• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't think of anything else coming from Capcom at the moment. I have my hopes though:

Another RE game is for sure coming - 8, REmake 3, maybe even Revelations 3 all seem like solid bets. Just wonder when one/all will pop up. While a sequel to 7 would be amazing, I'm honestly really hoping we get REmake 3 sooner rather than later because I want Nemesis back already after loving how Mr X was done in 2.

Onimusha/Dino Crisis sequel/reboot - Oni I feel is kinda teased what with the remaster. DC I just kinda want because I feel with their engine now, a new DC game would be awesome. Or at least give me remasters of Oni 2-4 to go along with 1.

Mega Man X9 - the ports are doing well as of the last quarter so this seems more likely than unlikely. I hope we get an announcement this year. I assume we'd also get another MM port of some description, I think Battle Network Collection would be next, as there still seems to be plenty of fans for that sub series. And yeah, I'd love Legends 3 more than anything else but it still doesn't seem like something that'll happen any time soon.

Phoenix Wright 7 - I think this one was kinda confirmed to be in development? I forget. Hopefully we get some PW news this TGS as last year it was just the ports of 1-3. Maybe give us a physical release of 4-6 with English language support (I'd gladly import). I've love to see Investigations 2 and the two other spinoff games get translated but am not holding my breath on any of that.

Other ports - There's still so many ports I'd love to see. Excluding licensing nightmares, I'd be down for any ports/collections of games that haven't been ported before like what we got with Battle Circuit last year. Arcade perfect ports of LED Storm and its beta (ok, that's ultra niche), Warzard (Capcom is doing a promo event in SFV for a Leo Warzard costume at this very moment) etc.
And for stuff that's been on consoles before - Power Stone 1 and 2 with online play? Rival Schools complete collection completely translated (including the dating? modes this time), Tech Romancer, Cyberbots, Darkstalkers collection...

As for "never going to happen" stuff, I'd love to get a new Darkstalkers game. Or a new Marvel game but that one seems almost impossible after Infinite. Or just gimme a straight up Capcom Vs Capcom game. Or Tatsunoko Vs Capcom 2...

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine we see whatever they're teasing for Mega Man X soonish. I could see them wait the three months to say something at E3 about it though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's weird with smaller announcements. I actually see them announcing it later on in the year for some reason (I really have no basis for why, just a guy feeling). I think that and any potential port will be announced with less fan fare than their next big game, which will almost assuredly be at MS's conference at E3.

Anyway, been working more on my Capcom playthrough and played a couple more games - Mega Man 5 and SF2 Turbo (Hyper Fighting).

MM5 is another classic for me. I love the NES games and MM in general so there was no way I'd not enjoy playing this through yet again. It really is the easiest of the series though, the drop rate of items is hilariously broken, I can get 9 lives in Stone Man's stage with no effort or grinding at all. Charged buster, and boss patterns are pretty easy as well, not in a bad way, it just makes for a rather relaxing and fun experience. Music is top notch as well. Doesn't really do anything new or exciting, but still a solid entry.

SF2T is perhaps my favourite of the original SF2 series (its between that and Super Turbo probably). The speed boost certainly helps as does the new moves for several characters. Guile is still a pain though. Weirdly, I've been really enjoying using Vega super casually, never been a fan of Claw before but do quite like him. Interestingly, the Saturn port of SF2T is so-so in places - not quite sure why but it has some weird instances of frame drops, which is a real pity. I've ended up spending most time so far on the Switch version of all things. The Hori D Pad and playing it portable has made it rather convenient to just bash out a few rounds here and there. Almost time to start 1993's games which has stuff like Punisher, Muscle Bombers, Aladdin (among others) and one of Capcom's best games ever - Mega Man X. Can't wait.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Last of the Capcom games I ordered have arrived:

Both of the Phoenix Wright spinoffs, and the second Mickey's Magical Quest on Mega Drive (oddly 1 and 3 never saw a Sega port to my knowledge). I seem to be pretty much done with older collecting for Capcom now. I need a few PS2/Saturn etc. games but the cheaper ones which is nice! Now to get back to finishing them.

Speaking of which, I did put some time into the Gameboy port of SF2 this week. Its... not good. I'd love to know the frame rate this runs at, because its definitely not 60FPS. Or 30FPS for that matter, looks like its 15-20? Its insanely choppy to the point where its barely playable, and the controls and collision detection are not good either. This makes pulling off moves tougher than it should be for most characters, while Zangief basically feels like a completely wasted character - good luck ever pulling off his SPD. Its got 9-12 original characters (Vega, Dhalsim and Honda are missing, I'd have traded Gief for Honda since I see Dhalsim basically being impossible to beat in this game) and moves wise it takes its cues from Super SF2 (Ryu/Ken have their Red fireball/flaming DP for example). Other than that I guess it looks ok graphically? But the lack of animation and fluidity kills the game, and hilariously enough all the BG's rather than having static NPC's just remove them completely, making it look like your fighting at night in deserted stages!
Only really good praise I can give the game is the music, its fantastic for a GB game and has some great remixes of the classic tunes. A very rocky start to handheld exclusive SF games, thankfully Crawfish appear and port Alpha 1 and 3 in the future to amazing effect, but it'll be a while before I get to those.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its a bizarre little game as its the only one of the three to ever see a MD port. No idea if its a good port or not, I'll find out soon when I play it along with the SFC and GBA versions.

Also, Capcom news wise its nice to see DMC5 is off to a good start sales wise. I'm almost done with my first playthrough (would have been done already but S ranking a few of the stages has been pretty darn tough!) and its definitely my favourite in the series at the moment. Its really damn good.

And Capcom continues to give Warzard/Red Earth a nod in Street Fighter 5 - with another crossover costume (Kenji this time for Zeku, this is after the Leo/Alex costume). Probably a coincidence but Capcom did port Battle Circuit last year for the first time ever (its an equally obscure game). Makes me wonder if we are maybe going to get another arcade port/collection this year. Its definitely top of my wants list ports wise (well, mainly because Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is in license limbo at the moment so its never getting ported, and I already own actual PCBS of Punisher and AVP).

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorta capcom related:

i picked up Area 88 OVA's today =)
GvQpA4el.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its a real pity the second Area 88 game never got a home release, its a fun shoot em up. Speaking of which, I liked how the Super Famicom port of Area 88 wasn't a direct arcade port and had a few flourishes to set it apart - mission select and new stages. Arcade version is still better I feel.

Game wise I've been playing the Snes port of SF2 Turbo some more. Its probably my favourite of the versions on the Snes, the added speed just makes it feel more fun to play, Super feels so slow and bad by comparison. I mean, its technically dated now that we basically have arcade perfect ports of the SF games on Switch etc. but I still love revisiting these ports, I remember wanting Turbo so much back in the day but never getting it :( Next up is The Punisher and Caddilacs and Dinosaurs. Cannot wait to finally play all through C&D, been looking forward to this one for a while. Also looking forward to replaying Punisher and comparing it to the MD port.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Arrivals wise this past week or so I finally got the Street Fighter 2 Movie game. No, not that one. Its basically scenes of the animated movie interspersed with some basic SF2 esque fights where you train one of Bison's bots to be able to defeat Ryu.

Games wise, I've been playing a few of Capcom's '93ish releases:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs: This turned out to be one of Capcom's most fun brawlers, which makes it a crying shame that its probably one of the more complicated games to port due to the licensing being split between the comic creator and the car maker :(
Basically its another Final Fight style brawler, but now you get to punch a Triceratops in the face. Very few games can boast that feature ;) Combat wise its also very solid with each character getting a small, yet incredibly useful moves list. You mostly fight human enemies but there are a few dinos you get to fight along the way, as well as some more bizarre mutant creatures when you get further in the game. Weapons wise you get a few different melee weapons and guns, the usual selection.
What I loved about the game is the combination of the fast pace and the combat. They gel together so well that the game just feels like an utter joy to play. I've not replayed Battle Circuit or Armoured Warriors yet but as it stands I'd probably put C&D right near the top of my favourite brawlers list, especially ones done by Capcom as I enjoyed it that much! Only real minus point is that the Cadillac really doesn't do much outside of one level!

The Punisher (Arcade). So yeah, C&D rocks, but this game is even better still in my opinion. I'd put it right at the top of my brawler favourites list because:
I'm a fan of the Punisher, I love Capcom brawlers, its got a nice big moves list, great levels/bosses, excellent action.
At heart its another brawler, but what Punisher does so well is giving you a nice versatile moves list to play with - you have your standard combos, and moves that combo into throws, and some special moves on top of that. Plus you got special moves like Punishers Izuna Drop (time just right for a really powerful version) and for some reason, the sonic kick in the Japanese release sets people on fire.
Couple this with the super fast pace of the action and you got yourself a damn good game. Boss wise is the only weak point as the game reuses this robot boss for boss 2 and 5. Neither of which are particularly interesting fights - but hey you also throw down against Bushwhacker, Bone Breaker (wasn't he an X-men villain?) and the Kingpin himself (oh, and if you pay attention on the final stage, there is one single enemy that appears in the elevator named Jigsaw!)

Graphically it looks ace, the mix of melee and some quick shooting sections is cool, and the bosses are fairly hectic without feeling cheap or unfair. Now this one I guess could be licensed if Capcom go to Disney, but that seems unlikely after the whole Infinite thing, but hey I can dream? It did get a port though...

Punisher (Mega Drive). <shakes head> Not quite sure what happened here, the MD has some nice brawlers with great graphics (SOR2 and Turtles spring to mind) but Punisher is cut down pretty hard. Some differences I noticed:
First off, graphically its nowhere near as good as the arcade version, to be expected really.

Worse though, Punishers whole moves list doesn't make the cut. Some moves (like the combo to throw cancels and the "swing enemies by their feet special) are gone so the game is not as fun to play, coupled with...

Incredible slowdown when many enemies are on screen. So most of the time only a small number (3ish) of enemies are on screen at once because many more and the game slows down. Worse still, when that happens the controls basically stop responding and the game becomes a nightmare to play.

Music sucks. I wasn't a huge fan of the soundtrack to begin with and they make it way worse here.

Difficulty is also pretty uneven due to the issues with the on screen enemy count. The arcade game was balanced pretty well on default difficulties but this one here feels slow and nott all that fun to play. Most bosses are way easier now (at least on normal) because they don't have goons to back them up.

Jigsaw is no longer a unique enemy - he appears several times basically as a normal enemy grunt in a couple of levels. Which kinda ruins his appearance. Also, many enemy recolours are completely absent while the name changes remain (Pretty Boy/Cyborg), and speaking of Pretty Boy, he used to drop a small health power up but now he doesn't. Which sucks in a couple of later stages when difficulty actually picks up. The small health item is still in the game, but its hidden in barrels that roll on/off screen, and now instead of giving you a small health boost, you get all your health back. Just a weird thing to change seeing as the ninja women still drop the rings that give you points.

Continue screen is gone. Yeah, this is a small thing, but I loved that continue screen with Microchip giving Frank CPR.

But really, the one thing I take the most offence to changing is the final boss:
So originally Kingpin would get a few goons and they'd all attack you at once. Its a pretty tough fight but a fun end to the game. But as mentioned before, bosses + smaller enemies at once don't mix. So instead they make the boss an incredibly tedious slog - you fight seemingly endless waves of goons and then briefly fight Kingpin until you damage him to a certain point, then repeat. Its basically no fun as they have far too many waves in the fight, and most attacks on Kingpin deal so little damage that you really feel the difficulty spike. Grab attacks seem pretty good to deal half decent damage, so use those and just prey you don't run out of the couple of continues you get, as restarting the game is not a prospect you want!

So yeah, bad port.

I've also been playing a little bit of Super SF2, which is my least favourite of the SF2 games as Super Turbo is basically the same basic game only infinitely better/improved. Its nice to play it on the Switch though, I'll give it that.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought: you know how Side Arms, Section Z and Forgotten Worlds are the "Jet Pack Hero Trilogy"? Was just thinking about other thematic trilogies, and Monster Hunter, Lost Planet and Dragons Dogma are basically the "Giant Monster Killer" trilogy.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Dark Void wasn't a bad game... I liked the action in it with the jet pack, and some of the other set pieces were at least functional/good. It just suffered from a generic character (Nolan North is Nate Drake is whoever the fuck the protagonist was) and I assume the game was pushed out of the door? The game feels like its missing the middle third of the game - it has a late game twist that feels like it should have been developed way more, like a shit ton of plot was just torn out and not patched over very well.

Anyway, been playing loads more Capcom games recently, won't go too in depth on them else I'll be here all day. Most impressive game I played was the Wonderswan port of Pocket Fighter - I was expecting it to be far more compromised of a port than what it was. Looks and plays really solid and the frame rate is super smooth. Only issue is the controls for inputting super moves.

Games I finished most recently:
Aladdin (Snes/GBA) - excellent platformer that feels way better to play than the unrelated MD version. Platforming feels really fluid and level design is ace. GBA port loses points because of the reduced FOV making some levels a real pain in the ass to play, definitely one to play on a home console instead, its also missing the original soundtrack which I guess is licensing reasons? Doesn't sound anywhere as good without the movies original songs.

ECO Fighters - A really cool Capcom shoot em up game (and one that uses the same rotation gimmick that Forgotten Worlds uses). Only thing that stopped me from enjoying later levels is some of the bosses are huge but give you very little space to dodge their fast and difficult attacks, made a few later bosses more annoying than fun in my opinion.

Super SF2 - Bah. WTF happened here Capcom? The SFC and arcade ports (via Switch) just feel slow to play. SFC has fucking terrible music/SFX as well, its such a huge step down from SF2 Turbo. Might be a placebo effect but the Saturn version feels faster, either way it definitely feels like the most fun version to play, and at least on the Saturn you also get SSF2 Turbo to play instead! (without the evil AI from the recent collections)

Muscle Bomber - Special shoutout to this game, I'm not a wrestling fan but I love this game. It has its quirks (breaking out of pins in the SFC version feels impossible) but I love the characters and gameplay so damn much. Its a crying shame that the only true sequel is a 2D fighter and not a wrestling game. Fun fact the re-release in the arcades of MB which focuses on the awesome 4 player team mode changes the controls to make grab its own button, this makes the game even better as I always had issues with Forward+attack for grab. Really wish we could have gotten a full blown sequel with these controls.

Now I have MM6, D&D, Mighty Final Fight and MMX to play. Which is a pretty solid list!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot Eco Fighters had the knob controls. Makes me wonder how you're supposed to play it on the plug n play stick they're releasing. Speaking of which, still no info for that thing for anywhere outside of Europe. Seems like it might be in limbo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oops, I meant that Eco Fighers lets you rotate your aiming 360 degrees, not having the exact same stick set up as Forgotten Worlds - It uses a 3 button set up - 2 for aiming clockwise and counter clockwise, with the third button as the fire button. So Capcom's strange stick should do the same. I really wanted to get one, but the size and price with that few new games means I'll pass. I have all those games on original hardware bar 19XX, Pro Gear and Sports Club. I'm waiting for either a steep reduction in price or better yet, a port down the road.

Meanwhile, I've been playing more DMC5. SoS difficulty is the sweet spot for me, a nice jump in difficulty while not being too hard. Basically makes the game the best action game I've played in years. Loving it!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok that makes sense. I've only played the Classics Collection version which I think had dual analogues.

I found an original Forgotten Worlds cab earlier this year that had the dial controllers. It was really cool to finally play it the way it was originally intended, but honestly it was kind of a (literal) pain to turn them while holding down to shoot.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to check out the classics collection version, I opted to play it via MAME, so if it has a different control scheme I'll be all over that! I can see it being the better way to play, much like Forgotten Worlds was. And yeah I wish I could play an OG cab of FW, just to experience it, I do quite like some of the home ports that game got though, the Sega ports were both really good, as is the PC Engine version. Can't imagine playing it on an 8bit computer though!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, checked out Echo Fighters on the Classics Collection. Dual analogue certainly adds to the game, I still can't stand some of the bosses late in the game (so tough to dodge some of the attacks quick enough). Cool port though, well worth checking out, especially as its the only home port of the game still.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Dark Void enough to rebuy a physical PS3 copy after finishing it on Steam last year. The story was whatever, but I enjoyed the world and while the gameplay was loose as hell, I thought it was pretty fun. Wish we had gotten a sequel to tighten things up but I get why we didn't.

One day I'll play that metroidvania.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I liked Dark Void enough to rebuy a physical PS3 copy after finishing it on Steam last year. The story was whatever, but I enjoyed the world and while the gameplay was loose as hell, I thought it was pretty fun. Wish we had gotten a sequel to tighten things up but I get why we didn't.

It definitely was a concept that could've worked. When I played I just imagined the same game but with a Uncharted 2 amount of polish (for back when it came out). Would've been a classic.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

I played the metroidvania game. It's definetly worth playing. It's not that long though. Finished it in one day.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome update on the OP :) Not really quite sure what needs adding, its not as if Capcom really has all the much in the way of upcoming stuff to mention (aside from Icebourne but I see that's already listed).

Anyway, been on a bit of a Capcom kick this past week, working on finishing the last of the 1993 games I still have to play. This week I ticked off Ducktales (NES and GB), MM6 and Rescue Rangers 2 (a really solid selection all round).

RR2 is a pretty short and easy game. Great pace, really fast and straight forward which I can definitely appreciate, the first game kinda felt longer though? Maybe its because you had a ton of optional levels you could skip at points (I'd always play them all) but this one definitely felt short. Final boss really sucked as well. Not hard in the least but it drags on for far too long.

Duck Tales (NES) is certainly a fantastic game. Its got some cool new power ups for the cane which really help improve level design over the first game and the optional secret area for the best ending really encourages you to search every corner of the game. Its still a bit too easy, but fantastic none the less.
The GB version while retaining the same stages and some basic level design (and bosses) is not a 1:1 port, but has its own level design and in my opinion - harder map pieces to find (some were pretty deviously hidden). Bosses are even easier in this game due to the reduced screen estate - the Egypt fight especially has two fewer spots where the boss can appear so its a push over now. Its a great game in its own right though as like previous Capcom GB ports it shapes the game to suit the platform more, and its better for it.

Lastly, my favourite series, Mega Man. I never played 6 all that much as it was not released in Europe for decades (thanks for that Capcom...) but I sure enjoy playing it now. Its got some awesome bosses (Yamato, Centaur), some truly awful ones (Tomahawk and Plant), some wonderful graphical/background effects (sunset scrolling part in Tomahawk's stage) and the music is top notch all around though the games did begin to seem a bit repetitive by this point - 7 will come along and change all that technically, but I never really got along with 7 and 8 as much as the simplicity of the earlier games. 9 and 10 don't count as they go back to MM2's tried and true gameplay which I'm eternally grateful for, but 11 really nailed what I love about the series while modernising it just a bit. So hopefully any future MM game uses that as a template.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea 6 didn't originally come out in Europe. I guess that makes sense though, the game was actually published in NA by Nintendo if I recall correctly. I guess Capcom had completely given up on getting it out of Japan. Not the best game in the series, but definitely not the worst. I think how many people feel about 5 these days, I feel towards 6. 5 is just way too easy for me to enjoy, but 6 has the same comfy Mega Man feel with similarly low stakes. Just a good game to run straight though and not take too seriously trying to perfect or speed run.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 5 is hilariously easy for me to finish. Plus it drops items like candy so I can legit get 10 lives from the first level I play, not farming, just running through to the end quick! I still love 5, its got some great fights but its definitely the easiest in the series. 6 actually isn't that far behind it for me either, at least until the fortress stages. I found the robot masters really easy on my latest run but I love most of them so I can't complain. I think, at least in the UKs situation 6 (and 5) were skipped over here because the NES wasn't as popular, so they moved onto the SNES games (which ironically we got all of them, bar the Football game)

Anyway, I hope to make some more progress with my Capcom run this week. Next up is Final Fight 2, Mighty Final Fight and the first D&D arcade game. FF2 is a bit boring, but I really look forward to playing the other two through :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, more ramblings from my Capcom playthrough. Today's games, Final Fight 2, Mighty Final Fight, Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom.

Final Fight 2 - somehow, despite being the sequel to one of Capcom's big hits before SF2 means this is the worst of the 3 I listed above, heck when you consider Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Punisher are also '93 games its actually the worst side scrolling brawler Capcom released that year. Its not a terrible game by any means, but its just... unremarkable? It looks nice, the globe trotting idea is nice (some nice scenery) and the sprites are big and look ok, but it just feels so lackluster to play in comparison to the above. Its not really got a moves list outside of what you could do in the original Final Fight, all the enemies feel like cheap imposters from Final Fight 1 (aside from Rolento who just dropped the "o" from his name and shows up in stage 5). It just does nothing new or interesting. Music sucks as well. Oh, and while the game isn't all that difficult for the most part, for some bizarre reason health pickups are almost impossible to find. Which I thought was weird.

Mighty Final Fight - this is more like it. First off, I love the art style on this game, the characters are all so expressive, I love the little expressions the characters make as they are laying on the floor or getting hit. The game has a lite leveling system as well, as you level up you gain strength, health or a new move to use. Guy ended up as my go to... guy (sorry) as his attacks have great range, you can combo into his special move when unlocked and his speed makes it easier to grab bosses. The game also has some great boss fights, the finale actually being fantastic, way better than OG Final Fight in my opinion. Absolutely well worth playing, even if its a little on the easy side.

D&D ToD - Here's the opposite of FF2. If anything they mapped too much to the four buttons and stick on this game. Its pretty meaty in terms of content (loads of hidden areas, optional fights and alternate routes), status effects, characters all have very different traits and its pretty bastard hard to top it off. Aside from the lack of health pickups, I love this game. Its hard, maybe a bit too hard at times but damn if I can't appreciate the scope of the game, hard to believe that this game and FF2 were made by the same company...

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a ton of Shadows over Mystara but have barely touched Tower of Doom. I should really rectify that some day.

I'd love it if the inevitable Dragons Dogma 2 had some more references and fan service towards the old fantasy beat em ups Capcom made.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough when I encountered a Manticore in D&D this afternoon I thought of Dragons Dogma immediately. DD does feel like the natural progression of stuff like King of Dragons, Knights of the Round and the two D&D brawlers.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Final Fight 2 is pretty much SNES Final Fight: Apology Edition. Actually pretty fun in Co-Op, kinda boring otherwise.

Maki is cool, though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it does basically feel like its what the Snes version of FF1 should have been. I only just realised when talking to a friend yesterday that Rolento was probably included in the game just because he was never in the Snes original version.

But yeah, Maki is darn cool. Glad she got some love in Capcom Vs SNK 2. I really like Carlos as well, and hey Haggar getting a SPD was cool. I look forward to replaying Final Fight Tough sometime so that I can appreciate the improvements they made there (quite a lot I seem to remember).
In the mean time its back to D&D. I've been playing the arcade version via MAME, time to give the Saturn and Japanese PS3 ports a try (plus I still need to beat the optional Dragon boss that kicked my ass back in the day)

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I've never beat the dark dragon without credit feeding.

Also the Japanese PS3 port is absurdly better than the NA release. Which wasn't bad in its own rights. But the extras, presentation, filters, sound and features are all way better in the JPN version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember reading on here regarding the PS3 port being way better. I have the special edition physical release of the pack that came out in Japan, so I look forward to finally diving into that. The Saturn port is rather nice from what I remember, but then again I just love Saturn Capcom ports anyway.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even plan to get the CE initially, just ended up with it because it was pointed out to me, and at the time I was buying anything and everything Capcom. Glad I got it though. I've scaled back a bit now, with me focusing on just the games, and mainly just the regular editions as space is a premium (though part of me does wish I got the CE for the Belt Collection last year)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have much Capcom time this week, but I did finally have this arrive:

EX Troopers for the 3DS to go with the PS3 version. Now my 3DS can play Japanese games I finally grabbed it. And I'm not disappointed. I'm really impressed by how good this looks/plays to be honest. Feels like its 60FPS? only notable exception are some of the cutscenes and far away enemies who only animate at a lower FPS (think RE Mercs for the 3DS and you'll know what I mean). The 3D effect is also pretty damn good, the depth really makes the image pop, the cutscenes are 2D manga style which also look amazing with the added depth. All round, a really impressive game that Capcom unfortunately never brought across. From what I played so far its really good.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Since I finally wrestled myself away from Yakuza 5's vice like grip, I had some time to play a few more Capcom games this week. Not started Iceborne yet as I really don't need another super long game to grab my attention fully just yet!
This week I've been replaying Alien Vs Predator via my Supergun (and OSSC, so now I can play it on my HDTV, and it looks amazing when properly configured). It basically feels like the best bits of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and The Punisher blended into a AvP licensed brawler. Super fast paced, awesome characters with great moves lists and excellent boss fights. My favourite being the smallest - the Mad "Rolento" Predator. Its a pity the Saturn or Playstation never got a port, as I think either could have done it justice (it'd lose something running on 16 bit machines - namely the enemy count being reduced). Definitely one of (if not) the best brawlers Capcom ever put out, and really one of the best brawlers ever. Hard to pick between this, C&D, The Punisher and D&D though...

Had a quick blast on MSH while my Supergun was out as well, and this one is still my favourite fighting game ever despite MvC2 technically being better in almost every way. There's just something about the game that makes it timeless to me.

I've also been playing a couple of tech demos/unreleased Resident Evil handheld games. The first is the Resident Evil 2 GBA game. Its super short (lasts until just past the Basketball court) but its pretty damn crazy what the devs managed to squeeze onto the card. It looks incredibly good and while the aiming and frame rate aren't up to the console version, it's still quite the handheld marvel. Pity it never got greenlit though I wonder just how much of the game could have possibly been squeezed onto a GBA cart.

I then moved onto the Resident Evil port for the Gameboy Colour. Now this one I remember being previewed back in the day, it was before I really got into the series though. Playing it back now though... this could have been something special. They manage to capture the gameplay pretty well for what is a vastly weaker system, the combat is merely ok (not that the original game was super great, but I wonder how the game would handle faster paced enemies like Hunters or the Tyrant as you really handle like a tank in this one! Turn speed is slow!). The other issue is mainly down to the depth and interaction of items in the game world - they no longer flash when an interactable can be... interacted with. So if you don't know the puzzles of the first game, this could be difficult! But the gameplay is still solid for a handheld, it looks pretty good and it is just something of a technical marvel that I wish got an official release, I'd have certainly enjoyed playing it a ton. Oh well, the DS port ended up really great as well, so at least I got a Nintendo handheld version of RE1 eventually!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a scale of 1 - 10, how Never Ever is Capcom Fighting All-Stars?

Featuring:

- 3v3 gameplay.

- 30+ cast mostly reused from Marvel 3 and Infinite.

- Assists.

- Multiple game modes and some single player content.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd go right down the middle and say 5/Never. I still think the first fighter out the gate by Capcom next gen will be SF6 so any other concepts will get shoved to the side while that's worked on. I just hope they nail it out of the gate this time, I actually really enjoy SFV now, but it was definitely rough those early days before mid? Season 2 where it really felt like things picked up.
Though I do wonder aside from SF6 what fighter (if any) we get from Capcom next gen. I still think a DS sequel will never happen, so I think its probably between a Capcom Vs or Marvel Vs. Yeah, I still want to believe a new MvC could happen, I just love that series too much to see it fade away...

Hopefully though whichever Vs game they don't try and dumb the game down for casuals. I'd rather they put that thought into making a jaw dropping training/tutorial mode to teach people how to play the game instead. Bring back 3v3 and assists as people seem to really love them, I like classic XvSF 2v2 gameplay but I love 3v3 as well, so I can take either.

Single player stuff... well I know what I want back - World Tour mode. But I also don't want it tower'ed like MK11 was at launch which killed progress with grinds and MTXs (I assume that's since been fixed via patches?). Honestly I can take or leave an story mode, just give me arcade endings and maybe Alpha 2/3 style rivals before the final boss and I'm good.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting around to playing the first Dino Crisis.

Back in the day my brother played the first one and I played the second. Never ended up going back and finishing DC1 myself.

Anyway, so far so good. I'm right at the beginning, just reached the control room.

My RE hoarding habits kicked in real fast so I haven't fired a bullet yet etc.

Finished DC2 back around release so it's been forever, might replay it after finishing DC1.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Capcom computer ports in the late 80s/early 90s. They sucked. A couple were half decent (1942 and Commando on the Spectrum were surprisingly decent, Commando was more content complete than its Famicom port) but other stuff (Ghosts n Goblins, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter 1/2, Final Fight) were pretty damn awful.
Its why I loved that they instead started to tweak/remake games when releasing them for the Famicom after their initial first few ports (GnG, 1942, Commando) as that meant we got brilliant versions of Bionic Commando, Section Z, Gun.Smoke, Mighty Final Fight, Street Fighter 2010... ok maybe not that last one but Capcom's ports on the whole were pretty damn solid for consoles at the time. Some weren't as good (Strider comes to mind, its ok as a completely different idea on the character but its not even close to how great the arcade version is. Still better than the Master System port though!)

Likewise, either by design or whatever the Tenchi Wo Kurau games on the Famicom and Arcade ended up as completely different games with only the same basic idea (Liu Bei goes on a journey to slap Cao Cao upside the head). The arcade games are solid brawlers while the Famicom games are RPGs (and damn good ones at that, having just completed TwK2 on the Famicom I really wish the series would have continued past the third game on the SFC as I really enjoyed both 1&2).

Speaking of Bionic Commando though, I recently grabbed REarmed and the PS3 3D sequel (I had it on the 360 already, but PS3 is Vsynced so no screen tearing). REarmed is so damn good, pity it remains digital only as I'd buy a physical release in a heartbeat. Also, for any BC fans, the Gameboy actually got a really good BC game, and its not just a port of the Famicom game but rather a similar, but new game. Tough in places, but really good as its basically a pocket BC game, definitely worth checking out. Likewise the GBC game is also pretty good.

Oh, and one other game I've played recently that I wish got ported - Ring of Destruction (Slammasters 2). Its a decent fighting game though not quite as good as the original game (I preferred the greater focus on wrestling instead of SF style fighting). Still really solid, Gunloc, Black Widow and Haggar all rock in the game.

Lastly, some recent purchases:

All 7 parts of Eldorado's Gate. Its an episodic RPG by Capcom, I look forward to eventually getting round to playing it.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is the best thread for that?

株式会社カプコン:CAPCOM WORLD JAPAN

ゲームというエンターテインメントを通じて「遊文化」をクリエイトする株式会社カプコンのウェブサイト。ゲーム情報サイトをはじめ企業情報サイト、ネットショッピング、ファンサイトなど、さまざまなサービスについても紹介しています。
A new Sengoku BASARA game has been announced, with more details to come soon.
The remarkable point is that they finally called back Tsuchibayashi to make the official illustration, instead of the illustrator for the gacha game (who is very competent, but also, not Tsuchibayashi).
Well, it's probably one of the worse Tsuchibayashi illustration I've seen, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

While rational people should be expecting some stupid match-3 on mobile or a new Pachinko machine, the fact they called him back makes me unreasonably optimistic.
OK, maybe not BASARA 5 CONFIRMED optimistic, but at the very least "port of Basara 3 Utage on modern consoles" optimistic.
I'll even settle for a port of 1+2+Eiyûden.
Come on Capcom. Be nice Capcom. Come on now. Let's go Capcom. Come on.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I do love me some Sengoku Basara. After radio silence for so long though, I'll be cautious over this announcement but I do hope for the best.

I need to get back to my Capcom playthroughs, kinda paused it while I was playing Yakuza 7 loads this past month or so. Still need to get through the rest of the Super Turbo ports.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I am going through and closing all my tabs I've had open for weeks, and just got to this one. I have no idea what happened with that last post. I am pretty sure I was starting to write something like

"Oh, I didn't know you posted here, I love your site!!!"

but somehow I accidentally hit post way too early and didn't notice. Sorry my dude!