my eBay watch list for a while. Gameplay is not really up my alley, but I'll probably grab it for the collection eventually. I kinda hoped for a cheap action game :(

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
That Rockmen R2 game is available digitally over at DLsite (it's NSFW so look it up on your own), but only in their Jp site. I wonder if their JP site accepts paypal as I wouldn't mind owning it digitally XO

Alt., I wonder if it could get released on itch.io?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... not sure Paypal works on DLsite due to some of the... content you can buy there. I grabbed mine off of Yahoo Japan Auctions (got real lucky and found a cheap auction that was ending in just a couple of minutes with no bids).

I've still not actually played the game though. I've been playing around on RE2 REmake and the Street Fighter 2 Mega Drive ports - Championship Edition and Super SF2. CE is still one of my favourite games released for the MD, I have fond memories playing the team mode on that back in the day. Turbo mode is great fun as well since it gets insanely fast and super fun. Port bar the sound is ace. Music isn't awful but speech is.

Super SF2 content wise seems to have more modes and of course more characters, and plays great which is good news. However sound is awful, especially the music which has little resemblance to the OST.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of new arrivals:

Fate/Tiger Colosseum and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

Fate is a simple arena based fighter with a pretty bad camera/lock on system. It plays ok otherwise, I'd have preferred a decent 2D/3D fighting game instead though with the Fate characters. Not tried Puzzle Fighter yet but I hear its a bad port :( But its another for the collection so I had to get it! If anyone wants the definitive version of Pocket Fighter though, you gotta get the Dreamcast version which adds 2-3 brand new rulesets to the game, so you basically get several games for the price of one. Its fantastic.

Anyway, one more Capcom game cleared today - Mickey's Magical Quest 1 for the Snes. Its your standard platformer with some cool powers/transformations. I also quite liked the soundtrack to this one as it sounded very Super GnG in places. Otherwise its easier than I remember (and it wasn't exactly super hard to begin with) There's a couple of little tricky bits here and there but your powers make you pretty powerful and bosses are for the most part fairly straight forward in patterns, so I never struggled. The final world gets a little harder and more open ended as you have to navigate a few larger areas but its still fairly easy compared to Mega Man or GnG. The final boss I found easier than before as well, I remember the fight taking me ages last time I played the game, but I beat him super quick this time - I assume I wasn't using the charge attack for the lamp transformation, as that made Pete go down like a chump.

All round a nice fun game, going to give the GBA port a try next, but I definitely feel Duck Tales is still the gold standard in terms of Capcom/Disney games. Just so damn good.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of new arrivals:

Fate/Tiger Colosseum and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

Fate is a simple arena based fighter with a pretty bad camera/lock on system. It plays ok otherwise, I'd have preferred a decent 2D/3D fighting game instead though with the Fate characters. Not tried Puzzle Fighter yet but I hear its a bad port :( But its another for the collection so I had to get it! If anyone wants the definitive version of Pocket Fighter though, you gotta get the Dreamcast version which adds 2-3 brand new rulesets to the game, so you basically get several games for the price of one. Its fantastic.

Anyway, one more Capcom game cleared today - Mickey's Magical Quest 1 for the Snes. Its your standard platformer with some cool powers/transformations. I also quite liked the soundtrack to this one as it sounded very Super GnG in places. Otherwise its easier than I remember (and it wasn't exactly super hard to begin with) There's a couple of little tricky bits here and there but your powers make you pretty powerful and bosses are for the most part fairly straight forward in patterns, so I never struggled. The final world gets a little harder and more open ended as you have to navigate a few larger areas but its still fairly easy compared to Mega Man or GnG. The final boss I found easier than before as well, I remember the fight taking me ages last time I played the game, but I beat him super quick this time - I assume I wasn't using the charge attack for the lamp transformation, as that made Pete go down like a chump.

All round a nice fun game, going to give the GBA port a try next, but I definitely feel Duck Tales is still the gold standard in terms of Capcom/Disney games. Just so damn good.
puzzle fighter cover looks cool!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Power Stone, such a great series, 2 especially was so damn fun in multiplayer for me, the madness with 4 players and ever changing arenas. It doesn't even need a sequel, just a port to current gen consoles with online play would be enough (but hey, I'd take a sequel!)

Meanwhile, I've managed to get some new Capcom stuff:
The new:

The old:

And still got a couple more coming at some point hopefully this month.

As for actually playing the games, this weekend I've been working on Gargoyles Quest 2 for the Gameboy and Famicom. Basically its more of the same if you've played the first game (explore overworld and talk to demons to open new areas, all combat is side scrolling action starring badass demon flying guy Firebrand).
Its excellent, feels more refined than the first game and in the GB's case, feels easier as well once you upgrade Firebrand a bit. Bosses are fairly simple and really the only issue I found with the game is that it was a bit too zoomed in at times, never hurting the difficulty, but made me play more cautious.

Now the Famicom version is still excellent, but difficulty wise its higher than the GB version no doubt - damage output for certain enemies is higher (2-3 hearts) so you have to be more careful, this goes for bosses especially which are faster and more aggressive - this actually changes the feel of the game quite a bit - especially when your fighting the doppelganger boss who in the GB version never actually transformed into Firebrand like its supposed to, he's way more dangerous in this version. Ditto the final boss, he takes off 3? hearts per hit, but thankfully he's fairly easy to avoid so if your careful he isn't too much of a problem. All round an excellent game, can't wait to get onto Demons Crest when I get to it. Next up is Warriors of Fate 2.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone that didn't play it

I'm here to remind you that Mega Man 11 is awesome.

And also, a while ago Capcom uploaded a bunch of their albums to Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/artist/3w1Q754jb31h5CXQCcnLNL

It really is a great entry. The longer it's been since release, the more I've appreciated it. All of the robot masters are great, the levels are great, the visual style is more than adequate, the weapons are great... it's not my #1 game in the series, but it puts in a very good showing.

I've been going down the rabbit hole of exploring Capcom soundtracks since they got back on spotify. Some great gidden soundtracks out there, like Tech Romancer EX Troopers, Jojo PS2, Warzard &c. Whole lotta awful midi buttrock too though.

Ah Power Stone, such a great series, 2 especially was so damn fun in multiplayer for me, the madness with 4 players and ever changing arenas. It doesn't even need a sequel, just a port to current gen consoles with online play would be enough (but hey, I'd take a sequel!)

Meanwhile, I've managed to get some new Capcom stuff:
The new:

The old:

And still got a couple more coming at some point hopefully this month.

As for actually playing the games, this weekend I've been working on Gargoyles Quest 2 for the Gameboy and Famicom. Basically its more of the same if you've played the first game (explore overworld and talk to demons to open new areas, all combat is side scrolling action starring badass demon flying guy Firebrand).
Its excellent, feels more refined than the first game and in the GB's case, feels easier as well once you upgrade Firebrand a bit. Bosses are fairly simple and really the only issue I found with the game is that it was a bit too zoomed in at times, never hurting the difficulty, but made me play more cautious.

Now the Famicom version is still excellent, but difficulty wise its higher than the GB version no doubt - damage output for certain enemies is higher (2-3 hearts) so you have to be more careful, this goes for bosses especially which are faster and more aggressive - this actually changes the feel of the game quite a bit - especially when your fighting the doppelganger boss who in the GB version never actually transformed into Firebrand like its supposed to, he's way more dangerous in this version. Ditto the final boss, he takes off 3? hearts per hit, but thankfully he's fairly easy to avoid so if your careful he isn't too much of a problem. All round an excellent game, can't wait to get onto Demons Crest when I get to it. Next up is Warriors of Fate 2.

Nice, didnt know SNSM had a Genesis release. Such an interesting game. Kind of shows an alternate path that 2D fighters could have travelled down, but ultimately the SF2 formula was just too popular.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, console wise Slam Masters (the first one) got Super Famicom and Mega Drive ports, I hear the SFC version is the better of the two, but I've not gotten round to playing either of them (or the arcade version yet), should be getting to them in a couple of weeks or so. Its a pity that even the full sequel switched to a 2D fighter like SF2, having a wrestling franchise under its belt would have given more variety to Capcom's fighting catalogue, since between SF2, Darkstalkers and Marvel it was solid on the 2D fighter front but oh well.

Anyway, more Capcom games completed this weekend - Quiz and Dragons and Warriors of Fate (2).
QoD I played on the Capcom Classic's 2 disc, as like many of these quiz games unless you know 90's pop culture and knowledge they are a pain in the ass to play with little to no redeeming value. QoD on Classics 2 has a mode more to my liking where it changes all the questions to be related to Capcom games so it makes it infinitely easier in that regard, makes it a pretty fun game as well. It focuses on a large variety of Capcom's back catalog and stops at around VJ2, Final Fight Streetwise and Onimusha Blade Warriors, so its got plenty of categories to pick from. Really the only big issue I had with the game were some of the questions being written in a very bizarre way, some have terrible spelling and grammar while others are incorrect - like one question asking which game DMC3 was made from (the answer is RE4, which is sort of incorrect as it was the original DMC that evolved from one of RE4's protos).
Then you have a question about who built the Arclay Mansion in RE1 - the answer the game accepts is Ozwald Spencer - again incorrect as while he was the one that wanted the mansion made, I think even helped design some of the rooms/puzzles/traps (the old man loved his puzzles) RE REmake reveals it was Lisa Trevors father (I believe) that actually built the mansion.

WoF I've actually played before, but was doing a run on the Switch version. I'd played the Saturn one before that, and had issues with some of the difficulty spikes and enemies taking forever to kill, but this version (easiest difficulty mind) felt like it had a better flow to the game, felt like I did more damage/enemies had less health (compared to Saturn 1* difficulty) and the whole thing just felt a bit more easy to deal with mobs and bosses. So I enjoyed it way more, but its still bottom of my Capcom brawlers list, with stuff like FF, Capcom Commando and King of Dragons being just way more fun to play. Weirdly, unless I missed it, there was no option to not fight the final boss in the English version of WoF on the Switch - there was an option on the Saturn version to not fight the last boss to get a different ending. Odd.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
So now that MM11, REmake 2, and DMCV all came out, I don't think Capcom has any unannounced games? Other than Iceborn, but that's just an expansion.

Wonder what they'll do next to follow up the amazing past year they've had? I'd be kind of bummed if they waited all the way until E3 to announce something, but wouldn't be totally surprised.