• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Beginning January 16, modes that offered one-time finite batches of Fight Money will no longer do so. This includes Character Stories, the General Story (A Shadow Falls), Trials, Survival, and Demonstrations – if you haven't completed these modes yet, there's still a few weeks left to do so before the changes occur in January!

If you're a new player worried about getting enough Fight Money to get the Crossover Costumes, you still gain experience points from all modes except for the General Story. You receive Fight Money each time a character gains a level, and playing through each Character Story is a great way to quickly gain experience points for each character. Do this for all 28 characters and you'll be the proud owner of at least 200,000 Fight Money. Combine this amount with Fight Money earned through online battles and recurring Targets and you'll have plenty to use for Extra Battle Mode, additional characters and costumes!
For anyone worried about your current balance of Fight Money and League Points, they will remain intact and will not be affected by these changes.

Also beginning on January 16, when you purchase a new character with real money or via the Character Pass, you will receive that character's Battle Costume and additional colors 3-10 for their Standard and Battle Costumes. If you earn Fight Money, you can also obtain characters' Story Costumes

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumsl...de-details-and-changes-in-earning-fight-money

Mod editing this in since there's more info on a Capcom JP blog post:
Gonna copy/paste my Reddit post on this -

Capcom USA and Capcom Japan not on the same page on this. https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/systemfault/132134

Missing context from the USA blogpost-

Up to now, the method of obtaining FM was available by evenly clearing various contents, but partial contents such as survival and trial have a high degree of difficulty, and a beginner player has strict specifications and It was getting. After the update planned to be carried out on January 17, play content that is repeatedly delivered, such as a clearing of the target or an extra battle, mainly not a FM acquisition means which is acquired at one time, such as a story trial / demonstration of all characters By doing so you will be able to acquire FM. Even those who have already cleared various contents until now will have more opportunities to acquire FM.

Bullet points that got left out of the US blogpost

• Trials and Survival were too hard for a lot of players. While the FM was "available", they couldn't earn it. (No argument there)
  • There will be more FM made available through EX Battle, Weekly Missions, etc. than there currently is under the current setup.
They want to move all FM earnings to be achieved by playing Arcade/VS mode (via EXP) and through weekly/monthly quests and events.

Which is of course reasonable, IF they put enough FM in the system. I understand that they want players to earn FM with the fun stuff, not grinding Survival or Trials for hours. However, taking the clear bonuses out of Story Mode still seems very silly, as it's actually very little FM in the grand scope of things. (Only a 2K bonus per character, and 80K for both difficulties of Story Mode.)

Last edited by a moderator:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I'm confused. Is this better or worse? I just recently started SFV

Worse, I think? Now you can't get FM from trials, survival, and character story modes, which are very easy ways to earn points when you get new characters.

Now they're incentivizing grinding character levels instead of sticking with your mains which sucks.

Tan

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they do this when there's more to buy....?

Can I avatar quote myself?

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
So basically if you want fight money from those modes you have to buy the game and complete them before AE drops? And then once AE's out you're SOL?

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to say whether this winds up better or worse. FM rewards are moving to Extra Battle, which is not finite like these modes are. So we will need to see what kind of values those challenges and these "Golden Shadaloo" guys offer to get a sense of how when that crossover point is.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
And you will be forced to patch I assume since without server connection you don't get FM. Smart thinking by capcom not surprised at all

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It's hard to say whether this winds up better or worse. FM rewards are moving to Extra Battle, which is not finite like these modes are. So we will need to see what kind of values those challenges and these "Golden Shadaloo" guys offer to get a sense of how when that crossover point is.
843016f77b409452adddedb6cd3af7fe.jpg

I hope you like getting 90 FM at a time~

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They realized that AE buyers would get too much FM and never buy anything with real money haha.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just reinstalled SF5 this week after not playing any of S2. Sounds like I have a deadline for a couple things.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Shit. FM was a nice extra incentive to do the Trials.
I will do them regardless.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of buying video games that don't require long blog posts to explain all the bullshit they've weaved in to try and get you to spend extra money.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
After some time you only get FM from weekly challenges anyway so for me personally nothing really changes.

Actually with the additions i gonna earn more.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the bright side, you get 1,200,000 worth of free fight money by buying arcade version and getting the S1 and S2 characters. Value!

Please, just add new weekly challenges. Last week's challenge was watching the epilogue of Ken's story, the epitome of how stupid this system is.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
They realized that AE buyers would get too much FM and never buy anything with real money haha.
I think this is legitimately it.

Urgh I'm annoyed I don't have season pass 2, but it never dropped in price on EU PSN so I never bought it. Complete editions did and that was annoying. It feels great buying vanilla day 1.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
People jumping the gun too much. They're removing old ways but adding new ways. We'll have to see.

There's also still plenty of time, so if people are actually worried that they never got these now is the time.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Time to do survival grinds. If they'd bump up the FM for doing online matches I think it'd be a fair rebalancing

It sounds like the fight money drip is going abysmal, unless they altered the leveling curve for characters so they gain levels faster from exp. Also, they say all modes except general story give character exp, that would mean playing through the arcade routes would provide a lot of exp if one did all routes with all characters.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
More things to spend Fight Money on...

... Less useful ways to get Fight Money.

This is not a positive in any way for new or old players.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
OH FUCK!

Then i need to get my ass in gear and do the survival modes i neglectfully havent.

There go my dreams of arcade mode giving FM too.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Welp, time to force my way through Trials before it's too late.

Also, you can now preview alternate costumes & their colors via 3D models before buying them.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm reading correctly, sounds like you can get Experience from playing Arcade Mode and VS AI now, so I guess there's at least some Turbo Controller exploits for some fight money.

Like most games though, sounds like you'll be getting the most money from doing the Dailies/Weeklies. Gotta keep up that player retention rate.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in having fight money if they're going to take away all the ways you can earn fight money.

Producer

Oct 25, 2017
i was being lazy and didnt get around to the single player content, but now with this i am completely motivated. based capcom

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe okay for people who have exhausted their offline FM sources, not so great for AE buyers. Hopefully the Extra Battles and Weekly missions are at least interesting.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Damn, Glad I just finished all of the trials from Vol.1 and 2 as of yesterday. (I suck at charge characters so balrogs #10 was probably the hardest one in the game for me) I can at least do all the intermediate survivals and watch the remaining demonstrations

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They also showed off some Extra Battle costumes.

Rashid is Viewtiful Joe
26e758c8ddc98daaf74b441235d3a9a5.jpg

Chun-Li is June (Star Gladiator)
1bea176cb3555bf324b9f4494e1721ca.jpg

Nash is Captain Commando
90b6482cad4cb6565534e60b3911a61c.jpg

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This doesn't affect me as I only need to finish a few Normal Survival runs for a few characters (not bothering with Hard and Extreme), but it will affect new players who'll be starting with AE, so my only suggestion would be to get the game right now if you can along with both Season Passes (on sale on US PSN right now) and go grab all the FM you can obtain. I kind of see the point of why they'd do this, but it fucking sucks for the players who are about to join with AE.

Oct 25, 2017
I should've known better...

2500fm per attempt, really!?

"
  • Each time you attempt one of these challenges, you must spend 2,500 Fight Money, In other words, if you successfully complete each of the weekly challenges in one go, you can get that Extra Battle Costume for 10,000 FM!"

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely gonna happen.
If you finish story mode for all 28 characters under the current FM gain you would get the entire S3 and some of S4 for free.

But now you would only get 2 characters.

SFV Deluxe Edition for $40 is the best deal.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Over the long haul, this is probably better since it isn't finite like the SP modes. Hard to say without knowing how much you can get from the mode though.