• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They announced it literally hours after management greenlited it (July 2015). Today games take 3-4 years to make. If RE2make comes Q1 or Q2 2019 it'll perfectly normal dev time.
I'm not saying it should be done already but to not even see anything at this point is silly, not a trailer, not a teaser, not a screen, nothing.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Extremely low expectations, that's the way to go with Capcom.

RE7 for other VR devices, new downloadable contents for RE7 or a re-release for Xbox and that's it.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I *think* RE8 should go with two main scenarios. First just like RE7 with new protagonist and heavily horror focused. Second with returning character, that plays like Not A Hero - still very much horror, but obviously slightly injected with action.
I'd like that, get a bit of Side A and Side B going again.
Ethan was a common complaint not because he was a new character (there were many memorable and likeable new characters in the series, Moira being the most recent one), but because he was a boring character. Capcom tried to make an ordinary everyman, but in the process he was just boring. Not having many people to talk to in order to build him up, or even having a good design (all you see during the game is his arm and maybe torso) didn't really help.

The problem with Ethan is that Capcom tried to minimise his interactions so that the user could better insert themselves as the protagonist. Which would have been fine, except for the fact they gave him a very personal story involving his family. So you end up with someone completely devoid of emotion which is incongruent to the affective journey he should be going through.
Gotcha, so they focused too much on self-insertion and as a result, he's got a severely gimped personality. Then, hopefully they inject some personality for whomever is the protagonist of RE8.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keeping real low expectations for re2 remake. I am expecting a bad clunky tps like 4,5,6. But the last two good Capcom products were really good. MHW and RE7 was both old school capcom.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Capcom is facing a real dilemma because they don't know the target audience for Resident Evil anymore. They established too many styles for the series, each of them had their fanbase. So you will clearly piss off people again and again. The problem is, Capcom is fearing pissing people off and they would please everyone like they tried it with 6. Ironically, it became one of their best selling games of all time even long after the bad publicity was over and new Consoles were released, Resident Evil 6 continued selling.

They weren't fully happy with how Resident Evil 7 performed, the game was little behind the numbers Capcom wished for (possible that the game reached these numbers now). Announcing REmake 2 in 2015 was as hilarious as many other early announcements like Death Stranding and the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but at least, the games had showed something. There are still a few pessimistic people I know around who are thinking REmake 2 was silently cancelled (still don't see a legit reason for that though).

People thought, after they are done with Resident Evil 7, they will concentrate to marketing REmake2. Nothing happened. Then people thought, they will reveal a huge pile of content after Monster Hunter World is released. Again, nothing happened with the exception of a few cryptic Social Media teaser.

And I will go even futher: If Capcom is announcing something Resident Evil related the next months, it will not be REmake 2 material.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like that, get a bit of Side A and Side B going again.

Gotcha, so they focused too much on self-insertion and as a result, he's got a severely gimped personality. Then, hopefully they inject some personality for whomever is the protagonist of RE8.
They literally go out of the way just to block his face and yet gave him a personal story that felt like a journey.
It was one of the weirdest game choices I have seen in a long time.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, REmake 2 exists because people wanted a remake of Res2 just like the remake of Res1. If they change everything and try to make something like RE4-RE6, 90% of the people will hate it.

I love action RE, but a remake of the second game like that is not something people want.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keeping real low expectations for re2 remake. I am expecting a bad clunky tps like 4,5,6. But the last two good Capcom products were really good. MHW and RE7 was both old school capcom.
Imagine having an opinion like this one right here.
393085130219978752.png

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
And I will go even futher: If Capcom is announcing something Resident Evil related the next months, it will not be REmake 2 material.
Now, this much I do agree with. I'm more inclined to believe that we'll see the successor to Revelations (or something on a similar scale) before we'll see any hints of REmake2.

It'd go along with the idea that Capcom will have the next DMC game be its main chariot for this go around, while other titles of various tier scales like MM11, the next Sengoku BASARA title and another RE spin-off round out the release calendar, along with a possible major year-end update for World.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It gets tiring to face the discussion of "TPS = Action shooters/FPS = Outlast horror" over and over again, but i feel like many people would be surprised with how different approaches and in this case, other camera angles can translate into a proper survival horror title with the right amount of experimentation and feedback. It lacks a little bit of vision and context to just straight up express that these formats are limited to a very specific set of genres.

Even while noboby is contesting the effectiveness of the fixed camera angles, we never really saw a pure attempt of bringing that "SH" structure and atmospheric attention to detail with the over the shoulder perspective. And the ones which are very close to that direction nowadays (Dead Space, TEW or even some sections of RE4), were able to execute genuine tense encounters and oppressive environments using the action horror formula. A lot of fans would even call some of those examples "the best" survival horror experiences in today's standards, despite its differences and perspectives.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Resident Evil 4 even has the perfect blueprint for a third person version of the classic gameplay formula. With the right foucus and amount of care (and a few tweaks/restrictions here and there), it could be the perfect way to embrace what RE2 was in a more interactive and approachable way. The RE team has proven recently that they are capable and talented enough to make it work with FP in 7, while the RE Engine seems powerful as hell and has the potential to reach that detailed and highly atmospheric experience from classic RE titles.

And while i agree that fixed camera angle games are not simply outdated and could work even in today's standards (Until Dawn and HD REmaster for an example), it's fair to note that the Resident Evil franchise has outgrown its roots by a large margin, and using the Resi 2's name and popularity nowadays it could not only reach a lot more people by using the over the shoulder perspective, but be the perfect bridge for more modern and classic fans. Just like RE7 was that blend of the original's structure with the first person view, a remake of 2, basically 20 years after its release, should be able to appeal and be played by both crowds.

REmake was its own special thing on 2002, but REmake 2 could be something beyond that in 2018/2019.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it should be done already but to not even see anything at this point is silly, not a trailer, not a teaser, not a screen, nothing.

Capcom doesn't reveal major titles outside of major events and only less than a year away from release anymore. And it seems to be working fine. Certainly not any worse than their previous PR strategies.

Now, this much I do agree with. I'm more inclined to believe that we'll see the successor to Revelations (or something on a similar scale) before we'll see any hints of REmake2.

It'd go along with the idea that Capcom will have the next DMC game be its main chariot for this go around, while other titles of various tier scales like MM11, the next Sengoku BASARA title and another RE spin-off round out the release calendar, along with a possible major year-end update for World.

I think RE2make is further along than the successor to Revelations 2.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I want it to be fixed camera angles. Cant see why they would do anything other than that to be honest.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
99% chance the game will be TPS and there is nothing wrong with that. Dead Space and TEW showed us that TPS can also be great horror games.

If RE2R wasn't TPS, i would prefer it as FPS because the idea of revisiting such game as FPS is very interesting. According to relyhorror (via 4chan but shared their own too) they experimented a little on that but prefered to not go with it.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that after FF7R not being the same as its originator in terms of gameplay should have gotten people used to the idea of that happening for RE2R

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
Did you miss all the conversation in the thread lol.
There's a lot of explanations why it might not be.

I just don't think it makes sense given the layout and design of the game to do anything but fixed cameras. Unless they redesign most of the game I just cant see it happening.

Could be wrong. I'll play it whatever happens lol

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Ethan was a common complaint not because he was a new character (there were many memorable and likeable new characters in the series, Moira being the most recent one), but because he was a boring character. Capcom tried to make an ordinary everyman, but in the process he was just boring. Not having many people to talk to in order to build him up, or even having a good design (all you see during the game is his arm and maybe torso) didn't really help.

i'm wondering if REmake 2 is going to use their new RE engine
because ethan and every character in re7 looked so photo realistic, i kinda worry that they will ruin the design of the main re2 cast

resident evil characters have always looked very stylized

in terms of camera, i was always pro fixed camera angles and a very 1:1 remake of the game, but now i'm thinking i'd probably have more fun playing the game if it is OTS

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
i'm wondering if REmake 2 is going to use their new RE engine
because ethan and every character in re7 looked so photo realistic, i kinda worry that they will ruin the design of the main re2 cast

resident evil characters have always looked very stylized

in terms of camera, i was always pro fixed camera angles and a very 1:1 remake of the game, but now i'm thinking i'd probably have more fun playing the game if it is OTS

I think Chris in many ways was the sacrifice for the rest of the cast. I don't think any of the other cast will have such a drastic change in look as Chris got.
Not after the sheer amount of feedback Chris had.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I get that Capcom might want to increase sales for REmake 2 by making it more accessible to players with a third-person perspective but, again, I don't see why Capcom can't accept all three playstyles for Resident Evil games. If you think about it, in the long run, having REmake 2 with fixed angles, TPS Revelations 3, and RE8 as whatever will be much better for everyone involved (also sales wise).

If they're so concerned about wanting to get a lot of money out of REmake 2, then I'd rather they reduce the budget for it if it means we can get fixed camera angles.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Until Dawn is the only recent bigger budget game that uses fixed camera angles extensively, but there is sprinkles of some of its usage in more recent examples. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares had an easter egg which made the mansion section of it have fixed camera angles, Silent Hill Downpour used fixed camera angles for some specific scenes in the game (the two I most recall being this one series of rooms in the Radio Tower and the movie theater side-quest), The Evil within 1 VERY SPARINGLY used a few through its course, but they were all brief (the one I recall the most is the first time you awaken in the hospital where you upgrade, save, etc., the opening of that when you get out of bed uses a fixed camera angle until you step out of the room), Alice: Madness Returns used them in a few scenes, etc. Narrative Driven games funnily enough use fixed camera angles more than horror games though, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls used them in several cases for example, as do the TellTale games (and of course, the after mentioned Until Dawn). There's examples of it being used in sparse places in some bigger profile indie games as well, such as Brothers: A Tale of Two Songs (and more recently A Way Out), there was an interesting take on it in one scene of What Remains of Edith Finch, and some other examples.

But fixed camera angles have become a rare breed, it kinda' died out when survival-horror games did due to over saturation of the market with them.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom is facing a real dilemma because they don't know the target audience for Resident Evil anymore. They established too many styles for the series, each of them had their fanbase. So you will clearly piss off people again and again. The problem is, Capcom is fearing pissing people off and they would please everyone like they tried it with 6. Ironically, it became one of their best selling games of all time even long after the bad publicity was over and new Consoles were released, Resident Evil 6 continued selling.

They weren't fully happy with how Resident Evil 7 performed, the game was little behind the numbers Capcom wished for (possible that the game reached these numbers now). Announcing REmake 2 in 2015 was as hilarious as many other early announcements like Death Stranding and the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but at least, the games had showed something. There are still a few pessimistic people I know around who are thinking REmake 2 was silently cancelled (still don't see a legit reason for that though).

People thought, after they are done with Resident Evil 7, they will concentrate to marketing REmake2. Nothing happened. Then people thought, they will reveal a huge pile of content after Monster Hunter World is released. Again, nothing happened with the exception of a few cryptic Social Media teaser.

Just like how Nintendo releases 2D Mario and 3D Mario every generation, Capcom could brand the different flavors as horror and action brands. I think both flavors have big enough markets to be viable.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everytime i see this thread bumped.... :(

So, RE2 Remake in the Sony Conference and DMC5 in TGS?

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Everytime i see this thread bumped.... :(

So, RE2 Remake in the Sony Conference and DMC5 in TGS?

The amount of floor space is the main thing giving me hope that both are at E3.
AS much space, if not more than when they had MHW (With a dragon) and MVCI (with a ultron sigma throne).
Like, you don't need that much space if all you have is MM11 (A budget game) and DMCV along with ports and such.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Two capcom reveals at sony now? Hmmmm
Well, I could see both DMC5 and REmake 2 being at Sony E3.

Remake is technically already announced and if we are going by them rumours DMC5 was supposed to be revealed back at PSX. It wouldn't really be that much different than what they did last year (MH:W+MVC:I at Sony stage).

But that said it's impossible to really say if REmake will be at E3 at all, if we read between the lines Capcom is only releasing DMC5 this financial year. Remake 2 could theoretically release much closer to holidays and if that is the case then they might not resurface the game until late this year.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I could see a similar timeline for DMC5 & REmake 2 as we saw with MVC:I and MHW. One comes before this year is over and the other comes out the top of next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.