• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
If RE2make uses the RE7 engine, they would need to find real life actors that look like Leon, Claire, Ada and rest for the engine to work, right? I think that would feel a little weird just like with Chris in RE7. I hope they can model the characters how they want and not be limited by photogrammetry, in RE7 they even had to make Jack's head in real life to scan it. I don't think that would work with the RE2 cast of characters.

If rumours are true, they're using loose actor likenesses again and creating the characters by hand (and being very particular about it by all accounts) like they've traditionally done, rather than using photogrammetry as they did with RE7.

Diodejenero

Jan 18, 2018
United States
My big concern is if they go for an over the shoulder perspective that being able to aim at enemies will make the game too easy. They'd have to drastically increase the number of zombies in the game and make lickers more difficult to hit. That or mess with the aiming a bit. I think Evil Within 2 did a pretty good job of making your aim wobbly but not frustratingly so. In tense situations I never felt too confident in lining up head shots in that game.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im so sick of people complaining if they dont get tank control. What year r u in now? Did u skip gaming for the last 15 years? Anything RE relate become toxic now with all these old fans keep wanting Capcom to build a time machine for them.
Is that why the Remake HD versions have had tank controls (and additional non tank controls for people who can't handle tank controls)?

And I'm honestly sick of people wanting Remake 2 to be something that it's never supposed to be, the main reason they're making it in the first place was the huge success of Remake HD - which surprise, surprise features "tank-controls".

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if the remake sticks with fixed camera angles and tank controls, but we'll find out before too long.
People said the same thing about Remake HD, which was clarified pretty soon to stay true to the original (which makes sense considering it was just a HD remaster).

What I kinda expect is the same control schemes as in Remake HD, true to the original camera angles but non pre-rendered backgrounds (too expensive) and "modern" 3D rendered backgrounds instead.

I just know if this strays too far from the original idea and concept I'll rather play the original as I've never played it anyways and it makes little sense to play a "modernised " RE for me as that's not something I have any interest in, aka RE7.

What I want from this remake is the experience from the original RE 2 with some added bling and maybe some new additions thrown in in the vein of what they did with the first Remake.

A little more on topic, as for these "news" I dunno, it's not hard to imagine they announce "something" on RE's anniversary, we can only hope it's something substantial instead of a lame PR blurp.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
It's definitely gonna depend on the budget. If this is AAA budget the size of RE7 and 4 million + copies expected, it's doubtful.

If it's smaller and only 2 million is expected. Then maybe.

The amount of time that's elapsed since the initial announcement suggests to me that this is a fairly large-scale project, if not as much so as RE7.

But I could be wrong, and we'll see.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Intergrated VR mode would be the reason for me to purchase this, I own all the Resi's, Bought the REmake for ps4 and never touched it, So not doing that again unless there's something special added like VR, Albeit I very much doubt it.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If there is nothing coming at the anniversary they should say it. They must know that the fan anticipation is high right now, especially with their teases.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Teasing something before an anniversary and then not actually announcing something is just the worst. I hope we will get some sort of announacement or reveal. Come on, Capcom. You did good with the Mega Man anniversary last year!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Is that why the Remake HD versions have had tank controls (and additional non tank controls for people who can't handle tank controls)?

And I'm honestly sick of people wanting Remake 2 to be something that it's never supposed to be, the main reason they're making it in the first place was the huge success of Remake HD - which surprise, surprise features "tank-controls".

I forgot the remaster supported more intuitive controls for the game.

That's even more of a reason for REmake 2 to follow suit.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
If they don't tease anything today on their official accounts. I'd keep expectations in-check for Sunday

This.

I just thought that by now the official channels would of said something if something was happening Sunday. There is the logo change but is that enough?

Has Capcom ever missed an anniversary before?

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
That reminded Nintendo NX reveal. The fake one. Too much hype. Too much rage with those few face buttons and scrollable shoulder buttons.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
U4PaZHB-89FSkRaZ_O3KWuLhl7g=.gif

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I dunno man. I dont think that account is legit at all lol.

There's more on it being legit than not. Like I said Japanese focused accounts often do not get verified at all. Some well known Japanese game dev twitters aren't verified for whatever reason (even the official Resident Evil JPN Twitter isn't).

There's even Capcom employees following the account. Like I dunno what more it'll take.

The only thing that should really be questioned is if the tease is actually soon or not

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, seeing the OP reminded me of all the "put the finger in the microwave" stuff from the demo.

I really, really, reaaaaally hope it is something RE2R related. I am literally chomping at the bit for more solid info.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
I'm probably just feeding a troll here, but Resident Evil 2 was often requested to be remade for over 10 years before it was announced doing to the following factors:

*It is the second game in the series, the first game was already remade to great response so people wanted them to remake the second game in a similar vein.
*Resident Evil 2 is the top-selling classic horror game of all time, it's also Capcom's fourth best selling game of all time and established the survival-horror genre for many due to its timing, exposure, and spread.
*It's considered by many fans in the series to be the best game in the franchise, it's often cited among REmake and RE4 as the 'Trilogy' of best entries in the franchise (or at least was, I don't think RE7 is old enough to know how it factors into this).

While it's not my favorite entry in the series or anything, a remake of it certainly isn't "random", it is literally the top-selling classic-styled horror game of all time, there is literally no horror game that released from 1980-2005 that sold more than RE2. There is nostalgic value there for many people which makes it a more marketably sensible decision to choose remake.
Look, what I wanted to say is this.... If they don't go REmake style and revamp it completely this seems to me more like a reboot and less like a remake - and if they want to reboot the thing it seems weird to start with 2 (that's why I used "random"). Why not just start with 1? After all 2 is a direct continuation of RE1's story so if you want to draw in players new to to series, again it seems weird to remake RE2. Also it's really out there to claim that the RE2 Remake announcement had little to do with the success of REmake Remaster because that was obviously what got the whole thing going. At first even I thought the whole Facebook thing was just a marketing gag and they were already working on the RE2make but since it's been so long it's fair to assume that the whole project indeed started with the Facebook campaign.

To me all of these fact strongly point to a REmake style RE2make but hell, what do I know.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
People said the same thing about Remake HD, which was clarified pretty soon to stay true to the original (which makes sense considering it was just a HD remaster).

Er, no one said this once we knew what it was.

Like, it was known to be an HD remaster. The comparison doesn't make sense.

REmake 2 is built from the ground up. It is not a remaster of a 16-year-old game.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think a factor is people are missing what capcom sees. Perhaps the REmake and RE0 rereleases did get capcom to greenlight REmake 2.

But how do we know for certain the greenlit it withtje idea of "ok a remake that plays just like these". They could've greenlit it with the idea of "people want to revisit the older games over anything about a particular style".

I definitely think that factor is being missed on people. Capcom made lots of money with Coop RE. That didn't stop them from changing it up with RE7.

Capcom does a lot of whatever they want. So it's hard to pinpoint any real logic on what they do. Most we can ask for is whatever they're doing is hopefully good.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jawmuncher that's true we definitely don't know what their plans actually are, but to me that reveal "we do it!" definitely felt like they wanted to stay true to the original and I think the dev also said something like they "understood" what people liked about these older games - and I'd think that includes the control scheme / camera.

And my take away still is that they most likely won't do "pre-rendered" stuff as it's very costly to do so with little gains over conventional 3D graphics (I'd still prefer pre-rendered though appearantly).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My big concern is if they go for an over the shoulder perspective that being able to aim at enemies will make the game too easy. They'd have to drastically increase the number of zombies in the game and make lickers more difficult to hit. That or mess with the aiming a bit. I think Evil Within 2 did a pretty good job of making your aim wobbly but not frustratingly so. In tense situations I never felt too confident in lining up head shots in that game.
It'd only be too easy if they relied on an exact recreation of RE2, which it wouldn't be. The game would be designed around whatever perspective they use, be it first person, third person OTS, third person fixed camera, or isometric twin stick.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even a hardcore fan here, so I imagine people with deeper knowledge of the series could perhaps better elaborate on the identity of the series over time better than I could.

Universe-wise, they're homages to all kinds of classic horror/action movies, albeit 'legitimised' by being grounded in science fiction. Capcom has managed to eke out many recreations of horror sub-genres by being creative with numerous settings and story lines. But they all typically involve-

- Sexy, charismatic young heroes who have had some kind of military expertise, or at the very least know how to handle a gun, working in pairs
- Insidious and shadowy bioweapons corporations creating horrific, destructive monsters
- A motivational theme of heroism, of pushing forward against adversity despite the odds, with dire consequences for those who 'give up' or display poor moral fibre
- A mystery which unfolds from some sort of initial ornate/gothic setting and culminates with a showdown in a lab or similarly high-tech lair
- Lots of guns

Gameplay-wise, they're about sustaining a double-edged sword illusion: That you can be killed easily, but you're also capable of killing just as effectively. Player movements/animations are also often slowed/delayed/exaggerated to heighten tension, and enemy attacks likewise, but the games are always smartly designed around it. Limited items also make the player feel cautious, and wary of screwing up. Series creator Shinji Mikami basically sums up the appeal of Survival Horror as being that moment where your back is to the wall with low health, and you pull off that lucky shot, killing the enemy. It's an exhilarating loop of awkward failure and sweet success, which with practice, soon becomes stacked in the player's favour.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever felt so excited, and simultaneously terrified on a game reveal in my life.

Just show us RE2make already, so I can figure out how I'm going to feel about this game!

Status
Not open for further replies.