• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Capcom back to its best?

• Yes

Votes: 1,056 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 242 14.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 400 23.6%

• Total voters
Aug 26, 2018
By end of 2016, Capcom was struggling. Street Fighter V flops, RE had lost its charm with the tepid responses to RE5 and RE6, Dead Rising 4 bombed. Capcom had lost a lot of goodwill and mindshare built over decades.

Fast forward to today, the success of RE7 has resurrected the franchise, MHW is the best selling Capcom game ever, RE2 Remake projecting to be a major hit , Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection beats expectations, the stock has gained 80% in last 18 months and DMC5 already looking mighty good to be another major success for Capcom.

Not everything has been smooth sailing though, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite sank without a trace, the In-Game Ads in SFV have been terribly received unsurprisingly, Mega Man 11 didn't do much, Capcom telling investors about transitioning to GaaS has caused some concern from Gamers on the future of their SP Experiences moving forward.

However, I feel Capcom went back to their roots with RE, MHW and found success. Took a hard decision to put Dead Rising on the backburner and focus on their existing titles.

Do you guys agree Capcom is arguably enjoying one of its best periods in its history?

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a similar thread last year. Yes, they are back. The only thing I'd like to see is a new IP or two. But I'm not really complaining, because RE7, MHW, Mega Man 11, and REmake 2 are all incredible, DMC5 looks great, and they've been consistently re-releasing their legacy content on modern platforms. I adore Capcom these days. Even SF5 is pretty good now.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited that they have finally gotten their shit together. Now if only Square Enix could learn from them.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I enjoyed RE7, today's Capcom doesn't compare to the quantity/quality/variety combo of output they had in the '80s and '90s.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We got great new Mega Man, Resident Evil, and Monster Hunter titles, with a spectacular-looking Devil May Cry on the horizon.

SFV is still a bit of a mess, but outside of that, things are looking up.

... Now get me Mega Man Legends 3 and a new proper Dino Crisis!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoyed RE7, today's Capcom doesn't compare to the quantity/quality/variety combo of output they had in the '80s and '90s.

This is true for literally every video game company still in existence today from that era. Even Nintendo, the publisher with the most output each year. Direct comparisons to the 80's and 90's is very difficult, because the industry has changed drastically in the decades since.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not yet, not completely. They were able to mostly salvage SFV & make other great games (MHW, RE7, RE2, MM11, likely DMC5, etc.). But the Versus series is the one glaring omission keeping them from CapGod status. They aren't CapGod again in my eyes until they bring the Versus series back to its former glory in every regard, not just gameplay ('cause MvCI definitely had good gameplay).

As such, I voted "Maybe" to signify how close they are to restraining godhood.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
They have yet to deliver Dragon's Dogma 2, but they certainly are on the right track with all the goodness they've unleashed recently.

Dr_Biscuit

Oct 28, 2017
France
The cherry on the cake would be a proper sequel to Lost Planet Extreme Condition.
(I would be okay with a remaster/remake).

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
They are my favourite publisher thanks to Monster Hunter World, the new Resident Evil games and DMC V. Now we need Dragon's Dogma Online in the west and a sequel and a new Viewtiful Joe and they win this generation.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish their fighting games could keep up with the rest of the company, because whew. They're so close

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
They're are unquestionably back to Capgod status. MvCI was unfortunately a flop that wasn't entirely their fault, but I'm confident they can do a Capcom Vs or something to that effect to resurrect that series (even if that particular game probably isn't coming back from the brink).

Resident Evil 2 is amazing.

DMC 5 is shaping up great.

I actually loved Mega Man 11 so if they offer more MM collections (Battle Network, Zero/ZX) and an X9 then I'll be over the moon (but not stuck on the moon lol).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Mega Man 11 didn't do well? Says who?

Not yet, not completely. They were able to mostly salvage SFV & make other great games (MHW, RE7, RE2, MM11, likely DMC5, etc.). But the Versus series is the one glaring omission keeping them from CapGod status. They aren't CapGod again in my eyes until they bring the Versus series back to its former glory in every regard, not just gameplay ('cause MvCI definitely had good gameplay).

More on Disney/Marvel handicapping them. I'm sure the license isn't cheap either.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
They never really left. They have tons of great games and IPs. Some of them don't do as well as others.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I just wish they could get their fighting games back on track.
SFV is a great game and it's come a long way, but MVCI was a wasted opportunity and i'd like to see another fighting game from them this gen, whether it be a revival, new IP, or new VS game.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
By end of 2016, Capcom was struggling. Street Fighter V flops, RE had lost its charm with the tepid responses to RE5 and RE6, Dead Rising 4 bombed. Capcom had lost a lot of goodwill and mindshare built over decades.

Fast forward to today, the success of RE7 has resurrected the franchise, MHW is the best selling Capcom game ever, RE2 Remake projecting to be a major hit , Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection beats expectations, the stock has gained 80% in last 18 months and DMC5 already looking mighty good to be another major success for Capcom.

Not everything has been smooth sailing though, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite sank without a trace, the In-Game Ads in SFV have been terribly received unsurprisingly, Mega Man 11 didn't do much, Capcom telling investors about transitioning to GaaS has caused some concern from Gamers on the future of their SP Experiences moving forward.

However, I feel Capcom went back to their roots with RE, MHW and found success. Took a hard decision to put Dead Rising on the backburner and focus on their existing titles.

Do you guys agree Capcom is arguably enjoying one of its best periods in its history?

Source about Mega Man 11 sales? The collection hit a million pretty fast so I doubt 11 is doing much worse.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Despite recent quality and success of some of their tentpole titles, Capcom was far more prolific in the past. Even just a generation ago (PS360,Wii,DS,PSP).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
More on Disney/Marvel handicapping them. I'm sure the license isn't cheap either.
I'm not faulting Capcom entirely for MvCI, but they do still hold a fair share of the blame. Even if Marvel dictated the art style, Capcom could have executed it better. Even if the Fox ban screwed over the Marvel side, Capcom could have done better with their own side.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They're on their way, last thing they need are really exciting fighting games again (Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs Capcom 3)

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't want to be non-sensical but how much of Capcom's downturn with it's pivot to the west could be blamed on Inafune?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Eh. Still waiting for a coop action RE game, a new MegaMan X/Zero game, and a Street Fighter game.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They won't be back to me until they put out a less controversial Street fighter and pump out another Lost Planet and AAA bionic commando

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say they are already back to their golden age level, but they are nearing the end of the redemption arc

RE Engine games on next gen is the saga-ending power boost that will crown them

In any case, they are back as best japanese third party developer

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
KV8CuYE.png