• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Source: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2021/annual_2021_01.pdf

Highlights:
RE3make a "hit

Screenshot_304.png

Dev Strategy & Pragmata
Screenshot_308.png

Sales Milestone by Country
Screenshot_305.png

——————

There's more interesting tidbits throughout the report such as more Sales Data & the gap between worldwide sales and Japan for their major IPs.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im genuinely surprised that RE3 was seen as a hit. It sold considerably less than 2 (not to mention critical reception). I suppose budget wise it may have been smaller? But really I have no idea. I just wish they'd not cut nearly as much from it as it did...

I'm excited to see more of Pragmata when it eventually hits. But overall, glad just to see Capcom doing far better these days than they were a couple of gens back.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
LETS GO RE REMAKE 3 IS GREAT!!!
For real Im so happy the game did well. Really excited to see Pragmata. Hopefully we get news at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Im genuinely surprised that RE3 was seen as a hit. It sold considerably less than 2 (not to mention critical reception). I suppose budget wise it may have been smaller? But really I have no idea. I just wish they'd not cut nearly as much from it as it did...

They reused ton of stuff from RE2.

They created all the high quality assets, animations and VFX for RE2 and they reused them for RE3. Like, RE3 hardly had anything *new* compared to RE2, excluding the new characters of course.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
Damn, it's rare to see a map of Africa that isn't blank in game companies's financial results.

Jun 20, 2021
I'm guessing the Village DLC will just be new difficulties rather than premium expansions for the time being.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Pragmata is the one with the moon and Kojima-esque trailer right? Looks very interesting.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
83% of their game sales for the fiscal year were digital if I'm doing the math correctly.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on their internal expectations which were apparently met (it reused a lot of elements from RE2 so it was probably much cheaper to develop). Not every game needs to sell a ton to be successful.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
No mention of Dino Crisis, the dream is dead...Bury it lol

Suprised to not see a mention of Stories 2 that was the best pokemon game all year.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Never really understood the perception that REmake 3 was a failure simply because some found it disappointing and it didn't sell or review as well as other entries. It still sold and reviewed well.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I'm surprised it seems Capcom has no interest in upgrading RE7-2-3 for current gen consoles. There was that rumor from Dusk that RE7 was in the works, but that looks all but dead now

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I understand quibbles at full price, but at the £15 ish RE3R is an absolute lean, mean pleasure. I could have done without the Sewers but it was a short, sweet palette cleanser and I appreciated it

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
image.png

Wild. While Japan is unfortunately Nintendo land(outside of some series like DQ and MH) at least Capcom and other Japanese devs/pubs able to fine success outside of the country. Especially when they end of making majority of sales outside of Japan.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 was easily worth the £35 I paid at launch. Really happy to so it do so well for them... hopefully this means we get to see more of the best characters in the new games.

Oct 25, 2017
It still sold 4 million, it's not like it was a slouch.

Wont be surprised if it is close to 5M when Capcom updates Platinum page in the next few days , last known number was 4.4M in June 2021

Personally the game was a big disappointing as a Remake for me ( Solid game tho , but not for $60 ) , but Commercially wise it seems the budget for the game wasnt that much so its sales seems to be a hit and made good profit compared to the budget

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's a hit. It sold 4.5M+ despite Capcom cheaping out on it big time. The dev budget was probably about three twinkies and a bag of smarties and the design doc like one and 3 quarters pages long written in crayon. Anything like that selling as much in 1.5 years is a hit.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in Pragmata. Their first new AAA IP in years, sci-fi, a Kojima-esque trailer... curious what the game will play like.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on their internal expectations which were apparently met (it reused a lot of elements from RE2 so it was probably much cheaper to develop). Not every game needs to sell a ton to be successful.

Did RE3 really reuse assets from RE2, or were they just developed in conjunction and shared assets throughout development?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if World 2 will transition over to RE Engine or if they'll stick with MT Framework? I recall Tsujimoto saying that there were some things that could only be done on MT that really benefits MH. But even they moved MH onto the RE Engine with Rise.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Did RE3 really reuse assets from RE2, or were they just developed in conjunction and shared assets throughout development?
It's this. If RE3 "merely reused assets from RE2" then by that logic RE2 used RE3 assets. Capcom sat on RE3 and released it after 2, but they were developed side by side with teams from the same groups (K2, Redworks, M-Two, internal Capcom) from what I've heard.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Here's an idea Capcom. License the RE Engine. Seriously, it's awesome. Let others use it and make some more money.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I have nothing against the game itself but i felt scammed for preordering the most expensive edition of RE3, so my feelings towards being a hit is a mix of 'great' and 'screw you capcom'.
Hopefully i learned my lesson and no more blind faith.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they have yet to bother properly upgrading RE2 and 3 for next gen :-(

I'm surprised it seems Capcom has no interest in upgrading RE7-2-3 for current gen consoles. There was that rumor from Dusk that RE7 was in the works, but that looks all but dead now

Keep the faith, it may be that they are delaying next gen updates for these because they want to make sure 2, 3, and 7 (and 8, of course) will support PSVR2. All my fingers are currently crossed.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

I'm excited to see more of Pragmata when it eventually hits. But overall, glad just to see Capcom doing far better these days than they were a couple of gens back.

You can see REmake 3's smaller budget all over it. Technically it's inferior to REmake 2, it reuses a ton of assets from that game and is a much smaller product. Even it the marketing you can see that as well. Not to mention it wasn't developed in-house. It would be surprising if Capcom expected it to sell as much as the other recent RE titles.

I don't like to say it, but REmake 3 feels to me a cash grab. They didn't really want to put the effort and resources needed to create a high quality title, but they also realize the name alone could allow it to move a lot of units, even at full price. And they were correct.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You can see REmake 3's smaller budget all over it. Technically it's inferior to REmake 2, it reuses a ton of assets from that game and is a much smaller product. Even it the marketing you can see that as well. Not to mention it wasn't developed in-house. It would be surprising if Capcom expected it to sell as much as the other recent RE titles.

I don't like to say it, but REmake 3 feels to me a cash grab. They didn't really want to put the effort and resources needed to create a high quality title, but they also realize the name alone could allow it to move a lot of units, even at full price. And they were correct.
Sad but true. Cashgrab sounds harsh but it kinda is... as you say the reused assets are very clear to see and it does feel like a smaller budget release - from the reused assets, the short run time, the large amount of cuts compared to the original game in terms of enemies, locations and bonus modes.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Keep the faith, it may be that they are delaying next gen updates for these because they want to make sure 2, 3, and 7 (and 8, of course) will support PSVR2. All my fingers are currently crossed.
I would be all about fresh coats of paint for RE7-2-3. Those 3 still look beautiful today especially RE2R. Fresh coat, RT, etc? Yup yup yup

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wonder if World 2 will transition over to RE Engine or if they'll stick with MT Framework? I recall Tsujimoto saying that there were some things that could only be done on MT that really benefits MH. But even they moved MH onto the RE Engine with Rise.
If the rumors are to be believed, the only reason they used MT Framework for MHW was because Panta Rhei went belly-up & RE Engine wasn't ready yet when MHW was in development. Though since MH Rise has since made the switch to the RE Engine, I'd expect MH6 to follow suit.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are still going to bother with RE:Verse. We haven't heard a peep on it since it was delayed to next year. Wouldn't be surprised if it's shelved and Village gets free DLC instead.

Would love next gen upgrades for 7, 2, and 3.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
Speaking about Pragmata , their official Twitter page still lists it for 2022 with more info in 2021 lol , and AFAIK Capcom capcom didnt mention a delay despite Sony's slip up that it will release in 2023

https://twitter.com/PRAGMATAgame

Probably gonna announce the delay when we're in January as that seems like the time where companies announce date changes for game releases.

Of course it's possible that it will be at the game awards but I kinda doubt that.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I wonder if they are still going to bother with RE:Verse. We haven't heard a peep on it since it was delayed to next year. Wouldn't be surprised if it's shelved and Village gets free DLC instead.

Would love next gen upgrades for 7, 2, and 3.

considering how little they've talked about re:verse since its launch 5 months ago, im guessing they've decided to abandon it.

yet another re multiplayer game abandoned without much commitment from capcom

edit: nope, im completely wrong. capcom announced in july that re:verse got delayed to 2022. there's still hope!

Last edited: