• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What price did those games launch at on other platforms?

Also I've never heard of either of them and I can't even find anything about a game called Memoria for Switch to begin with.

its Silence not Memoria my bad, they have similar art styles (and they are all daedalic point and click adventures)

they launched at 20, and why would that even matter? it baffles me when people still try to defend this.

Silence is on sale right now 50% on Switch, so... 19.99 to match the normal price on other systems. That's another thing well documented, higher priced so when they are on sale they "match" other systems. Like come on man, its not like im making shit up here, the Switch is hot, and some companies take advantage of it, its that simple. Seems Daedalic loves to do it for example.

Cave Story + was a famous example early on where it was 30 on Switch for no apparent reason when its 15 on other systems, with the excuse being "but but physical" usually.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
And yet every one of the games listed in the OP are permeated throughout with edgy, angsty, teenage level writing.

Checks out.

EDIT: To be clear, I say that with love for the most part. I adore Dead Rising 1, 2, and DmC, but to call them adult masterpieces is hilarious.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
its Silence not Memoria my bad, they have similar art styles (and they are all daedalic point and click adventures)

they launched at 20, and why would that even matter? it baffles me when people still try to defend this.

Silence is on sale right now 50% on Switch, so... 19.99 to match the normal price on other systems. That's another thing well documented, higher priced so when they are on sale they "match" other systems. Like come on man, its not like im making shit up here, the Switch is hot, and some companies take advantage of it, its that simple. Seems Daedalic loves to do it for example.

I wasn't doubting you, I just hadn't seen those titles before. It's something that used to happen all the time back in 2017 when publishers could get away with it but the only one (that I saw) doing it in 2019 was Capcom. And I guess Daedalic.

But costing more currently and costing more than when it launched makes a huge difference. There's an expectation that when you port a game to another platform it has the same price as when it launched on other current gen platforms. It's fair IMO for a developer to charge $60 for DOOM on Switch a year and a half after it launched on PS4/XB1 for $60, even if it has been discounted since. Because it's a new platform and you can't expect them to immediately discount the game again.

But that's just my personal stance on it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't doubting you, I just hadn't seen those titles before. It's something that used to happen all the time back in 2017 when publishers could get away with it but the only one (that I saw) doing it in 2019 was Capcom. And I guess Daedalic.

But costing more currently and costing more than when it launched makes a huge difference. There's an expectation that when you port a game to another platform it has the same price as when it launched on other current gen platforms. It's fair IMO for a developer to charge $60 for DOOM on Switch a year and a half after it launched on PS4/XB1 for $60, even if it has been discounted since. Because it's a new platform and you can't expect them to immediately discount the game again.

yes but dont forget, im talking about base prices. I said nothing about "game should be cheaper because its been on sale on other systems", im specifically comparing base prices. And I believe Doom on switch when it came out (i might be wrong) was still 60 on every system (again, base price).

Deponia 1 for 40€ is just batshit insane :D

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Didn't they announce that dating game which I can't remember the name of? Was that new?
to my knowledge capcom doesnt make dating games.

The capcom ports are excellent, but i really miss the capcom that would make a risk. Its all port port port all the time, especially on switch. I cant remember a single original game besides Megaman 11.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
xT8PJaq.jpg

This is how you play videogames as an adult.
During a hotel stay due to a business trip, slip in your bathrobe, glass of wine in one hand, single joy-con in the other.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
yes but dont forget, im talking about base prices. I said nothing about "game should be cheaper because its been on sale on other systems", im specifically comparing base prices. And I believe Doom on switch when it came out (i might be wrong) was still 60 on every system (again, base price).

Deponia 1 for 40€ is just batshit insane :D

You said "they launched at $20, and why would that even matter" so I assumed you were saying that the original launch price should have no bearing on what the launch price of a Switch port would be, and that's what I was arguing about. Sorry if that's not what you meant.

But yes, the prices for these Daedalic games are a bit nuts. That's not something I knew about before.

to my knowledge capcom doesnt make dating games.

They did (it's even in the link to their website in the OP) but apparently it was just a port of a mobile game. Go figure.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
This whole marketing angle feels weirdly patronizing. Like the default Switch game is for kids and we need this label for the rest.

Anway, guessing DMC3 and maybe Dead Rising 1 if they're feeling generous.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
You said "they launched at $20, and why would that even matter" so I assumed you were saying that the original launch price should have no bearing on what the launch price of a Switch port would be, and that's what I was arguing about. Sorry if that's not what you meant.

But yes, the prices for these Daedalic games are a bit nuts. That's not something I knew about before.

They did (it's even in the link to their website in the OP) but apparently it was just a port of a mobile game. Go figure.
Ah i see, they could suprice me and announce a new MH game by the generations/portable team. But even if that does exist i doubt it will be a priority for capcom.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This whole marketing angle feels weirdly patronizing. Like the default Switch game is for kids and we need this label for the rest.

Anway, guessing DMC3 and maybe Dead Rising 1 if they're feeling generous.

Yep, you nailed it. That's how this whole thing feels.

Really disrespectful of Capcom to be honest.

Why is he holding a glass big enough to contain an entire bottle of wine????

That's how us adults drink wine.

(They actually make giant wine glasses like the specifically to hold entire bottles. My wife has one. She hasn't used it in a while though)

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the guy in the middle is overjoyed at the thought he can finally play Resi4 again after all those years when he first played it on his Gamecube, thanks to his Capcom overlords. Clearly he, like all Switch owners, only owns Nintendo products and therefore was doomed to not being able to experience Resi4 on all these other devices it released on last decade. He's overjoyed with tears that Capcom came down from the heavens and gave him this once in a lifetime opportunity.
Yep, you nailed it. That's how this whole thing feels.

Really disrespectful of Capcom to be honest.

I'm not the kind of person to defend anything Capcom, but I think there's some confusion here based on the translation of a brand made for Japan. When they mean "adult" here it's not the content, but the people they're targetting -- the salary people who grew out of videogames, are more casual and may only have time to play portable systems now (which sell much more than home Playstation, that are more of "dedicated gamer" systems).

The idea seems to be "do you miss playing capcom games? You can do it now on Switch".

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not the kind of person to defend anything Capcom, but I think there's some confusion here based on the translation of a brand made for Japan. When they mean "adult" here it's not the content, but the people they're targetting -- the salary people who grew out of videogames, are more casual and may only have time to play portable systems now (which sell much more than home Playstation, that are more of "dedicated gamer" systems).

The idea seems to be "do you miss playing capcom games? You can do it now on Switch".
Barely anyone missed it because they already could play them on literally every other platform. Now they act like bringing decade old ports to the system is some kind of big initiative. If they really think most adult people didn't game for the last decade they are mistaken.
After they purposefully ripped out DMC1 from the trilogy to sell it at a ridiculous pricepoint compared to the trilogy I just see most of their moves as trolling.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This is God awful and pretty explicative of how Capcom doesn't give a shit about the Switch.

I mean, that's pretty much making fun of Switch owners.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Nice is this where they formally announce The Loin King coming to switch (despite the leak earlier?)
EDEvCP0U0AA1Pro

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

I agree that it's fair ... but it really sucks when a game launches full price on switch super late and then like clockwork the PSN/Steam/xbox sales drop the price to $20 or below ... it happens every time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

So you mean this initiative seems targeted more at lapsed gamers in general? I guess that's less insulting if that's the idea, but it still seems weird that they feel the need to differentiate their games from each other at all.

I mean, the 3DS got its own Resident Evil game but they didn't try and sell that as part of an "Adult Masterpiece" brand. And the 3DS was another portable that did well with the more grown up crowd (in Japan).

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Well, whatever bizarre branding they need to convince themselves to support the switch, I guess. Though if the REs are any indication the prices for ports will be high enough that I'll only buy 1 in 10 of the things I'm interested in.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
From the site in the OP:

Under this image they refer to the Switch ports of Resident Evil, Dragons Dogma, Devil May Cry, and whatever the otome-looking game is as said examples of adult games. So stuff like that.

(Image removed by me)

I still don't get it. When I heard that "adult" speaking, I'm hearing "young teenagers that want to be treated like adults" kind of marketing. I guess I'm too old for this.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barely anyone missed it because they already could play them on literally every other platform. Now they act like bringing decade old ports to the system is some kind of big initiative. If they really think most adult people didn't game for the last decade they are mistaken.
After they purposefully ripped out DMC1 from the trilogy to sell it at a ridiculous pricepoint compared to the trilogy I just see most of their moves as trolling.
I mean, it's Japan, so it's a bit different. The PS3 and PS4 had a huge drop in sales from PS2 and can't even compare to the DS, 3DS and even Switch sales. With Capcom increasingly becoming more irrelevant in their own market, besides Monster Hunter, I feel like this branding exists to try to bring back lapsed Capcom fans that got too old to play stationary gaming machines.

It's not "ADULT = Extreme Hardcore Titles for Gamers", but more "Adult = Hey, you don't have time to game anymore at home? Check this out".

I agree completely that their Switch support is terrible and ripping people off, I just don't think the brand, besides the silly name, is implying anything so bad about the Switch itself.

So you mean this initiative seems targeted more at lapsed gamers in general? I guess that's less insulting if that's the idea, but it still seems weird that they feel the need to differentiate their games from each other at all.

I mean, the 3DS got its own Resident Evil game but they didn't try and sell that as part of an "Adult Masterpiece" brand. And the 3DS was another portable that did well with the more grown up crowd (in Japan).
Yeah, the images have salary workers, that are tipically known to be too busy to stay at home playing videogames for hours. It also is focused on nostalgia. They're basically saying "hey you can now relive the good times on a portable system". While the 3DS had RE, it couldn't get ports from classic Capcom games like the Switch can. And I feel like this a marketing campaign focusing on recovering a bit of lost ground on their home market.

Catalogue sales are a huge part of Capcom's business, so I think they wanted a specific brand to improve these sales in Japan and focus on a different crowd than their usual more "hardcore gamer" fanbase.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Well, whatever bizarre branding they need to convince themselves to support the switch, I guess. Though if the REs are any indication the prices for ports will be high enough that I'll only buy 1 in 10 of the things I'm interested in.

If for "supporting" you mean dumping 2-3 1:1 overpriced ports on the eShop in a year then sure, Capcom sure it's convinced about supporting the system.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
We passed all our tests and have now graduated into adulthood.

Also:

Capcom: "Adults don't complain about things like overpriced ports from years ago games you see."

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yay more overpriced ports, Capgod is back baby. I wish this farce would finally end.
Capcom has graced us this gen with RE7,RE2,REHD,REOHD,OKAMI HD ,Monster Hunter World,REv2,DMC 5,DMC4SE,and MM 11 they have been good except for a few duds like that MvC game

CAPCOM back is justified imo

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Lol why is Capcom treating the switch with such a weird marketing gimmick?? It's like they don't want to be on the platform but are already contracted for some games

Especially weird considering how much Nintendo and Capcom used to sleep in the same bed during the 3ds/ GameCube era
See, that's the thing: the Switch doesn't fit Capcom's current strategy. Their current batch of "prestige" classic IPs as high-end "AAA" just... can't run on Switch in their current incarnations and/or would take too much to port that they probably do not find it worth it. They also obviously had no plans for the Switch to begin with and have since realised they can still make money of that platform while "just" porting ports of old games. Div 1 is doing their own thing with the RE engine (RE3make, whatever Itsuno has up next, Onimusha if that ever gets off the ground, the multiplayer RE game) and Div 2 is all hands on deck on the Monster Hunter projects and the Mega Man project, and whatever Ace Attorney was and sure, those are coming to the Switch, (and will probably sell best there, ngl) but those are not their "big focus" and are ways off and the fighter teams are otherwise preoccupied in trying not to implode before they manage to put out the rest of SFV and SFVI and the Vs. game they've got kicking around, and I doubt any of those fighters will make it to Switch.

As it stands the only things Capcom has in development that could go on the Switch already do. That they do so in underwhelming and dissapointing (and reprehensible? looking at you RE4) ways notwithstanding, they just... don't have the output to do much more. You'll get your Mega Man and your overpriced ports and whatever MonHun Switch ends up being. But unless there's a radical shift in scope, Capcom will keep selling ports and collections that sell best on Switch and not much else.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing more laughable than Capcom''s Switch support is them trying to brand Resi 0, 6 and DMC2 as masterpieces.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it's Japan, so it's a bit different. The PS3 and PS4 had a huge drop in sales from PS2 and can't even compare to the DS, 3DS and even Switch sales. With Capcom increasingly becoming more irrelevant in their own market, besides Monster Hunter, I feel like this branding exists to try to bring back lapsed Capcom fans that got too old to play stationary gaming machines.

It's not "ADULT = Extreme Hardcore Titles for Gamers", but more "Adult = Hey, you don't have time to game anymore at home? Check this out".

I agree completely that their Switch support is terrible and ripping people off, I just don't think the brand, besides the silly name, is implying anything so bad about the Switch itself.
Yeah you're probably right.
Capcom has graced us this gen with RE7,RE2,REHD,REOHD,OKAMI HD ,Monster Hunter World,REv2,DMC 5,DMC4SE,and MM 11 they have been good except for a few duds like that MvC game

CAPCOM back is justified imo
As a PS4 owner, I think they are better than they've ever been.
As a Switch owner, they can fuck off into the sun.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever it is/they are it/they will be overpriced, digital only and old. And if there's an amiibo of a character that is in the game it won't be sold in my country.

That's just the default place for me whenever Capcom teases anything for this platform, learning from precedent set by Capcom already. They have disappointed almost every time so my expectations are nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.