• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
crossposting, got a few capcom titles in my haul that came in the mail today =)
pmQrKGi.png
til1rsS.png

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because Double Helix got bought out by Amazon after Strider came out, what they're doing now I have no idea

but I didn't like Strider's 2014 look his 1998 design was the best

vala

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshinori Kawano (director of dead rising 1 & 2 with no involvement on 3 & 4) posted a pic on his instagram with the following comment:
久しぶりのバンクーバー
google trans
"Vancouver after a long absence"
He previously posted this:
久々の出張〜頑張ります〜
"I will work hard on business trips after long time ~"

OMG HE IS WORKING ON THE NEXT DEAD RISING OMG!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yoshinori Kawano (director of dead rising 1 & 2 with no involvement on 3 & 4) posted a pic on his instagram with the following comment:
久しぶりのバンクーバー
google trans
久々の出張〜頑張ります〜

It was talked about DR5 should have some more Capcom Japan involvement this time around. This is good news if true.

CD99

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
久しぶりのバンクーバー
google trans
久々の出張〜頑張ります〜

Holy shit?! Consider me excited. I only played DR1 for the first time recently but it really is an amazing game. I hope they cut down on the "scale" a bit. Nothing absurd in terms of combo weapons and the like.

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Capcom free'd him from the RE/MH dev dungeon.

Meanwhile Niitsuma worked on the RE Rev Switch collection.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if Capcom makes it a tense, scary survival game with crazy physics and enemy interactions instead of a LOL SO RANDUMB dynasty warriors spinoff then I'll be there day 1

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Rising's rough difficulty and braindead NPCs made for a lot of tension- it just wasn't tonally in line with the story or characters. That disparity is one of the things I love about the game- it's challenging and tense like none after were, but likewise goofy and stupid in a really sincere way that the sequels never captured either.

The first few notes of Gone Guru used to give me a spook for years.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Rising's rough difficulty and braindead NPCs made for a lot of tension- it just wasn't tonally in line with the story or characters. That disparity is one of the things I love about the game- it's challenging and tense like none after were, but likewise goofy and stupid in a really sincere way that the sequels never captured either.

The first few notes of Gone Guru used to give me a spook for years.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Man. I was looking back at Breath of Fire the other day...if Capcom was more in tune with the market back then, the game could've been of similar caliber to what Final Fantasy is now. What I mean is that they should've risked going into 3D with the game at some point and continued to incrementally grow the game with each iteration.

I'd still like to see a high budget Breath of Fire some day.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I can see, 2018 is the first year without a Sengoku BASARA matsuri. The next event is just a small public talk in april to tie up with the anniversary of Takeda Shingen. Besides that, it's just more takarazuka and some by-the-numbers 4-koma and cheap goods.

It's going to be hard to accept the series is dead, but it's not looking too hot...

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That "Resident Evil as Dino Crisis" thread inspired a question. If you could bring back one dead Capcom franchise, but it had to be a different genre, what would you pick? For example, Dino Crisis comes back, but it's a moba.

I submit Final Fight as a 3D RPG action brawler, a la Yakuza or No More Heroes.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Bring back UN Squadron/Area 88 as a 3D Aerial Arcade Action RPG. Like Ace Combat, but with your pilots learning new skills as they level up which correspond to dogfighting moves.

Gameplay is Ace Combat like, but with a more Arcade feel actually similar to Assault Horizon just done well.

Special/Super dogfighting moves cut to cinematic views of aerial combat like supers in fighting games. Bosses are huge fantastic flying fortresses that you and your squadron (RPG party) need to bring down.

Story is completely new and consists of a small nation against an evil mega nation with the world's largest air force bent on obliterating them because they possess a new energy source. Their only hope is a new generation of pilots and fighter planes that can defend them.

Area 88

Aerial. Dogfighting. Action.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Nice idea! I hadn't realized it but I think 3D Aerial combat is one of the few genres that Capcom hasn't touched before, and it seems like a natural fit with their strong pedigree of 2D shmups. Not that the gameplay is that similar but, you know.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can see, 2018 is the first year without a Sengoku BASARA matsuri. The next event is just a small public talk in april to tie up with the anniversary of Takeda Shingen. Besides that, it's just more takarazuka and some by-the-numbers 4-koma and cheap goods.

It's going to be hard to accept the series is dead, but it's not looking too hot...
I've not followed the series that closely, but I was under the impression it was popular in Japan? Pity if it it done for :( I've just started playing the series and quality wise it seems better than Dynasty Warriors has been these days (Omega Force has a quantity over quality vibe lately, and the games have suffered for it).

Meanwhile, I've been reading about various cancelled Capcom ports/games and I stumbled upon a couple of interesting games.
Titan Warriors is a NES title that was going to be a sort of sequel to Vulgus (Capcom's first arcade title). It was never released but a rom of the game exists. I'm going to have to try that as soon as I can, as while Vulgus is pretty basic, I still enjoyed it.

Not so fortunate is "Final Fight Seven Sons":
http://capcom.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fight:_Seven_Sons

I had no idea this was even a thing :( watching the gameplay vid at least proved to me that even in this ealy state it'd be more fun than what we ended up with (this was cancelled to get the awful Streetwise). While it looked like a fairly basic brawler in the vid, it was fairly fast paced, had several different moves/combos and a couple of classic Final Fight enemies (Two P, El Gado, probably more like Andore would have shown up I bet). I can't believe this got scrapped for Streetwise (a game so bad it sunk the studio that made it along with the final game in the Maximo trilogy).

Also took another look at Mega Man Universe. Concept wise it was solid. A MM game that has a flexible level builder, and like Mario Maker much later would have had creators complete their levels before uploading them to make sure it was possible to complete them. However that artstyle in retrospect is absolutely abysmal. I mean, it wasn't good when it was announced, but I could turn a blind eye to it, but now? Ew. Plus I remember reading reports of bad controller lag in the early playable builds which would have certainly hurt my enjoyment loads.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've not followed the series that closely, but I was under the impression it was popular in Japan? Pity if it it done for :( I've just started playing the series and quality wise it seems better than Dynasty Warriors has been these days
The popularity in Japan peaked at 3, and it's all been downhill after that (Capcom iterating on the game 5 times in a row with less and less budget also didn't help).
It's a very different game from Dynasty Warriors if you look below the surface. DW does come from a team that used to do strategy games, and it still shows in places (when you play in higher difficulties, of course). BASARA on the other hand is a quick silly offspring of DMC (with even reused animations from DMC, like Nôhime). It's about short linear stages like Final Fight, where you're supposed to style through and master the many options your character has. Starting in 3, each character even became fleshed out enough to be almost as complex as a single DMC weapon, which is what made a game with 40 characters so interesting. Not all of them are super technical or different, of course (though Sumeragi does a good effort in making everyone unique), but you have some crazy stylish movesets that require precise execution and context awareness in the game.
All that wrapped up in a silly silly package that's deliciously low-brow (one of the main criticism from the DW fans, who insist that their games are more historically rooted and serious for some weird reason).

My unlikely hope is that the BASARA team has been abducted to finish DMC5, and that once that's done they'll do a BASARA5 reusing bits and pieces of DMC 4 and 5 movesets. But they'd need actual budget for that, and Capcom is unlikely to allow it for a game that sells so little outside of Japan.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The popularity in Japan peaked at 3, and it's all been downhill after that (Capcom iterating on the game 5 times in a row with less and less budget also didn't help).
It's a very different game from Dynasty Warriors if you look below the surface. DW does come from a team that used to do strategy games, and it still shows in places (when you play in higher difficulties, of course). BASARA on the other hand is a quick silly offspring of DMC (with even reused animations from DMC, like Nôhime). It's about short linear stages like Final Fight, where you're supposed to style through and master the many options your character has. Starting in 3, each character even became fleshed out enough to be almost as complex as a single DMC weapon, which is what made a game with 40 characters so interesting. Not all of them are super technical or different, of course (though Sumeragi does a good effort in making everyone unique), but you have some crazy stylish movesets that require precise execution and context awareness in the game.
All that wrapped up in a silly silly package that's deliciously low-brow (one of the main criticism from the DW fans, who insist that their games are more historically rooted and serious for some weird reason).

My unlikely hope is that the BASARA team has been abducted to finish DMC5, and that once that's done they'll do a BASARA5 reusing bits and pieces of DMC 4 and 5 movesets. But they'd need actual budget for that, and Capcom is unlikely to allow it for a game that sells so little outside of Japan.
Thanks for the detailed response. That's both really interesting, and pretty sad as I'd love to see the series get another sequel. Like you say, hopefully they are just working on DMC5 and will be back with a sequel to Basara after that.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks for the fans, but im having trouble being upset by the series getting put on ice since they stopped localizing the games anyway.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks for the fans, but im having trouble being upset by the series getting put on ice since they stopped localizing the games anyway.

They barely localized them to begin with! You have the first game that was changed and made into "Devil Kings" and then an English version of SB3. No SB2, SB2 Heroes, X Cross, Battle Heroes, Chronicle Heroes, SB3, SB3 Utage, SB4, SB4 Sumeragi, and SB Sanada Yukimura-Den.

I guess the third game didn't sell well enough to warrant them continuing with English releases.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the GBA lately. I'd forgotten what a technical miracle this game was. All the characters and moves in the game, albeit with some cutbacks to animation, music and controls. It controls pretty well (and has some nice shortcut options to help pull off tougher moves), it looks great and plays really well (especially compared to other fighter ports on the system). I still prefer the PSP version more (especially played on the Vita thanks to the better D Pad) but I'll still play the GBA port here and there just to be reminded of how ace it is.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I was just playing Alpha 3 on my vita last night. It drives me crazy that the Vita has such a great dpad but the stupid nub is in the way.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I was just playing Alpha 3 on my vita last night. It drives me crazy that the Vita has such a great dpad but the stupid nub is in the way.
Yeah, the nub is a bit of a pain at times. I remember raging at it for Axiom Verge (touching one of the nubs brings up the in game map, and its so easy to brush against it). A real pain indeed!

The D Pad is so ace for fighters though. Aside from the awesome Zero 3 port on the PSP I play loads of Marvel 3 on the Vita, which really impressed me since it worked so darn well. Managed to pull off my console combos on it perfectly. Kinda wish we got a Street Fighter 4 port as well (we got SFxT). Heck, even the 3DS got a great port of SSFIV, so it'd have worked great on the Vita (in theory).

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have any favorite non-obvious Capcom games? For example, not stuff like RE4, DMC3, mainline Street Fighters, Mega Man, Ace Attorney or RE titles, etc. I'm asking because I'm trying to fill in my gaps of Capcom's libraries by playing through some of them. I'm thinking spin-offs or one off things, like Dragon Quarter, Haunting Ground, etc....

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have any favorite non-obvious Capcom games? For example, not stuff like RE4, DMC3, mainline Street Fighters, Mega Man, Ace Attorney or RE titles, etc. I'm asking because I'm trying to fill in my gaps of Capcom's libraries by playing through some of them. I'm thinking spin-offs or one off things, like Dragon Quarter, Haunting Ground, etc....

DemonsCrest.jpg

One of the GOAT SNES games that's finally getting its recognition.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Battle Circuit is one. Its a brawler like Final Fight but it was arcade only. Much like the awesome Armored Warriors which is a Final Fight styled brawler but with Cyberbots robots that you could smash bits off of and use them in battle (drills, tank treads, laser cannons etc.) Pity neither got released on a console (like the Saturn).

But for my really obscure choice, I'd have to pick Mad Gear/L.E.D Storm. Its a top down racing/platform game back from the mid/late 80's. Its better than I ever expected it to be, its really fast paced and incredibly fun when you get into it. Its fairly easy going on the difficulty as well, I got to the point where I could 1CC it (or almost there, I honestly forget). What's also interesting with the game is that the beta of the game was leaked - and its even better. They tweaked some level designs, graphics (like the main cars) and some game mechanics and I felt it was even better than the full game. I believe it was changed due to it not testing so great :( Unfortunately the planned NES port was canned, so this one only got home computer releases at the time (I've not touched them, home computer ports of Capcom games were usually bad unless they were on the Sharp X68000). The only remnant of the game today is the Japanese title "Mad Gear" - that was of course reused into the gang name for the baddies in Final Fight.

Speaking of FF, I've been playing the heck out of it over the last few days. Been playing the arcade, SFC and GBA versions. I've finally gotten to the point where I can clear most bosses well. The only ones still giving me issues are Abigail and Belger. The Super Famicom ports are... lacking to say the least. Also, the game freaks out when barrels start rolling at you and the game controls become really unresponsive, so taking damage is a given. They aren't awful ports (bar that issue), just a pity that they didn't put more effort into the "Guy" version to get the content back in. The GBA version at least is way better in that regard - more enemies on screen, performance is way smoother, all the levels and characters in (heck, even two extra hidden ones as Zero Guy and Zero Cody) and some nice cutscenes with dialogue. Only port left to play is my favourite from back in the day - the Mega/Sega CD port with that amazing soundtrack.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is God Hand considered non-obvious ? Because this.

Also, I don't care about MH's music, but if SF5 gets someone with God Hand cosplay (like, Rashid as Gene, Birdie as Elvis, Juri as Sharron, Alex or Zangief as Kin/Gin...), I will pay all the FM in the world to get any God Hand music in the game.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Is God Hand considered non-obvious ? Because this.
Battle Circuit is one. Its a brawler like Final Fight but it was arcade only. Much like the awesome Armored Warriors which is a Final Fight styled brawler but with Cyberbots robots that you could smash bits off of and use them in battle (drills, tank treads, laser cannons etc.) Pity neither got released on a console (like the Saturn).

But for my really obscure choice, I'd have to pick Mad Gear/L.E.D Storm. Its a top down racing/platform game back from the mid/late 80's. Its better than I ever expected it to be, its really fast paced and incredibly fun when you get into it. Its fairly easy going on the difficulty as well, I got to the point where I could 1CC it (or almost there, I honestly forget). What's also interesting with the game is that the beta of the game was leaked - and its even better. They tweaked some level designs, graphics (like the main cars) and some game mechanics and I felt it was even better than the full game. I believe it was changed due to it not testing so great :( Unfortunately the planned NES port was canned, so this one only got home computer releases at the time (I've not touched them, home computer ports of Capcom games were usually bad unless they were on the Sharp X68000). The only remnant of the game today is the Japanese title "Mad Gear" - that was of course reused into the gang name for the baddies in Final Fight.

Speaking of FF, I've been playing the heck out of it over the last few days. Been playing the arcade, SFC and GBA versions. I've finally gotten to the point where I can clear most bosses well. The only ones still giving me issues are Abigail and Belger. The Super Famicom ports are... lacking to say the least. Also, the game freaks out when barrels start rolling at you and the game controls become really unresponsive, so taking damage is a given. They aren't awful ports (bar that issue), just a pity that they didn't put more effort into the "Guy" version to get the content back in. The GBA version at least is way better in that regard - more enemies on screen, performance is way smoother, all the levels and characters in (heck, even two extra hidden ones as Zero Guy and Zero Cody) and some nice cutscenes with dialogue. Only port left to play is my favourite from back in the day - the Mega/Sega CD port with that amazing soundtrack.

Sure these are great, keep em coming!

I'll add some more context because I don't think I explained myself very well. I'm trying to make my own Capcom top 10 list. I can't play every game they've ever published, so I'm going through review sites and making sure I've played the top rated Capcom titles. This just tends to get the huge AAA and legendary nostalgia titles though. I want to be sure I play other titles that are not obvious, but deserve co side ration for my top 10. Does that kind of make sense?

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
crosspost.
hey capcom lovers, this beauty came in today with two shmups =) can't wait to play megaman 8. never tried it =)
wT18zk2h.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Carrying on with my Capcom playthrough today. After many years of trying on and off (since the 90's I think?) I've finally seen the credits of Final Fight CD. Took me a few tries today to finish it, I can do levels 1-4 ok, but stage 5 and 6 really kick my ass. 5 is mainly thanks to Abigail, 6 because there's so little health (especially if the goons keep kicking the barrels at you! Despite its difficulty in places, its still easily superior to the Snes ports. The soundtrack also speaks for itself, best bit of the game for me. I think I might have enjoyed the GBA port of Final Fight a little more though. Felt a little faster and a little more fair difficulty wise. But the CD port is still brilliant, and pretty close to being arcade perfect.
Time to move onto 1990's games next!

vala

Oct 25, 2017
Great!
I remember the first time I saw it in 1997. I loved the colourful next-gen graphics! :)