• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56841

User requested account closure
Banned
May 18, 2019
This was from their big Q&A they recently did that also revealed they had several titles using the RE Engine in development . http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/data/exp..._top&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=referer#indv

Made a thread to discuss what was mentioned since this is the first bit of new official Street Fighter info in a while.

In the Q&A, Capcom was asked on the state of Street Fighter regarding Street Fighter V and its future titles. Capcom responded with:
"We would like to explore ways to provide added value to players, such as features that heighten their sense of immersion," Capcom's representative replied. "However, we have nothing specific to share at this time. We will examine this issue based on the data we gather through upcoming league play."

The japanese page actually elaborates further:

Q: 次の「ストリートファイター」では、eスポーツでの活用を考慮した変化は起こるのか。
A: 現時点では未定ですが、例えば、プレイヤーごとにキャラクターをアレンジできる要素などを加えれば、ゲームへの没入感を高めることや、プレイヤーへ付加価値を提供することができるでしょう。今後のリーグ運営を通じ得られるデータをもとに検討していきます。

Translation is rough, but essentially; Capcom is looking into implementing customization into Street Fighter, or as they word it "arranging characters to fit the players."

That last bit actually seems especially significant. It's vague as to if they simply mean cosmetic customization, or if we're getting our first hint as to a major system in the next Street Fighter.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Make a deal with Sony and Microsoft for online play without ps+ or gold. Then you win me over as a customer.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Hard to tell anything from this. This reads to me as him saying a whole lot of nothing, which is exactly what the SF team has been saying the since Kage. Yes we know they're working on something, but this is too vague a statement to bother with.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Customization for players is hopefully not as limited as it is in SFV. Would love to have many options to customize things like my profile page ingame.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
God, I hope it's not a character creator. Something about putting that into a Street Fighter feels like taboo.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I've taken that to mean a greater focus on story content, hopfully put together more slickly than the current one (and available at launch rather than months down the line). Likely more ways to customise your character beyond just costumes too; maybe borrowing from MK11's swappable loadouts for a single-player "World Tour" style mode?

I definitely feel that the main push will be on making a more "complete" package available day one that's appealing to players who aren't as interested in the competitive side of the genre. As much as folk complain about SFV's Crush Counters, limited defensive options and VTrigger robberies and want system changes; those folk will likely be buying a new numbered Street Fighter day one anyway.

Anyway it definitely sounds like a new Street Fighter game is something we can expect in the early years of next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Two hundred Chun-Li outfits pls.

Also keep the thighs thicc.
So more DLC costumes then lol

I'm sure all fighting game devs are seeing what its doing for Tecmo so it wouldn't surprise me.

God, I hope it's not a character creator. Something about putting that into a Street Fighter feels like taboo.
Wouldn't be surprised to see this either.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make a deal with Sony and Microsoft for online play without ps+ or gold. Then you win me over as a customer.

Get the PC version. I'm just hoping Capcom keeps crossplay, I have my doubts after they removed it in MVCI.

Character creator that allows custom chars to be used online would be trash. It's the worst thing about SC6. VF/Tekken-style creation would be awesome, and you could put in enough outfits/colors per char to keep folks engaged without GaaS.

Right now , SF6 is in prove it territory for me, as are 2D fighters in general. The only FGs I enjoyed this gen at all beyond a couple months were Tekken and SC.

F2P SF won't happen. Too many folks who buy the game would instead just buy 1-2 chars and they'd lose a ton of money and they'd piss off TOs and the FGC with F2P elements. Given how SF5 pissed off enough in the FGC they'd risk killing the franchise outright with F2P. If anything they should go back to the SFIV model and just sell yearly expansions for $30-40, but allow folks who don't buy to play with the old content.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's so sad that Street Fighter has had such a hard generation. It will always be my favourite fighting game series.

Next gen, they need to go in hard. Proper single player campaign and large cast of characters right out of the gate with top level production.

Feb 24, 2018
I like that everyone seem to have thought the same exact thing, doesn't help that the added value thing kind of gotten adopted in the past few years because companies like Activision and EA to justify lootboxes and Microtransactions.

Hmm? Value for me is story driven arcade modes, sort of like an advanced version of 4 had with the fight your rival, intros and outros, secret boss and mini games, a good story mode that doesn't have to follow the mold Mortal Kombat's ones have moved to, never more unique modes like the Street Fighter Dance off mode (this isn't actually a joke and a good reason for it), finally confirming Juni or Juri (or both) x Cammy and a good amount of characters right from the start.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Someone played MK11 I see. It'l be nice to at least have custom costumes like almost every other self respecting fighting game.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Value? Make all post launch characters free then we'll talk. Like how Blizzard does with Overwatch.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's so sad that Street Fighter has had such a hard generation. It will always be my favourite fighting game series.

Next gen, they need to go in hard. Proper single player campaign and large cast of characters right out of the gate with top level production.
I do think that we'll get a decent amount of modes, but I'd imagine that the roster will be on the smaller side since numbered SF games typically start from scratch asset-wise.

Street Fighter 6 with insane visuals with RE engine #believe
The RE Engine in its current form doesn't lend itself very well towards alternate costumes, a cash stream that Capcom wouldn't want to give up so easily. That coupled with the fact that nobody outside of Capcom Dev 1 has been able to use the engine yet, & you can understand how unlikely SFVI using the RE Engine is.

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds to me like they'll be doubling down on the F2P like model they had for SFV, and adding even more stuff for players to buy this time around (think of gears and costumes from MK11/InJ2).

I wonder if they'll actually do a F2P release for the next SF or if they try to do F2P model with a full price release once again.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
F2P SF won't happen. Too many folks who buy the game would instead just buy 1-2 chars and they'd lose a ton of money and they'd piss off TOs and the FGC with F2P elements. Given how SF5 pissed off enough in the FGC they'd risk killing the franchise outright with F2P. If anything they should go back to the SFIV model and just sell yearly expansions for $30-40, but allow folks who don't buy to play with the old content.
Nah, splitting the player base is never a good idea, a lesson Capcom learned the hard way with SFIV. SFV had the right idea on this front, all balance updates & new modes should be free, with only stuff like characters, stages, & costumes being paid for. Basically treat it like SFV: Arcade Edition.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter VR

In terms of customization for games like SF you can only do so much outside of cosmetics before the community is turning that stuff off so we'll see what they come up with.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The whole special move customization from MK11 could be interesting to see in Street Fighter. Most of the cast has had enough variations throughout the series to actually have moves to pull from. And it's not like Street Fighter hasn't done selectable supers or ultras before, so why not go even further?

But honestly, anything that leans more towards esports just makes me more likely to skip it. As long as it has decent high level play and a versus mode that's fast to set up and use, it will be played competitively. Support that outside the game and you're already there. I want to see a Street Fighter that leans casual next. Tons of weird single player modes, mix and match costume customization, and every character has at least one target combo for new payers to use. Oh, and the game is designed for a four button controller. Shoulder buttons are reserved for boosting to EX moves or similar. Stop making controls made for arcade machines if there isn't going to be an arcade version. Every single other game is based on the main system controller unless there's a pack-in replacement, you know like guitars or cardboard pianos.

Basically, play Mortal Kombat and Smash Bros and take notes. These games sell eight digit numbers, yours does not. Learn from that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The whole special move customization from MK11 could be interesting to see in Street Fighter. Most of the cast has had enough variations throughout the series to actually have moves to pull from. And it's not like Street Fighter hasn't done selectable supers or ultras before, so why not go even further?

But honestly, anything that leans more towards esports just makes me more likely to skip it. As long as it has decent high level play and a versus mode that's fast to set up and use, it will be played competitively. Support that outside the game and you're already there. I want to see a Street Fighter that leans casual next. Tons of weird single player modes, mix and match costume customization, and every character has at least one target combo for new players to use. Oh, and the game is designed for a four button controller. Shoulder buttons are reserved for boosting to EX moves or similar. Stop making controls made for arcade machines if there isn't going to be an arcade version. Every single other game is based on the main system controller unless there's a pack-in replacement, you know like guitars or cardboard pianos.

Basically, play Mortal Kombat and Smash Bros and take notes. These games sell eight digit numbers, yours does not. Learn from that.
Because it'll just cause more confusion. There are already complaints about certain moves in NRS games being locked behind certain customizations. And if you're gonna do variations like MKX, you'd might as well go the whole 9 yards & make a different character. Likewise, the button lay-out is definitely a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

The only thing SFVI needs to fix is the lack of content at launch. SFV was already pretty damn accessible from a gameplay perspective (maybe too accessible in the eyes of some within the FGC).

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter 6 with insane visuals with RE engine #believe
I know it would look good but photo-realism isn't what i'd be into in a new street fighter, that's what tekken or DOA or any Netherrealm game is for.
They have proven their realistic rendering chops with DMC5 and RE2remake.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But honestly, anything that leans more towards esports just makes me more likely to skip it. As long as it has decent high level play and a versus mode that's fast to set up and use, it will be played competitively. Support that outside the game and you're already there. I want to see a Street Fighter that leans casual next. Tons of weird single player modes, mix and match costume customization, and every character has at least one target combo for new payers to use. Oh, and the game is designed for a four button controller. Shoulder buttons are reserved for boosting to EX moves or similar. Stop making controls made for arcade machines if there isn't going to be an arcade version. Every single other game is based on the main system controller unless there's a pack-in replacement, you know like guitars or cardboard pianos.

Esports is where the money is, moreso than traditional sales.

Capcom's efforts have been pretty successful and they're doubling down on it.

There was always going to be growing pains, but capcom has set themselves up to be on par with league, siege, Overwatch in the future.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But again, you still have the two main problems with the RE Engine...
  • Currently only available at Capcom Dev 1.
    • Capcom's fighting games, Street Fighter included, are made at Dev 2
  • Extremely limited in its alternate costume potential.
    • See RE2 Remake's limited costumes & DMC5's lack of costumes
...on top of Street Fighter's various design philosophies (Ex: big hands & feet to make attacks easier to read) clashing with what we know the RE Engine is capable of. Either way, having to scan in models for each character could eventually prove to be expensive, especially when DLC is factored in (which would begin to come close to the issue with alternate costumes.

In all likelihood, unless those two issues are resolved soon, I'd imagine that Street Fighter VI will stick with Unreal Engine 4.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
But again, you still have the two main problems with the RE Engine...
  • Currently only available at Capcom Dev 1.
  • Extremely limited in its alternate costume potential.
    • See RE2 Remake's limited costumes & DMC5's lack of costumes
...on top of Street Fighter's various design philosophies (Ex: big hands & feet to make attacks easier to read) clashing with what we know the RE Engine is capable of. Either way, having to scan in models for each character could eventually prove to be expensive, especially when DLC is factored in (which would begin to come close to the issue with alternate costumes.

For the first point, we don't know anything about the availability of the engine this is a weird thing to say. Second point, photogramety isn't a requirement, it's just a modelling / texturing technique nothing more.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For the first point, we don't know anything about the availability of the engine this is a weird thing to say. Second point, photogramety isn't a requirement, it's just a modelling / texturing technique nothing more.
But photogramety is one of the main claims to fame for the RE Engine, & is one of the reasons why RE2 Remake didn't go too crazy with alternate costumes. That's not something Capcom would be cool with for SFVI, especially considering how much money alternate costumes seem to be making for SFV with the sheer number of them.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
GGPO and playing online have a good payout of in game currency or rewards.

wtf @ MK and SFV having more rewards playing CPUs than humans, keep the online popping so people want to spend most of the time there instead. New color or outfit? Time to grind single player! is wack, we need online to have a worthwhile reward for playing and better reward if you can hit some onlne milestones

Examples IMO bonus for 5/10 win streaks, ranking up, playing X00 of matches, winning < X00 matches

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
But photogramety is one of the main claims to fame for the RE Engine, & is one of the reasons why RE2 Remake didn't go too crazy with alternate costumes. That's not something Capcom would be cool with for SFVI, especially considering how much money alternate costumes seem to be making for SFV with the sheer number of them.

Photogramety is not the only way to make good looking costumes. This is not a all or nothing scenario.

Nov 13, 2017
MK has been a game changer as far as skin and customizations go. I would love a version of SF that had that level of customization for characters, a decent story mode, and cool stuff like the crypt.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
GGPO and playing online have a good payout of in game currency or rewards.

wtf @ MK and SFV having more rewards playing CPUs than humans, keep the online popping so people want to spend most of the time there instead. New color or outfit? Time to grind single player! is wack, we need online to have a worthwhile reward for playing and better reward if you can hit some onlne milestones

Examples IMO bonus for 5/10 win streaks, ranking up, playing X00 of matches, winning < X00 matches
For what it's worth, MvCI's netcode (which is a modified version of SFV's) is fantastic. I say just iterate on top of that.

Photogramety is not the only way to make good looking costumes. This is not a all or nothing scenario.
But I'd imagine that Capcom would want costumes with a ton of movement if SFV is any indication. Either way, that still leaves the issue of scanning in models for each character, unless that fits in with what you said about alternate costumes. And as far as we know, the RE Engine has been used for more realistic games, something that doesn't fit with Street Fighter.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I know, i am just waiting for the show case of a 60 fps megaman legends type stylized games. I just want to see a first example, because they seem really into and are rightfully proud of realism at this moment in time.
I'd imagine that Mega Man games would either stick with MT Framework or go to UE4. At least with Mega Man games, the Switch is a lucrative market to the point that I'm pretty sure even Capcom knows that it'd be unwise to ditch it.