• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Capcom has provided a Capcom Cup 2017 prize pool update on the PlayStation Blog. Read more below (and let's keep the conversation focused on this news and avoid unrelated tangents.)

Here's an excerpt:
Capcom Cup 2017: Finalists to Compete for Prize Pool of Over $370k

Hello all Street Fighter V fans! We're winding down the Capcom Pro Tour, getting closer and closer to Capcom Cup 2017.

For a second straight year, we offered Capcom Pro Tour DLC, which helped generate a bonus for Capcom Cup's prize pool. This year's bonus contribution to Capcom Cup's prize pool will exceed over $120,000. That means with a base prize pool of $250,000, the Top 8 finalists will compete for a prize pool worth more than $370,000 and rising at Capcom Cup 2017.

We want to thank all of our fans for the support they've shown in the CPT DLC initiative. The CPT 2017 DLC is still available and because many of you asked for it, we brought the CPT 2016 DLC back at a reduced price. The offer lasts until November 29 so you still have time to purchase the DLC and contribute to Capcom Cup's prize pool!

Source: PlayStation Blog

Check the blog post for the specific DLC packages available if you're interested in supporting SFV.

---

My two cents:
Going by last year's breakdown on the PS blog, 30% of the revenue raised goes to the CPT prize pool, 50% percent goes to Capcom Pro Tour Production and the last 20% likely goes to Capcom. So as of this blog post:

Total Revenue from CPT DLC in 2017: $400,000
Amount for Capcom Pro Tour Production: $200,000
Amount Remaining (Capcom Take-home): $80,000

Its worth noting that the CPT 2016 DLC brought in $100K last year (totaling a Capcom Cup 2016 prize pool of $350K) meaning this year's CPT DLC sales brought in an additional $20K. So their CPT DLC sales are actually up year-over-year by 20% indicating growth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThatMeanScene

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh, its important to note that the actual prize money amount is more than these even figures as Capcom frequently states "more than $XXX,XXX" when talking about their figures. So there's probably an additional couple thousand in CPT DLC revenue. If a meaningful additional amount of revenue is made between now and Capcom Cup (December 8 - 10) they'll probably give us updated figures like they did with last year's Capcom Cup trailer.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like DLC is doing pretty well for them? 20 more Chun costumes incoming.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty popped this Summer. I'll support next year for sure though.

Really excited for the finals and S3 stuff, can't wait.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's some nice growth. With SFV: AE hitting soon the game should continue to grow and expand. Well done to the CPT team.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
You think too many Chun Li costumes are bad??

Wait until Sakura gets in the roster. You're going to get the perfect cherry blossom storm of costumes between Chun, Sak, Cammy, Menat, and Ibuki.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this DLC number only come from the Ryu/Ken/Guile costumes and the stage? So Chun costumes didn't even add to this number?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see FGC games finally getting decent prize pools over the past few years. Obviously $370,000 isn't the same as however many million the Dota International offers, but it's way better than the $15k prize pool SF4 had in 2011 for EVO.

OP
OP
ThatMeanScene

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Times for what time the actual events start, like the top 8 on Sunday.

Was just wondering if I was missing it because I can't find times for any of it.
Last year we did have the details as early as November 9th so it looks like they're running behind schedule this year. So far all we know is that the Capcom Cup LCQ is on 12/8, Top 32 is on 12/9, and Top 8 will be on Sunday as always. I imagine they'll make a blog post detailing everything soon.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last year we did have the details as early as November 9th so it looks like they're running behind schedule this year. So far all we know is that the Capcom Cup LCQ is on 12/8, Top 32 is on 12/9, and Top 8 will be on Sunday as always. I imagine they'll make a blog post detailing everything soon.

The thing that's throwing me off this year is that Battle of the Stones is also mixed in with all of this right? I don't think it's actually at PSX, but it's running during that weekend at the same time, so I'm sure they don't want to overlap.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This CPT pack is good value.

Capcom Pro Tour 2016 Pack – $9.99

• Additional Costume ("Capcom Pro Tour"): Chun-Li
  • Additional Costume ("Capcom Pro Tour"): Cammy
  • Additional Costume ("Capcom Pro Tour"): Necalli
  • Capcom Pro Tour 2016 Stage: "Ring of Destiny"
  • 1 exclusive CPT themed color option for all 22 characters (PS4 only)
  • 2 Exclusive Titles: "Capcom Cup 2016" and "Capcom Pro Tour 2016" (PS4 only)

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2016 discount bundles going towards the 2017 CPT fund is great news I didn't expect to hear out of Capcom.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only DLC I've actually spent money on in SFV is the Bison one from launch and the CPT packs. No regrets (even if I never end up using the costumes)

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really glad to see the sales have actually grown since last year. I'm taking a break from the game at the moment but I still love it. And it hopefully shuts up people who claimed this game would be dead by this time.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the entire bonus doesn't go to one player again because that's what happened last year. Nuckledu got everything and had almost 4 times the pay out as Ricki did. I just want them to use the same or a similar percentage. 1st is getting a little under half the total guaranteed prize. So he should get around the same for the DLC bonus. Give the 5th and 7th place guys a small chunk of that as well. They deserve it.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Let's do some quick maths.

CPT 2017 DLC revenue is $400,000 so far. The price of that DLC is $25.

400,000/25 = 16,000.

The 16,000 people who bought that DLC represent .84% of SFV's 1.9 million userbase.

Let's round that percentage up to 1% and assume that's the going DLC buy rate. I think this is a conservative estimate because the CPT DLC costs over 5x what the typical SFV DLC goes for.

How many premium Chun-Li costumes are there? 10? I'm going with 10 because even if there ain't 10 yet there will be soon.

Each premium costume costs $4. Multiply that by 19k (our going DLC purchase rate) and you get $76,000 in revenue. Multiply that by ten for just Chun-Li and you get $760,000.

3/4ths of a million dollars off of Chun costumes alone. Enough to fund almost four years of Capcom Pro Tours going by the $200,000 figure we got in the OP.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't buy last year's CPT pack until recently discounted. I did buy this year's and what pushed me over were the additional fight money monthly challenges. About to get my 100th ranked win this month for 50k.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that money gets distributed across the whole top 32 rather than front loaded to the top 8 only.

EDIT:
Hopefully it'll be something like this (assuming it's 370k):

1st: 100k
2nd: 80k
3rd: 60k
4th: 34k
5th: 15k
7th: 8k
9th: 5k
13th: 3k
17th:1.5k
25th: 750

That all adds up to 370 I think across all 32 competitors.

Last edited:

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's do some quick maths.

CPT 2017 DLC revenue is $400,000 so far. The price of that DLC is $25.

400,000/25 = 16,000.

The 16,000 people who bought that DLC represent .84% of SFV's 1.9 million userbase.

Let's round that percentage up to 1% and assume that's the going DLC buy rate. I think this is a conservative estimate because the CPT DLC costs over 5x what the typical SFV DLC goes for.

How many premium Chun-Li costumes are there? 10? I'm going with 10 because even if there ain't 10 yet there will be soon.

Each premium costume costs $4. Multiply that by 19k (our going DLC purchase rate) and you get $76,000 in revenue. Multiply that by ten for just Chun-Li and you get $760,000.

3/4ths of a million dollars off of Chun costumes alone. Enough to fund almost four years of Capcom Pro Tours going by the $200,000 figure we got in the OP.
More proof that Laura mains are the smartest people in the world.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
More proof that Laura mains are the smartest people in the world.

reece.JPG

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Is it 20% or 30%? If its 20% then that's the final 20% of the revenue from the CPT DLC (which would mean Capcom stays with $0).

I don't see any reason to think this is gross revenue. The platform holders cut probably came before all of this.

EDIT: I would almost guarantee it, actually. Capcom would account for total overhead and then divy as promised.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Capcom can get 100 times more revenue if they put those costume in a lootbox.

That would be the day I stopped buying any costumes or DLC. I like buying exactly what I want. I have zero interest in playing the odds for the things I want. Capcom just needs to keep cranking out more costumes, characters, stage packs, and music packs and I'll buy them if they happen to be things I want. That lootbox shit can pass me by