• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the release in the same month Sekiro launches has more to say than we are willing to admit.
Anyway, good to hear sales aren't that low.

DMC is a well established franchise.
Sekiro is a totally new game, coming out of Bloodborne creator.

I really doubt it cross path. People who like Soul/Bloodborne type of game is quite different from DMC. If anything, DMC share a lot more with Bayonetta, MGR, and to certain extend GOW. People who care about all action game will buy both anyway. Character action genre has quite a small audience, and they seems to be dedicate to every game that come out. I can't imagine these groups of people will decide to skip DMC V just because of Sekiro.

IMO, it's just the decline of the genre and franchise in general. Not everything has to be competing. DMC V will still sell exactly the same in the month with no other action game.

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Apart from Game.co.uk there isn't really any physical stores to buy games from, the few places you can are way over priced. I don't know anyone who doesn't buy digital.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Imagine actually using UK sales data for anything. Also digital is a lot bigger now, so physical sales aren't really that useful.

DMC5 is a good game, I hope it sells. I bought REmake 2 because it was a good game.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Lol people saying it has a much smaller base of people interested than RE2 had yet DMC5 has the higher peak numbers.
DMC5 is an action game, most fans would take performance over couch comfort with DMC. That being said, that's just one store and it's not exactly direct data, RE2 might have still sold more on steam than DMC5. I mean, it's no secret RE fanbase is way larger than DMC's!!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Apart from Game.co.uk there isn't really any physical stores to buy games from, the few places you can are way over priced. I don't know anyone who doesn't buy digital.
It's cheaper to buy physical online than digital on consoles, especially in the UK.
You're thinking of it as if people bought physical games only in brick and mortars stores, which isn't the case since more than a decade.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
While I understand where the "UK doesn't matter" posts come from but you have to accept that UK is still the biggest market in Europe and it's not trivial at all. DMC's 20k (at retail) in the UK is probably it's best opening in any European country (well UK is not a country but you know what I mean). The only exeptions could be Germany and France.

On the other hand anybody saying the game flopped is really ignorant. The game will do good, Capcom is going to share the numbers soon.
I'm sorry, could I get some context here? I don't understand how a claim that the UK market is the biggest in Europe could even remotely be true. Are we talking by volume sold in every one european country? Even if we did, how is that relevant to weighing how it did in Europe based on UK numbers only.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
We'll hear the 2million shipped+digital announcement soon. I really think so.
Maybe even a higher amount than that

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I really doubt it cross path. People who like Soul/Bloodborne type of game is quite different from DMC. If anything, DMC share a lot more with Bayonetta, MGR, and to certain extend GOW. People who care about all action game will buy both anyway. Character action genre has quite a small audience, and they seems to be dedicate to every game that come out. I can't imagine these groups of people will decide to skip DMC V just because of Sekiro.

IMO, it's just the decline of the genre and franchise in general. Not everything has to be competing. DMC V will still sell exactly the same in the month with no other action game.
I'm gonna guess there's a lot more overlap between these two Japanese action franchises than you give them credit for. I can't think of a single fan of Japanese games of any kind that I either know in real life or follow online that isn't a huge fan of the Souls series. That's a pretty universal thing for the kind of enthusiast that's in to these more niche genres.

It would be like a big film fan who goes to all the festivals and follows all the indie releases not liking The Godfather or something.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I know, that's what the person I quoted was commenting on. More concurrent players doesn't necessarily mean more overall all sales is what I'm saying.
It doesn't necessarily mean that, but it's definitely indicative of it - unless you think the gaming habits of early adopting DMC players are radically different to those early adopting RE players.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I'm sorry, could I get some context here? I don't understand how a claim that the UK market is the biggest in Europe could even remotely be true. Are we talking by volume sold in every one european country? Even if we did, how is that relevant to weighing how it did in Europe based on UK numbers only.

If you visit PAL charts every week like me you can easily draw comparisons. Sales are still way bigger for every game in the UK in comparison to Spain for example. We got top 20 game sales (exact numbers) from France and UK and UK numbers are still bigger. We get platinum sale awards from Germany and UK numbers look better. You can search for threads I don't have time to link everything, but sales-era members will know.

https://ukie.org.uk/research

You can find all kinds of info from the UK market here. It's 5th biggest video game market in the world. The German market actually gained a small lead compared to them so it's actually the 2nd biggest market in Europe, far bigger than any other market except France (but still bigger than them)

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
The revenue it generates the UK is the second
largest market behind Germany.

This table features the top 100 games markets ranked on their revenue estimates for 2018 in descending order. These estimates are based on a combination of primary consumer research, transactional data, quarterly company reports, and census data. The revenues are based on consumer spending in each country and exclude hardware sales, tax, business-to-business services, and online gambling and betting
revenues.

UK sales being a representation of nothing as per usual
Could you please give an example of this. I'll wait.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Except every major supermarket, places like Argos, Currys etc? Although I'd agree that most people buy physical games from Amazon, albeit those sales are included on Chart Track.

Digital is a huge deal in the UK though, I think people underestimate it. Everyone I know just buys digitally now because it's so convenient, including myself.

CRTXP

Feb 1, 2018
Game is sold out most places in the Greater Toronto Area. Had to drive to Milton to snag a copy. I want to support the Cap-Gods.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
lol at using the U.K. market to gauge worldwide performance.

The only thing that's low is common sense when they voted for Brexit.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't understand how a claim that the UK market is the biggest in Europe could even remotely be true. Are we talking by volume sold in every one european country?

European market (software and services only including console/PC/mobile revenue) is ~$22b and UK is $4.731b so UK represents 21.5% of the total market.

Germany is actually (only just) the largest market for videogames in Europe, with UK in second place - based on all videogame revenue across console, PC and mobile. Although that's mainly because PC Gaming is much (exponentially) bigger in Germany, and the higher population weighs in on mobile gaming revenue too. UK will still be ahead of Germany when looking purely at console revenue though.
lol at using the U.K. market to gauge worldwide performance.

Perhaps you could kindly take your borderline racist generalisations and politely shove them up your nether regions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Cool, because that has so much to do with DMC5 sales...thanks for tarring my whole country with the same brush though, I'm sure whatever country you're from has plenty of far-right shitheads too but I'm not going to judge your whole country on it...

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Also nice to see DMC5 referred to as DMC5. No idea where the DMCV keeps coming from.

Not sure if you're serious or making a joke, but :P

header.jpg

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
It deserves all the sales. I'm having a blast with it. Hopefully it keeps selling long term with good word of mouth.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think saying UK retail performance isn't that much of an indicator anymore is unfair.

We've seen all of last year that poor retail performance in the UK didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

And DMC5 didn't even do poorly. It having slightly lower numbers than DMC 4 shows that it's actually doing pretty well.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it IS a DMC game. Correct me if I'm wrong but if game like his sells more than 1-2 million it's a success, right? It's not a mainstream genre.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
lol at implying someone who criticizes Brexit is "borderline racist". That's pretty intolerant actually.

Feb 2, 2019

Hmm I wouldn't be so sure. I was a DMC/Bayo fans, but since I played soulsborne games, I could care less about stylish action games like those. Sekiro killed my hype for DMCV quite fast. I have a hard time taking DMC/Bayo games seriousely after playing soulsborne games. They're different games, but soulsborne seem like the natural evolution/better games to me.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I will never understand why people think UK sales are representative of the sales health of ANY game.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Character action games like fighting games have never been that popular in Europe compared to the US.

The US will make up the majority of the games sales

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I really just don't put to much stock in those UK numbers anymore. They've triggered enough of these panics that it's pretty clear they're just not representative of the actual global market, nor are Japanese numbers. The total market is now too digital and has too large a PC component for these charts to work. I'm also open to the idea that the UK market may just have some taste quirks, similar to the Japanese market, that may lead to some things underperforming.