• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
From the Q&A of the ordinary general shareholders meeting

Q : 昨年『カプコン ベルトアクション コレクション』を販売したが、予定本数に達したか。
A : 販売本数はお伝えしていないが、順調に推移している。

Q : 開発体制の充実について、具体的な取り組みについて教えてほしい。
A : 昨今のゲーム開発はボリュームが大きく、品質も求められているため、5年で約700人の開発人員を採用している。また、マルチプラットフォーム対応のため自社の開発エンジンを用いて、多人数で大規模な開発ができる開発環境を整えるなど、開発体制の充実を図っている。

Google Translation

Q. Last year sold the Capcom Belt Action Collection, but has it reached the planned number?
A. Although we do not tell the number of units sold, they are doing well.

Q.I would like you to tell us about specific efforts regarding the improvement of the development system.
A.Since recent game development is large in volume and quality is also required, approximately 700 development personnel are employed in five years. In addition, in order to support multi-platforms, we are working to enhance the development system by preparing a development environment where large-scale development can be carried out by a large number of people using our own development engine.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/stock/me...apcom_top&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=referer

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of people. I guess they will need it if they are making RE3 remake, RE8 and Dino Crisis at once.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
happy that the bemu collection sold well
we need another one, or maybe even a capcom disney snes collection

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember reading previously that the new hires are basically to bring development back in house for all their games, as opposed to the late Inafune era of outsourcing games to Western developers. Not sure if these are the same hires though, but it makes me excited to see what they've got coming up in the future.

Also glad to hear that Capcom seem happy with the Belt collection, I think I ended up with 3 copies in the end (thank me later Capcom), hopefully this means my outlandish request of a Warzard port is just round the corner.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
"Belt action" is delightful. And so poor at actually describing what it is!

(Although I've wondered if in Japan, these days, "action" is synonymous with some form of melee combat. In which case "scrolling melee combat" is fine)

LunarDuck

Dec 30, 2017
UK
I can see that 'Capcom Project Battle' being a part of this 'World of Capcom'

Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Dogma 2, Street Fighter 6, MvC4, RE8, RE3make on the way too for Next/Cross Gen, the future looks promising for Capcom.

Nov 8, 2017
Every major publisher has been staffing up like a madman over the last 3-5 years as focus shifted to bigger games and ongoing service tails while also developing new products. Like Ubisoft is ~14,000 employees right now and growing.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
And still no new Dino Crisis :p
I hope a couple hundred of those at least are working in some dinosaurs.

Dino.JPG

They mentioned "Dinosaur King " in one of the questions xD

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that means more Belt action and other Arcade releases as special edition collections in the future. I need those big boxes!

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Net hiring of 700 people, or just hired 700 people in general? Because if it's the latter they could have fired like 400+.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Clearly all those Switch ports of last gen games are taking up hundreds of Devs ;P

Gotta wonder what's next up for Capcom. How legit are all those RE3RE rumors and so on?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Allocate everyone to Resident Evil 3 and 8. Make a splinter group for the Dino Crisis PS1 remasters.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Capcom always seemed smaller than it should be, and very reserved when it comes to aggressive releases. For the company that owns two of the three biggest Japanese third party IPs, it's tiny compared to SE and Bamco, and even smaller than today's Sega!

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Can they spare a few of those people to make Ace Attorney 7?

We've been waiting a little while for that one just to get announced, and those games are mostly just text anyway.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
unfortunately that does not translate to higher game output but I hope some of the team started on RE3 already before RE2 remake came out.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Official translation is available → http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/stock/meeting.html#question_40

Q: My son is fervent online game player but says that Capcom's graphics are unsophisticated. Please do something about this.
A: Thank you, we deeply value your opinion. In recent years, with the shift to a digital world, we have become able to collect feedback from players in a manner of different ways. Further, prior to release we carry out repeated player testing, implementing feedback to the greatest possible degree. Going forward, we will continue to work to create games that spark enjoyment and garner praise, and as such request your continued support.

also this:
Q: Have you provided any gifts for shareholders today? I want some original Capcom merchandise.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
"Belt action" is delightful. And so poor at actually describing what it is!

(Although I've wondered if in Japan, these days, "action" is synonymous with some form of melee combat. In which case "scrolling melee combat" is fine)
Belt Action/Scroller is what they've been called since the 80s

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can see that 'Capcom Project Battle' being a part of this 'World of Capcom'

Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Dogma 2, Street Fighter 6, MvC4, RE8, RE3make on the way too for Next/Cross Gen, the future looks promising for Capcom.
Maybe we'll get something like another Resident Evil game that's cross-gen, but I'd imagine most of Capcom's upcoming games are gonna be next-gen exclusively (outside of franchises like Mega Man & Ace Attorney, both of which I'd expect to also show up on the Switch).

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we'll get something like another Resident Evil game that's cross-gen, but I'd imagine most of Capcom's upcoming games are gonna be next-gen exclusively (outside of franchises like Mega Man & Ace Attorney, both of which I'd expect to also show up on the Switch).

I'll note that next-gen is placing a strong emphasis on backwards compatibility, with the PS5 explicitly confirming it for the PS4 and Project Scarlett most likely continuing with the Xbox One what the One did for the 360. Theoretically they could continue to target the current gen without sacrificing next-gen sales all while still transitioning in the meanwhile.

Of course that depends strongly on if they want to, or frankly if they even have the capability in the first place.