• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom had updated its Platinum list today , SinCItyAssassin made great Job covering the Games and Series sales changes in Platinum page in that thread

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...-sfv-arcade-3-7m-dmcv-2-5m-more.133679/page-2

So here I will list the sales ranking of Major Capcom Series and Top 10 Capcom games

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

- The Following Games Lists are based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions in it , There might be missing Versions for some games :

Top 10 Capcom games based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions :

Street Fighter II - 14.05M
Monster Hunter World - 13.1M
Resident Evil 5 - 11.2M
Street Fighter IV - 9M
Resident Evil 6 - 9M
Monster Hunter 4 - 8.3M
Monster Hunter Generations - 7.5M
Resident Evil 4 - 7.4M
Resident Evil 7 - 6.6M
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - 6.2M

Resident Evil games Ranking based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions :

Resident Evil 5 - 11.2M
Resident Evil 6 - 9M
Resident Evil 4 - 7.4M
Resident Evil 7 - 6.6M
Resident Evil - 5M
Resident Evil 2 - 4.9M
Resident Evil 2 Remake - 4.5M
Resident Evil Remake - 3.7M
Resident Evil 3 - 3.5M
Resident Evil 0 - 3.4M
Resident Evil CV - 2.5M
Resident Evil ORC - 2.5M
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 2.4M
Resident Evil Revelations - 1.9M
Resident Evil Outbreak - 1.4M
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - 1.3M

Devil May Cry games Ranking based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions :

Devil May Cry 4 - 3M
Devil May Cry V - 2.5M
DmC Devil May Cry - 2.4M
Devil May Cry 3 - 2.3M
Devil May Cry - 2.16M
Devil May Cry 2 - 1.7M
Devil May Cry HD Collection - 1.2M

Street Fighter games Ranking based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions :

Street Fighter IV - 9M
Street Fighter V - 3.7M
Street Fighter X Tekken - 1.8M
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 1M

Monster Hunter games Ranking based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions :

Monster Hunter World - 13.1M
Monster Hunter 4 - 8.3M
Monster Hunter Generations - 7.5M
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - 6.2m
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 - 4.9M
Monster Hunter 3 - 4.5M
Monster Hunter Freedom - 1.3M

Dead Rising games Ranking based only on Platinum list by combining all available versions :

Dead Rising 2 - 3.1M
Dead Rising 3 - 2.7M
Dead Rising - 1.8M
Dead Rising 2 Off the Record - 1.4M
Dead Rising 4 - 1M

Last edited:

Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The even numbered Street Fighter games always do the best.

Glad DR4 isn't moving at all. Can't wait to see how Capcom brings back the series.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
MH seems to be their only franchise that is consistently growing.

RE peaked at 5 with declines since, DMC is about on par it feels, Dead Rising 4 is the worst selling one, Street Fighter V is way down from 4.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Street Fighter IV - 9M
Street Fighter V - 3.7M
Street Fighter X Tekken - 1.8M
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 1M

Considering SFIV can be purchased on at least six different platforms (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, PC, and 3DS) and SFV can only be purchased on two (PS4 and PC), SFVs sales are respectable. I imagine it will be closing in on half of SFIV's lifetime sales by the end of the generation (I'm expecting SFV to cross the 4 million mark before 2020).

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Considering SFIV can be purchased on at least six different platforms (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, PC, and 3DS) and SFV can only be purchased on two (PS4 and PC), SFVs sales are respectable. I imagine it will be closing in on half of SFIV's lifetime sales by the end of the generation (I'm expecting SFV to cross the 4 million mark before 2020).

SFIV probably inflated because of the re-releases for Ultra and Arcade

SFV didn't get that boost since it was a free update.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Capcom doesn't kill the protable MH line, these numbers show that both console and portable MH can coexist

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Just curious, why do people say DMCV instead of DMC5? Is it easier to type?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Not to mention Street Fighter IV had several revisions that forced you to rebuy the game if you wanted to keep up, where as a Day One copy of SFV allows you to play with everyone.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I knew SF4 was more popular but not by that much. 9m? Jesus that's amazing

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I tought arcade edition and ultra were available as paid uppdates?

They were. Super Street Fighter IV through Ultra Street Fighter IV's model on PC and consoles was almost identical to SFV's.

The outliers are Vanilla SFIV and Super SFIV on 3DS. You can't play the most updated version of SFIV (Ultra) if you bought those two titles.

You subtract those two games from SFIV's 9 million and you're left with 4.3 million units sold that can play Ultra SFIV.

Compare that 4.3 million Ultra SFIV base (on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC) to SFV's 3.7 million base (on PS4 and PC, which can play together via crossplay).

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Just feels stagnated. Compared to the growth other titles had at least.

Probably expected from the genre though.

Well, DMC1-3 were exclusive to PS2. And doesn't have the benefit of other platform re-releases being added to it like games in other franchises. Some have argued putting the 1.2 million from the HD Collection to DMC3, cus let's be honest on why people are getting the HD collection.

DmC is, well..DmC. And DMC4 doesn't have it's PC physical or Steam sales added to it (so its likely much higher than 3M). And the SE of DMC4 hasn't broke 1M yet, so that can't added to it yet (I'm sure its close though).

DMC5 should really determine where the franchise is at. And it's showing pretty good legs (outsold RE2 in the same three month period). I expect a lot more units moved with price drops.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The even numbered Street Fighter games always do the best.

Glad DR4 isn't moving at all. Can't wait to see how Capcom brings back the series.
I doubt they will. With Vancouver now closed the opportunity cost is probably way too high for them to dedicated in house manpower to it. They could always outsource it but for some reason Capcom thinks that when it comes to outsourcing it's either all in or pass.

Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I doubt they will. With Vancouver now closed the opportunity cost is probably way too high for them to dedicated in house manpower to it. They could always outsource it but for some reason Capcom thinks that when it comes to outsourcing it's either all in or pass.
Capcom went on record a couple months ago saying that they still consider it an important AAA franchise. DR1 was made in-house and DR2 had a good chunk of the same talent along with the company that would eventually become Capcom Vancouver. It's only a matter of time.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's a failure from internal expectations just as SFV once was. As long as that 10 million LTD forecast holds over its head.

Capcom never actually called that a failure, they came out pleased with its sales internally and expressed as much in the report.

We know that they wouldn't hold against using that word, since RE6 was classified as that after its fiscal year ended.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Capcom went on record a couple months ago saying that they still consider it an important AAA franchise. DR1 was made in-house and DR2 had a good chunk of the same talent along with the company that would eventually become Capcom Vancouver. It's only a matter of time.
I mean, I know they did, but this could easily have been just some sweet talk for the investors. The problem with how Capcom has been operating lately is their whole AAA or die M.O. When you have cut down so much of your non flagship games, as time goes on it becomes harder and harder to go back to a franchise that is so easily replaceable, whether we like that or not.

Also, I never questioned the talent that Capcom has and how capable they are in making another Dead Rising. That is not the problem here.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
im happy to see Resident Evil 0 has sold well, don't understand why its so hated around here , im enjoying the remastered version old school puzzles , some really creepy visuals, challenging its obviously dated but also a solid horror game imo it got a bad reputation because it released after remake and was a rehash but i have seen it compared to DMC 2 many times and thats just crazy :^(

On the other hand ORC selling more than Revelations 2 👎

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Man you telling me between six different ports (3DS, PS3, XB1, WiiU, Switch and PC) Rev 1 only hit 1.9 mil. Damn that game deserves better. Hell Rev2 does too. I guess budget RE didn't do as well as I thought. Shame.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
CyberNeon you have updates on Lost Planet sales perhaps? Series total bumped 100k, so curious about where. Xbox BC must have helped.

Other than the series sales number moving up 100K , there was no change in Individual games

Man you telling me between six different ports (3DS, PS3, XB1, WiiU, Switch and PC) Rev 1 only hit 1.9 mil. Damn that game deserves better. Hell Rev2 does too. I guess budget RE didn't do as well as I thought. Shame.

RE Revelations 1 is missing the 3DS version in the platinum list , IIRC last known number for it that I know was around 600K

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I kinda miss Lost Planet even though it was trash. So I guess thinking about it, I dont miss it?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Bit disappointed in the DMC5 numbers. Really good linear game. Outside of Sony, those games just struggle to sell from any other publisher. One of my top 10 games this gen and would be very disappointed if the series doesn't get more support

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MHW about to surpass SF2, crazy times.

A MHW 2 next-gen will sell like water in the desert.