• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
This comes from Capcom's 2020 Integrated Annual Report:

Screenshot_20210127-1847072.png

For the fiscal year ending March 2020, Capcom shipped 3.3 million units of packaged software (comprised of 8 SKUs) for PS4, 1.15 million units of packaged software for Switch (comprised of 8 SKUs) and 300 thousand units of packaged software (comprised of 2 SKUs) for Xbox One.

Note that Packaged software does not include digital downloads.

You'll see further down the list that there is full-game downloads, that means everything that is a digital version of a game is counted there. There is no breakdown by platform for full-game downloads.

Screenshot_20210127-1850102.png

For the fiscal year ending March 2020:

Packaged software shipped = 4.95M units
Packaged software sales = 12.9B yen

Full-game downloads = 20.55M units
Digital sales = 42.6B yen

It should be noted that digital sales should be referring to both full-game downloads and DLC as can be seen from the segment information for Digital Contents:

Screenshot_20210127-1848202.png

I couldn't find the latest main pipeline information so here is the one from the previous year, see the titles listed on the far right column for what released for the fiscal year ending March 2020:

unknown.png

Previous threads:

2019: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...-shipments-retail-ps4-switch-xbox-one.147124/

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If Capcom shipped out only 300K of XB1 titles, that means whatever non-sense people had about "Minimum 250K Print Run Needed" is off and MS might've actually lowered it from wherever it was prior (This would be the second time lowering it, since we know they lowered it once before after shovel knight happened).

As on the Xbox side of things I've noticed 2 things lately
- A lot more physical XB1 titles of smaller fare that definitely isn't getting large print runs
- A lot of physical XB1 titles (Some not that old) being pretty much sold out if you want "new" not from a third party seller and higher than MSRP

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
1.15 million copies of Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil collections of Switch sounds impressive to me. Bunch of old games selling really well. And it's just the physical versions.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Has Capcom had any major releases this FY at all? RE3R landed in April, right? Other than that, the big release for the FY is still to come with MHR. This could very well be the FY in which Switch SW leads the packaged sales for the first time.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Digital to package Ratio. 80:20

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has Capcom had any major releases this FY at all? RE3R landed in April, right? Other than that, the big release for the FY is still to come with MHR. This could very well be the FY in which Switch SW leads the packaged sales for the first time.

Only other thing they have is GnG and that will be exclusive on switch for a couple of months.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You know, i find it extremely awkward that retail Switch is higher than XBox, given there's almost zero retail releases from Capcom in the whole Europe region ...

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, i find it extremely awkward that retail Switch is higher than XBox, given there's almost zero retail releases from Capcom in the whole Europe region ...

"1.15 million units of packaged software for Switch (comprised of 8 SKUs) and 300 thousand units of packaged software (comprised of 2 SKUs) for Xbox One."

There were less sku for Xbox

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That Digital to package Ratio. 80:20

Going by the leak thread, Capcom is purposefully angling things to go digital. Which I guess is why stuff like Ghost N' Goblins despite being $30 bucks is digital only. We're going to get to a point where Capcom only releases the "AAA" stuff physical to maximize profit unless it's a port of something they expect to have long legs.

To be fair, that's kinda where we're at already outside Japan.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
"1.15 million units of packaged software for Switch (comprised of 8 SKUs) and 300 thousand units of packaged software (comprised of 2 SKUs) for Xbox One."

There were less sku for Xbox
True, but the fact that they only restocked 2 skus suggests that there wasn't a need for new stock for other games, which leads back to the same position that I think was being hinted towards (namely that the Switch software is selling much better).

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's very odd to me that software increased so much YoY in 2018 for PS4, but dropped significantly in the same year for XB1. That's the year MHW released, so I'd expect both platforms to be up YoY.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going by the leak thread, Capcom is purposefully angling things to go digital. Which I guess is why stuff like Ghost N' Goblins despite being $30 bucks is digital only. We're going to get to a point where Capcom only releases the "AAA" stuff physical to maximize profit unless it's a port of something they expect to have long legs.

To be fair, that's kinda where we're at already outside Japan.

Oh definitely agree. Now with digital consoles its only going to increase further.

I guess they pointed out digital legs for RE3 and Iceborne being main revenue drivers due to higher margins

Also Iceborne also has a surprisingly higher split in JP as per leaks (71%)

True, but the fact that they only restocked 2 skus suggests that there wasn't a need for new stock for other games, which leads back to the same position that I think was being hinted towards (namely that the Switch software is selling much better).

I feel few of the key titles like MHW and other Capcom Games being on Gamepass reduced it further but i agree with here

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne vs 5 old Resident Evil port

I doubt iceborne having a much of a physical presence but anyways i was sharing another perspective

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
It's very odd to me that software increased so much YoY in 2018 for PS4, but dropped significantly in the same year for XB1. That's the year MHW released, so I'd expect both platforms to be up YoY.
Monster Hunter World released as a PS4 console exclusive in the Asia region including Japan, so that might have played a factor into the sales.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Are the numbers mentioned for CY or FY? Because in the latter case MHW is 2017.

Doesn't negate the fact that the different trajectories are very weird, of course.

Edit: Just saw the fine print that it's FY. This makes the PS4 numbers weirdly high, and the XB1 ones logical I'd say

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how these low Xbox software sales are probably a blessing for MS because it makes it much cheaper for them to add content to GamePass.

If you expect to sell next to nothing on Xbox, it's much easier to just be done with it and get at least some money upfront instead of the slow drip of sales.

Jan 8, 2021
I doubt iceborne having a much of a physical presence but anyways i was sharing another perspective
Probably Iceborne is not very effective in physical sales as you said. I mean, sales seem low on Xbox due to digital sales and game pass. I think the difference in the number of games released on consoles is not very effective this year.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how these low Xbox software sales are probably a blessing for MS because it makes it much cheaper for them to add content to GamePass.

If you expect to sell next to nothing on Xbox, it's much easier to just be done with it and get at least some money upfront instead of the slow drip of sales.

I was thinking about this some time ago. I wonder if they will come a time when games won't get released on Xbox because of expectation that it has to be on gamepass to be viable. Something like Sega did with Yakuza and SE with DQXIS may be the way to go for some publishers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

I think a big thing for MS and certain content is definitely going to be "Hey, if you put on gamepass we'll pay you enough that it covers the port cost and you STILL make a profit from it. Plus you'll get the usual cut from any copies sold too".