• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This one is kind of the full block quote. It sounds like they intend to make them in both the West and Japan as well.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
All these sequels may seem like (relatively) safe bets, but what about something new? There was a time Capcom was known for experimental new concepts. The days of Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 and Okami seem a long time ago.

"When we put out our strategy a couple of years ago, we said we were focusing on our core pillars - Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and others," Turner reminds us. "Some people would point to the cultural thing of risk-avoidance, but we do take risks. RE7 could have gone horribly wrong. And with Monster Hunter World, you're potentially turning your back on a four million domestic market to chase the West."

Molant continues: "We are looking into the explosion in affordable digital-only titles. That is how we potentially see new IP being born, by testing the water with smaller titles that are less risky to develop. Maybe we could release a few of these and see if one takes off, and then you can take it further step-by-step, as opposed to doing a AAA with a £10 million marketing budget. That's never going to happen."

Turner again: "But it's not off the plans to do some new IP. We have titles lined-up. The development team doesn't want to keep working on the same thing over and over. They want to explore other areas. There is also a lot of scope in some of our universes where we can go and do something new, without having to leap into new territory.

"But new IP is certainly still on the radar, and discussed within the development offices at Osaka and Vancouver. It's just difficult to launch successfully in a global market."

Concludes Molant: "Especially as a boutique publisher."
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-03-capcom-taken-aback-by-resident-evil-2-reception

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
capcom could end up like Square Enix, where their mid-budget titles are better than their big-budgeted stuff. but "digital only" (at least at first) sounds even lower budget than that. then again, Ubisoft had some good stuff (like Child of Light), but they stopped those

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a great idea.

If they do start doing that I almost guarantee they will do their own Launcher on PC.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Something we definitely need more of. Much like films, I want to see more variety in smaller budget titles, making 10 games for the cost of one massive over-bloated AAA piece

Francois Dillinger

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2018
Not a bad idea at all. I wouldn't mind seeing it picked up by more devs if it led to a resurgence of AA titles and more creativity from devs/pubs. Works well for Ubisoft.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I can't see that strategy working too well. It seems like a very short-sighted reaction to the issue of budgets having to increase so much to meet gamer's expectations. From what I've seen of the market the move from "affordable" to "full-priced" is not one that many franchises can pull off and, even if they can, there's no guarantee of success; just look at Life is Strange 2 and how, despite coming from a very well-loved and successful new IP, faced backlash on upping the price to $40, let alone $60. There's also the increased level of expectations from gamers across the board, with games like Hellblade and Hollow Knight would have been $60 releases ten years ago having to sell at half that or less to be deemed "worth it," by gamers.

I can see the benefits of allowing developers to create smaller titles with new IPs but I'm definitely wary of the idea that those new IPs can somehow be 'developed' into larger ones.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we've discussed about SNK needing to pursue this as well.

These guys could make some excellent arcade style games with old school quality and know how and in many genres.

They both have a ton of IPs and characters they can use for these purposes in addition to being able to create new ones at low cost.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
capcom could end up like Square Enix, where their mid-budget titles are better than their big-budgeted stuff. but "digital only" (at least at first) sounds even lower budget than that. then again, Ubisoft had some good stuff (like Child of Light), but they stopped those
We're getting toward the point where a lot of these digital only games are becoming double digit millions titles.

EA had A Way Out, Take-Two has an entire division dedicated to this, and Ubisoft still has a bit of this with stuff like Transference.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Molant adds: "The risk was mitigated by Sony's support, and Sony Japan in particular, who felt Monster Hunter coming to home consoles was going to sell some PS4s... and they were right."

The amount of support Sony threw behind the game is def part of why it was so successful.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
New IPs tho? Several franchises from their back catalogue are perfect fits for AA development and people have been saying this since forever.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smart move. The digital-first space has grown to be a pretty wide range now. Games like Hellblade, and Talos Principle, and Life is Strange -- Solid, full-sized AA games that could easily grow into AAA franchises. I think workshopping new IP in the AA space makes a ton of sense, and if it leads to more risks and original concepts, I think it'll be good for gamers too.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see that strategy working too well. It seems like a very short-sighted reaction to the issue of budgets having to increase so much to meet gamer's expectations. From what I've seen of the market the move from "affordable" to "full-priced" is not one that many franchises can pull off and, even if they can, there's no guarantee of success; just look at Life is Strange 2 and how, despite coming from a very well-loved and successful new IP, faced backlash on upping the price to $40, let alone $60. There's also the increased level of expectations from gamers across the board, with games like Hellblade and Hollow Knight would have been $60 releases ten years ago having to sell at half that or less to be deemed "worth it," by gamers.

I can see the benefits of allowing developers to create smaller titles with new IPs but I'm definitely wary of the idea that those new IPs can somehow be 'developed' into larger ones.
I feel the issue with Life Is Strange 2 is that it's not self evident what it's offering versus the first to make it worth $15 more.

If Life Is Strange 2 looked like Detroit, it would probably be an easier pitch.

Obviously though, the standards for $60 are going through the roof, so it's not clear that something you would launch at $20 or $40 now would ever get enough investment to be worth $60 later, though the closest we have is probably 3DS/Vita era $40 handheld games becoming $60 games on the Switch/PS4. I imagine that's actually the route Capcom is thinking about, since Monster Hunter 4 was sold as a $40 in the West, but Monster Hunter World was $60.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Don't do this for Dino Crisis. I need that coming back in mass-form so there isn't any "well it sadly failed due to lack of presence".

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
New IPs tho? Several franchises from their back catalogue are perfect fits for the AA development and people have been saying this since forever.
I guess they'll do that too, like MM11? That game at least feels like a team at Capcom really wanted to work on Mega Man.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're getting toward the point where a lot of these digital only games are becoming double digit millions titles.

EA had A Way Out, Take-Two has an entire division dedicated to this, and Ubisoft still has a bit of this with stuff like Transference.
given the examples, they're more styled after larger budgeted games, just shorter and more compacted (though while still being experimental). an aesthetic that helps be more palpable towards the general audience that allows it to push those kinds of numbers. I can't help but think Capcom is envisioning games more akin to Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe when they talk about this.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems smart, I imagine it's a lower risk way to test how an audience responds to a new world and it's characters and if it's a hit they can focus on the gameplay and pop it out onto the consoles and PC.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
given the examples, they're more styled after larger budgeted games, just shorter and more compacted (though while still being experimental). an aesthetic that helps be more palpable towards the general audience that allows it to push those kinds of numbers. I can't help but think Capcom is envisioning games more akin to Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe when they talk about this.
I kind of assumed they meant stuff in the mold of Resident Evil Revelations 2, but I could definitely be wrong.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Don't do this for Dino Crisis. I need that coming back in mass-form so there isn't any "well it sadly failed due to lack of presence".

They will release a 15 minute teaser exclusively for players with over 300 hours in Umbrella Corps, playable through their proprietary Capcom launcher, then say nothing for 4 years before cancelling it

;)

Plum

May 31, 2018
I feel the issue with Life Is Strange 2 is that it's not self evident what it's offering versus the first to make it worth $15 more.

If Life Is Strange 2 looked like Detroit, it would probably be an easier pitch.

Obviously though, the standards for $60 are going through the roof, so it's not clear that something you would launch at $20 or $40 now would ever get enough investment to be worth $60 later, though the closest we have is probably 3DS/Vita era $40 handheld games becoming $60 games on the Switch/PS4. I imagine that's actually the route Capcom is thinking about, since Monster Hunter 4 was sold as a $40 in the West, but Monster Hunter World was $60.

You've kind of proven my own point with that "Detroit" comparison lol. In the case of Life is Strange 2 we might not have seen much of the actual game (which sucks) but we have had Captain Spirit and, if it's any indication of what the final game will be like, it's very much an improvement in all technical and gameplay areas than the original. However, since the game isn't similar to Detroit in terms of production values that improvement on top of what's already there is somehow not worth it. The pricing expectations for the type of game Life is Strange was (episodic, AA production values, etc) are set in stone so even if LiS2 turns out to be a massive success I don't see it being a strategy that Capcom will find easy to replicate.

As for the Monster Hunter example, I don't exactly see that as comparable considering MH was a long running, well-known series by World's release and had most of Capcom's attention this year; a new IP in a different genre will have a much more difficult time replicating that success in my eyes.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Are they all going to be Sony exclusives?

It's kinda weird how at the end of last year they teased big Ace Attorney news for 2018 and after 7 months we've heard nothing.

Nov 2, 2017
Something I've been saying companies should be doing forever.

Capcom's fighting game potential, specifically, falls into this category. Do Darkstalkers, but do it small, initially.

Thank God this industry seems to finally be (seemingly) coming to its senses. Not everything has to be the next freaking CoD or AssCreed to make money.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad more of the industry is embracing smaller mid-tier games with modest budgets. I can see Capcom having success with fighting games like EX Layer.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd be down for that. They could also do the same for some of their dormant franchises.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If that's what it takes to build something up from the lower or mid-tier range into something that's worthy of standing with the bigger forces in Capcom's pantheon, by all means, this is ideal.

Another beat em up in the style of Final Fight doesn't really need to be a AAA affair, for example.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Wish they had this policy in play earlier.

Would've loved to see a follow up to Strider '14.

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
Seems like the method they will use to migrate to an all digital future......they will "new release" as digital, then "say" they will make physical versions available later. Slowly, over time, they will stop bothering with the physical releases altogether, using excuses like the game didn't sell well enough to support a physical release, or it sold so well they don't need a physical release, or physical sales are down or whatever other BS so-called reason they can come up with to stop providing physical version completely.

Since you can't trade-in a digital copy, you can be sure that transitioning to all digital is something most game creators want to happen as soon as possible. Think about it from the business side.....how many people buy games that could have been revenue for the creators, but it was bought used so they got nothing? All digital would certainly solve that little issue. As it is now, digital purchase percentages are on the rise, and places like Gamestop are fading fast. It won't be too many more years before buying physical games become mostly extinct. The tides will turn where physical games can only be gotten at a premium price over their digital versions.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

Wait.. Is LiS2 40?

I was going to bite the bullet and buy it digitally and then at retail later but at that pricepoint I rather wait.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If it was anyone but Capcom this would be a good business decision. This is Capcom we're talking about though...

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
Hopefully this might be a way to get darkstalkers made or some of their other niche games

Edit: I just realized that said new ip's. WOOPS. This is still cool tho.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is how they're gonna support the switch since top end titles are all but off the table

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I am at the exact opposite of this side. My dream Capcom project can easily be done like this, specially if they go the Sonic Mania way and release a Super Capcom Smash Ultra physical after it is proven a success. Hell they can even make a dual pack release with the Super Capcom Puzzle that reuses it's models. Cheap, easy to make, little risk, basically 2 games for the price of one, perfect for the casual market that don't go to game stores

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense and is a good idea. Make a fairly cheap and small game at an affordable digital only price point and if it does well supplement it with DLC and add-ons and then release a "complete edition" at retail. If the game doesn't do well then you don't have to support it with extra content and can move on to a more profitable idea.

More devs should do this for their IPs that have a fair bit of love but are a bit too niche to be big budget retail releases.