• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I just realized this was yesterday. So, what adult games are we getting on Switch?
RE 5, RE 6 and DMC 2.

I know some people are obsessed with Capcom on Switch, but they need to move on. Look, I'm a Capcom fan (if they're on their A-game that is) and would love more to play on my Switch, but just don't expect anything new or recent from them on the system. It will be mostly ports/remasters or smaller releases.

Just expect the following to appear;

Resident Evil CVX
Resident Evil 2 and 3 classic
Devil May Cry 3, 4 or DmC
Asura's Wrath
Dead Rising series
Onimusha 2 HD

And you'll be set

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to suspect Sony has the big japanese AAA publishers under their grasp or whatever reason. At this point, there's no more valid excuse to justify ignoring Switch. Sales? Check. Hardware power? Check. Market reception? Check.

It's no mystery that Sony has strong influence over Capcom and has been like this ever since PSX days and this generation is no different, as Sony was the most benefited from their support, with exclusive deals, temporary exclusiviness and content.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to suspect Sony has the big japanese AAA publishers under their grasp or whatever reason. At this point, there's no more valid excuse to justify ignoring Switch. Sales? Check. Hardware power? Check. Market reception? Check.

It's no mystery that Sony has strong influence over Capcom and has been like this ever since PSX days and this generation is no different, as Sony was the most benefited from their support, with exclusive deals, temporary exclusiviness and content.

It's possible. We'll never know behind the scenes.

I think it more likely though, that the developers want to go for that cutting edge kind of experience, as it gives them the audience of PS4/Xbox One/PC, where if they focus on making a Switch exclusive, it will be locked to that audience. If they make a game for switch and port it up to PS4/Xbox One/PC, it's also likely that it will have a sort of 'budget look' to it, which might not be what they want. They could also try down porting games to the switch, but as it's been shown, that's time consuming, costly, and doesn't always make back what it costs. There's a reason not every publisher is rushing to get their entire library onto switch. The power gap may seem invisible with ports like Skyrim and DOOM, but looking at other ports, it's clear the developers had troubles even getting working (like The Witcher 3).

What it does mean though, is that the Switch is a perfect place to port last generation games. You can get them running much better, add some additional content, and boom. This seems to be what most publishers are doing for their games, since it seems like the best ROI for Switch titles.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So... what is thread about now? Complaing about capcom not putting everything on switch?

Way to simplify legitimate complaints. Capcom had been giving switch owners more expensive ports, Collections with Half or some times more locked to digital downloads, and even collections that the other systems got as one game we get as one game for the same price. They went from having many unique games on the other Nintendo platforms to having (unless I am mistaken) one new game Megaman 11 and nothing else.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Ok first off why do we assume it's a Switch game or you know if was just a drawing .
I just said it in the previous post. I don't assume it's a Switch game, there's just more reasons for it to be one (director, World focus on consoles is different in terms of scope, GU was marketed differently due to the handheld aspect and is just a 3DS port, they're also happy with those sales, etc). Of course it could be a home console only game, but it's less likely. Even a full multiplat game is more likely.
The tease was at the 15th anniversary, from a director that hasn't worked on anything since the first Generations game (GU was directed by the Iceborne director).
there's no such thing
PSP maybe?
That was the joke. The Switch is not the Vita (it's not comparable to when Vita fans were claiming there'd be a MH game on Vita and when people were happy at the Frontier announcement until they learned what Frontier was).

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how can you say this when Capcom was the sole murderer of the Vita.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
RE 5, RE 6 and DMC 2.

I know some people are obsessed with Capcom on Switch, but they need to move on. Look, I'm a Capcom fan (if they're on their A-game that is) and would love more to play on my Switch, but just don't expect anything new or recent from them on the system. It will be mostly ports/remasters or smaller releases.

Just expect the following to appear;

Resident Evil CVX
Resident Evil 2 and 3 classic
Devil May Cry 3, 4 or DmC
Asura's Wrath
Dead Rising series
Onimusha 2 HD

And you'll be set

Add Onimusha 3 and that is basically what I would want from Capcom lol

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
So what was said in the interview? Haven't really looked at every post but is there some kind of summary of the presentation?

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
MV5BNmE0MWQwNmUtNDllOS00OTQ2LTg0NzAtZDkwZDI2NzM2OThhL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

I thought of this when I saw the thread title. I can't be the only one?

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
With Iceborne being released recently I didn't expect anything MH related, and that's about the only Capcom thing I care on Switch.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I just said it in the previous post. I don't assume it's a Switch game, there's just more reasons for it to be one (director, World focus on consoles is different in terms of scope, GU was marketed differently due to the handheld aspect and is just a 3DS port, they're also happy with those sales, etc). Of course it could be a home console only game, but it's less likely. Even a full multiplat game is more likely.
The tease was at the 15th anniversary, from a director that hasn't worked on anything since the first Generations game (GU was directed by the Iceborne director).

That was the joke. The Switch is not the Vita (it's not comparable to when Vita fans were claiming there'd be a MH game on Vita and when people were happy at the Frontier announcement until they learned what Frontier was).
lol I love jokes like that...

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
This just isn't reality, REmake, Zero and RE4 were GameCube exclusives originally, 3DS got Monster Hunter killing the Vita.
Was MHW Moneyhatted? Most likely, but MH4 probably was too by Nintendo.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This just isn't reality, REmake, Zero and RE4 were GameCube exclusives originally, 3DS got Monster Hunter killing the Vita.

Shinji Mikami was the sole reason why RE was GCN exclusive back in the day because he had a fallout with Sony. The Capcom Five deal was because of him, as well. The rest of Capcom wasn't so keen to support GCN, as most of it support was for PS2 with a very few exceptions. In the end, the whole Capcom Five came to PS2, and don't forget the infamous RE4 announcement. Also, Kamiya said he didn't wanted DMC on GCN because the game didn't fitted it's audience. Inafune was cruder, he said GCN was for the kids and didn't wanted Onimusha on it.

Let's check the facts about Capcom and Nintendo after Sony joined the biz:

- Ignored the N64 almost completely and heavily supported the PSX.
- All the facts I said above regarding the GCN/PS2 era.
- Heavily supported the PSP. Sure they got it with DS with Megaman and other efforts, but the balance was clearly in PSP's benefit.
- Wii got a controversial support. Despite big RE4 sales, Capcom never bothered to make a new true RE game afterwards, claiming it couldn't run the "main menu screen". But yeah, Monster Hunter Tri was big deal and they got Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Zak and Wiki, but they were exceptions, as mostly Capcom stayed absent from the platform.
- Yeah, 3DS vs. Vita was a time Capcom truly chose Nintendo over Sony. But not for long, as we can see now they're making a controversial Switch support.

In the overall balance, Capcom has been a Sony buddy.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They could also try down porting games to the switch, but as it's been shown, that's time consuming, costly, and doesn't always make back what it costs. There's a reason not every publisher is rushing to get their entire library onto switch. The power gap may seem invisible with ports like Skyrim and DOOM, but looking at other ports, it's clear the developers had troubles even getting working (like The Witcher 3).

Errr, when have those things been shown?

Also where are you getting that they had trouble porting The Witcher 3? I thought most interviews indicated it was surprisingly painless.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is only after Sony had Monster Hunter for years, inexplicably, as a PSP exclusive series despite millions of dollars being left on the table. I wouldn't say that they're 100% for any one company, but they have ended up doing more for Sony throughout. Capcom as a company was also public about having people within them that really enjoyed throwing support with the underdogs.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Way to simplify legitimate complaints. Capcom had been giving switch owners more expensive ports, Collections with Half or some times more locked to digital downloads, and even collections that the other systems got as one game we get as one game for the same price. They went from having many unique games on the other Nintendo platforms to having (unless I am mistaken) one new game Megaman 11 and nothing else.
tbf its no longer reasonable to expect the same level of support as previous systems, before Nintendo systems could justify exclusive games due to their low development costs and friendly environment Capcom bet huge on 3DS. But making Switch games is pretty expensive and they moved their resources to current gen consoles after watching wii u, understandably.
Problem is their stupid prices but if not for that i would think its decent support with their catalogue of classics the next year we will see many more i bet

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Shinji Mikami was the sole reason why RE was GCN exclusive back in the day because he had a fallout with Capcom. The Capcom Five deal was because of him, as well. The rest of Capcom wasn't so keen to support GCN, as most of it support was for PS2 with a very few exceptions. In the end, the whole Capcom Five came to PS2, and don't forget the infamous RE4 announcement. Also, Kamiya said he didn't wanted DMC on GCN because the game didn't fitted it's audience. Inafune was cruder, he said GCN was for the kids and didn't wanted Onimusha on it.

Let's check the facts about Capcom and Nintendo after Sony joined the biz:

- Ignored the N64 almost completely and heavily supported the PSX.
- All the facts I said above regarding the GCN/PS2 era.
- Heavily supported the PSP. Sure they got it with DS with Megaman and other efforts, but the balance was clearly in PSP's benefit.
- Wii got a controversial support. Despite big RE4 sales, Capcom never bothered to make a new true RE game afterwards, claiming it couldn't run the "main menu screen". But yeah, Monster Hunter Tri was big deal and they got Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Zak and Wiki, but they were exceptions, as mostly Capcom stayed absent from the platform.
- Yeah, 3DS vs. Vita was a time Capcom truly chose Nintendo over Sony. But not for long, as we can see now they're making a controversial Switch support.

In the overall balance, Capcom has been a Sony buddy.
One thing you're missing is Capcom's GBA support.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Such a great showcase throughout the day, they set up a bunch of chairs for the paltry attendees they expected. The whole day was rather quiet with only the bare minimum of seats taken. But then the Adult Masterpiece Switch showcase began. A swarm of starving Switch owners flocked to the stage and fought for the few chairs set up. Someone spilled their milk all over his row due to the roughhousing involved which lead to another two chairs being impossible to sit on. Most of the crowd was standing in awe gasping at the nervous Capcom reps waiting for an announcement to come. An adult take on Phoenix Wright perhaps? A new Monster Hunter? Did they manage to port the Resident Evil engine?. Teetering on the brink of total collapse the crowd got shown what Capcom had in store for them.. the Playstation Store.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Was waiting to see this thread bumped to see what was announced.

Why the fug isn't there a Monster Hunter Switch yet? [Sigh]

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017

Multi-game temporary exclusivity deal on Gamecube, including Resident Evil 4
Various exclusives on Nintendo portables
Making Monster Hunter a Nintendo 3DS exclusive after being established on the PSP (nuking the VITA in Japan)
Exclusives on the Wii, which was a risky move given how 3rd parties were performing on the platform

Last but not least, they are supporting the Switch, and games are coming out, and ports / collections provide a healthy profit, so of course those will continue.

Sometimes I feel people won't be satisfied until each major publisher announces a slate of exclusives on the Switch.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So were the games Capcom showcased supposed to be a secret or something? I can't imagine why they would title their segment "Adult Masterpieces" and not mention the focus being on previously announced software.

I know it's Capcom, and I probably should've kept my expectations in check (tbf, I kinda did, but I'm still left underwhelmed lol*tear*)... but I just wanna know if this showcase was advertised as something Switch owners should have been anticipating as opposed to simply a segment of minor updates to what we've already seen.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Multi-game temporary exclusivity deal on Gamecube, including Resident Evil 4
Various exclusives on Nintendo portables
Making Monster Hunter a Nintendo 3DS exclusive after being established on the PSP (nuking the VITA in Japan)
Exclusives on the Wii, which was a risky move given how 3rd parties were performing on the platform

Last but not least, they are supporting the Switch, and games are coming out, and ports / collections provide a healthy profit, so of course those will continue.

Sometimes I feel people won't be satisfied until each major publisher announces a slate of exclusives on the Switch.

I can counter argue you with my previous post. You're basing your points on exceptions, not the rule. Also, Wii third-party sales were fine, though, especially in it's first years, with solid profits for it's supporters. It was the fact that Nintendo brought an underpowered machine with an unique controller and targeted at casuals that scared away most big AAA publishers.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There is precisely one (1) Capcom game on Switch that isn't a late port/remaster/collection, namely Mega Man 11.

I feel like there's quite a lot of room between this and "a slate of exclusives" but maybe that's just me.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
I can counter argue you with my previous post. You're basing your points on exceptions, not the rule. Also, Wii third-party sales were fine, though, especially in it's first years, with solid profits for it's supporters. It was the fact that Nintendo brought an under-powered machine with an unique controller and targeted at casuals that scared away most big AAA publishers.

And that's not on Capcom. The Wii failing to attract third party support is on Nintendo, not the third parties themselves. They locked themselves out with motion controllers, a launch marketing campaign largely targeting a casual audience, and a vastly under-powered system relative to the industry standard at the time. Capcom still game them exclusives.

Their portable support was filled to the brim with exclusives, and they shifted their prime portable IP to Nintendo as soon as they had a platform that can run it, also as a full exclusive.

Your pattern doesn't exist. Companies strategize and shift resources based on the most feasible road to success, and Capcom's current support for the Switch is following a pattern of low risk and high(enough) reward.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
There is precisely one (1) Capcom game on Switch that isn't a late port/remaster/collection, namely Mega Man 11.

I feel like there's quite a lot of room between this and "a slate of exclusives" but maybe that's just me.

Sure but this pattern of profitable ports works nicely on the Switch, as proven by other publishers, even Nintendo. So it fits the attractive "low risk" approach, especially since this includes major games that never made it to a Nintendo platform until now.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, it's late where I'm at and I should head to bed :p

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And that's not on Capcom. The Wii failing to attract third party support is on Nintendo, not the third parties themselves. They locked themselves out with motion controllers, a launch marketing campaign largely targeting a casual audience, and a vastly under-powered system relative to the industry standard at the time. Capcom still game them exclusives.

Their portable support was filled to the brim with exclusives, and they shifted their prime portable IP to Nintendo as soon as they had a platform that can run it, also as a full exclusive.

Your pattern doesn't exist. Companies strategize and shift resources based on the most feasible road to success, and Capcom's current support for the Switch is following a pattern of low risk and high(enough) reward.

Never said this was Capcom and everything you said about Wii is true, except for the part it wasn't a profitable machine. Despite all the drawbacks, it made big profits for third-parties, including Capcom which RE4 version was the top selling of the game and this wasn't enough to convice them to make another traditional RE game but a lightgun shooter (two of them) instead. There was demand for more games on it but Capcom went the "lol no" attitude.

Yes, Capcom supported 3DS over Vita, but they didn't supported DS, despite outselling PSP by quite a margin, where most of it's portable support was present at the time. 3DS days was an exception and isn't a parameter for Capcom's overall support between Nintendo vs. Sony.

Sorry, but companies aren't Spock-like computers, they're runned by people vulnerable to mistakes and personal decisions. You're being either naive or routing the corporate apologism strawmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.