• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So were the games Capcom showcased supposed to be a secret or something? I can't imagine why they would title their segment "Adult Masterpieces" and not mention the focus being on previously announced software.

I know it's Capcom, and I probably should've kept my expectations in check (tbf, I kinda did, but I'm still left underwhelmed lol*tear*)... but I just wanna know if this showcase was advertised as something Switch owners should have been anticipating as opposed to simply a segment of minor updates to what we've already seen.
I think it was advertised as every show was at tgs but then like within the hour of it starting they released the actual schedule of it which was looking bleak and then they still undelivered

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Never said this was Capcom and everything you said about Wii is true, except for the part it wasn't a profitable machine. Despite all the drawbacks, it made big profits for third-parties, including Capcom which RE4 version was the top selling of the game and this wasn't enough to convice them to make another traditional RE game but a lightgun shooter (two of them) instead. There was demand for more games on it but Capcom went the "lol no" attitude.

Yes, Capcom supported 3DS over Vita, but they didn't supported DS, despite outselling PSP by quite a margin, where most of it's portable support was present at the time. 3DS days was an exception and isn't a parameter for Capcom's overall support between Nintendo vs. Sony.

Sorry, but companies aren't Spock-like computers, they're runned by people vulnerable to mistakes and personal decisions. You're being either naive or routing the corporate apologism strawmen.

Companies are in fact ran by people, who often rely on 'spock like' computers to outline the data from which they make their strategic decisions. And yes, that data can often be misread, misinterpreted, poorly arranged / obtained, or otherwise compromised, and that leads to mistakes. Looking at where Capcom stands at the moment, I'd say they've been doing pretty well. That's not naive, and it sure as hell ain't a strawman or corporate apologist approach to this argument.

In any case, you've drawn your lines, I've made my points, no need to discuss this further.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Shinji Mikami was the sole reason why RE was GCN exclusive back in the day because he had a fallout with Sony. The Capcom Five deal was because of him, as well. The rest of Capcom wasn't so keen to support GCN, as most of it support was for PS2 with a very few exceptions. In the end, the whole Capcom Five came to PS2, and don't forget the infamous RE4 announcement. Also, Kamiya said he didn't wanted DMC on GCN because the game didn't fitted it's audience. Inafune was cruder, he said GCN was for the kids and didn't wanted Onimusha on it.

Let's check the facts about Capcom and Nintendo after Sony joined the biz:

- Ignored the N64 almost completely and heavily supported the PSX.
- All the facts I said above regarding the GCN/PS2 era.
- Heavily supported the PSP. Sure they got it with DS with Megaman and other efforts, but the balance was clearly in PSP's benefit.
- Wii got a controversial support. Despite big RE4 sales, Capcom never bothered to make a new true RE game afterwards, claiming it couldn't run the "main menu screen". But yeah, Monster Hunter Tri was big deal and they got Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Zak and Wiki, but they were exceptions, as mostly Capcom stayed absent from the platform.
- Yeah, 3DS vs. Vita was a time Capcom truly chose Nintendo over Sony. But not for long, as we can see now they're making a controversial Switch support.

In the overall balance, Capcom has been a Sony buddy.

Capcom's relationship with Sony was never as strong as it is today. in general, Japanese companies favored working for 1 console maker over the years and ignoring the others, Capcom never did that.

Capcom released Resident Evil titles on Saturn and N64.
Code Veronica was on DC, exclusively.
They supported the GC strongly.

Thing is, from what we hear, their relationship with Sony wasn't the best because Sony at the time was denying a lot of third parties 2D games, and Capcom used to produce a lot of those... Street Fighters and Mega Mans.

From my point of view, I think Capcom also developed a strong relationship with Iwata over the years. I remember a problem they had with Sony about MH Portable in the west but I don't remember the details exactly. after that, they had a deal and moved the series to 3DS.

They never liked/wanted to work under a single company, they always supported everybody.

After Iwata's death, I think their relationship with Nintendo now is not as strong as it was at all. If someone like Iwata requested an exclusive game from Capcom, it will be very hard for them to say "no". he had strong connections and his death was a big blow to Nintendo.

But now there is a new management and the relationship between them is not very strong right now. and MHW happened and turned out to be the best selling game from Capcom ever. after that, Capcom maybe for the first time in its history, is acting like all other Japanese companies, and heavily favoring PS over the others.

Man... even their leaks, like the Mega Man Zero collection, was for PS4, they are doing everything in their power to push their users on the platform, in a way I've never witnessed before from them.

People used to joke how Capcom put its games on everything, yet we have a system from Nintendo that is probably on its way to sell 100m device, and Capcom didn't release a single new game for it other than Mega Man 11.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Capcom's relationship with Sony was never as strong as it is today. in general, Japanese companies favored working for 1 console maker over the years and ignoring the others, Capcom never did that.

Thing is, from what we hear, their relationship with Sony wasn't the best because Sony at the time was denying a lot of third parties 2D games, and Capcom used to produce a lot of those... Street Fighters and Mega Mans.

From my point of view, I think Capcom also developed a strong relationship with Iwata over the years. I remember a problem they had with Sony about MH Portable in the west but I don't remember the details exactly. after that, they had a deal and moved the series to 3DS.

They never liked/wanted to work under a single company, they always supported everybody.

After Iwata's death, I think their relationship with Nintendo now is not as strong as it was at all. If someone like Iwata requested an exclusive game from Capcom, it will be very hard for them to say "no". he had strong connections and his death was a big blow to Nintendo.

But now there is a new management and the relationship between them is not very strong right now. and MHW happened and turned out to be the best selling game from Capcom ever. after that, Capcom maybe for the first time in its history, is acting like all other Japanese companies, and heavily favoring PS over the others.

Man... even their leaks, like the Mega Man Zero collection, was for PS4, they are doing everything in their power to push their users on the platform, in a way I've never witnessed before from them.

People used to joke how Capcom put its games on everything, yet we have a system from Nintendo that is probably on its way to sell 100m device, and Capcom didn't release a single new game for it other than Mega Man 11.
The other problem is that Capcom is pivoting more towards AAA experiences, which is generally working worldwide. The problem regarding Nintendo is that the Switch generally isn't powerful enough for those new games, barring console exclusivity deals like MHW in Asia & SFV worldwide (though it'd be both problems in MHW's case). And with next-gen on the horizon, that power gap is only gonna get wider.

As for the Z/ZX leak, I thought that was mainly Sony fucking up on their end.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Good post, but some observations:

Capcom's support for PS4 (even PS3) is anywhere close to the PS1 and PS2 days. By that time, most of their games were either exclusive or avaliable first on Sony platforms with few exceptions. They got some support for other platforms? Sure, but most of them ended up in a Sony platform on a way or another. For Capcom relationship with Sony to be on that same level, they would have to release games like RE7, DMC5, MHW (in Asia at least was), Megaman 11, Dragon's Dogma, etc., exclusive or timed exclusive for PS4. This is no longer the case nowadays. Sure, I agree Capcom seems to have a preference for Sony, but is an incorrect statement to claim their Sony support today is the strongest ever.

I agree with you that Iwata was the link for the good relationship between both companies in the 3DS days, although I have my remarks about his third-party support mentality, as he made several statements antagonizing third-party support during his tenure (and even Yamauchi's). I think Sony took the opportunity to approach Capcom more after Iwata's death in order to kept it them away from supporting Nintendo.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, even if people have been liking Capcom lately I have been hating them. I dont care much about RE and DMC, MHW is a great game but it isnt worth sacrificing the portable line for it and the worst of all, they killed most of their minor franchises, AA in particular hurts the most

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
"Adult masterpieces".. You can really tell those who came up with the title are not fluent at English. :P

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure but this pattern of profitable ports works nicely on the Switch, as proven by other publishers, even Nintendo. So it fits the attractive "low risk" approach, especially since this includes major games that never made it to a Nintendo platform until now.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, it's late where I'm at and I should head to bed :p

My point is that you can't expect people to be happy with this level of support when many other publishers do a better job without making any Switch exclusives.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
But Capcom already has an adult masterpiece.
It's Poker Ladies, and Capcom was so ashamed of it they published it under a pseudo in the arcades. Look it up !

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough to remember when petty was a bad thing.

I like petty.

Edit: dude was banned in under an hour. Look at gawd!

Status
Not open for further replies.