• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have high expectations of this.

I only expect REmake 2 to be done with tank control, an unlockable first person story with VR enabled and Resident Evil Outbreak HD remake thrown all together.

So yeah, not expecting much.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
people expecting some Street Fighter announcement are so wrong!.. this has to be Resident Evil related.
the damn finger, the typewriter, RE2 turning 20 years... I mean come on!

Oct 25, 2017
Also in that picture there is a grated or grate fenced area outside the window, wasn't there an area like that in one of the original games?

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im so sick of people complaining if they dont get tank control. What year r u in now? Did u skip gaming for the last 15 years? Anything RE relate become toxic now with all these old fans keep wanting Capcom to build a time machine for them.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im so sick of people complaining if they dont get tank control. What year r u in now? Did u skip gaming for the last 15 years? Anything RE relate become toxic now with all these old fans keep wanting Capcom to build a time machine for them.
Except this is a remake of an old game that uses tank controls so naturally it makes sense to keep the same controls and mechanics, much like REmake did for RE1. Tank controls were part of a larger picture as to what made the game give the fear factor that it did and induce the feeling of panic and helplessness due to their slow nature, you couldn't just escape willy-nilly so it became tense knowing you were almost forced to face some sort of danger(s).

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Why do all the tweets on Resetera just say loading tweet? I can't actually see the tweet itself until I click the link

Is this a bug? It's always been like this though.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
They're making a Remake of a mid-entry game in the series, they ain't rebooting anything. And they're only doing this Remake because the Remaster was so well received and the fans kept asking for it after the REmake. So tell me, who is this game for if not the old fans who like rank controls? Because I don't see it.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Here's the thing: it's high time for them to show REmake 2 and it would make sense at the anniversary. But if the case is that they are not ready show it, that's fine, but they HAVE to be open about it. We have known it's existence for a long time and they should come forward what is going on with it. Of course I hope we get a blowout but I'm fine if they say it's not ready yet and they are planning to reveal it at E3 or whatever.

Just don't do complete silence, that would be the worst.

Oct 25, 2017
They're making a Remake of a mid-entry game in the series, they ain't rebooting anything. And they're only doing this Remake because the Remaster was so well received and the fans kept asking for it after the REmake. So tell me, who is this game for if not the old fans who like rank controls? Because I don't see it.

Capcom never said anything like that

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And they're only doing this Remake because the Remaster was so well received and the fans kept asking for it after the REmake
REmake is 14 years old or something. RE2 is absolutely not a reaction to its reception and nothing suggests they're gonna follow the same formula.People were indeed asking for an RE2 remake and they're making one, possibly as a safer fallback had re7's relatively new direction failed.No one ever said RE2 being had anything to do with REmake

Oct 25, 2017
REmake is 14 years old or something. RE2 is absolutely not a reaction to its reception and nothing suggests they're gonna follow the same formula.People were indeed asking for an RE2 remake and they're making one, possibly as a safer fallback had re7's relatively new direction failed.No one ever said RE2 being had anything to do with REmake

It was pitched by the director of the Remaster, following the success of the Remaster. While that doesn't guarantee anything about his approach to RE2, its existence is absolutely tied to REmake.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was pitched by the director of the Remaster, following the success of the Remaster. While that doesn't guarantee anything about his approach to RE2, its existence is absolutely tied to REmake.

Except REmake is a very old game by itself. Whatever the remaster of the remake sold , it cant be nowhere near enough to convince a modern day version of re2 can succeed on the same footsteps. Unless offcourse its a low budget affair with a success ceiling of 1-2 million units where the name alone will get the job done.
But if i had to put money id say its a big budget game with re4-6 style of gameplay, obviously with some major or minor modifications.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Well after RE7 in VR it's impossible to even go back and play any Resi, Let alone the tank controls of the original games.

i very much doubt they added VR support for RE2 classic.

Oct 25, 2017
So, what? They just randomly decided to remake a random entry of the RE series? Makes sense...

Might be worth doing a wiki check on Resident Evil 2 (reception, sales, the legacy in the gaming scene), and also check many sites for the universal praise of this game, if you like to see reasons why this remake was always going to be on the tables.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Except this is a remake of an old game that uses tank controls so naturally it makes sense to keep the same controls and mechanics, much like REmake did for RE1. Tank controls were part of a larger picture as to what made the game give the fear factor that it did and induce the feeling of panic and helplessness due to their slow nature, you couldn't just escape willy-nilly so it became tense knowing you were almost forced to face some sort of danger(s).

1 Thats the fear factor you have for the game designed in 1998. I seriously doubt it will still work in 2018.

2 RE2 was more action oriented than scary. Even the director of this game hate horror.

3 1 million copies sold can barely call a success when it come to greenlight a totally new project in 2018, yes it is good for remaster when you invest almost nothing. I really realy doubt Capcom will say hey lets capture those almost extinct audience and limit out possible sale by making it super niche again. Lets throw away all newer audience that we have been built for the last 15 years.

Again. Why did RE even get re-design in the first place. Isnt it becausw old game was dying? Hate RE4 or other post game all you want but without that this series wont even survive until now. Hell it is even the reason why it survive long enough to get the remake2 treatment.

But i guess we will see soon enough. I dont personally mind old school game because i was a fan since the first one from 1996. But the world has moved on. Im not sure i will still be enjoy as it was at this time of my life. Too much clunky and limitation.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So, what? They just randomly decided to remake a random entry of the RE series? Makes sense...

I'm probably just feeding a troll here, but Resident Evil 2 was often requested to be remade for over 10 years before it was announced doing to the following factors:

*It is the second game in the series, the first game was already remade to great response so people wanted them to remake the second game in a similar vein.
*Resident Evil 2 is the top-selling classic horror game of all time, it's also Capcom's fourth best selling game of all time and established the survival-horror genre for many due to its timing, exposure, and spread.
*It's considered by many fans in the series to be the best game in the franchise, it's often cited among REmake and RE4 as the 'Trilogy' of best entries in the franchise (or at least was, I don't think RE7 is old enough to know how it factors into this).

While it's not my favorite entry in the series or anything, a remake of it certainly isn't "random", it is literally the top-selling classic-styled horror game of all time, there is literally no horror game that released from 1980-2005 that sold more than RE2. There is nostalgic value there for many people which makes it a more marketably sensible decision to choose remake.

Oct 25, 2017
Might be worth doing a wiki check on Resident Evil 2 (reception, sales, the legacy in the gaming scene), and also check many sites for the universal praise of this game, if you like to see reasons why this remake was always going to be on the tables.

Agreed , Resident Evil 2 along with Final Fantasy VII are the top two requested games to be remade since a long time ago

Last edited:

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Why do all the tweets on Resetera just say loading tweet? I can't actually see the tweet itself until I click the link

Is this a bug? It's always been like this though.

It is probably because you have a "do not track me" policy enabled on your browser, either that or some ad-blocker, or related with that. If you use Firefox you can generally enable it, and whitelist some sites from that protection, or enable/disable occasionally when you want some media to get loaded, that's what I do.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I would not mind it if it they choose FPS.. i already experienced the game with thank control and fixed camera back on the PSX. If they remake it then i would like a fresh new experience. FPS or TPS like resi 4 is perfectly fine imo.. just double down on the horror and dont make it to much action.. the first 70% of Resi 7 was perfect.. dont see why this wont work with Resi 2

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

The decision to remake RE2 has more to do with the success of REmake and Zero's remasters.

REmake, and just the PS4 version, became one of Capcom's fastest selling digital releases, and sold over one million units. This was the third release of a game from 2002.

The remake of RE2 was announced in response to the sales of the remastered versions of the tank control games. It has a similar staff as that of the remastered versions of REmake and Zero. The fact a near-13 year old game did that well and convinced Capcom's team to try to do the same for RE2 really says it all.

Besides, Capcom is aware that the series means lots of things to lots of people. The Revelation games were made in response to the action-heavy RE5 and RE6, and RE7 was made as a response to fans saying recent games lost all of the connection to what made the original so special. Capcom can very clearly make whatever they want, and I imagine if REmake 2 is designed like the older games, you'll find something modern with something like RE8, which was more or less implied to be in development as RE7 was a "new beginning" for a series of games. It was already implied to be "very different from RE7" but I'm not sure if this statement was made in relation to REmake 2 or an entirely different game.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My position on the camera angle debate really is this: it just doesn't matter anymore. The game is what it is now, and is on the verge of being revealed. We can all either accept it for what it is, or refuse to play it because Calvin didn't give us the camera perspective we wanted. I badly wanted a fixed camera REmake for RE2, but I can't refuse to play this game just because it's over the shoulder, etc. I just can't do that, so that's where I'm at.

I've wanted a new fixed camera angle Horror game for years, as I absolutely love what it brings to the table, visually. It allows the developers to talior make everything the player sees, and the way in which they are it, and so many classic moments and scares in the older games wouldn't work without them. People say they're "bad", "outdated", etc., but I don't believe that's the case at all. They're just different from what people are used to now, that's all. There's nothing "bad" about them.

I feel the same way about Tank Controls. They aren't "bad", just different. You can't strafe, but if the game isn't designed around strafing, and there's never really a moment where you need such an ability, does that really make the controls "bad"? Same thing with not being able to move and shoot. I mean, you wouldn't call RE7's controls bad, just because you can't jump in that game, would you? Of course not, because the game wasn't designed around being able to jump, and there's never a moment where you need to do so. Also, just as an aside, you can totally do fixed camera without Tank Controls, as many games (DMC, God of War, SH 2-4, Fatal Frame 1-3, Until Dawn, etc.) have shown.

Part of the reason I was so excited for RE2Make wasn't because it was a REmake of RE2, but because it was a chance to bring fixed camera angle Horror games back to the limelight. I also just generally feel a Remake should be faithful to the original in some capacity, as otherwise, why call it a Remake? Even so, for various reasons, I've gotten the impression that RE2Make won't have the original perspective due to being a big budget game. Calvin likely simply doesn't believe there are enough people out there who want a REmake with fixed camera angles and Tank Controls, and don't consider them "bad". If they did, RE7 would've been in the Classic style instead of First-person. I've simply finally accepted that this REmake isn't what I wanted it to be, and will try to think of it as a new RE game, rather than a REmake.

tetopeto

Oct 30, 2017
SP / Brazil
If RE2make uses the RE7 engine, they would need to find real life actors that look like Leon, Claire, Ada and rest for the engine to work, right? I think that would feel a little weird just like with Chris in RE7. I hope they can model the characters how they want and not be limited by photogrammetry, in RE7 they even had to make Jack's head in real life to scan it. I don't think that would work with the RE2 cast of characters.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Well then you tell me.

What's RE identity?

Because from what I have played, the series has been all over the place in the last few years.

It depends on what period you're talking of, but you can find an identity.

From 1997 to about 2004 was the more traditional identity of the series as a survival horror franchise. Most of the titles here focused on fixed cameras, tank controls, watching your ammo, and mostly seemed to follow RE1's formula. Even FPS spin-offs like Dead Aim and Survivor tried to stay similar to the original games despite the different perspective and having infinite pistol ammo.

From 2005 to 2009 is when the series emphasized much more action. RE4 and 5 were the dominant titles of this time, but even spin-off primarily focused on shooting as the centerpiece with the themes from prior games slowly being left in the backseat. The Chronicles games were straight up House of the Dead clones, contrasting prior FPS takes on the series, Even the canonical film at the time followed this approach of being all flair and action.

Form 2010 to 2016 is when I'd say the series straight up didn't have a focus. You had games within their own games show levels of inconsistency, and RE6 is a flagship example of this. This approach of not having a particular focus harmed spin-offs the most, such as Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps. The Revelations games came the closest of trying to mix the slower-paced style of the originals with a more action-paced style of more recent games, and at the very least did it better than the mess that was RE6.

2017 so far seems to be an attempt to "return to form" in terms of themes of the original games, despite emphasizing a perspective you'd assume would lean it more to the modern end and emphasize action. Granted it kind of does with RE7's two recent DLCs, but it had more to do with RE1 than RE4 in terms of themes, pacing, and feel. RE1 has enemies where they'd be a surprise and appear to be a threat, so even encountering just one enemy was an obstacle, whereas in RE4 the threat was really the concern of mobs and particular enemies within those mobs.

I'm not even a hardcore fan here, so I imagine people with deeper knowledge of the series could perhaps better elaborate on the identity of the series over time better than I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.