• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
More at the link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/interview/2019/vol01/

Who Capcom interviewed:
Ryozo Tsujimoto
Managing Corporate Officer
Head of Consumer Games
Development Division 2 and Mobile Online Development Division

He has served as producer of the Monster Hunter series since the 2007 launch of Monster Hunter Freedom 2. As producer of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, he oversees all aspects of the title.

Initial sales goal for MHW:
Q: Before we talk about Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, we'd like to ask about the base game, Monster Hunter: World, which we heard had the "World" subtitle added to appeal to a global audience. After the title became a big success, were you and the team able to take a breather?

A: We were developing Iceborne in parallel after the release of World, so there was no real sense of "finally, we're finished!" Even now we're continuing to promote World, so it's still too early for a breather. Having said that, we'd always felt that selling 5 million copies was our first major goal, so we're very happy that we were able to clear that hurdle by such a wide margin. There are still players out there who have yet to be introduced to World, and as a producer I want to push its numbers even higher.

Where Monster Hunter World is selling most regionally:
Q: Sales have greatly surpassed 10 million units, but regionally, where is the game selling the most?

A: The game is of course selling well in every region, but it's doing especially well in North America. We've also maintained our sales numbers for Japan, which is a great result for us. We've been saying this since development, but we've wanted to welcome players coming to Monster Hunter for the first time, while still satisfying our current domestic audience, so we're relieved that the game is being well received in both markets.

How Iceborne was planned:
Q: Iceborne was released as an expansion to Monster Hunter: World. Could you tell us how this came into being?

A: Until now we've always released the G/Ultimate versions in a physical format, however thanks to wider-reaching network infrastructure the percentage of home consoles connected to the net has greatly increased and digital purchases have become more common. Even with World, we had a large portion of digital sales globally. To meet the needs of this growing audience, we decided to offer Iceborne as downloadable content (DLC) that only includes the new features. Of course, for players who haven't purchased the base game yet, we also have a physical disc version that includes both World and Iceborne.

Differences between fans in parts of the world:
Q: You've been taking an active role in many overseas events. What do you personally feel is the difference between Japanese fans and fans from other parts of the world?

A: There've been times where we do interviews one after another so I'm not able to leave the interview room, but when I talk to the local media and players, I'm able to get a sense of their preferences and experiences. Everyone's interests are different. My personal impression is that the overseas media are very direct with their questions, which is an interesting difference from the Japanese media. I also feel that no matter where I go, the number of people who know about Monster Hunter has grown. It's grown especially popular in Asia. It may be surprising, but in countries such as China, Malaysia, Korea, and Taiwan, etc., Monster Hunter's popularity is really on the rise.

Scope of game development in Iceborne:
Q: Game development nowadays has grown greatly in scope. How many developers are working on Iceborne?

A: It depends on the phase, but we have over 300 people working on the game. Capcom's game development is split up into two large groups, and the Iceborne team is part of Consumer Games Development Division 2, which has around 700 people, so you can understand the scope of World's team from that.

Why?:
Q: What is the reasoning behind having that many people?

A: Instead of one person managing the project by themselves, each section has their own leader managing things. We're also creating an environment where we can develop our staff. Each year, our company welcomes over 100 new university graduates, so the leaders of each section help with their training.

Big number!:

Q: One hundred people is a big number!

A: We're focusing on the future and bolstering our development capabilities. Of course, it takes time to nurture skills, but each person is a vital asset for the future of Capcom that we're dedicated to training for years to come.

Global industry trends:
Q: Is this large-scale development trending in the entire industry?

A: Yes, I believe so. Technological advances have allowed us a greater range of presentation compared to the past, so it's a natural progression. Working closely with our Technology R&D Department is our company's strength, and we're actively integrating new technology.

Can Capcom survive against GAFA?:
Q: Globally, it's said that the video game industry has grown to 40 trillion yen. With the news of GAFA* entering the market, it looks like we're entering an era of very fierce competition. Do you have the confidence that Capcom can survive?
*GAFA: A general acronym representing the 4 largest IT companies: Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple.

A: I believe Capcom can do it. Iteration is very important in technological development, so if you're five years late, it will take ten years to catch up. At Capcom, we develop our own game engine, which I think allows us to keep up to date with the latest technology.

Looking back:
Q: Looking back at the past 15 years, is there anything that has left an impression on you?

A: Perhaps how Monster Hunter Freedom Unite became an explosive hit?Yes, Freedom Unite as well as World. On the domestic stage, Freedom Unite really changed the series, in terms of the uptick in the series' popularity and buzz, and the expansion of the player base. If you ask Japanese players which title left the biggest impression on them, many will say it was Freedom Unite. On the global stage, it was World that changed everything.

Where to go from here:
Q: Where do you want to take Monster Hunter from here?

A: Compared to Capcom's other major IPs, Monster Hunter is still a relatively young series. I don't presume that everyone in the world knows about World or Iceborne. Even in Japan we'll have a new generation of players. Since I started my involvement with the series, I've wanted to take Monster Hunter beyond games, and make it prevail globally. For the last 15 years we've been working hard, but we still haven't reached our goal. From events to movies and more, we're going to keep pushing the brand even further.

Parting words:
Q: Could you give us a few parting words about the future?

A: Iceborne has been built with World as its foundation so that players can enjoy a deeper dive into its world. We also have several updates planned to keep everyone playing even longer. We'll keep thinking of how best to meet our players' expectations while introducing the series to newcomers around the world. Happy hunting!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
He literally wants the world to finally understand.

Q: You've been taking an active role in many overseas events. What do you personally feel is the difference between Japanese fans and fans from other parts of the world?

A: There've been times where we do interviews one after another so I'm not able to leave the interview room, but when I talk to the local media and players, I'm able to get a sense of their preferences and experiences. Everyone's interests are different. My personal impression is that the overseas media are very direct with their questions, which is an interesting difference from the Japanese media. I also feel that no matter where I go, the number of people who know about Monster Hunter has grown. It's grown especially popular in Asia. It may be surprising, but in countries such as China, Malaysia, Korea, and Taiwan, etc., Monster Hunter's popularity is really on the rise.

I cannot begin to imagine how long winded Japanese press are with their questions then

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
We started with searching for player feedback on social media, and also got opinions from people within Capcom—not just from development staff, but from other sections of the company as well. Additionally, we received reports from our overseas branches on feedback from players globally, and our in-house localization team also gathered opinions that were posted online.

Well, at least it seems like one of Capcom's division has been taking feedback seriously

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
A shame capcom didn't ask him where my Dino Crisis skin is.
giphy.gif

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
Being new to the franchise the primary things that drew me in were the complexity of the monster behaviors, coop, and especially the crafting and the sheer volume of content from that and diverse play styles.

i love that if there's a weapon or piece of kit I want all I need to do is farm the appropriate monster(s) for the materials and boom I've gotten what I wanted.

other games simply lack the depth, complexity, content, and player agency of Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter World was my entry to Dragons Dogma which got me into Bloodborne in turn that got me into Dark Souls

I crave games with deep complex systems and mechanics

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if something was lost in translation or if I misread or misunderstood or something but did he say that division 2 is 700 people? Jesus Christ.....

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So as many people expected back then, their initial sales goal was beating the previous game's sales, which made sense.
Rest of the answers is pretty much known or not really important. The GAFA question was weird.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How much is capcom betting their future on mhw? Its one of the only games that i see constant get communication from developer on pc.

Oct 31, 2017
He literally wants the world to finally understand.

I cannot begin to imagine how long winded Japanese press are with their questions then
Press questions? Imagine weekly company meetings. The urge to pull my phone out in the middle of a typical 4-hour mid-week meeting is unbearable, especially since that's when the Media Create numbers usually drop.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only 5 million for the intial sales goal doesn't point to the development being drastically more expensive than gen 4 MH.

Interesting that he says sales were level in Japan compared to previous versions.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Monster Hunter World 2 will be cross-gen or fully next-gen, and when we might see it.
MH6 will be nextgen and is probably several years out. I expect World ME will get a quick nextgen port early on though to help transition their base and this interview has me thinking they may do another Iceborne level upgrade for World in the interim too (GG rank? Z rank?).

I still think Ichinose's team is probably doing the long rumored Switch game based on 5. Maybe it goes multiplat though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'd move Monster Hunter World 2, or whatever its going to be called, to the RE2/DMC5 engine. It seems like it'd be a pretty massive undertaking but that engine is also pretty damn amazing looking and I can only imagine what the monsters would look like on that plus a next gen console.

Only 5 million for the intial sales goal doesn't point to the development being drastically more expensive than gen 4 MH.

Interesting that he says sales were level in Japan compared to previous versions.
I have a feeling that if there were sales goals for fourth gen games relative to their budget, those games would require significantly less than 5 million copies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling that if there were sales goals for fourth gen games relative to their budget, those games would require significantly less than 5 million copies.
Sales goal for 4 was only 3m iirc. That was Japan only though. 4G and X also beat their targets iirc while XX fell short initially but obviously far surpassed it in the end with the Switch port.

Sales goal for 4 was only 3m iirc. That was Japan only though. 4G and X also beat their targets iirc while XX fell short initially but obviously far surpassed it in the end with the Switch port.
5 million for World was, honestly, a realistic goal to have, due to the anticipated dropoff in Japan as a result of going PS4-only and an as-yet certain level of appeal abroad beyond a loyal fanbase. World going on to sell what's likely in the neighborhood of MHFU in Japan undoubtedly shocked them.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
5 million for World was, honestly, a realistic goal to have, due to the anticipated dropoff in Japan as a result of going PS4-only and an as-yet certain level of appeal abroad beyond a loyal fanbase. World going on to sell what's likely in the neighborhood of MHFU in Japan undoubtedly shocked them.
World (~2m packaged, ~1m digital) did incredibly well in Japan all things considered but not anywhere close to MH2G (~4.2m packaged, unknown digital). It's notable World undershot the series generally on PSP and 3DS but still retained enough sales locally to justify the new global focus. Not much was lost really although Iceborne's been much more comparably sluggish compared to previous G expansions(400k packaged, ~1m+ digital) so it'll be important to continue watching how things progress.

World (~2m packaged, ~1m digital) did incredibly well in Japan all things considered but not anywhere close to MH2G (~4.2m packaged, unknown digital). It's notable World undershot the series generally on PSP and 3DS but still retained enough sales locally to justify the new global focus. Not much was lost really although Iceborne's been much more comparably sluggish compared to previous G expansions(400k packaged, ~1m+ digital) so it'll be important to continue watching how things progress.
Personally, I don't see any future in keeping packaged sales for endgame expansions anymore, as there's no technical hurdle to overcome anymore in how to release it to existing players, as well as the newfound commitment to keeping the series global that would have otherwise led to situations like we saw with MH4 being skipped for western localization, only for MH4U to wind up as a western "launch" title for the n3DS.