• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
There's also Avdol from JoJo, who's voiced by Chris Tergliafera (a white guy) in the English dub. A white guy voicing a black character isn't the problem. The voice actor being a racist, transphobic, antisemitic asshole is the problem.

Personally I think it is.

I spoke about this with my friend before in regards to Apu in The Simpson's, I think in that instance, because the voice actor is doing a wide range of characters voices, it's acceptable, especially since writers can add characters in at a later date and want to keep the same voice actors.

However, if you are hiring for a specific role, why would you ever choose a white person to voice a black character when there are so many talented black voice actors?

It makes zero sense whatsoever. Even worse in this instance however considering the guys views.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the dude's voice acting goes back like 4 decades.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0131436/

They probably just put out a casting call and found a veteran voice actor that killed it in the role.

Not defending him, just pointing out how Capcom could have gone about hiring him. Think about any job you've been hired for, unless you need security clearence for some reason background checks aren't usually a thing and they certainly wouldn't pick up your obscene youtube channel with videos with 3k views.

Knew his voice sounded familiar - it's freaking Bosco from Sam and Max.

latest

So yeah, they probably just looked at his resume and went with it. Not to say that such in itself is exactly fine, but the guy's side content was likely not a consideration, hence it got missed. But it is there now.

Reuben being an outright nut is a bit of an eye-opener

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because that's the industry standard atm.

We don't have to like it and we can certainly complain to get it changed, but it's not like this is some anomaly in voice acting, I can name maybe 5 non-white voice actors I know of off the top of my head in the video game industry atm.
Is it really that frequent nowadays? Not calling you out or anything, just curious, because I'd believe that in this day and age the minimum effort would be to have an actual black person to voice a black character.

In any case, yikes, what a weird news to wake up on. :/

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
A white character from the anime turned into a black character in the game voiced by a racist white guy.

Does Japan just hire anyone regardless of their background?

You have Koichi Sugiyama and then you have Pierre Taki.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't defended him,he didn't know what was even happening with him and he made that very clear.
He was talking about his experience with the guy which is fine because that was just his expreince. he didn't defended his actions at all.

Seriously,why even write something like that?
Okay, care to also explain away his comments that Me Too and Black Lives Matter go too far and that people in those movements should just learn to "forgive" in the same video? How about when he victim blames Vic's victims by saying they just need to tell him "No?" Plus he's a QAnon.

There needs to be a thread on Langdon, if someone else won't make it, I will.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Personally I think it is.

I spoke about this with my friend before in regards to Apu in The Simpson's, I think in that instance, because the voice actor is doing a wide range of characters voices, it's acceptable, especially since writers can add characters in at a later date and want to keep the same voice actors.

However, if you are hiring for a specific role, why would you ever choose a white person to voice a black character when there are so many talented black voice actors?

It makes zero sense whatsoever. Even worse in this instance however considering the guys views.
I mean, would I prefer black guy to voice a black character. But unfortunately, there aren't a ton of prominent non-union black voice actors in the industry (something that I want to see rectified). And in Avdol's case, Chris Tergliafera both did a good job & isn't an intolerant asshole, so I'm willing to go along with it in that case.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what happened?
Dude tried to get nude pics from someone underage
This was something that got known after the DMC5 trailer was released, wasnt it? I dont think Capcom can be blamed for that in that case, if that is the arguement. Capcom also pulled the trailer and reuploaded it with another music track once this got known. I dont know what happened with the full game though, was the song pulled from the full game (if it was included to begin with)?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't defended him,he didn't know what was even happening with him and he made that very clear.
He was talking about his experience with the guy which is fine because that was just his expreince. he didn't defended his actions at all.

I'm not saying anything other than the full story is more nuanced. From the Vic thread in OT:
He also engages with Qanon boards on Twitter, you're giving him too much credit. He's an adult that knows what he's doing, if he didn't he could have said something by now but he didn't.

Deleted member 22405

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was something that got known after the DMC5 trailer was released, wasnt it? I dont think Capcom can be blamed for that, if thats the issue. Capcom also pulled the trailer and reuploaded it with another music track once this got known. I dont know what happened with the full game though, was the song pulled from the full game (if it was included to begin with)?
It was heavily edited. Its still in the game. If anything, its better than the original mix.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This was something that got known after the DMC5 trailer was released, wasnt it? I dont think Capcom can be blamed for that in that case, if that is the arguement. Capcom also pulled the trailer and reuploaded it with another music track once this got known. I dont know what happened with the full game though, was the song pulled from the full game (if it was included to begin with)?
The vocalist was replaced with Michael Barr in the final release.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Dont care if they do or dont know.

If capcom doesnt release a patch replacing this guy's voice, then means capcom dont give a fuck.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing how they portray women in DMC5 and following all the previous BS, I am not really surprised. -_-

Ugh I thought they were totally fine. They kick ass (except for the big baddy), do stuff, kill demons, have baller weapons and don't give a fuck about being naked and they also use their sexual appeal to their advantage and don't listen to shit.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It amazes me how many people are willing to defend this shithead. The dude is a MAGA QANON shitfuck. He doesn't deserve nor need you to rush to his defense to defend homophobia and racist shit.

And actually I'm not fine with someone defending someone based on their experiences. It's not relevant at all. If someone is accused of murder a defense is not "he never murdered me".

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Dont care if they do or dont know.

If capcom doesnt release a patch replacing this guy's voice, then means capcom dont give a fuck.
Had this been discovered before the game's launch, I'm sure Capcom would swap the guy out (see Subhuman). Now that the game is out, I'm not too hopeful that they'll change the VA. At best, they may recast Morrison in other DMC games/anime/etc. going forward.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I mean, would I prefer black guy to voice a black character. But unfortunately, there aren't a ton of prominent non-union black voice actors in the industry (something that I want to see rectified). And in Avdol's case, Chris Tergliafera both did a good job & isn't an intolerant asshole, so I'm willing to go along with it in that case.

I am not an expert in this but do you know how many non-union black voice actors there are specifically?

The reason I ask is, I find it difficult to believe that Capcom couldn't find a single black voice actor to fill this role.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I am not an expert in this but do you know how many non-union black voice actors there are specifically?

The reason I ask is, I find it difficult to believe that Capcom couldn't find a single black voice actor to fill this role.
There are a few, I'm just saying that they aren't plentiful as far as I'm aware. I sadly don't have a specific number, I just go by the cast lists of various recent anime dubs.

It amazes me how many people are willing to defend this shithead. The dude is a MAGA QANON shitfuck. He doesn't deserve nor need you to rush to his defense to defend homophobia and racist shit.

And actually I'm not fine with someone defending someone based on their experiences. It's not relevant at all. If someone is accused of murder a defense is not "he never murdered me".
Just curious, where did the Reuben MAGA stuff come from? I recall the mentions of QAnon, but not MAGA.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I understand it because he has a really cool voice lol, people are in a bit of denial.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
There are a few, I'm just saying that they aren't plentiful as far as I'm aware. I sadly don't have a specific number, I just go by the cast lists of various recent anime dubs.

Just curious, where did the Reuben MAGA stuff come from? I recall the mentions of QAnon, but not MAGA.

In a venn diagram the QAnon circle is wholy encapsulated inside the Maga circle. it's like drinking the kool aid then drinking the even kooler aid

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a venn diagram the QAnon circle is wholy encapsulated inside the Maga circle. it's like drinking the kool aid then drinking the even kooler aid
yeah, isn't their whole thing that every politician except Trump is a criminal that only Trump can bring to justice?

if nothing else, it means capcom knew what they were doing when they gave us Boomer Dante in 5 lol

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Thanks for the replies to those who did, I have a more clear understanding now. And while we can always bring up the Phil Lamar = Samurai Jack stuff that was in the past and ideally something like that wouldn't happen again and they would instead get a Japanese actor for that kind of stuff and so on.

I will admit though it's a bit hard to have a full opinion because of how ambiguous certain characters races can be. Without getting into cartoony style territory even I had no idea Kratos was supposed to be black until this thread.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
This is honestly disgusting.

1. Why didn't they hire a black voice actor? There are black actors/voice actors out there struggling for work with real talent and they are getting ignored for no reason at all.

2. Did they not think to check his videos before hiring anyway? Like surely you would do a background check?

This isn't just a "bad look" for Capcom it's downright disgraceful quite frankly.

Have any of the gaming press reported on this yet?

Not going to pretend I know how Capcom goes about this sort of thing, and definitely won't defend them, but in my very small experience in hiring voice actors I literally never see the person unless I go out of my way to do so.

I put up the job info, a portion of the script, and receive VO samples from each person. We pick the person we like best that fits the role. I never do any background check in to the person beyond looking at their past work and potentially a website, so in theory I could see how a person's race may never come up.

I haven't played DMC5, but it sounds like this character may be a smaller role, so theoretically I could see Capcom not really having awareness on this stuff. I guess it comes down to how they handle the news.

Totally different thought: If you are a racist, why are you fine with voicing a black dude?

Often I think you are just forced to separate the artist from the art, otherwise it will drive you insane.
And actually, if I have to compare, I have a bigger problem with their portrayal of women in the series. This is displayed by the game itself and what everyone sees.
Hiring an idiot sure is not a good thing, but who will really ever know about it and think "Oh, then it's ok to be a racist."? Ingame is no sign of racism or anything like that, I actually like Morrison and his scenes.
So the treatment of the female cast bothers me more.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Knew his voice sounded familiar - it's freaking Bosco from Sam and Max.

latest

So yeah, they probably just looked at his resume and went with it. Not to say that such in itself is exactly fine, but the guy's side content was likely not a consideration, hence it got missed. But it is there now.

Reuben being an outright nut is a bit of an eye-opener
No not Bosco. That's definitely going to hurt those games if I ever go back to them.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think real representation in voice acting needs to happen. They did the same with Lifeline in Apex I think and that's a shame

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Had this been discovered before the game's launch, I'm sure Capcom would swap the guy out (see Subhuman). Now that the game is out, I'm not too hopeful that they'll change the VA. At best, they may recast Morrison in other DMC games/anime/etc. going forward.

Compared to the rest of the cast, Morrison's lines are really insignificant. Now, i am totally ignorant if a patch like this to replace some parts of the VA can be made, but if it can be done, Capcom should definitely do it.

Now, let's see how much backlash in the medie and social networks Capcom will get to this, if the repercussions are very low, probably they wont give a fuck.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I swear to god how did DMC5 survive all these things happening around it

The Subhuman thing
The Reuben thing
This thing
The censorship thing

Like a lot of things started catching fire that aren't wholly central to the game but could've definitely sunk it if they didn't handle it properly

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ugh I thought they were totally fine. They kick ass (except for the big baddy), do stuff, kill demons, have baller weapons and don't give a fuck about being naked and they also use their sexual appeal to their advantage and don't listen to shit.
You really think they decided to give them various scenes where they're just suddenly naked out of the blue (or the camera ogles Lady's chest) to showcase them as strong empowered independent women or something?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god how did DMC5 survive all these things happening around it

The Subhuman thing
The Reuben thing
This thing
The censorship thing

Like a lot of things started catching fire that aren't wholly central to the game but could've definitely sunk it if they didn't handle it properly

I'd say it's because they handled the most visible issue prior to the game's launch, where the rest either emerged only afterwards, or would require some digging beyond the game itself and its marketing. The bulk of people playing the game wouldn't likely notice or much care exactly who voices Morrison or their wider work - thus until someone does start poking at it, the mess therein isn't going to be picked up on.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Because that's the industry standard atm.

We don't have to like it and we can certainly complain to get it changed, but it's not like this is some anomaly in voice acting, I can name maybe 5 non-white voice actors I know of off the top of my head in the video game industry atm.
This is unfortunately true. The reverse almost never happens, but when it does, you are sure to hear about it. I think the first time I really thought about it was when Nolan North played Romeo in Halo ODST. I thought to myself that it couldn't be so hard to find a good black VA for the role. I understand that the freedom of the medium is that performers don't have to be confined to their actual race, but seeing as the manifestation of that freedom is so one sided (Nadine in Uncharted as well, though that performance was top notch), it would be nice to see companies attempt to diversify their casts... And casting minority VAs for minority race characters would at least be a step in the right direction.