• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
See, that's the thing: the Switch doesn't fit Capcom's current strategy. Their current batch of "prestige" classic IPs as high-end "AAA" just... can't run on Switch in their current incarnations and/or would take too much to port that they probably do not find it worth it. They also obviously had no plans for the Switch to begin with and have since realised they can still make money of that platform while "just" porting ports of old games. Div 1 is doing their own thing with the RE engine (RE3make, whatever Itsuno has up next, Onimusha if that ever gets off the ground, the multiplayer RE game) and Div 2 is all hands on deck on the Monster Hunter projects and the Mega Man project, and whatever Ace Attorney was and sure, those are coming to the Switch, (and will probably sell best there, ngl) but those are not their "big focus" and are ways off and the fighter teams are otherwise preoccupied in trying not to implode before they manage to put out the rest of SFV and SFVI and the Vs. game they've got kicking around, and I doubt any of those fighters will make it to Switch.

As it stands the only things Capcom has in development that could go on the Switch already do. That they do so in underwhelming and dissapointing (and reprehensible? looking at you RE4) ways notwithstanding, they just... don't have the output to do much more. You'll get your Mega Man and your overpriced ports and whatever MonHun Switch ends up being. But unless there's a radical shift in scope, Capcom will keep selling ports and collections that sell best on Switch and not much else.

I hate to say it but I think the time for "this can't run on the Switch" excuses is long over. Capcom could definitely bring their big AAA games to Switch if they wanted to spend the time and money on it. If CDPR can find the budget to port a bigger and more demanding game than anything in Capcom's library when they're working on their biggest game ever then Capcom can definitely do it, if they cared to.

The thing that really gets me about this excuse is the Resident Evil series. RER1+2 sold more on Switch than they did on PS4 and XB1 combined if I'm remembering correctly, yet people (and hell, maybe Capcom execs) think that porting the RE Engine and bringing over 7 and/or RE2R wouldn't be worth the porting budget. I simply can't understand that position. The series has done exceedingly well on Nintendo consoles overall, yet now they are content with leaving them behind.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About Capcom's Switch support. I'm not even so sure about the future of Ace Attorney. I think eventually there will be a 7th game, but that series is one bomba away from getting axed. It just doesn't fit Capcom's current plan of making only big games and focused on the west, Ace Attorney is the complete opposite of that and is in a decline sales-wise in Japan, while Capcom's efforts to sell it in the west are worse than what niche companies do with text-based games -- even bomba series like Zero Escape had physical releases, while 3DS AA titles didn't.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About Capcom's Switch support. I'm not even so sure about the future of Ace Attorney. I think eventually there will be a 7th game, but that series is one bomba away from getting axed. It just doesn't fit Capcom's current plan of making only big games and focused on the west, Ace Attorney is the complete opposite of that and is in a decline sales-wise in Japan, while Capcom's efforts to sell it in the west are worse than what niche companies do with text-based games -- even bomba series like Zero Escape had physical releases, while 3DS AA titles didn't.

Yeah the praise people are giving Capcom for their handling of certain franchises obviously isn't coming from AA fans because they've handled that series dreadfully as of late. Having a presentation/event or whatever it was that they teased in advance last year which was just the announcement of yet another AA Trilogy was the final straw for me. Whether or not they don't care anymore remains to be seen but I agree that there's no point in getting excited or anticipating an imminent announcement considering that debacle and other recent disappointments surrounding the franchise.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
The name reminds of the GameCube era, when there was this big issue of the "kiddy" perception of the brand.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but it will release on PS4 and PC now which guarantees strong western sales.:P

Yeah the praise people are giving Capcom for their handling of certain franchises obviously isn't coming from AA fans because they've handled that series dreadfully as of late. Having a presentation/event or whatever it was that they teased in advance last year which was just the announcement of yet another AA Trilogy was the final straw for me. Whether or not they don't care anymore remains to be seen but I agree that there's no point in getting excited or anticipating an imminent announcement considering that debacle and other recent disappointments surrounding the franchise.

I think they expected the trilogy being multiplat to have a bigger impact than it did.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
xT8PJaq.jpg

This is how you play videogames as an adult.
During a hotel stay due to a business trip, slip in your bathrobe, glass of wine in one hand, single joy-con in the other.

He must be playing DMC on Easy Automatic.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but it will release on PS4 and PC now which guarantees strong western sales.:P

I think they expected the trilogy being multiplat to have a bigger impact than it did.

Yeah that's reasonable, but regardless of the outcome there the way they handled the announcement of it was terrible. Like most of everyone who was excited for that announcement had already played all 3 of those games at least once, and IIRC they teased it in such a way that led to reasonably believe that it would be exciting.

Now AA being multi platform is obviously a good thing but like Heartskips said the outlook is grim and they've not communicated anything since that would justify giving them the benefit of the doubt. Never mind the obvious elephant in the room of AAI2 and DGS1&2, which only serve as constant and negative reminders of how poor the situation is.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's reasonable, but regardless of the outcome there the way they handled the announcement of it was terrible. Like most of everyone who was excited for that announcement had already played all 3 of those games at least once, and IIRC they teased it in such a way that led to reasonably believe that it would be exciting.

Now AA being multi platform is obviously a good thing but like Heartskips said the outlook is grim and they've not communicated anything since that would justify giving them the benefit of the doubt. Never mind the obvious elephant in the room of AAI2 and DGS1&2, which only serve as constant and negative reminders of how poor the situation is.
It's funny that they thought it was a good idea to market that event as big for AA fans to announce the same GBA trilogy they re-released already on DS, 3DS and even mobile. The Switch release in Japan only did 7k and the PS4 one managed to sell even worse with 4K and this is re-release that they paid for a whole anime just to promote.
While it makes sense to expand the series on multiple platforms I doubt anyone there went thinking "wow I hope they re-release the trilogy for the 5th time". Their decisions with this franchise are so tone deaf.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
What the Ace Attorney series has going in it's favor is that doesn't require much budget. Yes there is a large script but minimal voice acting and a ton of reused assets.
I also think the series is more popular in the West than Capcom realizes

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that they thought it was a good idea to market that event as big for AA fans to announce the same GBA trilogy they re-released already on DS, 3DS and even mobile. The Switch release in Japan only did 7k and the PS4 one managed to sell even worse with 4K and this is re-release that they paid for a whole anime just to promote.
While it makes sense to expand the series on multiple platforms I doubt anyone there went thinking "wow I hope they re-release the trilogy for the 5th time". Their decisions with this franchise are so tone deaf.
You forgot the Wii.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I hope they are adult because they are based on 18+ years old Capcom series. I'd take DuckTales 3[D] please!

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this whole "Adult Masterpiece" brand initiative pretty much proves how Capcom out of touch with the Switch audience is. They don't know who the audience is and how to support it.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Plot twist: DMC V

(never happening, but a collection of the past games would be nice)

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an adult that likes masterpieces, I'd be pleased with a Breath of Fire 1-4 collection, along with a video of an intern tracking down and destroying every last copy of Dragon Quarter.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this whole "Adult Masterpiece" brand initiative pretty much proves how Capcom out of touch with the Switch audience is. They don't know who the audience is and how to support it.

I think they know. They know Switch owners more likely to buy lots of games at the same time. They just port whatever last gen game they can find to make some quick buck.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they know. They know Switch owners more likely to buy lots of games at the same time. They just port whatever last gen game they can find to make some quick buck.

I think it's more the case of that they have to advertise the fact that they're doing this specific thing of releasing 'adult games' on the Switch and have some sort of event for it as if it's at all noteworthy or something when DOOM & DOOM Eternal, TW3 and MK11 just... happened/happening without this kind of fanfare because those companies have already got this ages ago that Capcom seemingly haven't.

zelig

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Not expecting anything meaningful. Actually, I'm curious if Capcom found new ways to insult the Switch-audience :D

My Capcom-attempt: switch-ports of the Wii-on rails shooter. :/

As a PS4 owner, I think they are better than they've ever been.
As a Switch owner, they can fuck off into the sun.

I wish more people here would understand/accept this. I've seen many threads where basically primary-PS4-users defend Capcom saying stuff like "well, well, well, Capcom's support is quite good for what the hardware is, hurr durr".

Not only does Switcher 3 disprove all hardware concerns, but think of this, dear PS4-user: would you be happy if your PS4 only got what Capcom released on Switch? No? Mhm ...

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they would use live video footage and photograph actors in a Phoenix Wright or a police drama styled game but toned down for a TV drama viewing audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.