• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
The wii was also vastly inferior to other consoles. Capcom released 4 exclusive games and a Dead Rising downgraded port.
The 3ds received a Street Fighter 4 Port where the backgrounds are static.
Capcom had this gen an ugly game that was created in the Unreal engine that was easily ported to the switch but choose not to.
The only game that had the switch in mind was megaman 11. That is less suport with games released this gen than MICROSOFT and EA.
Well hopefully with the success the Switch is having lately, Capcom will reconsider and wisen up! They would be fools not to do so.

There is a market they can tap in, but more importantly reaching more players to play their games on a unique platform like the Switch is just a lot of potential for sure.

I just can't shake off the fact the hardware is lacking a bit and that that is the main hindrance of why we have this current situation.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Are you? Lol.

Capcom typically releases the XB1 versions of their multiplatform games in Japan. Hell, even MvCI's XB1 version was released in Japan. MHW was the only outlier, & that's supposedly due to Sony's console exclusivity over the game in Asian markets (including Japan).

I'm not saying there's no console exclusivity in Asia, though I don't know that for a fact and neither do you, the point is even if Capcom did release Monster Hunter on the Xbox in Asia it wouldn't move the needle. The less than 2 million units you see in the OP are from the Xbox's BIGGEST MARKET, yet they still manage scraps. Releasing the game in a market where the system doesn't exist at all would not move the needle. You may argue that it would have, Capcom thought otherwise. I'll go with their expertise over yours.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did Capcom manage to push almost 2 million retail copies on Switch? Seriously... how?

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Didn't Capcom receive a huge amount of money from Microsoft to put DMCV on GamePass? If that's the case, I don't think they are too worried about the physical units sold tbh.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Are you? Lol.

I'm not saying there's no console exclusivity in Asia, though I don't know that for a fact and neither do you, the point is even if Capcom did release Monster Hunter on the Xbox in Asia it wouldn't move the needle. The less than 2 million units you see in the OP are from the Xbox's BIGGEST MARKET, yet they still manage scraps. Releasing the game in a market where the system doesn't exist at all would not move the needle. You may argue that it would have, Capcom thought otherwise. I'll go with their expertise over yours.
Yet, outside of MHW, Capcom still releases their XB1 games in Japan.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bunch of old ports going up against a new monster hunter, this shouldn't be that shocking.
Fair enough, I read it like he was surprised by this, which would be strange. My mistake there.
he's surprised the gap isn't bigger.
although I believe whatever fighting games have come to Switch have also been doing really well
Eh... Define "really well"

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Is there a reason why SF6 would have a better split than what is presented above? Are there such better splits for earlier SF games on XBOX?

What is presented above is kinda skewed by Monster hunter, isn't it?

Mainstream fighting games like SF should undoubtedly have a better ratio, at least enough to make an exclusive deal an expensive proposition.

Even worse if you're talking about a fully exclusive deal like SF5 that prevents the possibility of a Switch port.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
FY 2019 were mostly ports, but at least some of them showed some effort and their pricing was mostly reasonable.

In 2020 FY (not covered here) Switch numbers will drop significantly, since Capcom's FY 2020 offerings for Switch were just lower effort overpriced ports, and even less were with any retail presence.

Although if the Witcher 3 is possible on a Switch, anything is possible and Capcom is not doing their best!! /s.
I actually agree, I would just drop the /s...

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Ultra Street Figher and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 all sold 500k in a few months. Capcom mentionned that the Street Fighter Collection sold well too.

All three 1st party games sold great too (Pokkén, ARMS and Smash).
Yeh generally - as in looking at all the third party fighting games released on the system - I'd say they did well, not "really well".

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
FY 2019 were mostly ports, but at least some of them showed some effort and their pricing was mostly reasonable.

In 2020 FY (not covered here) Switch numbers will drop significantly, since Capcom's FY 2020 offerings for Switch were just lower effort overpriced ports, and even less were with any retail presence.

I actually agree, I would just drop the /s...
I ain't removing the /s because you can't ignore that TW3 running on Switch hardware isn't exactly buttery smooth. It's miracle work.

Wonder if the Switch Pro is still coming...🤔

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
So many games sold on Switch despite Capcom released not one big game and mostly very low effort ports, and the yet relatively low install base compared to the other consoles.

It's a lost opportunity for Capcom.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I ain't removing the /s because you can't ignore that TW3 running on Switch hardware isn't exactly buttery smooth. It's miracle work.

TW3 running on Switch may not be buttery smooth, but my reasoning for removing the /s is that Witcher 3 was far more difficult to port than whatever Capcom had (had they wanted to).

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

Smooth? Witcher3 framerate is practically the same as on base PS4/XOne, just with lower resolution. Its no miracle, but what should be given the Switch specs and some porting effort. But Witcher3 is far more difficult to port than everything Capcom has to offer.

Capcom did not even try to port games properly to Switch. Thats why almost all ports from Capcom are disappointing.

The very high sales of these Switch games from Capcom are not deserved.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
LMAO how can XBO sell less software than a bunch of overpriced ports when it has RE2R, MHW and DMC5.
Yeah I don't know what on earth Capcom is thinking. I honestly can't imagine looking at this data and not thinking something is fundamentally wrong with their strategy here. What even do they release physically on the switch during this period. The results are absurd.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Two out three of those are on Gamepass.
They didn't get on the gamepass day 1 though? The fan base just doesn't like to buy these games it seems.
Smooth? Witcher3 framerate is practically the same as on base PS4/XOne, just with lower resolution. Its no miracle, but what should be given the Switch specs and some porting effort. But Witcher3 is far more difficult to port than everything Capcom has to offer.

Capcom did not even try to port games properly to Switch. Thats why almost all ports from Capcom are disappointing.

The very high sales of these Switch games from Capcom are not deserved.
Well I think Capcom will wisen up eventually. The Switch is still selling like hotcakes.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
This tells us that many people who bought Xbox are either not interested in Capcom games or have moved on to other platforms as their primary console and buying Capcom games there. I'm in the latter... I'm almost obsessed with Nintendo Switch now that my kids are also into games.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much reinforces itself. If you were interested in japanese games why would you get an Xbox over PS4. And then of course less reason to put more of those kinds of releases on Xbox in the first place.

Not true. At the start of last generation the 360 actually had more Japanese games than the PS3 in the west. They sold so poorly that they reversed everything.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Baseless speculation, im tired of these when it comes to MHW.
Well based speculation you mean. It's just based on the sales data we have:

Q1: 7.9m
Q2: 0.4m
Q3: 2.4m (PC launch)
Q4: 1.2m
Q5: 0.5m
Q6: 0.7m

Legs appear largely attributable to PC. But don't take my word for it.

Capcom said:
Additionally, the launch of the PC version of Monster Hunter: World resulted in an additional 4.5 million units sold, bringing the cumulative total for the title to 12.4 million units.

FY3/2019

Fiscal Year ending March 2019

It's mentioned in the OP a few times.
No, I'm referring to MHW's second fiscal year.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well based speculation you mean. It's just based on the sales data we have:

Q1: 7.9m
Q2: 0.4m
Q3: 2.4m (PC launch)
Q4: 1.2m
Q5: 0.5m
Q6: 0.7m

Legs appear largely attributable to PC. But don't take my word for it.
You're suggesting that the game sold close to 0 in over a year on 2 platforms, does that seriously sound reasonable to you? Nothing in the data above helps with that.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Funny statement.

PS4 is keeping the boat afloat because it's where Capcom are releasing their games. It's proportional.

They dont support Switch so why would they be making most of their money on that platform? They release scraps they get scraps. They also have exclusive deals with Sony to pretend that MHW Xbox doesn't exist (and it doesn't in Japan).
I'd hardly say 1.95M is scraps. They get way more than reasonably should be expected from the limited retail effort they put in.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know what on earth Capcom is thinking. I honestly can't imagine looking at this data and not thinking something is fundamentally wrong with their strategy here. What even do they release physically on the switch during this period. The results are absurd.

Really these numbers reinforce how good their strategy is. Low effort with high reward.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
And this is relevant to what I said how exactly?
Unless I misinterpreted, your argument is that Capcom just didn't release it on XB1 since it wouldn't be worth the effort. And while you'd probably be correct in any other instance, Capcom's support of the system in Japan for other games lends more credence towards Sony having a deal in place for exclusivity in Asia.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
It seems a bit strange that everyone here is surprised by this "bad" Xbox sales considering the following facts:

- MHW (the biggest Capcom PS4/XB1 game) is on GamePass
- MHW marketing campaign was all about making it seem non-existent on XB1 (and yet it still managed to sell 1m+ there without having prior games on the platform)
- PS4 consoles sold more than twice the amount of XB1
- Quite a large chunk of PS4 game sales are from Japan where Xbox gets nothing
- 9 SKUs vs 21 SKUs
- If you can see even in PS3/360 days, the ratio was 2:1 in favor of Sony's console despite equal install base
- Digital to physical sales ratio is higher in Xbox

So, given all that facts, is that 4:1, 5:1 ratio really a surprise?

P.S. Quite disappointing that lots of people in this thread are just using Xbox sales numbers to somewhat beg Capcom for dropping Xbox support for some reason.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Really these numbers reinforce how good their strategy is. Low effort with high reward.
That's assuming they can keep this up when even the Japanese market is becoming less responsive to these ports. If that's also true worldwide they're collectively turning off a revenue source from their output.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You're suggesting that the game sold close to 0 in over a year on 2 platforms, does that seriously sound reasonable to you? Nothing in the data above helps with that.
Obviously it has sold more than 0 in this timeframe but sales are undoubtedly low. The only region we have granular data for is Japan but it only sold around 73k there on PS4/XBO after global PC launch.

The above data shows a steep dropoff countered by the PC launch and following stabilized legs. My interpretation of that is hardly controversial. We'll have better insight when we get more data for Iceborne which should finally push the old console releases a bit.